Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A story I've told before in the other threads but IMO it should be here:

A few years back I went to see Terminator 2: Judgment Day in theatre, on 'Judgment Day' (August 29th I think, if the T2 canon holds). The theatre we went to was the Royal Cinema, a local repertory that's also used as a sound mixdown studio for films. Big console in the sweet spot, nice soundsystem and acoustic treatment, the whole shebang.

My friend and I quickly realized this was just some film students renting out the theatre to show a Blu-Ray copy of the movie. They did a little skit before the show and then the lights dimmed and someone was clicking through the Blu-Ray menu on screen. A little embarrassing, but OK whatever, I'm seeing T2 in theatres.

And then the movie started, without sound.

It made it all the way up to basically the end of the future scene-setting, before they stopped it. People in the audience were making "pew pew" laser gun and explosion sounds with their mouths. It stopped and someone came out and apologized, then spent a couple of minutes 'fixing it'. The movie started again, this time mit sound! Joy!

Except the center channel was missing. You know, the center channel, where dialog and voice-over lives. So this battle raged over the future hellscape, without any Sarah Connor VO establishing what was going on. People were laughing and grumbling, a few people ran to the back to tell the staff. I was getting a bit pissed, but when the shot showing old grizzled John Connor (in his fatigues bearing a 'CONNOR' nametape) appeared, someone in the audience shouted "WHO'S THAT?!?!" and that was funny enough that I stayed.

They got the center channel back and we watched the whole thing and got free tickets at the end for the gently caress-up. Seriously, who forgets to plug in the center channel in a theatre like that? Anyway, it's a pretty fun memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Using the machine at Skynet to go back in time and prevent Steely Dan.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Quote-Unquote posted:

Holy poo poo that was Dean Norris in the SWAT team? I don't think I've watched this since watching Breaking Bad.

Last summer I went to my cottage with some friends and we got rained out so we watched a bunch of movies each night. We realized that every single movie we watched had Dean Norris in it (Starship Troopers, Total Recall, Fist Fight).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Rewatching Salvation for the first time probably since it came out. I remember enjoying it but good lord is it ever dumb. Cool action and design, but the script and most of the acting are painful.

It does have some cool sound design though, and that sort of speaks to a theory I've been kicking around about trends in media and music: Techniques are often heavily informed by the toolsets that they're created with, and designers will often find a similar sound palette as what's trendy in music at the time. I should figure out a better way to word that, but basically this movie came out in 2009, right when some particularly growly and aggressive genres of electronic music were being cooked up. The robot sounds in this movie absolutely reek of the same VSTs and production techniques used to produce those kinds of musical sounds (NI Massive, wavetables and granular sampling/synthesis). Another good example of this is the new Reaper sounds in the third Mass Effect games: [i]they sound like dubstep.[/]

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

Another similarity between the two, and this speaks to how you said the script is dumb, is that they both were in production at the height of a writer’s strike and their scripts absolutely suffered for it. Salvation’s production was all over the place, with constant reshoots and rewrites (especially the ending, which got rewritten and reshot after the synopsis got leaked online).

I forgot about that writer's strike. Good point. It was definitely a fun action movie, most anything with Terminators or Aliens in it is at least enough for me to turn off my brain for a couple of hours, but it falls apart at even a little scrutiny. And it's got Christian Bale screaming'method acting' galore.

True about the Transformers sound design connection. That's all granular synthesis, fun stuff.