Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

Can Terminators gently caress, like do they have dicks

In the opening of T2 I'm pretty sure the looks the ladies at the bar give Arnold confirm that they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think Alien still just sells the xenomorph itself the best. It feels dangerous as everloving poo poo in that movie, which is greatly helped by the actors doing an incredible job of being terrified. Veronica Cartwright does terror so well lol. Also people always poo poo on it like "Oh it's obviously just moving like some guy in a suit" but that enhances it for me? The alien in the first movie is also the one that feels like a really weird, inscrutable mirror of humanity. It has our proportions, it has the weird skull face under its dome head, it's freakishly lanky, it's like if bugs had developed into human shape but kept all the remorselessness and single-minded instinctual drives.

Absolutely, there's this one weird scene of about five frames where it looks like the guy in the costume is doing jazz hands, but other than that the original xenomorph design is pretty much perfect and all the attempts to "improve" it for the sequels just gradually brought it closer to a generic bug monster

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dogs of the future resistance were presumably trained to respond to terminators, dogs of pre-terminator era wouldn't be. Though I believe there are scenes where the family dog barks at the terminator in the background as a foreshadowing of the twist, so it's not consistent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Salvation must be one of the movies with the most wasted potential. Everybody always talked about how cool the war segments in the original movies were, thanks to their unique atmosphere and cyberpunk aesthetic... So they shot a movie that takes place in the future war, and made it look like a generic modern military film with generic soldier characters firing generic AR15s in a generic brown wasteland???

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 23, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Patrick in T2 was probably the best at portraying the ruthless efficiency of a robot assassin. Whenever he is within the eyesight of John, he never takes his gaze off him and never stops blasting in his direction, through whatever obstacle there may be, even if there's only a slim chance of hitting him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ngl, the idea of Skynet just sending hordes of terminators to kill people all the time ruins the concept. You short-changed Skynet when she was buying Snickers at the gas station? Terminator on your granddad. You were late with the takeout to the Cyberdyne building? Your mom is terminated. Late on rent? You bet your uncle's on the termination list.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bonzo posted:

If only there was a way to go back and access those records before they were destroyed. Hmmmmmm

Terminator goes back in time, gets progressively more frustrated as everybody he comes across and kills is also a terminator, each on an increasingly more obscure fact finding mission. One was sent to compile a list of Sarah Connors dentist appointments, another is looking into her taxes etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I used to dislike T3 but, these days I'm actually kinda fond of it. It's the last gasp of the old style of movies in the style of the originals, honest action movies with practical effects, shot on location etc. Meanwhile all the other sequels are just confused mess with awful CGI visuals on top that try to look like the popular movie du jour. I suppose the contrast between the solid craftsmanship of T3 (despite the crap script) and the continuing enshittification of the sequels really drove home how much we've lost in cinema in general.

Also, world-building is poison and all the latter sequels try to use world-building as their hook.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 30, 2024