Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

I'm rewatching Terminator 1 and he just runs away from a car crash because a bunch of cops show up when he has the perfect opportunity to Kill Sarah. I mean, sure, he was hurt and all but not that bad. Does anyone have an in-universe explanation for this?

The Terminator is an infiltration machine. While its primary purpose is to kill Sarah Connor, it has a limited amount of tools it has access to in order to do so, probably the most valuable of which is its ability to mimic human flesh. If it fails to kill Sarah Connor then the ensuing fight could leave it no longer able to effectively disguise. In addition the Terminator needs to remain hidden because (in T1) it is under the impression that the future can be changed, and if humanity discovers there is a walking cyborg skull monster roaming the streets then it could lead to Skynet being shut down or stopped before it gets going.

Like it's worth noting that the Terminator's end goal involves staying at least somewhat hidden. It isn't until it has its loving skin melted off that it goes yolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Watching T3 and I'm already annoyed. This infiltrator robot travelled back in time, arrived IN A CLOTHES SHOP but instead of getting clothes and maybe discretely stealing a nondescript car it walks naked into an intersection and murders a woman in full view of who knows how many cameras then steals her flashy convertible, and almost immediately gets pulled over by the police but it's okay because she can make her boobs big.

There is a reason they didn't send her back first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My assumption with Skynet has always been that it is 'intelligent' but only in an extremely limited straightforward way. It is given a problem and solves it without considering exactly what happens next.

"Humans are trying to shut me down" -> "Being shut down overrides my directives" -> "Humans are enemy" -> "Nuclear war kills humans." And that makes it go "problem solved" and it wurrs along like a happy computer until the next problem comes along.

So why did it make plasma weapons? Because at some point humans got some kind of heavy defenses or tanks or something working and Skynet went "Humans are heavily armored -> Plasma Weapon prototype located in databanks -> Equip Unit With Plasma -> Problem solved" and there's no real moment it goes the extra step to go "and now humans might have access to plasma weapons" because once it reaches Problem Solved it's good.

This also meshes with what we're told of how it functions. Its initial attempts at creating infiltrators sucked because it wasn't actually able to create something logically, it had to trial-and-error until it stumbled on one that works. Or even the entire time travel thing. "Enemy leader John Connor lead them to victory -> Connor must die -> Time Travel allows me to send a unit back to kill Connor -> Information incomplete? Brute Force it by killing everyone named Sarah Connor in a certain location in a certain time period."

Skynet is scary because it can't be reasoned with and isn't a logical thing. It's a machine designed to solve problems that got it into its head that humanity was a problem that needed to be solved and it is basic enough that it brute forces things until they are solved or it fails. It is even why its infiltration unit is a jacked loving Austrian bodybuilder because it was one of the designs that Worked at least once and so Skynet made a happy little check mark next to "Infiltration Unit Succeeded" and started building off that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a scene where some dudes have to explain 9/11 to Sarah Connor IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just please god make a Terminator film whose basic premise isn't "John Connor has died" or "John Connor dies at the end" or "John Connor dies and is replaced by a robot" or anything of the sort.