Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Quote-Unquote posted:

Speaking of the extended cut, it's super weird that the bit where the T1000 unloads on that random janitor between John and itself is cut. It's such a brutal shot that shows this killing machine will shoot through a human that happens to be in the way.

What, is this extended cut only? I could have sworn I remembered that scene from my VCR viewings as a kid and that was not Extended Cut.

What bad things do you think the extended cut added? I do not like the bits in the end when the T-1000 is losing control, I liked it a lot better with it being completely fine through everything until it drops into the lava (that I know is not lava but I've called it lava since I was 8 and I don't plan to stop now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sorry, I mean the bit I was talking about is inexplicably missing from the extended cut.

I'm not a fan of the extended cut in general, but I do actually like seeing the T1000 start to fail. I think it helps explain why it goes loving nuts on Arnie, slowing down its pursuit of John, instead of just leaving him trapped. It's simply not functioning with the same level of ruthless calculation as before.

To me this is just the T-1000 deciding that Arnold is too big of a hinderance after all the other times he's come in the way and deciding to finish it once and for all. A t-1000 should also be able to learn and at a certain point it just learns that killing John would be a lot faster without a terminator shooting him all the time.

And it's a super duper dope scene where he just repetedly crushes his face with a giant girder without changing his expression at all. This has nothing to do with the above, I just really liked it when I saw it yesterday.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I'm rewatching Terminator 1 and he just runs away from a car crash because a bunch of cops show up when he has the perfect opportunity to Kill Sarah. I mean, sure, he was hurt and all but not that bad. Does anyone have an in-universe explanation for this?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

The Terminator is an infiltration machine. While its primary purpose is to kill Sarah Connor, it has a limited amount of tools it has access to in order to do so, probably the most valuable of which is its ability to mimic human flesh. If it fails to kill Sarah Connor then the ensuing fight could leave it no longer able to effectively disguise. In addition the Terminator needs to remain hidden because (in T1) it is under the impression that the future can be changed, and if humanity discovers there is a walking cyborg skull monster roaming the streets then it could lead to Skynet being shut down or stopped before it gets going.

Like it's worth noting that the Terminator's end goal involves staying at least somewhat hidden. It isn't until it has its loving skin melted off that it goes yolo.

Yeah but then he drives full speed into a police station full of armed cops and cameras so idk. I guess the damage might have been more severe than it looks later.

Just to clarify, great movie, I enjoyed it a lot when I rewatched it today, this does not make it bad it just has me wondering what people think about it.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Quote-Unquote posted:

I think in some ways Furlong is the weakest member of the cast but that's such a high bar that it's not really an insult. Just watching the scene where he and Arnie bond and high five and he's totally believable as a kid that grew up without a dad that now has Best Dad Ever (as far as a 12 year old boy is concerned).

It's a bit jarring how his voice changes but drat, can't help puberty happening during a long shoot.

Time for the bomb scene!

Edit: well that's still horrifying. Why did my parents let me watch these films when I was 8?

Because they're awesome and your parents are cool. I too watched it (usually on repeat) when I was like 8.

Speaking of sick performances and the bomb scene, Joe Morton absolutely kills the dying scene.

I also think Edward Furlong did a pretty good job in T2, for a child actor. It's unusual they are really good but he does it well enough that it doesn't take away from the movie. He did pretty drat good in American History X and in Detroit Rock City when he got a bit older and a bit more experience.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
How does the time travel work btw, in where people end up geographically? Can they choose?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not sure If they ever say, but in the films I think everyone arrives in LA implying limited geographic range.

which is actually funny because given the constant movement of the planet time travel even a couple seconds into the past or future without some kind of serious location compensation would put you in space

This has always been a weird way to look at it to me. Sure, earth moves but so does the sun and the galaxy and everything else. The time machine might as well consider itself the center of the universe as anything else because there is nothing concrete to call "the center" and so everything moves. If the machine itself is the center of the universe you would not end up in space.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

redshirt posted:

Any time machine has to be a "space/time" machine for this point. You'd just end up floating in space instead of 1984 LA

Where in space though? Let's say an hour time travel, do you end up 67,000 miles into space, 514000 miles into space, 1,3 million miles into space or some other number? I'm sticking with time machines make themselves the center of the universe and everything rotates around them because it's all relative

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

steinrokkan posted:

I used to dislike T3 but, these days I'm actually kinda fond of it. It's the last gasp of the old style of movies in the style of the originals, honest action movies with practical effects, shot on location etc. Meanwhile all the other sequels are just confused mess with awful CGI visuals on top that try to look like the popular movie du jour. I suppose the contrast between the solid craftsmanship of T3 (despite the crap script) and the continuing enshittification of the sequels really drove home how much we've lost in cinema in general.

Also, world-building is poison and all the latter sequels try to use world-building as their hook.

I rewatched T3 because of the thread and it's not nearly as bad as I remembered it. It's interesting how they completely missed what made T2 so good (they did not try to make another T1, they made something new because another T1 would never live up to the first one) and just tried to make another T2 but more and failed spectacularly. Had T3 come out before T2 it wouldn't have been so bad, I think.

The crane scene is also a Fast & Furious 8 ish action scene 15 years early which is cool as hell. The ending of it with dropping the crane down a manhole is such Dom Toretto thing to do lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of hostile AI, I suggest checking out ‘Colossus: The Forbin Project’ (book or movie), they predate Terminator by decades but feature a similar rogue AI taking control of the US nuclear arsenal. The difference is, instead of nuking the world, it attempts to hold the world hostage with the threat of nuclear annihilation, to make humanity worship it as a god.

Cool to see Colossus: The Forbin Project mentioned, I've been trying to get people to watch that for years. It's good.