Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Quote-Unquote posted:

The T1000 kills Max in the extended cut :(
:(

I just watched that scene on YouTube. He did it to get the dog's collar, then saw that his name was Max. I guess that makes sense; no reason for the T-1000 to bother killing a dog otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That was a different t-1000 entirely. Sent back in time to kill to the fake Max. Who was a dog terminator. The real Max was fine and stayed with those guys in Mexico.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Speaking of X-Files it took me a while to see Robert Patrick as anyone but the T-1000.

The Wayne's World cameo was great.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrMojok posted:

It was only because of this post that I finally realized this is the same guy who later played the alien bounty hunter on the X-Files.

Despite seeing Terminator and X-Files countless times!

If there's a 90's/early 2000s sci fi show, he's probably been in it.

He was the second in command vampire in the first season of Buffy.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Speaking of the extended cut, it's super weird that the bit where the T1000 unloads on that random janitor between John and itself is cut. It's such a brutal shot that shows this killing machine will shoot through a human that happens to be in the way.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Quote-Unquote posted:

Speaking of the extended cut, it's super weird that the bit where the T1000 unloads on that random janitor between John and itself is cut. It's such a brutal shot that shows this killing machine will shoot through a human that happens to be in the way.

What, is this extended cut only? I could have sworn I remembered that scene from my VCR viewings as a kid and that was not Extended Cut.

What bad things do you think the extended cut added? I do not like the bits in the end when the T-1000 is losing control, I liked it a lot better with it being completely fine through everything until it drops into the lava (that I know is not lava but I've called it lava since I was 8 and I don't plan to stop now)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Zugzwang posted:

I just watched that scene on YouTube. He did it to get the dog's collar, then saw that his name was Max. I guess that makes sense; no reason for the T-1000 to bother killing a dog otherwise.

Dogs are to terminators what tribbles are to Klingons.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Man with Hat posted:

What bad things do you think the extended cut added? I do not like the bits in the end when the T-1000 is losing control, I liked it a lot better with it being completely fine through everything until it drops into the lava (that I know is not lava but I've called it lava since I was 8 and I don't plan to stop now)

The scene with Dyson is boring and the smile scene is too goofy. The extended part with the toggling the dip switch on the chip should have been left in though.

I liked the parts where the T-1000 is damaged from being frozen… It shows that it is just a machine and that fancy mimetic polyalloy can be damaged. It brings up an interesting thought that maybe the T-1000 wouldn’t last very long; perhaps it would start disintegrating or melting after a few years.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I could have sworn that the scene with the janitor is in the EC.

I agree the smile scene isn't very necessary. I also always skip the scene where Reese comes to Sarah in her dream. The dialogue feels so clunky and his delivery is painful.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Totally forgot about that scene. Yeah, that’s another one that was cut for good reason

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Man with Hat posted:

What, is this extended cut only? I could have sworn I remembered that scene from my VCR viewings as a kid and that was not Extended Cut.

Sorry, I mean the bit I was talking about is inexplicably missing from the extended cut.

I'm not a fan of the extended cut in general, but I do actually like seeing the T1000 start to fail. I think it helps explain why it goes loving nuts on Arnie, slowing down its pursuit of John, instead of just leaving him trapped. It's simply not functioning with the same level of ruthless calculation as before.

The scene switching on Arnie's learning mode is also kinda cool if only because it's really interesting how they filmed it.

The extra bits with Dyson, Sarah's dream in the hospital and the Max killing aren't very good - the first two because they gently caress with the pacing and the third because it's just pointless; it's obvious that the T1000 would realise that it has been tricked without needing to confirm the dog's name and kill him for no real reason.

Mr. Merdle posted:

I could have sworn that the scene with the janitor is in the EC.

At first I thought it was just missing from the EC that I saw on TV, but then it was missing from my old DVD too. I have three 4k blu ray of the original cut and no other version now so I can't check to confirm.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 26, 2024

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

We are talking about the same scene, right? Where the terminators come face to face and Arnold swings John in front of him to shield him from the bullets?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mr. Merdle posted:

We are talking about the same scene, right? Where the terminators come face to face and Arnold swings John in front of him to shield him from the bullets?

Yeah and the janitor guy gets shot a whole lot

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sorry, I mean the bit I was talking about is inexplicably missing from the extended cut.

I'm not a fan of the extended cut in general, but I do actually like seeing the T1000 start to fail. I think it helps explain why it goes loving nuts on Arnie, slowing down its pursuit of John, instead of just leaving him trapped. It's simply not functioning with the same level of ruthless calculation as before.

To me this is just the T-1000 deciding that Arnold is too big of a hinderance after all the other times he's come in the way and deciding to finish it once and for all. A t-1000 should also be able to learn and at a certain point it just learns that killing John would be a lot faster without a terminator shooting him all the time.

And it's a super duper dope scene where he just repetedly crushes his face with a giant girder without changing his expression at all. This has nothing to do with the above, I just really liked it when I saw it yesterday.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Quote-Unquote posted:

The scene switching on Arnie's learning mode is also kinda cool if only because it's really interesting how they filmed it.

The extra bits with Dyson, Sarah's dream in the hospital and the Max killing aren't very good - the first two because they gently caress with the pacing and the third because it's just pointless; it's obvious that the T1000 would realise that it has been tricked without needing to confirm the dog's name and kill him for no real reason.

At first I thought it was just missing from the EC that I saw on TV, but then it was missing from my old DVD too. I have three 4k blu ray of the original cut and no other version now so I can't check to confirm.

The Terminators are programmed to kill haters.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I remember the scene where he crashes down on to the LA “River” blowing my dumb kid mind.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Turns out I do have the EC as part of the big box set that includes the 4k and 3d blu rays, soundtrack on silver vinyl and a lenticular lithograph thingy. Will have to check it out to solve the mystery of the dead janitor.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I'm rewatching Terminator 1 and he just runs away from a car crash because a bunch of cops show up when he has the perfect opportunity to Kill Sarah. I mean, sure, he was hurt and all but not that bad. Does anyone have an in-universe explanation for this?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Doyist:
It gives the narrative room to breathe and sets up the conflict of the cops not believing the threat.

Watsonioan:
The Terminator was all hosed up from small arms fire and slamming full speed into a concrete wall and he'd have to wade through an unknown number of potentially heavily armed opponents. He withdraws to repair, as we see in the film.

He is single-minded but not stupid and presumably knows its an all-or-nothing mission for skynets existence. He knows they will be in police custody and that waiting a couple hours increases probability of mission success drastically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

I'm rewatching Terminator 1 and he just runs away from a car crash because a bunch of cops show up when he has the perfect opportunity to Kill Sarah. I mean, sure, he was hurt and all but not that bad. Does anyone have an in-universe explanation for this?

The Terminator is an infiltration machine. While its primary purpose is to kill Sarah Connor, it has a limited amount of tools it has access to in order to do so, probably the most valuable of which is its ability to mimic human flesh. If it fails to kill Sarah Connor then the ensuing fight could leave it no longer able to effectively disguise. In addition the Terminator needs to remain hidden because (in T1) it is under the impression that the future can be changed, and if humanity discovers there is a walking cyborg skull monster roaming the streets then it could lead to Skynet being shut down or stopped before it gets going.

Like it's worth noting that the Terminator's end goal involves staying at least somewhat hidden. It isn't until it has its loving skin melted off that it goes yolo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well said. His next move is to go back to the hotel room and do that eyeball operation I think and clean up.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When you guys are talking about the Terminator 2 EC, do you mean the director's cut or the ultimate edition? The latter includes more than the former, including some stuff that was never intended for any theatrical cut but was thrown in for the DVD in a kitchen-sink, see-how-the-sausage-is-made way like the T-800 trying to smile and T-1000 touch-sensing John's room. The commentary on it is really good, Cameron does a fantastic job of explaining why certain scenes were kept or deleted.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I didn’t realize there were more than two cuts… I’ve only seen the one included in the Extreme Edition DVD which is apparently the Special Edition cut, not the kitchen-sink Extended Edition.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

The Terminator is an infiltration machine. While its primary purpose is to kill Sarah Connor, it has a limited amount of tools it has access to in order to do so, probably the most valuable of which is its ability to mimic human flesh. If it fails to kill Sarah Connor then the ensuing fight could leave it no longer able to effectively disguise. In addition the Terminator needs to remain hidden because (in T1) it is under the impression that the future can be changed, and if humanity discovers there is a walking cyborg skull monster roaming the streets then it could lead to Skynet being shut down or stopped before it gets going.

Like it's worth noting that the Terminator's end goal involves staying at least somewhat hidden. It isn't until it has its loving skin melted off that it goes yolo.

Yeah but then he drives full speed into a police station full of armed cops and cameras so idk. I guess the damage might have been more severe than it looks later.

Just to clarify, great movie, I enjoyed it a lot when I rewatched it today, this does not make it bad it just has me wondering what people think about it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Well said. His next move is to go back to the hotel room and do that eyeball operation I think and clean up.

He also does surgery on his wrist, which is apparently jacked up.

I (re)completed Terminator: Resistance last night, the final battle does a fantastic job of the humans doing an all-out attack on Skynet and giving you this fantastic power fantasy where you’re just blasting robots all over the place while your buddies are popping off RPGs to down Aerial HKs and you’re being supported by a reprogrammed HK Tank that’s laying down covering fire behind you, all the while the Terminator theme music is building and building in the background as the battle escalates. It rules.

Onward to the DLC.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

McSpanky posted:

When you guys are talking about the Terminator 2 EC, do you mean the director's cut or the ultimate edition? The latter includes more than the former, including some stuff that was never intended for any theatrical cut but was thrown in for the DVD in a kitchen-sink, see-how-the-sausage-is-made way like the T-800 trying to smile and T-1000 touch-sensing John's room. The commentary on it is really good, Cameron does a fantastic job of explaining why certain scenes were kept or deleted.

Well now I've no idea which of the longer cuts I've seen. I only know that it killed the pacing and while some scenes were nice, the ones that were bad also made the film too long in the middle.

Not that I want to watch two inferior versions of a great film, but I'd like to know which inferior version I watched.

Did the ultimate edition include that weird alternate/real future ending where an elderly Sarah Connor sits out in the park with her granddaughter? Because I know I didn't see that in the version I watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEaS8X1_gcU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t think any of the cuts have that scene; it’s always just been a bonus

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm watching terminator right now

Mr Futterman from Gremlins just got blown away.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
My favorite Terminator game was Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Future War scenes in this look so good. I miss when films used really sweet miniatures.

What was the last big film that used amazing minis? Lord of the Rings?

Edit: poor Pugsley. Never mentioned again. Probably ate Ginger and her boyfriend to stay alive.

More edit: I want to visit an alternate dimension where Lance Henrikson was the Terminator. Dude is great in everything, even terrible films like Hellraiser 8.

even more edit: lol when Arnie lands on the car outside tech noir he's pulling this weird face and he looks like James from Twin Peaks

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 27, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

More edit: I want to visit an alternate dimension where Lance Henrikson was the Terminator. Dude is great in everything, even terrible films like Hellraiser 8.

I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but he almost was - James Cameron even did mock-up concept art of Henriksen in the role.
Cameron’s thinking was that the Terminator would be a more effective infiltrator if he could just look like some random dude, but Arnold was such an impressive screen presence (he originally auditioned for Kyle Reese) that he reimagined the Terminator as being this brutal unstoppable tank of an opponent.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but he almost was - James Cameron even did mock-up concept art of Henriksen in the role.
Cameron’s thinking was that the Terminator would be a more effective infiltrator if he could just look like some random dude, but Arnold was such an impressive screen presence (he originally auditioned for Kyle Reese) that he reimagined the Terminator as being this brutal unstoppable tank of an opponent.

Yeah I know, that's what I was referring to. Arnie as Reese would have been terrible, so I'm happy with what we got. Just wish we lived in a timeline where Lance was a huge star because he's awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah I know, that's what I was referring to. Arnie as Reese would have been terrible, so I'm happy with what we got. Just wish we lived in a timeline where Lance was a huge star because he's awesome.

He really is, I got to meet him in person for a showing of ‘Aliens’ and he’s super cool. I got him to sign my Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Update: Confirmed that The Terminator still owns immensely. Ridiculously good film.

I'm probably gonna watch the whole series over the next few days, which I'm sure I will regret.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Does Terminator still have to put that they stole from that sex pest bitch Harlan Ellison in the end credits?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Does Terminator still have to put that they stole from that sex pest bitch Harlan Ellison in the end credits?

I believe so, and I didn’t know Harlan Ellison was a sex pest, that’s pretty messed up.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Xenomrph posted:

Arnold was such an impressive screen presence (he originally auditioned for Kyle Reese)

now there's an alternate universe

"We took shelter in a Gold's Gym to hide from the Hunter Killers, with nothing but protein powder to survive on."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was curious and looked around but didn’t find anything about Harlan Ellison being a sex pest; closest thing was assaulting a woman on stage at an awards show and sticking up for an accused child molester (until that person pleaded guilty). Seemed mostly like a royal rear end in a top hat all around, although he did a lot to promote Ursula K. Le Guin and Octavia Butler among others.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea did you see the part about groping women and how it wasn’t the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I just checked both the 'special edition' and the 'extended special edition' that come on the extra regular blu ray with the 4K package and they both have the bit with the mall janitor being shot.

Maybe it was some weird UK edit I had on DVD years ago? We had loads of weird edits in our home releases up until 1999 when the weirdo running the BBFC finally hosed off, like nunchucks being banned from all films. Which made a lot of Bruce Lee films just not get a release, and the bit where Michaelangelo uses sausage links as nunchucks in Turtles 2 had to be cut out.