Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Shadowbringers was the first expansion launch I experienced in FFXIV. Ironically, in contrast to all the hype the expansion now enjoys, I recall community excitement in the lead-up to the expansion being fairly lukewarm.

Playing during late Stormblood, the base assumption everyone had was the next expansion would be focused on Ilsabard, and taking down the Garlean Empire. As details of the next expansion slowly rolled out, it was met with a large amount of confusion. Shadowbringers? Become the Warrior of Darkness? Fighting the Light? The conclusion some drew was that the expansion would be about us needing to go around kicking puppies in order to address some sort of cosmic need for centrism between good and evil, others would say that's probably not what its going to be about, and discussions and speculations would go around in circles as we awaited more news and 4.x patches.

I look forward to following your journey though... whatever the heck this is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
My DRK Glams from the end of Stormblood:

And from the start of Shadowbringers (probably not actually spoilers but out of abundance of caution):

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Sanguinia posted:

Along the way, we make a second stop in the marketplace to… well, frankly, to do some ludonarrative rationalization of game mechanics.

The Exarch explains that modern economics fell apart when civilization started collapsing after the Flood. The Crystarium helped restore some stability to the surviving settlements, and after a few decades, people wanted to move beyond simple barter and subsistence. They began minting coins from precious metals, and Crystarium's influence on the evolving trade network led the continent to model all new currency on the city's coins. Crystarium coins, in a cute twist, were based on designs discovered inside the Crystal Tower. The Allagan name for these coins, Gil, was soon universally adopted, and they are weighted almost identically to those used by the Alliance nations. I think my head cannon will be that this is a time paradox because Kheris dropped some loose change while fighting Xande.

It's a gameplay convenience for sure, but I think they've actually rooted it pretty deeply in the lore! Encyclopedia Eorzea Vol 1 says Eorzea standardized currency based on the Allagan Gil following the Autumn war between Gridania and Ala Mhigo roughly 100 years ago. Prior to that there was a mishmash of local currencies, re-using pre-calamity Amdapor/Mhach currency, and barter. So if you think about it post flood (of water) Eorzea and The First post flood (of light) kind of ended up in similar post-apocalyptic circumstances and arriving at a similar solution for currency.

It also kind of just goes to show how big of a deal the Allagan empire really was that something like 5000 years later Eorzea is still minting a modern version of their currency, or something close to it. There's apparently enough of a difference to justify the various Allagan gold piece items and such, but those item's only real purpose is to give you modern Gil so I think its fair to say their value is widely accepted and recognized and you can chose them as most quest rewards so I take that to mean they're still in common circulation.

Anyway, I imagine there were probably still pretty large troves of Allagan Gil in the Crystal Tower remaining after the WoL adventurer'd through it.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
When I played through Shadowbringers MSQ I ended up deciding I wouldn't return to the Source until I'd finished the 5.0 MSQ. It just kind of felt right to not be casually traveling back and forth a lot, and it made the feeling of traveling to and living in a strange new world more emotionally resonant as I played through the MSQ. But the coolest part was after a week or two when I finished up the MSQ and finally decided to head back to Eorzea and my little house in the Mists, I got that strange feeling you get when you return home after a long time away and everything that used to be so familiar is now a little bit of a stranger to you.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I picked Alphinaud first because in the moment I thought that boy is going to get in trouble, and it had been several months since 4.5 and I'd kind of spaced on the rather traumatic parting we had with Alisaie there. I've since sort of mentally reconnected this though and imagine my character's "canonical" choice was seeking out Alisaie first.

Alphie has done a lot of growing in his time since the crystal braves, and I feel at this point my character would have faith in him to handle his self appointed diplomatic mission like he did with the Empire. To not trust him on this feels like a sort of betrayal, like my character doesn't actually believe he's learned any hard lessons from our journey so far.

On the other hand I feel Alisaie is far more likely to push herself beyond her limits, and despite her brash personality she was really hurt from having her friends and family snatched away from her in 4.x. I feel like my WoL would have a sort of promise to do whatever it took to find her ASAP given how you part in 4.5.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
First playing through this section I lost the card game vs Tista-Bie so many times in a row I legitimately thought it was a plot point she was cheating me at the game. Like I picked the statistically correct answer and just kept losing the game over and over again so many times I thought the devs were pulling a prank on me, but it just turned out to be ordinary obscenely bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Sanguinia posted:

This, of course, is precisely what Alphinaud was hoping to avoid. He doesn't want an entire nation of innocent people being used as shields to protect us, and Kheris couldn't agree more. It's a pretty cold-blooded strategy on Jim's part… or rather, it would be if he wasn't planning on telling everyone his idea and putting it to a vote. Maybe this idiot actually learned something from all the problems he created by trying to manipulate or strongarm people into doing what he wants instead of just asking them!

So, remember when I was talking about the Crystarium's characterization as the City of Hope and how I reserved the right to complain about it later? This is when it came back to bother me. The game treats the Exarch's speech as a moment of great narrative significance. Before the crowd came in, he even gave the Scions a pre-speech pep talk about how restoring the night sky also restored hope, and he would prove that by showing us his people have the will to fight. But that was never in doubt! Every person I've ever spoken to in this city made a point of expressing how hopeful they are and how they're fighting to make the world a better place every day. The belief that Norvrandt has a future despite all appearances is practically a prerequisite to joining Crystarium's society!

When the crowd gives their answers-

-one can't help but wonder why anyone bothered to ask the question. Based on everything we've seen, they would have given the same answer even if I hadn't slain the Warden. That's the identity the narrative established for them!

In retrospect, the moment makes that initial effort to cast the Crystarium as the beacon of a dying world feel like a mistake. As we've established, all the first-pass dialogue only exists for one campaign level before being overwritten in the wake of Holminster Switch. It's a long level, but you only spend a bit of it in the actual city. It would have been simple to convey the idea that the Exarch WANTS Crystarium to be a bastion of hope while also making it clear that many only pay lip service to that ideal. The environmental storytelling in the city already does a solid job of conveying that things are worse than the shiny exterior implies. Why not follow through on that? It's not like the writers didn't know that the player was about to bring about seismic change. The whole scenario undermines the gravitas of their decision to resist.

It's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, I suppose, and if the writing team was just that worried about making the atmosphere too bleak at the starting point, I understand why they didn't go that route. Still, it bugs me a little that paying close attention to the details is scuffing up the narrative's paint job. Traditionally, this game has greatly rewarded me for being an attentive reader. This time around, it's causing issues instead.

Anyway, the vote for war is unanimous.

I think his vote for war here is very much rooted in Japanese culture.

From what I've been told, Japanese organizational leadership culture is often characterized by placing a high emphasis on consensus building, or at least the appearance of consensus building.

The form this often takes in Japanese business is a leader's various subordinates will bring the leader a plan, which the leader then approves, rather than the leader giving out orders because he's the guy in charge.

Prior to the course of action being formally decided on, there is typically a time of informal consensus building where the leader discusses ideas with stakeholders and the plan is hashed out.

Or at least that's what I learned in business classes and listening to the Gundam podcast. :shrug: