Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
HERE WE GO! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Kerrzhe posted:

i never noticed the rider is holding a girl....

I'M GOING TO SAVE MINFILIA OR POSSIBLY AWAKEN FILIANORE AND DISPELL THE DREAM WORLD OF THE FURTIVE PYGMY, AND NOBODY IS GOING TO STOP ME!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Kerrzhe posted:

i never noticed the rider is holding a girl....

wtf... same! I've never seen her before now.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The roller coaster's rolling into the station, and we're all ready to be packed in like sardines for this one.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Does Kheris have every non-ShB and EW job at 70? Or are there some she still hasn't picked up? I ask only because of the things this expansion does in lieu of job quests (don't know if we can mention them, at least conceptually, yet - I assume it would have been known contemporarily but obviously Sang wants to remain untempered).

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

lines posted:

Does Kheris have every non-ShB and EW job at 70? Or are there some she still hasn't picked up? I ask only because of the things this expansion does in lieu of job quests (don't know if we can mention them, at least conceptually, yet - I assume it would have been known contemporarily but obviously Sang wants to remain untempered).

Every pre ShB job except Blue Mage is 70 or higher, yes

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ah, my least favorite title screen, come to roost again. Looks like we'll be riding hogs for a few more years.

There's a lot that could be said about that analysis, but it'd be too easy to stray into confirming or denying elements, so instead - it'll be interesting to go back and compare notes once the expansion is through.

Historically, though: the first teaser trailer dropped November 16, 2018. The most recent FFXIV patch at the time was 4.45, which had dropped a little over a week prior on November 5, 2018 - this had Eureka Pyros and the part of Hildibrand where they catch up with Yojimbo after he takes the blade.

This teaser has the duel with "Zenos", the Kuribu fight, and just a bit of the Thancred interlude (not really showing his extended fight or mentioning Minfilia's name). It does have the voice saying to "Become the Warrior of Darkness", though. At the time, there is no major speculation in the player base that the story will turn us towards the First, and it's still taken as granted that we're pushing towards Ilsabard next. Everyone does immediately identify the gunblade as one of the next jobs, though.

The second teaser trailer dropped February 2, 2019. The most recent FFXIV patch was 4.5, which had dropped January 7, 2019 - about a month prior. The final quest was The Face of War, which ends after Alisaie has also succumbed to the mystery voice and we see that "Zenos" (Elidibus) has arrived at the front - the conclusion of the main story is still nearly two months to its drop (3.56 is March 26, 2019).

This teaser adds the Urianger and "Master Mayota" scene, and the extended Thancred and Minfilia scene. It's still not clear that we're headed to the First, yet, though, so there's a lot more speculation about where exactly everybody is at this point and what's going on. There is a minor game leak in 4.55 (which only added Eureka Hydatos) that spoils Hrothgar in some of the localizations (I want to say the French localization had a line that wasn't scrubbed that mentions them) - they hadn't been shown at a FanFest yet at that point.

The full trailer dropped March 23, 2019 (scant days before the patch), and at the last FanFest in Tokyo, it's no longer a mystery where we're going. So just before we got to meet the source of the Mystery Voice in game, those following the official reveals already knew where our next destination was.

Sanguinia posted:

THERE'S MY BOY! AND HE'S SQUALL NOW!!! :swoon:

Sanguinia posted:

Not a story spoiler, just an LP one: I saw on Lodestone you had Dancer already!

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Runa posted:

HOOOOOOME

RIDING HOOOOOME

I'm so excited for this - this LP has really given me insight on a bunch of things I missed on my play through, and I can't wait to see what Sang makes of all this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

That is the meanest thing I've ever heard anyone say about Thancred.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

I'M GOING TO SAVE MINFILIA OR POSSIBLY AWAKEN FILIANORE AND DISPELL THE DREAM WORLD OF THE FURTIVE PYGMY, AND NOBODY IS GOING TO STOP ME!

That's a rude thing to call Tataru.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Brill.

Excited for you to pick up GNB and DNC in the course of events.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I had basically sworn off MMOs as a concept, they never grabbed me longer than a month or two and the interface style of hotbars gave me aches

Plus there's like, way too much story to deal with and there's no way it could be worth it

The only final fantasy game I'd ever played was too strange and put me to sleep, so I had no love for anything aesthetically or iconically.

The few times I knew anyone who even played an MMO, I usually couldn't stand to hang out with them for any time at all. Grouping was impossible.

I could not be convinced to try it.

Then I heard that song. Not even in trailer form. Just a song tossed in a chat channel for a joke about someone's demon-spawn rpg character.

I started playing the game at the time of Shadowbringers.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Sanguinea posted:

The lines about the "hindmost devils" are probably the most mysterious in the song, but I think we're meant to interpret it as conveying a sense of sympathy, or even shared identity, between these demons and the singer. The insults toward Heaven are clues about how we should feel about devils in and of themselves, but there's also what the devils are doing: burning out their lives in a blaze of glory. Early to rise, singing when twilight comes, and never sleeping until they die links directly with the line about "our," souls and how their remaining moments are brief but bold.

I'm not sure why they are "hindmost," devils, but I have a theory. We'll come back to that.
There's a saying about "Hell take the hindmost" or "Devil take the hindmost", meaning every man for himself, but I like to think that the hindmost is also where you find the vanguard during a fighting retreat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Technically if we're the Warrior of Light and Darkness now, are we the Warrior of Twilight? Or will Dot Hack come for our kidneys if we claim that? This was the expansion and the promotion for it which got me to try FFXIV and write about it as part of my Masters thesis. My reasoning for such was that FF3 originally told us that, while we the warriors of Light were fighting the Flood of Darkness, that before our time the balance was restored by Warriors of Darkness battling the Flood of Light and seeing that FFXIV was going to, effectively, actually showcase the ideas and themes from this FF3 backstory bit was like... I'm so in.

Also, Dark Knight Glam posting time now.

For me, I always try to hit the class fantasy in my glam without relying too heavily on any one set. For DRK, I really wanted to hit Cecil's SPRITE specifically for Dark Knight The art was always the full mask but I find the half-helm with the eyes hidden to be much cooler. The SHB Dark Helm was the first to hit that for me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That is the meanest thing I've ever heard anyone say about Thancred.

Long after I had finished Shadowbringers I had a moment where I looked back and realized that, based on my main GNB outfit at the time, Thancred and I were basically off-brand Squall and Seifer, clothingwise. He wore a white/grey longcoat, and I wore a short, black leather jacket.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
Hell yes! Ground floor, ground floor

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So this establishes that Thancred's eyepatch was entirely for the asthetic.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

I spent a lotta months with a white bandage covering my eyes and pointing my gunblade slightly off-center at the 'camera' in my portrait.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Kerrzhe posted:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

RIDING HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

Hell yes. Ground floor.

Goddamn, I love this trailer. Heavensward and Stormblood are great trailers, don't get me wrong, but this slaps. The music, the little stories it tells, the visuals ... The Scions get major glow-ups, you get to run through all your trailer jobs to date and it all drives home the message that this challenge, whatever it might be, is new. Your experiences so far aren't going to be enough. "I promise you, Minfilia" still goes hard after however many times I've watched it and that little riff (I think? No musical vocabulary here) once the camera enters the tower (5:09 in the trailer) will never not rule.

I can't wait to see where you go from here.

Sanguinia posted:

As the vision fades, some little shithead appears to taunt us.

oh boy :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr Pepper posted:

Half of every decision Thancred makes is based on what will get the ladies talking about him.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Dr Pepper posted:

To be fair, he said as much to Kheris when she asked him about it. What's weird is that the last time we saw him without the eyepatch, the covered eye was blue. Not milky white like Y'sthola, like a bright, clear blue.

I'll probably bring that up again whenever I meet him in the game, assuming his in-game model also changed the eye, because it's pretty curious to me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, one point about the trailer and the opening song that got left out in the analysis:

quote:

We fall
We fall
We fall
We fall
Unto the end

This section of the lyrics is juxtaposed against the Warrior of LightDarkness rising from the ground as he blasts away the "proud angel" that had him at its mercy mere seconds ago. Make of that what you will, but regardless of whatever symbolism it's meant to convey, it's an undeniably badass moment in a trailer full of badass moments. :allears:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I remain deeply annoyed that Eternal Wind Violin bit doesn’t have it’s own standalone song version.

i would accept a primals performance with a violinist in its place :colbert:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

W.T. Fits posted:

This section of the lyrics is juxtaposed against the Warrior of LightDarkness rising from the ground as he blasts away the "proud angel" that had him at its mercy mere seconds ago. Make of that what you will, but regardless of whatever symbolism it's meant to convey

Our fall IS our rise baby.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
This is gonna be a wild ride, and I'm here for it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

There aren't enough :allears: in the world.

Chronometry
Jul 19, 2022

Sanguinia posted:

Chapter 0: My Evil Ways

BUT I CAN'T HIDE

Man, this is gonna be a good one. Waiting warmly for the next update.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Shadowbringers was the first expansion launch I experienced in FFXIV. Ironically, in contrast to all the hype the expansion now enjoys, I recall community excitement in the lead-up to the expansion being fairly lukewarm.

Playing during late Stormblood, the base assumption everyone had was the next expansion would be focused on Ilsabard, and taking down the Garlean Empire. As details of the next expansion slowly rolled out, it was met with a large amount of confusion. Shadowbringers? Become the Warrior of Darkness? Fighting the Light? The conclusion some drew was that the expansion would be about us needing to go around kicking puppies in order to address some sort of cosmic need for centrism between good and evil, others would say that's probably not what its going to be about, and discussions and speculations would go around in circles as we awaited more news and 4.x patches.

I look forward to following your journey though... whatever the heck this is going to be.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ground floor! :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hell yeah. God that trailer is good

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Become....the Warrior of Darkness!

Hell yeah! So excited for Shadowbringers. That's probably still my favorite trailer of all of 14. Can't wait to see you get into this and find out what's happening.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Yes.... It begins.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Shadowbringers is when FF14 stops feeling like a Final Fantasy-themed game and starts feeling like a Final Fantasy game imo

Regy Rusty posted:

Hell yeah. God that trailer is good

The Shadowbringers trailer is so loving good. I watch it again every so often lol

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Yes yes yes yes yes let's goooooooo!

I rewatched the whole Shadowbringers trailer before taking in Sang's breakdown, and aaah man, it still gives me chills. It is very distinctly different from the approach prior trailers have taken (voiced character lines! Sokken just rocking the hell out!) in the name of being hype as hell. It is full of cool things for people that don't know the context, and exciting Holy poo poo What stuff for people that do know the context, and drat if it is not a convincing enticement to subscribe now and become the Warrior of Darkness.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yes, yes! Shadowbringers might be an expansion at risk of being even more overhyped that Heavensward, but I think it does deserve that reputation.

Also obviously Y'shtola is just going into her goth phase Matoya denied her for all her 23 years of life because Matoya thought it was cringe.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

:sickos:

Ground floor! And ready to ride home!

Chillgamesh posted:

The Shadowbringers trailer is so loving good. I watch it again every so often lol

And yes, this. I think it's the best trailer they've ever done. This isn't to cast aspersions on the others, but Shadowbringers is just lightning in a bottle. I'm so, so looking forward to this weird, insane, and absolute rollercoaster of a trip.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
How many years have come and gone since that day? Since Sang posted their first impression...
How many years have I waited for this moment? Almost three bloody years that's how many !

Shadowbringers trailer is peak hype, on top of everything that's happening, the guitar riff hits just so hard with its loudness and "dirtyness" after the clear angelic voice of Amanda Achen, right into my musical taste, Soken is just a beast.

Enjoy the MSQ, warrior of light

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Shadowbringers! The expansion that I've heard so much about and ultimately made me get into FFXIV! I should really finish up Stormblood and actually do the Shadowbringers.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Show me the Champion of Light: I'll show you the Herald of Darkness! Lost in a never ending night, diving deep to the surface!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clifton779
Aug 24, 2017
A thing about the song I don’t find mentioned a lot is that it’s a counting song. The repeated motif of lines beginning with 1,2,3,4, or repeated 1’s, is an interesting motif that makes the song almost seem like an old folk tale or legend.

Also, wooooo ground floor.