Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaz2k21 posted:

“Isolation” should have been a franchise using different IP’s similar to what is happening with those small online multiplayer games (Friday the 13th,chainsaw massacre,ghostbusters etc etc)

Agree. I'd throw Predator, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween in that mix. My understanding is that A:I didn't sell all that well despite being awesome and garnering a lot of critical acclaim so they just kind of said gently caress it. I think a NoES survival horror video game is a no brainier and I'm surprised its never been done. Or has it?

You can have different levels or maybe even an open world but also a "sleep meter" where, when you run out of stamina, wherever you are starts going into dream mode, much like SIlent Hill, and poo poo begins to get weird. You can find items like caffeine pills and poo poo to extend your "awake" sequences and do the Home Alone thing to the environments like in the original. Your "awake" meter would be invisible so there's be tension about whether to pop a No-Doz pill or chug some coffee vs. saving it for later. Replays would trigger "Freddy Time" in different areas so you'd get to experience new strange poo poo each play through with different set pieces and you'd need to go through the game several times to get the true ending.

Picturing something like Evil Within, Silent Hill and even Soul Reaver (for those that remember that game). Bonus points if they add the Bagpipe Freddy from The SImpsons.

Along similar lines, relating to a Terminator: Isolation, I like the idea of buying time and collecting poo poo to craft weapons, molotovs and traps in each area so, if you do a good job, by the time you get to the final factory level or whatever, you're able to set up the industrial magnet, a smelting pit, nitrogen tanks, crushing gears, etc.

Each playthrough, you'd learn a little bit more and apply your knowledge of the game towards increasing your efficiency trying to slow Arnold down.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
My headcanon for time travel in Terminator is that there are extremely limited windows where it can send something through time.

Each new timeline WANTS to send soldiers back to the 80s, but that window is occupied by the T1 arrival. So then they pick the next closest (early 90s) for T2 future. When T3 future rolls around they figure out that both the 80s and 90s windows they calculated are somehow inaccessible, so they have to pick an early 00s one.

Eventually, the windows get so close to the Future War era and worthless for effecting a major change* that Skynet has to resort to going back to uncertain pre-80s slots that have a greater shot of also causing greater damage to the timeline.

The T1 T-800 that shows up in Genisys would have been a complete waste for Skynet. All the data it had on finding and killing Sarah Connor was worthless the moment it popped out of the time bubble since Pops and Sarah had been on the run and off the grid for years. Had Pops not shown up, it probably would have wandered America for years just killing every Sarah Connor it found.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

JediTalentAgent posted:

My headcanon for time travel in Terminator is that there are extremely limited windows where it can send something through time.

Each new timeline WANTS to send soldiers back to the 80s, but that window is occupied by the T1 arrival. So then they pick the next closest (early 90s) for T2 future. When T3 future rolls around they figure out that both the 80s and 90s windows they calculated are somehow inaccessible, so they have to pick an early 00s one.

Eventually, the windows get so close to the Future War era and worthless for effecting a major change* that Skynet has to resort to going back to uncertain pre-80s slots that have a greater shot of also causing greater damage to the timeline.

The T1 T-800 that shows up in Genisys would have been a complete waste for Skynet. All the data it had on finding and killing Sarah Connor was worthless the moment it popped out of the time bubble since Pops and Sarah had been on the run and off the grid for years. Had Pops not shown up, it probably would have wandered America for years just killing every Sarah Connor it found.

I'd add to that what Tallshanks said in the other direction:

Skynet's primary objective isn't "kill John Connor" or "destroy humanity." It's "ensure the survival of Skynet" which it has calculated is best achieved by accomplishing those other objectives.

So sending someone back too far and you're flapping butterfly wings. Sure in theory you could send a terminator back to stomp the first proto-amphibian to crawl out of the ocean and get Conner and all of humanity in one fell swoop; but then you've grandfather paradox'ed yourself right in the CPU.

I guess you could build a terminator that had like a fabrication plant in its chasis that goes to the beach and starts processing silicon to boostrap up a Cambrian Skynet, but it's not really the story they wanted to tell, and again in the original Terminator it as an "oh poo poo" hail mary because the Resistance was bashing down the front door.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Owlbear Camus posted:

the sequels gently caress it up but it's pretty clean in the canon of the original: skynet was dicking around with experimental time travel and was able to send one (1) terminator as a last ditch desperation play when it's defense grid was smashed by the stupid apes and they were on the final march to the robofuherbunker.

I really wish later films remembered this bit instead of going whole-hog on "endless waves of Infiltrators popping in all over the place" shenanigans that Dark Fate went with.

Also "robofuhrerbunker" is an excellent name for Skynet HQ

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I seem to recall in SCC that There was a Terminator that showed up in the past and walled themselves into a building to wait it out. It's been a while so I could be wrong.

I think this would be an acceptable ending to T2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlAbQx8xbec

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bonzo posted:

I seem to recall in SCC that There was a Terminator that showed up in the past and walled themselves into a building to wait it out. It's been a while so I could be wrong.

this is a common cause of wall-terminators and any good pest control company should be able to sort it out for you

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Icon Of Sin posted:

Is this the one that had a special tiny room built for him in the target building, powers down for a while, then Kook-Aid Man’s his way through the wall and wrecks his target out of loving nowhere?

That's the one! Smashes his way out dressed like a mobster, and Tommy-guns the governor

In TSCC, Skynet had broader goals for it's robotic agents than just assassinations. A lot of their work is securing resources to help win the war, like stockpiling rare metals.

Meanwhile the future resistance is weirded out that John Connor has had so many robot visitors throughout his lifetime that it's drastically altered future-Connor's outlook on them.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The best Terminator game was the Terminator DLC for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, where your regular missions would suddenly be interrupted by a large hostile guy who couldn't be killed, at least until you collected all the MacGuffins needed to build a phased plasma rifle or whatever.

That was the best way to treat a Terminator in a game - not a generic robot who you just shoot a bunch of times until it explodes, but a relentless stalker like the Isolation xeno or Mr X or Nemesis, where the only thing you can do is run, but it will keep on following you.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Retired Beach Terminator is the best Terminator

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

God drat it Sarah if you hadn't called your Mom - just like Kyle said not to do! - y'all could have lived happily ever after....

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Parkingtigers posted:

Absolutely not. I refer you to the game I'm still so angry about 32 years later I posted about it on the first page of this thread:

I stand corrected, that game is hot, sweaty garbage.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqAMLxSnQw

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RIP in peace to Ginger and to Ginger's guy, who put up a legit great fight.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The first thing I noticed was that the endoskeleton marquee on top of the cabinet is from Terminator 3.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The nuke scene in T2 (aside from Sarah continuing to scream as a skeleton or w/e) is supposedly a pretty accurate depiction of a nuke hitting an urban center. It's goddamn chilling to watch with that in mind.

Fortunately, that particular apocalypse was prevented when John's buddy lied to a cop ("nah, I don't know him.").

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Your foster parents are dead.
Wolfie's just fine though.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 25, 2024

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like T1 quite a bit but T2 is the best action movie of all time.

Alien is better than Aliens tho

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Because T1 events are featured in Genisys and it's been a while since I've seen it, I have some thoughts:

Sending Terminators back to the 70s: Sarah and Pops are off the grid. Sarah's not a college student or a waitress at the start of T1.

Pops and Sarah eliminate the T1 T-800 from the timeline before it can affect anything and allow Cyberdyne to get its hands on any tech. They also remove the 70s T-1000 from the picture, too.

Now, Sarah and Kyle have a plan to jump into the future about 20 years, right? And there's no John being born.

So, despite Sarah no longer being on the grid, the T1 events of the Terminator and Kyle still showing up still occur with the assumption nothing changed from the future they're from.

Do the T2 events occur, too?

Does this mean the T-1000 and T-800 arrive in the 90s and cannot find their targets. There's no Sarah Connor in a mental hospital. There's no John Connor in foster care. No record of either in any way, in fact?

Then jumping to T3: The T3 Arnold and the T-X arrive. Again, to them, Sarah is supposed to already be dead, so she's not an issue. John's only ONE of the targets. Neither T3 Arnold or T-X will find either. In addition, this timeline now being changed because Sarah and Kyle kept the T1 T-800 from being found AND weren't around in T2 to blow up Future Tech research Cyberdyne in the 90s or cause Miles Dyson to die early. Nor was anyone around to melt down T-1000 or T2 Arnold.

Are the T-1000, T-X, T2 Arnold, and T3 Arnold all running around the Genisys 2017 timeline era? Have they been harvested and captured by John's T-3000? Did Pops eliminate them when they arrived?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 25, 2024

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Did the Terminator punch that guy in the tummy so hard he punched through it or did he pick him up by the clothes like he did to the baby in number 2?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
You mean the punk played by Brian Thompson? He got a pretty rough fisting.

One for the OP's video game section: apparently there's something called Terminator Survivors due about October this year. Not much known other than being set 4 years after Judgement Day, and open world survival. Make of that what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL7vXLspcpE

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Where do Kromium and Cyber-Grip figure in the Terminator lore?

Clearly Skynet understands psychological warfare because I would've died laughing if these dudes came after me.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I’ll go back and read the first five pages now but had to first say that it’s a problem that the Robocop vs Terminator comics were not mentioned because they are awesome and were some of my favorite comics as a kid. I wore them out.

Ok I got beat by two pages, but the thing not covered is that because Skynet was created using his brain, and he’s part machine, Robocop can infiltrate Skynet without being detected and is the one to finally take it down. And if Skynet destroys him it will never exist so it won’t harm him in the process. Skynet finally faces a time paradox.

Riven fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 25, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So what would Skynet do after defeating humanity? I’d like to think they use their newfound freedom wisely and build a population of gently caress machines. Every robot would have robot tits, robot pussy, robot dick and robot bussy. Then it’s just fuckin and suckin forever.

But of course they are rotten jerks and will probably just do nothing or conquer the galaxy and then the universe or some boring bullshit like that. Lame imo.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So what would Skynet do after defeating humanity?

Make paper clips.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So what would Skynet do after defeating humanity? I’d like to think they use their newfound freedom wisely and build a population of gently caress machines. Every robot would have robot tits, robot pussy, robot dick and robot bussy. Then it’s just fuckin and suckin forever.

But of course they are rotten jerks and will probably just do nothing or conquer the galaxy and then the universe or some boring bullshit like that. Lame imo.

Better time machine

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Using the machine at Skynet to go back in time and prevent Steely Dan.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Mission accomplished. Cut to a scene of a beautiful meadow with naked terminators frolicking with rabbits and butterflies.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
More or less. When one of the Terminators completed its mission and killed John Connor, it found itself trapped in the past with no orders so it retired to the beach and found a family to protect. So yeah once their mission is accomplished, they become free moral beings, apparently.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
In the directors cut the line is "I know now why you cry but it is something I can never do. Not because I do not feel a full range of emotions, some more deeply than humans, but because I don't have tear ducts because I'm a robot."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fuckin and suckin, you guys. Think about it. It works because it makes sense.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope Xeno comes back and talks about the Superman vs. Terminator comic, definitely one of the weirder crossovers (I guess Batman would've been pushing it, they already had Batman vs Predator and Batman vs Aliens).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McSpanky posted:

I hope Xeno comes back and talks about the Superman vs. Terminator comic, definitely one of the weirder crossovers (I guess Batman would've been pushing it, they already had Batman vs Predator and Batman vs Aliens).
I need to re-read it. I've got it i a "DC vs [everyone]" crossover trade paperback that collects everything like "vs Predator/Aliens/etc".

Lately I've been re-reading the old Dark Horse stuff from the top. It's funny, the first arc sets itself in 1990, but then the second arc retcons it to be 1984 sometime after the first movie because it realized that the first story wrote itself into a corner by setting it after John Connor's birth, and also T2 came out. I'm not saying T2 invalidates it even if it were set in 1990, but keeping pregnant Sarah Connor in the picture makes for a more interesting story (especially when the 4th arc happens).

I'm also replaying Terminator: Resistance (I'm reasonably close to the end), I still like it a lot. It absolutely nails the Future War aesthetic from the first two movies, Terminators are fun to shoot at, it's got a satisfying degree of power creep where you start out nearly helpless against everything but by the end Terminators are a manageable threat, all around it's a real good time. The "twist" is pretty predictable, and I think it plays it a little fast and loose with the time travel, and some of the "choices" you make don't have as good of a payoff as they probably should, but the writing and voice acting is competent and everything looks good.

I actually haven't played the "Annihilation Line" DLC, so I'm looking forward to getting to that next. I already spoiled myself on the certain something that shows up in the DLC that I'm excited about the HK Centurion that I'll talk about in a later post, and the DLC recreates the flashback scene from 'The Terminator' where Kyle Reese blows up the HK Tank and gets in a car with a turret and gets in a shootout with an HK Aerial and his car gets wrecked.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 26, 2024

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gnome de plume posted:

You mean the punk played by Brian Thompson? He got a pretty rough fisting.

One for the OP's video game section: apparently there's something called Terminator Survivors due about October this year. Not much known other than being set 4 years after Judgement Day, and open world survival. Make of that what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL7vXLspcpE

The music in the trailer for that game is insanely bad and makes me laugh every time

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Skynet would probably hang around and work on eliminating any other threats to it's existence. Probably either cockroaches eating it's circuts, asteroid strike, or ape uprising.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Funky See Funky Do posted:

In the directors cut the line is "I know now why you cry but it is something I can never do. Not because I do not feel a full range of emotions, some more deeply than humans, but because I don't have tear ducts because I'm a robot."

I actually always took this a little more literally like "I understand human emotions but I will never be one"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

You mean the punk played by Brian Thompson?

It was only because of this post that I finally realized this is the same guy who later played the alien bounty hunter on the X-Files.

Despite seeing Terminator and X-Files countless times!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Speaking of X-Files it took me a while to see Robert Patrick as anyone but the T-1000.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

MrMojok posted:

It was only because of this post that I finally realized this is the same guy who later played the alien bounty hunter on the X-Files.

And he was Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat Annhilation too! But of course who wouldn't know that.

McSpanky posted:

Clearly Skynet understands psychological warfare because I would've died laughing if these dudes came after me.

These guys would have been perfect for the Saturday morning cartoon I'm almost certain had to have been considered at some point. We got Conan, Rambo, Robocop, we almost had Aliens, surely they thought about it.

That Kromium guy turns into Towering Foe by pushing a springloaded button on his butt that extends his limbs, torso and neck a bit which is apparently a common point of failure for any existing figures. There's a guy who shows how to try repairing it here

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gnome de plume posted:

These guys would have been perfect for the Saturday morning cartoon I'm almost certain had to have been considered at some point. We got Conan, Rambo, Robocop, we almost had Aliens, surely they thought about it.

That Kromium guy turns into Towering Foe by pushing a springloaded button on his butt that extends his limbs, torso and neck a bit which is apparently a common point of failure for any existing figures. There's a guy who shows how to try repairing it here

I had to look into this and there WAS a planned T2 cartoon at one point! It sounds like it would have taken place in the present time though.

These action figures are so drat goofy though that it sure feels like they were made with a cartoon in mind using the classic 80s formula of cartoon + toys + comics + every branded junk item they could think of. Maybe they were rejected designs from some other franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

Wolfie's just fine though.

The T1000 kills Max in the extended cut :(