Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*rattles bottle

Laundry day? Nothing clean??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What tha hell??

*lightning strikes an old man's dumpster

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I can't support Kyle Reese, not after he stole that hobo's pants, "That son of a bitch took my pants." the hobo wailed. I can't stand that, was like watching a dog get kicked. I understand it's serious business and the whole world is at stake, but there are lines you just don't cross.

LOL

Ok first, he was a bum, not a hobo. Hobos ride on trains.

Second, lol. I've been thinking about those pants since the mid 80's.

I mean, Kyle just came from the post apocalypse future, so he's probably fine with the pants, right?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I saw T2 opening night at a theater in Lawrence MA, right off 495. On a double date, and I was with this woman that was my everything....

Every time I drive by that theater, I think of that night, of T2. One of my most cherished movie memories. And so as I was traveling 495 the last few years I was saddened to see that theater closed. I haven't driven by in a while, it may be gone by now. I have all these Terminator memories intertwined with that place in Lawrence.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Don't leave us hanging. What happened to the woman? Did she go back in time?

She was Skynet

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Agreed about Terminator, disagree about Aliens.

The T1 v T2 debate. To be clear, I think we can ALL agree both movies are absolute classics and beloved. So what we're talking about is just nuances, points of subjectivity. Not hating.

So, that said, I think T1 is the far superior movie. One of the all time great horror movies. T2 is awesome, and is a great sci fi movie, but is far more a "Summer Bombastic Box Office!" movie and it certainly succeeds at that. But when I compare the two, that ranks it lower to me than the small, tense, terrifying T1. It's a low budget indie film V the same director being given a bazillion dollars. That director still kicks rear end and makes a classic, but it's an entirely different beast.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

500excf type r posted:

The teenage boy was making friends with the killer robot from the future

No problemo!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just LOL that Skynet's choice for an "Infiltrator" model is a 6'3 jacked guy during the apocalypse when people are living on rats.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The end of T3 redeems it. And yeah just as an action spectacle that crane chase scene is crazy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

yeah i really liked the ending of T3 and they should have continued the franchise from there. instead it feels like they just kept trying to make a terminator 2 sequel

That's EXACTLY how I feel about every movie after T3: They keep trying to make a T2 sequel.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

To be fair, that is a low point and Furlong overall is not great.

T2 also has the whole "Arnie the Terminator is good now and learning how to love arc" which is a whole thing. Compare that to any arcs in the original movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The sheer amount of non-CGI property damage in that scene is bananas.

For those that need a refresher:

https://youtu.be/mBS0wio_JnE?si=heywJOdBFUx1vak5

I watched it again, still amazing. Did they build a downtown for this scene? I'd love to know more about the practicals of this scene, cause they must have been enormous.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

In the comics, Skynet gains sentience thanks to Robocop’s brain, so a human goes back in time to assassinate him while Skynet sends some Terminators back in time to protect him.

Gosh, that's dumb as hell, but I get the comic book plot logic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I absolutely love the second act in Terminator in the police station. You get that classic horror movie 2nd act "oh we're safe now, thank god!" feeling for a bit - while Reese is ranting like a madman in the background that everyone here is hosed!

Then of course everyone there is hosed, the Terminator is here.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OMG this is amazing.

Also summarizes my feelings about T1/T2

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree that there's a lot of corny poo poo in T2 but none of it is really terrible enough to ruin the experience for me.

I genuinely dislike bad acting and forced dialogue (like you cited) in movies that are trying to be serious but this movie gets so much right that I can genuinely overlook its rather minor flaws. It's been said to death but Aliens is to Alien as Terminator 2 is to Terminator and that's hard to argue against. Flaws aside, I absolutely LOVE all four films and consider them among my all time classics.

I think that Terminator is the better overall film than T2 simply because it's tighter and more basic but, depending on my mood, sometimes I want to ramp that poo poo up and T2 is just always such a loving blast to watch. I mentioned I was on LSD the first time I saw it and I definitely recall being the only one laughing during certain scenes that were supposed to be taken dead serious but I still left the theater thinking it was incredible.

robo jealousy

I agree with many of your points but want to point out so hard that establishing these hate/love dynamics sucks so much when trying to compare two things you love. Like, I literally love T2 as a movie, it's one of my favorites of all time. BUT I think the original is even better. But when trying to discuss the differences why, can it not be helped to be a "hater"? I will watch any and all of them whenever, because they are all amazing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just what you see pal.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

All the stuff those guys did 15 years ago on the old internet was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlicWUDf5MM

That's funny too, but not as good as the other one IMO.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

032324 posted:

i'm currently playing One Man Island

You have been targeted for termination.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

032324 posted:

*has no idea that this guy is bigger than the Worker*

Wow, what's that about?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

032324 posted:

A Very Expensive Human Shield

Shielding whom from what?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RIP to Traxler and Vukovich. Who were probably dirty cops but god drat did they step up to help Sarah. The whole precinct really.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sarah sleeping on that nasty rear end police couch

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If a theoretical Terminator were after me I would simply say no, I don't accept this.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

ever since the terminator came out i made sure my number was not listed in the white pages, just in case!

They're shooting at the cans!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Ngl, the idea of Skynet just sending hordes of terminators to kill people all the time ruins the concept. You short-changed Skynet when she was buying Snickers at the gas station? Terminator on your granddad. You were late with the takeout to the Cyberdyne building? Your mom is terminated. Late on rent? You bet your uncle's on the termination list.

Agreed. But the entire premise of the movie is built on time travel, so.....

It worked well enough in the original, but as you have more and more sequels....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

God drat it Sarah if you hadn't called your Mom - just like Kyle said not to do! - y'all could have lived happily ever after....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RIP in peace to Ginger and to Ginger's guy, who put up a legit great fight.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So what would Skynet do after defeating humanity? I’d like to think they use their newfound freedom wisely and build a population of gently caress machines. Every robot would have robot tits, robot pussy, robot dick and robot bussy. Then it’s just fuckin and suckin forever.

But of course they are rotten jerks and will probably just do nothing or conquer the galaxy and then the universe or some boring bullshit like that. Lame imo.

Better time machine

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrMojok posted:

It was only because of this post that I finally realized this is the same guy who later played the alien bounty hunter on the X-Files.

Despite seeing Terminator and X-Files countless times!

If there's a 90's/early 2000s sci fi show, he's probably been in it.

He was the second in command vampire in the first season of Buffy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well said. His next move is to go back to the hotel room and do that eyeball operation I think and clean up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not sure If they ever say, but in the films I think everyone arrives in LA implying limited geographic range.

which is actually funny because given the constant movement of the planet time travel even a couple seconds into the past or future without some kind of serious location compensation would put you in space

Any time machine has to be a "space/time" machine for this point. You'd just end up floating in space instead of 1984 LA

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

Where in space though? Let's say an hour time travel, do you end up 67,000 miles into space, 514000 miles into space, 1,3 million miles into space or some other number? I'm sticking with time machines make themselves the center of the universe and everything rotates around them because it's all relative

Whoever is smart enough to invent a working time machine also somehow figured out a way to plot time/space coordinates.

Don't ask me how, I didn't build the drat thing!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, Man with Hat is saying that the Earth isn't the only thing moving in the universe. The Sun is orbiting the Milky Way, the Milky Way is moving relative to the neighboring galaxies in our local cluster, every galaxy in the universe is moving relative to each other and the universe itself is expanding. If relative motion is a problem for time travel it's an unimaginably enormous problem, so gently caress it, just handwave it.

ITT we develop a working time machine

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well, why don't you put her in charge?!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If we ever get targeted for termination I am your local Ranger, rally up to me and we then make a plan.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Terminator in the police station is the peak of all Terminator media, save perhaps for that first Sarah Connor encounter....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It will never not be surreal that that happened, and on the set of this film, and not some serious drama or period piece.

If it was a bit in a comedy it'd be hilarious.

"You do it one more loving time and I ain't walking on this set if you're still hired. I'm loving serious. You're a nice guy. You're a nice guy, but that don't loving cut it when you're loving around like this on set."

LISTEN! AND UNDERSTAND!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

For those unfamiliar with the originally planned ending of Salvation, John Connor was going to die from getting stabbed by the T-800 endoskeleton, and then Marcus Wright was going to, like, wear his skin and assume his identity as John Connor moving forward. Or at least that was one of the story ideas.

Funnily enough the Terminator Salvation sequel comics toy with the idea a bit. John Connor gets “killed” by the T-850 in 2032 as described in Terminator3, and his brain is put into a Terminator hybrid endoskeleton of the same model as Marcus’s and that’s how he’s able to “survive”

How wild is it that 2032 is only 8 years away....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lena Headey was a bad rear end Sarah Connor. I wonder if watching the show for the first time after her role in GoT will change opinions.