Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

lines posted:

I'm totally going to make Lila's parents now, this is great.

Leá Caneroit (Liliheureux after marriage) and Eduard Liliheureux, and their child Lila Liliheureux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its not a great photo but I did get one of my parents

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Feldegast42 posted:

:golfclap:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

you can tell you have your fathers eyes

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hogama posted:

Since Sanguinia isn’t watching the PLL, all I can say is that it is going to be a pretty dramatic graphical change mid-LP lmao

I can say at bare minimum that I should have no problem getting all the way to the end of the Base MSQ part of the LP before the graphic update comes through, so that should help with any visual whiplash.

On a related note, this week's chapter is going to be somewhat delayed because I put more than 20 hours into the game this weekend without really meaning to. >_>

Edit:

I actually have made in-game models for Kheris' parents, but its hard to make Miqote look older.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
Just subscribe to the F'lhaminn school of thought and dress the parents in old people clothes and glasses to make them look old

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

I can say at bare minimum that I should have no problem getting all the way to the end of the Base MSQ part of the LP before the graphic update comes through, so that should help with any visual whiplash.

On a related note, this week's chapter is going to be somewhat delayed because I put more than 20 hours into the game this weekend without really meaning to. >_>

Edit:

I actually have made in-game models for Kheris' parents, but its hard to make Miqote look older.

See, we told you, once you go Eureka you never go back

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Sanguinia posted:

Yep, 5.0 will do that to a person.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sanguinia posted:

I put more than 20 hours into the game this weekend without really meaning to. >_>

Welcome to Shadowbringers

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yep, 5.0 will do that to a person.

a tesleen will be subjected to a fate worse than death on every page

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

lmao

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sanguinia posted:

On the bright side, you came out of Diadem with level 90 miner and botanist.

Or at least that's how it is for me. Wrath of the Lich King gath ring caused me to become someone who likes clicking on shiny point for things until I completely collapse, and I had more fun doing that through Stormblood and the first half of Shadow than the more single player campaign inspired stuff. (Also, Ishgard Restoration was in full gear so people were buying that poo poo.)

Due to time fuckery, that whole process took about four minutes on the first world.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 15, 2024

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sanguinia posted:

At this rate, you're going to finish 5.0 before the next update. :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's how you know Shadowbringers is the good stuff

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

At this rate, you're going to finish 5.0 before the next update. :allears:

Kheris is in sort of a lull at the moment plot-wise so I am once again in a mental place to exercise some restraint. The way the plot's momentum works and how much breathing room it does and doesn't allow itself at various points will definitely be something I'll be talking about as time goes on. It's a very different animal to Stormblood's pacing and geography oddities AND ARR and HW's relatively lackadaisical story structure that made it easy to dip in and out of the plot at several points to go do other things.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Kheris is in sort of a lull at the moment plot-wise so I am once again in a mental place to exercise some restraint. The way the plot's momentum works and how much breathing room it does and doesn't allow itself at various points will definitely be something I'll be talking about as time goes on. It's a very different animal to Stormblood's pacing and geography oddities AND ARR and HW's relatively lackadaisical story structure that made it easy to dip in and out of the plot at several points to go do other things.

express design of shadowbringers, incidentally. High tempo followed by low tempo, giving you a chance to breathe before getting you back into things.

the twins are the last mid-tempo bit of the cycle for a while- it would be low-tempo, but they're establishing the stakes and so there's a little more urgency to the exercise. it will be a hot minute before things calm down to 'theoretically Kheris might wander off and do something else around now'

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

This is Shadowbringers Working as Intended tm! I remember streaming it alongside my partner for, like... three of our friends, and it was desperately difficult to not keep pursuing the plot. Thankfully, as already noted, they are good with giving you breathing-room as things progress, but... Yeah. Shadowbringers will devour you if you let it.

MeagenImage
Mar 24, 2024
I like to make the same archer half-elf in every fantasy game and pretend they're all the same person just getting shunted from world to world wherever there is Adventure to be had and people need a Hero. Sadly, this is very hard to fit into casual RP, because nobody likes a Have All Of My Backstory. Also, I never picked up Dark Knight because it is literally key to her concept that if she ever becomes tired of going into mortal danger for the sake of random people she just met, she will be tired of life.

Meagen Sureshot of the "oh, probably one of them!" tribe. Occasionally will mention "demons" or "the Spine of the World" or "TPS reports" and seem equally confused as whoever she's talking to.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Have you worked in the isekai office worker lady origin story yet? You mentioned TPS reports and that first pose on the left does have the energy of a friendly over-achiever whisked away to being in over her head.

Being sent to the first fantasy realm by Truck-kun and being terrified of Garlaen war vehicles is a plus.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That prompts a question: does Shadowbringers count as an isekai?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yes.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Help! I Was About to Win the War But Some Crystal rear end in a top hat Whisked Me Away to Fight Angel Monsters

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Like Narnia!

MeagenImage
Mar 24, 2024

Doomykins posted:

Have you worked in the isekai office worker lady origin story yet? You mentioned TPS reports and that first pose on the left does have the energy of a friendly over-achiever whisked away to being in over her head.

Being sent to the first fantasy realm by Truck-kun and being terrified of Garlaen war vehicles is a plus.

Her origin story is actually in the Forgotten Realms, she picked up "TPS reports" during her stay in Paragon City.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MeagenImage posted:

Her origin story is actually in the Forgotten Realms, she picked up "TPS reports" during her stay in Paragon City.

Ah, a fellow COH'er. I have a Level 1 Lancer Catboy named U'Kon Gr'ai, just because of how the naming works for them. :P

MeagenImage
Mar 24, 2024

Kheldarn posted:

Ah, a fellow COH'er. I have a Level 1 Lancer Catboy named U'Kon Gr'ai, just because of how the naming works for them. :P

Good one! But also, boo.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

MeagenImage posted:

Meagen Sureshot of the "oh, probably one of them!" tribe. Occasionally will mention "demons" or "the Spine of the World" or "TPS reports" and seem equally confused as whoever she's talking to.

I see you have chosen the Objectively Correct Bard glamour! :thumbsup:

MeagenImage posted:

I mean, I suspect you already know, but Paragon City is back! Just on the off chance that you - or others - hadn't heard and might want to dimension-hop a bit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Feldegast42 posted:

Help! I Was About to Win the War But Some Crystal rear end in a top hat Whisked Me Away to Fight Angel Monsters

Summoned to a World of Eternal Light and I'm the Jet Black Villain of Darkness?!

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

MeagenImage posted:

I like to make the same archer half-elf in every fantasy game and pretend they're all the same person just getting shunted from world to world wherever there is Adventure to be had and people need a Hero. Sadly, this is very hard to fit into casual RP, because nobody likes a Have All Of My Backstory. Also, I never picked up Dark Knight because it is literally key to her concept that if she ever becomes tired of going into mortal danger for the sake of random people she just met, she will be tired of life.

Is that the HW Hallowed Ramie set? I have that look on my Scholar but I had to leave it as the base kinda cream-and-green color scheme, cuz the stripes don't change.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I actually ended up really liking the top you get from the first SHB dungeon as part of my Bard Glam. The only actual problem with it is that it isn’t dyable, but I ended up liking the color scheme alright anyway even though it’s not super exciting.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

When making my character, Sasara Sara, I made a number of choices for 'meta' reasons that went on to inform my character from a narrative perspective. I started playing because I said back then "if they made this game (WoW), but with chocobos, I'd probably play that forever", and I don't think that's an unfair description of the early versions of ARR, however much the games have diverged since then. Having played some of the beta versions of the game (including the 1.0 beta, the first beta to convince me to not buy a game) meant that despite starting on day one of ARR, I knew some things about the world and what my choices would result in. I began as a thaumaturge, which meant starting in Ul'dah. I chose lalafell mostly because I played a tarutaru in FFXI and was nostalgic for that after years of being a tauren in WoW. I picked dunesfolk basically because I knew I'd be starting in Ul'dah and that made narrative sense, and it was serendipitous that later dunesfolk turned out to be an excellent choice for a black mage in ARR raiding due to a quirk with MP and piety. I told the cart merchant that I came seeking a fortune, which makes sense given where she was heading, but was mostly because I wanted the ring that suited crafters because at the time there were no very low-level DoH rings available. I haven't given a ton of thought on my character's backstory and personality (partially because I don't think the game will really play into the idea of being a flirtatious rogue of a woman). Given all that, I imagine her as an Ul'dahn native that lived outside the city and came seeking her big break.

Despite not really putting much thought into her backstory or how exactly she fits into the world, I do feel a personal connection with the character that means I'll never fantasia for any substantial alterations such as a race change (though I tend to change hairstyle a few times each expansion), and I feel a real sense of camaraderie with many of the game's characters. Reflecting on it, that's basically how I always create characters nowadays in tabletop games as well, I mostly make choices for mechanical reasons, but when it comes to flavor or less important aspects, I try to adjust to make the character feel like they fit into the world. XIV was the first time that I think I chose to have a "lore appropriate" name in an RPG rather than a joke or reference, and it's reflected how I play characters in other games since.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My character's named [name of character from FF11] [Name of my main in WoW] so that old friends who I joined in FF14 would know which one I was, so I never worried at all about how the name fit as I fantasia'd my way across the people of Eorzea.

MeagenImage
Mar 24, 2024

dyslexicfaser posted:

Is that the HW Hallowed Ramie set? I have that look on my Scholar but I had to leave it as the base kinda cream-and-green color scheme, cuz the stripes don't change.

I had to do some wiki diving but I remembered it was one of the level 50 ARR dungeon drops. It's the Shikaree's Doublet. Not dyable, but I like the blue and silver.

It was my default look for RPing, but I also had a rotating "yes I am on the current dungeon progression" glam.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't really fleshed out my WoL, Moira Kaldir, all that much, but the short of it is that she already had an axe to grind with the Empire before the start of ARR. She's a guerilla fighter from a region that'll be coming up in this expansion's patch content, possibly a Hyur or Au Ra to begin with, but who has used Fantasias so often to evade pursuit that she doesn't truly remember her original appearance or race. She's since settled into her current look after growing attached to the Scions, though the temptation to put on a new face is never far away, especially when she tires of the constant recognition and adulation.

Pictured here engaging in a bit of celebrity sightseeing during last year's Rising :allears:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My main's name is boring, but I got an alt called Subpaying Subligar. Haven't really played much, no reason for alts in this really, but he's there.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

From our end yes, from the First's perspective it's a story about Crystal Jim developing a gacha addiction.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Quantum Toast posted:

From our end yes, from the First's perspective it's a story about Crystal Jim developing a gacha addiction.

The Exarch getting increasingly upset by pulling dupes of Goldsmith WoL until finally getting SSR Dark Knight WoL.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

You know, in terms of the story structure, a romance between Alisaie and Kheris does make sense. They've always shared a similar moral code and way of thinking. They've shared a mentor as Red Mages, even if they didn't train together. At the end of the last expansion, they went through severe trauma together, had each other's backs, and kept each other from falling apart when it seemed like all else was lost. When Alis got Called, Kheris became a little obsessed with that promise not to leave her alone. Now, it turns out the time-skip turned the girl into a confident badass who spent their time apart emulating the Warrior of Light. She's grown, she has a spicy new look, and she's been babbling to everyone for a year about her Extremely Admirable Friend in a way that could easily hint at feelings she's been too embarrassed to express. It's all right out of the Action/Adventure Anime Shipping Playbook.

Unfortunately for my narrative instincts, I've always imagined Kheris was about 25 when the game started. The game's text isn't explicit about the twin's age, but from how the story presents them, it's clear they were WAY younger than that at the start. Unless her time skip was much larger, closer to the five years Thancred got at least, I'd feel uncomfortable with my character accepting any romantic interest from her.

As a filthy WoLisaie shipper, I was really fortunate in that I hadn't really nailed down a firm age for my WoL Keimgeim when I was establishing my personal fiction. All I'd really decided on was "vaguely early-mid 20s", and it was very easy to just sort of revise that estimate downward when I discovered how much I adored Alisaie and how cute her dynamic with the WoL was. It even ended up working out better for my fiction that way, because having Keimgeim be a widdle baby teenager when the Calamity hit gave me a hell of a foundation to build the finer details of her backstory on.

It probably also helped that my shipping alarms started going off all the way back in Coils. I might've felt differently if I hadn't seen Alisaie's feelings as Potential Romance until this late in the game.

(Especially considering the extreme height difference between them. Keimgeim is a max height Roegadyn! Alisaie barely comes up to her waist!)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

For those getting antsy after so long without an update, don't worry, I'm very close to finished Alphinaud's side of the introduction. There ended up being a lot more for me to talk about than I expected, so much so that I'll probably have to split it into a double update!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Just good to hear that you're OK!