Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like pretty much all the Terminator movies and the show, but Salvation is way more boring than a Terminator movie with Michael Ironside in it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A story I've told before in the other threads but IMO it should be here:

A few years back I went to see Terminator 2: Judgment Day in theatre, on 'Judgment Day' (August 29th I think, if the T2 canon holds). The theatre we went to was the Royal Cinema, a local repertory that's also used as a sound mixdown studio for films. Big console in the sweet spot, nice soundsystem and acoustic treatment, the whole shebang.

My friend and I quickly realized this was just some film students renting out the theatre to show a Blu-Ray copy of the movie. They did a little skit before the show and then the lights dimmed and someone was clicking through the Blu-Ray menu on screen. A little embarrassing, but OK whatever, I'm seeing T2 in theatres.

And then the movie started, without sound.

It made it all the way up to basically the end of the future scene-setting, before they stopped it. People in the audience were making "pew pew" laser gun and explosion sounds with their mouths. It stopped and someone came out and apologized, then spent a couple of minutes 'fixing it'. The movie started again, this time mit sound! Joy!

Except the center channel was missing. You know, the center channel, where dialog and voice-over lives. So this battle raged over the future hellscape, without any Sarah Connor VO establishing what was going on. People were laughing and grumbling, a few people ran to the back to tell the staff. I was getting a bit pissed, but when the shot showing old grizzled John Connor (in his fatigues bearing a 'CONNOR' nametape) appeared, someone in the audience shouted "WHO'S THAT?!?!" and that was funny enough that I stayed.

They got the center channel back and we watched the whole thing and got free tickets at the end for the gently caress-up. Seriously, who forgets to plug in the center channel in a theatre like that? Anyway, it's a pretty fun memory.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Good points.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Salvation must be one of the movies with the most wasted potential. Everybody always talked about how cool the war segments in the original movies were, thanks to their unique atmosphere and cyberpunk aesthetic... So they shot a movie that takes place in the future war, and made it look like a generic modern military film with generic soldier characters firing generic AR15s in a generic brown wasteland???

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 23, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toxic Mental posted:

Can Terminators gently caress, like do they have dicks

the only screen canon reference is Dark Fate, where the T-800 drapery salesman "carl" who confirms terminator dicks are cosmetic and his wife Alicia is not interested in sex and loves him for his other qualities

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

steinrokkan posted:

Salvation must be one of the movies with the most rated potential. Everybody always talked about how cool the war segments in the original movies were, thanks to their unique atmosphere and cyberpunk aesthetic... So they shot a movie that takes place in the future war, and made it look like a generic modern military film with generic soldier characters firing generic AR15s in a generic brown wasteland???

Terminators 3 through 5 ALL make the mistake of forgetting/ignoring that The Terminator was as much a horror movie as it was anything else.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
Neither skynet nor the machines from the Matrix did anything wrong.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
My dog barks at the wind blowing the leaves too hard, and goes loving ballistic when the amazon driver drops off a package. I'm surprised the resistances best determination of a Terminator is a barking dog. I bet there were a lot of false positives. Wouldn't another method have been better like a magnet? It was already shown in T3 and Terminator Genisys that a strong magnet could hold a Terminator so they must have a magnetic signature. Seems like a metal detector would have done a better job than an anxious dog.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Put a scale on the entrance to the bunker/warren. Guys who are 5'10" and a quarter ton? Suspect.

Have them disrobe and do a spin. Guys who look like they are getting all their macros and 5 hours of weight and cardio training every day? Maybe not eating rats and decades expired corned beef on the run from hunter killers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Salvation must be one of the movies with the most wasted potential. Everybody always talked about how cool the war segments in the original movies were, thanks to their unique atmosphere and cyberpunk aesthetic... So they shot a movie that takes place in the future war, and made it look like a generic modern military film with generic soldier characters firing generic AR15s in a generic brown wasteland???

Agreed.

Terminator (and ALien) franchises are both saddled with the challenge of sticking with something that works and delivers the fundamental concept to fans while also needing to do something new. I'm happy that the new Alien trailer seems to be getting back to what I like about the first two movies.

I still think that the only real way to freshen up the Terminator franchise is the simple approach to just making it a period piece and setting poo poo in the old west, WW2, the civil war or some poo poo and play off the "not with these weapons" aspect of T1. It worked out really well for Prey. Dicking around with conflicting timelines and tangled continuity is not only not very interesting, but really hard to pull off without creating more questions than it answers. BttF pulled it off but it's tough.

You don't have to reinvent the wheel to make a franchise, as the MCU, Rocky, F&F, Rambo and even low rent poo poo like Police Academy have shown us. loving Kung Fu Panda 4 is the #1 movie in the US right now while the last Terminator sunk like a stone.

The creators overthink what makes these movies really work, I believe.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The T2 Bio-flesh regenerator playset commercial.

Have hours of fun making robots into naked Arnold Schwarzeneggers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Terminators 3 through 5 ALL make the mistake of forgetting/ignoring that The Terminator was as much a horror movie as it was anything else.

Absolutely loving unstoppable killing machines. Nothing* you can do, nowhere you can hide, it will cross both time and space to find you and end you. No time or place is safe once Skynet decides you’re on the target list.

*environmental kills are the only real way in the 80’s and and 90’s.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Skynet c-suite at the terminator design review be like

Strength: peak human performance, olympic level athlete
Face: maximum masculine features
Accent for maximum infiltration efficiently: austrian
Penis: average

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

OSHA was started by Skynet to eliminate as many hazards as possible

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Penis size is determined by your charisma stat

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Absolutely loving unstoppable killing machines. Nothing* you can do, nowhere you can hide, it will cross both time and space to find you and end you. No time or place is safe once Skynet decides you’re on the target list.

*environmental kills are the only real way in the 80’s and and 90’s.

One of the most Terminator-rear end deaths to happen was actually in TSCC. Spoilers for a decade and a half old TV series.

There's a scene where the heroes are making a fighting retreat from a T-800 and Derek Reese, a hero we've been with for a season and a half, is just caught lacking for a split second at the wrong time, takes one to the dome and with the 'bot not even breaking stride as it pursues the other characters. That's a killer robot, not something that wants to toss you around for a bit like it's some kayfabe for the hayseeds in the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0iNpSpW21Y

Hell here's some heresy even the OG Terminator comes off a bit goofy from the ideal of "no frills, no emotions death robot" fighting Ginger's boyfriend so sloppily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reZW4yrjJFM

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TRUE STORY: I had a battle-damaged T2 Arnold figure in the early nineties. You pressed a button and it said "HASTA LA VISTA, BABY," while its eyes glowed red. When the battery started dying, it started repeated "HASTA LA VISTA BABY" with its red eyes over and over and over. My little brother, who shared my room, was so horrified that night that we threw the toy out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Patrick in T2 was probably the best at portraying the ruthless efficiency of a robot assassin. Whenever he is within the eyesight of John, he never takes his gaze off him and never stops blasting in his direction, through whatever obstacle there may be, even if there's only a slim chance of hitting him.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Patrick in T2 was probably the best at portraying the ruthless efficiency of a robot assassin. Whenever he is within the eyesight of John, he never takes his gaze off him and never stops blasting in his direction, through whatever obstacle there may be, even if there's only a slim chance of hitting him.

Hard agree. He's just absolute menace in every frame. I can't find the interview but apparently he trained himself to be able to mag dump his baretta without flinching; something actors didn't always do in the 80's/90's and set him apart from Arnie's OG termie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgibX4BCYBw

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I can't support Kyle Reese, not after he stole that hobo's pants, "That son of a bitch took my pants." the hobo wailed. I can't stand that, was like watching a dog get kicked. I understand it's serious business and the whole world is at stake, but there are lines you just don't cross.

LOL

Ok first, he was a bum, not a hobo. Hobos ride on trains.

Second, lol. I've been thinking about those pants since the mid 80's.

I mean, Kyle just came from the post apocalypse future, so he's probably fine with the pants, right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The UTI he gave sarah probably drat near finished off what the killer robot couldnt.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Terminator 2 is the most overrated movie in existence, the acting is so bad but it gets a pass because a lot of money was thrown at it for the SFX. The concept is cool but it's painful to watch for most of its runtime

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I mean, the times its good its 10/10 but it winds up like a 6/10 overall due to just bad performances

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

That's the real essence of it and the thing they should focus on if they want to make sequels. The basic element of "and it absolutely will...not...stop...EVER, until you are DEAD". T1 is definitely a horror movie. A slasher film with a loving indestructible robot instead of a Jason or Michael Myers.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

TRUE STORY: I had a battle-damaged T2 Arnold figure in the early nineties. You pressed a button and it said "HASTA LA VISTA, BABY," while its eyes glowed red. When the battery started dying, it started repeated "HASTA LA VISTA BABY" with its red eyes over and over and over. My little brother, who shared my room, was so horrified that night that we threw the toy out.

This is loving hilarious

Revins posted:

Terminator 2 is the most overrated movie in existence, the acting is so bad but it gets a pass because a lot of money was thrown at it for the SFX. The concept is cool but it's painful to watch for most of its runtime

:getout:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Its mostly this scene/child actor that spoil it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njS1__eM5U0

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I saw T2 opening night at a theater in Lawrence MA, right off 495. On a double date, and I was with this woman that was my everything....

Every time I drive by that theater, I think of that night, of T2. One of my most cherished movie memories. And so as I was traveling 495 the last few years I was saddened to see that theater closed. I haven't driven by in a while, it may be gone by now. I have all these Terminator memories intertwined with that place in Lawrence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

redshirt posted:

I saw T2 opening night at a theater in Lawrence MA, right off 495. On a double date, and I was with this woman that was my everything....

Every time I drive by that theater, I think of that night, of T2. One of my most cherished movie memories. And so as I was traveling 495 the last few years I was saddened to see that theater closed. I haven't driven by in a while, it may be gone by now. I have all these Terminator memories intertwined with that place in Lawrence.

Don't leave us hanging. What happened to the woman? Did she go back in time?

Revins posted:

Its mostly this scene/child actor that spoil it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njS1__eM5U0

Movie has its flaws and is not perfect but nothing in it comes remotely close to ruining the entire thing for me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Don't leave us hanging. What happened to the woman? Did she go back in time?

She was Skynet

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’ve been trying to build skynet for a while now.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Terminator is better than Terminator 2. Alien is better than Aliens.

An accurate post. :cheers:

I like the love story of Terminator 1. Terminator 2 still owns though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Agreed about Terminator, disagree about Aliens.

The T1 v T2 debate. To be clear, I think we can ALL agree both movies are absolute classics and beloved. So what we're talking about is just nuances, points of subjectivity. Not hating.

So, that said, I think T1 is the far superior movie. One of the all time great horror movies. T2 is awesome, and is a great sci fi movie, but is far more a "Summer Bombastic Box Office!" movie and it certainly succeeds at that. But when I compare the two, that ranks it lower to me than the small, tense, terrifying T1. It's a low budget indie film V the same director being given a bazillion dollars. That director still kicks rear end and makes a classic, but it's an entirely different beast.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

redshirt posted:

She was Skynet

poo poo.

Been there, brother

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

redshirt posted:

The T1 v T2 debate. To be clear, I think we can ALL agree both movies are absolute classics and beloved. So what we're talking about is just nuances, points of subjectivity. Not hating.

So, that said, I think T1 is the far superior movie. One of the all time great horror movies. T2 is awesome, and is a great sci fi movie, but is far more a "Summer Bombastic Box Office!" movie and it certainly succeeds at that. But when I compare the two, that ranks it lower to me than the small, tense, terrifying T1. It's a low budget indie film V the same director being given a bazillion dollars. That director still kicks rear end and makes a classic, but it's an entirely different beast.

Yeah I wasn't hating exactly I just really hate the "have the child actor teach arnold 90's slang for some reason" scene and needed to vent that

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hard agree. He's just absolute menace in every frame. I can't find the interview but apparently he trained himself to be able to mag dump his baretta without flinching; something actors didn't always do in the 80's/90's and set him apart from Arnie's OG termie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgibX4BCYBw

I feel like there’s a lot that goes into playing an emotionless killing machine, and it goes underappreciated for both actors. The T-1000 being such a terrifying menace that a man literally jumped out of a helo to get away (and the implied brutal calculation that making him jump was easier than killing him in the seat, which could lead to a crash and inability to pursue the target as fast as possible) was a good touch.

redshirt posted:

Alien/Aliens followed a similar-ish track to T1/T2. First one was a horror movie with an unstoppable killer that will track you down and kill you, but one just wanted to make more babies in a horrifying way and the other saw you as an existential threat to be eliminated by any means possible. The sequels had some ABSOLUTE BADASSES on the side of Ripley/Sarah as they fought for Newt/John, and everything still goes to hell in the most spectacular possible ways.

The core of “nothing can save you/nothing can stop judgement day” was still there.

Now T3 vs Alien 3? T3 all the way, and it’s not even a debate :v:

grading on a curve here, to be sure

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Revins posted:

Yeah I wasn't hating exactly I just really hate the "have the child actor teach arnold 90's slang for some reason" scene and needed to vent that

The teenage boy was making friends with the killer robot from the future

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

500excf type r posted:

The teenage boy was making friends with the killer robot from the future

No problemo!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just LOL that Skynet's choice for an "Infiltrator" model is a 6'3 jacked guy during the apocalypse when people are living on rats.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

T3 was decent, the crane chase was rad and i had a sensible chuckle when the lady terminator made her boobs get bigger after getting pulled over

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

redshirt posted:

I just LOL that Skynet's choice for an "Infiltrator" model is a 6'3 jacked guy during the apocalypse when people are living on rats.

that's one of many reasons jai courtney was a ridiculous recast of kyle reese. beihn looked like a plausible scrappy resistance fighter, courtney looked like a dude who apparently had a post apocalyptic personal trainer and nutritionist 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

T3 was decent, the crane chase was rad and i had a sensible chuckle when the lady terminator made her boobs get bigger after getting pulled over

The cyberdyne presentation about making the terminators lol