Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Fun fact.

This is the patch that changed the dialogue moments from this:

to this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Here we go - Looking forward to your journey through ShB!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh yeah, this is gonna be good. :pervert:

I enjoy your thorough analysis of scenes Sang and I've got to catch up on highlights in the StB thread. The first one I checked and I'm happy we had the same reaction to Gosetsu in the Tsukiyomi trial. :3:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 23, 2024

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Awwwww yeah, this will be amazing.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Can't wait for this one, Shadowbringers has so many amazing moments.

Not every DRK needs to be edgy:

I like GNB but any Mechanics that make me break the rotation and lose my timing makes me feel bad. They do get great coats though. I also really like DNC when I need to DPS but I just hate getting two Dancers in a pug.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That is the meanest thing I've ever heard anyone say about Thancred.

Say what you will about Seifer, but his drip is magnificent and I am glad they used it for the basis of Thancred's new look.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Here we go.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The FF14 vampires will feast well this Let's Play. I'm already loving the giant cork board from the trailer alone.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Interested in what classes Sang will use, the game certainly offers the giant sword of DRK for this one.

Spuzzz posted:

I also really like DNC when I need to DPS but I just hate getting two Dancers in a pug.

Entering a trial/alliance and putting dance partner on the same BLM feels like I just locked eyes with a rival starlet.

And seconding non-edgy DRK gang.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Entering a trial/alliance and putting dance partner on the same BLM feels like I just locked eyes with a rival starlet.

Literally this reaction every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAx6mYeC6pY

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Keep the lyrics of the track in the back of your mind as you play through this thing is the only thing I'm going to say here.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I lurked the last thread but if I have the opportunity to post one of my favorite glams I've ever done: Samurai Dark Knight.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hooting and hollering at all your reactions. I'm sure everyone's aware of the anticipation of this. Not disappointing yet.

EDIT: The two flavors of DRK

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 23, 2024

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

DRK glamposting???

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

quote:

Threescore wasted, ten cast aside
Four-fold knowing, no end in sight

threescore (levels) wasted; the 1-60 spent going through heavensward working under false assumptions about what you are (warrior of light or warrior of darkness?), how the world works, what ascian plans are etc, and ten (60-70) cast aside as you leave stormblood behind for this. despite four-fold knowing--tank/healer/physical/magical, (mechanics) the categories that job quests follow now--there is no end in sight. you haven't really solved anything yet.

this isn't the first time songs have given a poke at what's going on for the player. think back to alexander:

quote:

Twenty-two sectors tested
Fragments in one direction
Celestial noise detected
Delirium unsuspected

as of 3.0 there were 22 jobs available, counting crafters and gatherers. the three newest additions shoot fragments (bullets) in a direction, detect celestial noise, and fall unsuspected to delirium

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 23, 2024

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Samurai DRK best DRK.

Rosalind posted:

I lurked the last thread but if I have the opportunity to post one of my favorite glams I've ever done: Samurai Dark Knight.

Which set is that? Looks similar to the Dai-Ryumaku from Rhalgh's Reach tomestones that I have, but not quite.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kerrzhe posted:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

RIDING HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Doomykins posted:

And seconding non-edgy DRK gang.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

DRK glamposting???

Hell yeah. That's the best DRK weapon. I used the HW relic for so long but recently went to a "non-edgy DRK" look.

I'm fuckin ready!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

threescore (levels) wasted; the 1-60 spent going through heavensward working under false assumptions about what you are (warrior of light or warrior of darkness?), how the world works, what ascian plans are etc, and ten (60-70) cast aside as you leave stormblood behind for this. despite four-fold knowing--tank/healer/physical/magical, (mechanics) the categories that job quests follow now--there is no end in sight. you haven't really solved anything yet.

this isn't the first time songs have given a poke at what's going on for the player. think back to alexander:

as of 3.0 there were 22 jobs available, counting crafters and gatherers. the three newest additions shoot fragments (bullets) in a direction, detect celestial noise, and fall unsuspected to delirium

I am rapidly oscillating between “No shot”, “I hate this”, and “I love this”

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

I am rapidly oscillating between “No shot”, “I hate this”, and “I love this”

the locus part was thrown around during HW itself, but not nearly as many people believe the shadowbringers part i think

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I think the kilt made my DRK glam.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

FrenchBen posted:

Samurai DRK best DRK.

Which set is that? Looks similar to the Dai-Ryumaku from Rhalgh's Reach tomestones that I have, but not quite.

Thavnarian headdress for hed
Genji Fending for body and legs
Dai-Ryumaku gloves
Odenta Kai is the sword

All the armor dyed ruby red.

I forget what I did for the boots. Maybe Dai-Ryumaku.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
My DRK glam was boring. It was just Valerian Terror Knight dyed soot black. Don't have any screenshots handy, though.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I have used this one for ages now. I have an edgier one but always come back.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i always interpreted the "authors of our fate, orchestrate our fall from grace" being the antagonistic force and "poorest players on the stage, our defiance drive us straight to the edge" as us

also dawntrail early access was just confirmed for june 28th, so you'll have to finish this and endwalker before then! have fun

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

There's obviously a lot more about the song that will hit you if you keep it in mind as you go through MSQ that we're all excitedly holding back, but I also still think it holds nothing to Answers recontextualizing itself every single expansion.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Yo, I am so hyped for this!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Time for the ground floor, I am here for this

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Throw wide the gates. Let eon become instant.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sanguinia posted:

Relatedly, I don't have much specific knowledge of the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole.

Just based off what we're seeing in the trailer alone (places that look like places, but very different), how well do you know...

[lowers head, raises eyebrows, dramatic horns]

...Chrono Trigger?

EDIT: I should just provide context, despite it being one of the most highly ranked games of all time, due to politics inside Square-Enix and possible IP agreements, direct usage of Chrono Trigger is one of those uncrackable safes that requires so much corporate mountain-moving that even Yoshi-P, a goddamn seat on the corporate board, would need a miracle to pull it off. The most likely theory is that it's copyrights required the approval of Akira Toriyama (RIP) which is why SE is usually happy to throw people a remade Chrono Cross which had a different artist instead. But there is definitely an argument for some "hey this reminds me of [thing] if something went horribly wrong 200 years away" energy that is very common in that game.

But I also was legitimately wondering how closely you're familiar with it, just so that people will know whether you can draw connections yourself or not.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 23, 2024

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So that we can better schedule our paroxysms of hype, can someone compile how long it took Sang to go through each of the various zones in 3.0 and 4.0?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Kheris is around the first Trial at the moment.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Possibly the hypest video game trailer of all time. Tying all the previous trailers together in the way they did was incredible to watch. And yeah, with everybody losing their poo poo over Urianger and Y'shtola and Thancred, the sudden Minfilia was such a surprise that it was hard to think of how to react in the moment. Other than to go WHAT. It's also great that they brought in Jason Miller for the song, both with his history as ARR's Raubahn and as that guy who once said RULES OF NATURE.

It may have been brought up already, but overall design of the city at the base of Crystal Tower is actually drawn from the pre-1.0 concept art for FFXIV. A super deep cut there.

I love the way Eternal Wind is used here, as well. As mystery guy goes into his spiel about rewriting history, the song takes on a bit of a harder edge before leading in to WE FALL as we go back Meteor getting his backside handed to him.

Splitting the stark and expressive sky open to reveal the starry night behind it is an incredible visual, and really sets the stage for the whole expansion.

And now it's time to do some riding home!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Craptacular! posted:

Just based off what we're seeing in the trailer alone (places that look like places, but very different), how well do you know...

[lowers head, raises eyebrows, dramatic horns]

...Chrono Trigger?

EDIT: I should just provide context, despite it being one of the most highly ranked games of all time, due to politics inside Square-Enix and possible IP agreements, direct usage of Chrono Trigger is one of those uncrackable safes that requires so much corporate mountain-moving that even Yoshi-P, a goddamn seat on the corporate board, would need a miracle to pull it off. The most likely theory is that it's copyrights required the approval of Akira Toriyama (RIP) which is why SE is usually happy to throw people a remade Chrono Cross which had a different artist instead. But there is definitely an argument for some "hey this reminds me of [thing] if something went horribly wrong 200 years away" energy that is very common in that game.

But I also was legitimately wondering how closely you're familiar with it, just so that people will know whether you can draw connections yourself or not.

I got a copy of Chrono Trigger for the Nintendo DS when it came out but that was my senior year of college and also Wrath of the Lich King had just come out so I didn't have time for much else. I do know the jist of the game's plot, though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thundarr posted:

It may have been brought up already, but overall design of the city at the base of Crystal Tower is actually drawn from the pre-1.0 concept art for FFXIV. A super deep cut there.

2005's demo was codenamed Rapture because they weren't ready to throw the FF name on it yet. It was, as I recall, the first shown work of people at SE working on PS3, as it beat the still very in-progress FF13 trailer by a year. (And FF14 was then announced as an MMO immediately after that trailer.)

Perhaps someday we'll get Agni's Philosophy designs in an expansion, as various people still insist that Forspoken was not a direct relaunch of that and it was supposed to be a Final Fantasy concept.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 23, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
You know, it occurs to me that the next expansion is going to come out during this, which means we'll be seeing the graphical update in the middle of the LP. That's going to be a little jarring.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Kerrzhe posted:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Rhonne posted:

You know, it occurs to me that the next expansion is going to come out during this, which means we'll be seeing the graphical update in the middle of the LP. That's going to be a little jarring.

I think I should at least be able to play through the base game by the time Dawntrail drops now that we know when that is, though as usual I'm going to try to not get TOO far ahead of the writing. We'll see what happens.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

This is it, this is the expansion that made it all worth it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Rhonne posted:

Kheris discovers that she's has astigmatism the whole time