Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The end of T3 redeems it. And yeah just as an action spectacle that crane chase scene is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

redshirt posted:

The end of T3 redeems it. And yeah just as an action spectacle that crane chase scene is crazy.

yeah i really liked the ending of T3 and they should have continued the franchise from there. instead it feels like they just kept trying to make a terminator 2 sequel

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

yeah i really liked the ending of T3 and they should have continued the franchise from there. instead it feels like they just kept trying to make a terminator 2 sequel

That's EXACTLY how I feel about every movie after T3: They keep trying to make a T2 sequel.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol they made a lovely movie with an ending that knocked it out of the park for future writers
Future writers: "REMEMBER WHEN SHE BLEW UP IN THE NUKE SCENE"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

MrQwerty posted:

The cyberdyne presentation about making the terminators lol

"Vee kun fixx et"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

That's EXACTLY how I feel about every movie after T3: They keep trying to make a T2 sequel.

The Terminator

T2: Judgement Day

T2 2: Judgementer Day

T2 3: John Conner Begins

T2 4: Timecop

T2 5: The Next Generation

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Revins posted:

Yeah I wasn't hating exactly I just really hate the "have the child actor teach arnold 90's slang for some reason" scene and needed to vent that

To be fair, that is a low point and Furlong overall is not great.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

To be fair, that is a low point and Furlong overall is not great.

T2 also has the whole "Arnie the Terminator is good now and learning how to love arc" which is a whole thing. Compare that to any arcs in the original movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's also canon that the Terminator smelled like poo poo.
There was an explanation for that in the first movie, the Terminator’s cloned skin was dying after the damage it took, and the landlord was smelling the rotting flesh. One of the novelizations (the one not written by Cameron’s friend, if I remember right) established that the cloned skin infiltrator design was never meant to be a long-term solution, it was supposed to get the Terminator close to the target and that was it.

Of course the later movies abandoned this, establishing that not only does the cloned skin regenerate, but it even ages in real time. The obvious reason for that was so they could have an aging Arnold come back as an older Terminator in future movies.

ElectricSheep posted:

Fantastic OP! Petition to add in the Terminator ride/show from Universal Studios where Arnie grabs Edward Furlong and they go forward in time to fight the T-1 Million and destroy Skynet or whatever, it's been a while since I saw it

Genuinely forgot it existed, I’ve actually never seen it. I’ve only been to Universal Studios once, and it was so long ago that the T2 3D ride was still under construction at the time.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I like pretty much all the Terminator movies and the show, but Salvation is way more boring than a Terminator movie with Michael Ironside in it should be.

I like Salvation, the “twist” is cool (and completely spoiled by the trailers, naturally). The Harvester attack and subsequent moto-terminator chase is great.

https://youtu.be/1xOPmhQnC3w?si=1NsCWcmOhwNTiiUr

https://youtu.be/HRuLB1phE1Q?si=G0uxmtrn2AqZvJNZ

The fight with the T-800 at the end of the movie is cool too.

https://youtu.be/iFvZwA_G2io?si=mb-HRn8vbTT2XKZP

BiggerBoat posted:

I still think that the only real way to freshen up the Terminator franchise is the simple approach to just making it a period piece and setting poo poo in the old west, WW2, the civil war or some poo poo and play off the "not with these weapons" aspect of T1. It worked out really well for Prey. Dicking around with conflicting timelines and tangled continuity is not only not very interesting, but really hard to pull off without creating more questions than it answers. BttF pulled it off but it's tough.

One of my Terminator dream projects would be a weekly anthology series of period pieces with T-800s sent back in time to different times and places as Skynet takes the shotgun approach to testing their time travel equipment. I’ve just got a bunch of vignettes in my head of “wouldn’t it be cool if…?” visuals that I’d love to see.

- T-800 in the old west getting hit by a steam locomotive with a stick of dynamite in the cow catcher, which explodes

- T-800 marching across No Man’s Land in WWI, getting shredded by machine gun fire

- T-800 in ancient Egypt, the characters defeat it by sealing it in a tomb. Fast-forward 4500 years to 1902 and archaeologists unseal the tomb to find the Terminator, its battery long dead, its cloned skin desiccated and mummified

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The T2 Bio-flesh regenerator playset commercial.

Have hours of fun making robots into naked Arnold Schwarzeneggers.

I never had that toy, but I did manage to grab the Terminator Salvation remake of it, which actually features one of the few clear depictions of what Marcus’ endoskeleton looked like.

https://youtu.be/A1qsQgbJ48A?si=HcwZphWjVCLXS6A6

redshirt posted:

The sheer amount of non-CGI property damage in that scene is bananas.

For those that need a refresher:

https://youtu.be/mBS0wio_JnE?si=heywJOdBFUx1vak5

Well, I mean, they did try - Terminator Salvation is a direct sequel to T3.
If you want more Future War stuff, though, I very heartily recommend reading the “Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle” comics by J Michael Strazynski. It successfully chains off of the ending of Terminator Salvation, loops in the future war plot points from T1-T3 (including John Connor getting killed by the T-850 in 2032), features parallel storylines in the past and future that are written in such a way that they both affect each other without spoiling how either one is going to play out as they unfold, and provides a satisfying ending to the war at the end of it all. It’s very cool.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

what was robocop’s beef with the terminator? been wondering what that was about for a few decades now

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TrashMammal posted:

what was robocop’s beef with the terminator? been wondering what that was about for a few decades now

in the 90s dark horse publishing would get the comics liscencing rights to all sorts of sci fi ips and bash them together like action figures in crossovers to varying qualities from sorta readable to drek, op

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

TrashMammal posted:

There can be only one!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

- T-800 in ancient Egypt, the characters defeat it by sealing it in a tomb. Fast-forward 4500 years to 1902 and archaeologists unseal the tomb to find the Terminator, its battery long dead, its cloned skin desiccated and mummified

Would the battery die or would an 800 be smart enough to go into sleep mode like the one in SCC that accidentally went back to the 1930s and just waited? Though 4500 years is a long-rear end time for a battery to last...

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Owlbear Camus posted:

in the 90s dark horse publishing would get the comics liscencing rights to all sorts of sci fi ips and bash them together like action figures in crossovers to varying qualities from sorta readable to drek, op

well obviously, but what was the in-universe reason for their beefing?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The sheer amount of non-CGI property damage in that scene is bananas.

For those that need a refresher:

https://youtu.be/mBS0wio_JnE?si=heywJOdBFUx1vak5

I watched it again, still amazing. Did they build a downtown for this scene? I'd love to know more about the practicals of this scene, cause they must have been enormous.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TrashMammal posted:

In the comics, Skynet gains sentience thanks to Robocop’s brain, so a human goes back in time to assassinate him while Skynet sends some Terminators back in time to protect him.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Would the battery die or would an 800 be smart enough to go into sleep mode like the one in SCC that accidentally went back to the 1930s and just waited? Though 4500 years is a long-rear end time for a battery to last...

I believe T2 establishes that the battery has a hard limit of 120 years.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

In the comics, Skynet gains sentience thanks to Robocop’s brain, so a human goes back in time to assassinate him while Skynet sends some Terminators back in time to protect him.

Gosh, that's dumb as hell, but I get the comic book plot logic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I absolutely love the second act in Terminator in the police station. You get that classic horror movie 2nd act "oh we're safe now, thank god!" feeling for a bit - while Reese is ranting like a madman in the background that everyone here is hosed!

Then of course everyone there is hosed, the Terminator is here.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6_awUgbUJs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OMG this is amazing.

Also summarizes my feelings about T1/T2

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I really want some Terminator Westerns now gently caress

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

redshirt posted:

T2 also has the whole "Arnie the Terminator is good now and learning how to love arc" which is a whole thing. Compare that to any arcs in the original movie.

I agree that there's a lot of corny poo poo in T2 but none of it is really terrible enough to ruin the experience for me.

I genuinely dislike bad acting and forced dialogue (like you cited) in movies that are trying to be serious but this movie gets so much right that I can genuinely overlook its rather minor flaws. It's been said to death but Aliens is to Alien as Terminator 2 is to Terminator and that's hard to argue against. Flaws aside, I absolutely LOVE all four films and consider them among my all time classics.

I think that Terminator is the better overall film than T2 simply because it's tighter and more basic but, depending on my mood, sometimes I want to ramp that poo poo up and T2 is just always such a loving blast to watch. I mentioned I was on LSD the first time I saw it and I definitely recall being the only one laughing during certain scenes that were supposed to be taken dead serious but I still left the theater thinking it was incredible.

TrashMammal posted:

robo jealousy

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just wanted to say thanks for making this thread Xenomrph

Also wanted to say that Brad Fiedel’s score for T1 is one of my all-time favorites, and his T2 score is great also.

https://youtu.be/2Ci7wVW-Aik?si=nCE3dZ4HfkhtJtOB

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree that there's a lot of corny poo poo in T2 but none of it is really terrible enough to ruin the experience for me.

I genuinely dislike bad acting and forced dialogue (like you cited) in movies that are trying to be serious but this movie gets so much right that I can genuinely overlook its rather minor flaws. It's been said to death but Aliens is to Alien as Terminator 2 is to Terminator and that's hard to argue against. Flaws aside, I absolutely LOVE all four films and consider them among my all time classics.

I think that Terminator is the better overall film than T2 simply because it's tighter and more basic but, depending on my mood, sometimes I want to ramp that poo poo up and T2 is just always such a loving blast to watch. I mentioned I was on LSD the first time I saw it and I definitely recall being the only one laughing during certain scenes that were supposed to be taken dead serious but I still left the theater thinking it was incredible.

robo jealousy

I agree with many of your points but want to point out so hard that establishing these hate/love dynamics sucks so much when trying to compare two things you love. Like, I literally love T2 as a movie, it's one of my favorites of all time. BUT I think the original is even better. But when trying to discuss the differences why, can it not be helped to be a "hater"? I will watch any and all of them whenever, because they are all amazing.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
This thread reminded me of an old frontpage article: Blue Stripe - The Life and Times of a Cyberdyne Systems Model-66 "Assembler"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just what you see pal.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

redshirt posted:

OMG this is amazing.

All the stuff those guys did 15 years ago on the old internet was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlicWUDf5MM

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Can Terminators gently caress, like do they have dicks

did you not see Arnie's little wiener flopping around in the shadows? I did

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Sure they have them but do they have the related circulatory system to maintain and sustain an erection? Do their balls hold pee?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Comedy option: Sarah Connor somehow ends up hooking up with the T-800 instead of Reese and not only does it fail its mission to KILL SARAH CONNOR, it is how John is conceived. Hijinks ensue.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

All the stuff those guys did 15 years ago on the old internet was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlicWUDf5MM

That's funny too, but not as good as the other one IMO.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I expected Dark Fate to be total trash, but it was surprisingly good. Better than T3 for sure. I'm pretty sure that specific IP is dead, but it would be cool if they followed up on it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

I expected Dark Fate to be total trash, but it was surprisingly good. Better than T3 for sure. I'm pretty sure that specific IP is dead, but it would be cool if they followed up on it

T3 was trash, but the terminator made her boobs get bigger

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

T3 was trash, but the terminator made her boobs get bigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskjFwiDbkg

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lonely nerds knew what they were doing

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Terminator OST is the best thing about the movie.

And that T2 playset looks rad. I miss when toy companies use to just make poo poo up but still seems like it could be a plot to a Terminator movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FErhk4kSMkI

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bonzo posted:

Terminator OST is the best thing about the movie.

And that T2 playset looks rad. I miss when toy companies use to just make poo poo up but still seems like it could be a plot to a Terminator movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FErhk4kSMkI

the '90s were a loving wild time

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

the best terminator game was robocop vs terminator. I played the absolute poo poo outta that game as a kid. and the worst is the terminator 2 game for the snes. good LORD is it bad.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Aishlinn posted:

the best terminator game was robocop vs terminator. I played the absolute poo poo outta that game as a kid. and the worst is the terminator 2 game for the snes. good LORD is it bad.

we should listen to this person, they speak the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 23, 2024

Aishlinn posted:

i'm currently playing One Man Island