Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toxic Mental posted:

Can Terminators gently caress, like do they have dicks

the only screen canon reference is Dark Fate, where the T-800 drapery salesman "carl" who confirms terminator dicks are cosmetic and his wife Alicia is not interested in sex and loves him for his other qualities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Put a scale on the entrance to the bunker/warren. Guys who are 5'10" and a quarter ton? Suspect.

Have them disrobe and do a spin. Guys who look like they are getting all their macros and 5 hours of weight and cardio training every day? Maybe not eating rats and decades expired corned beef on the run from hunter killers.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Absolutely loving unstoppable killing machines. Nothing* you can do, nowhere you can hide, it will cross both time and space to find you and end you. No time or place is safe once Skynet decides you’re on the target list.

*environmental kills are the only real way in the 80’s and and 90’s.

One of the most Terminator-rear end deaths to happen was actually in TSCC. Spoilers for a decade and a half old TV series.

There's a scene where the heroes are making a fighting retreat from a T-800 and Derek Reese, a hero we've been with for a season and a half, is just caught lacking for a split second at the wrong time, takes one to the dome and with the 'bot not even breaking stride as it pursues the other characters. That's a killer robot, not something that wants to toss you around for a bit like it's some kayfabe for the hayseeds in the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0iNpSpW21Y

Hell here's some heresy even the OG Terminator comes off a bit goofy from the ideal of "no frills, no emotions death robot" fighting Ginger's boyfriend so sloppily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reZW4yrjJFM

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Patrick in T2 was probably the best at portraying the ruthless efficiency of a robot assassin. Whenever he is within the eyesight of John, he never takes his gaze off him and never stops blasting in his direction, through whatever obstacle there may be, even if there's only a slim chance of hitting him.

Hard agree. He's just absolute menace in every frame. I can't find the interview but apparently he trained himself to be able to mag dump his baretta without flinching; something actors didn't always do in the 80's/90's and set him apart from Arnie's OG termie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgibX4BCYBw

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The UTI he gave sarah probably drat near finished off what the killer robot couldnt.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

redshirt posted:

I just LOL that Skynet's choice for an "Infiltrator" model is a 6'3 jacked guy during the apocalypse when people are living on rats.

that's one of many reasons jai courtney was a ridiculous recast of kyle reese. beihn looked like a plausible scrappy resistance fighter, courtney looked like a dude who apparently had a post apocalyptic personal trainer and nutritionist 24/7

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TrashMammal posted:

what was robocop’s beef with the terminator? been wondering what that was about for a few decades now

in the 90s dark horse publishing would get the comics liscencing rights to all sorts of sci fi ips and bash them together like action figures in crossovers to varying qualities from sorta readable to drek, op

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ever since the terminator came out i made sure my number was not listed in the white pages, just in case!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bonzo posted:

Did they ever explain why Skynet just didn't go back to the 1885 Wild West and assassinate the Sarah Conner's great (x4) grand mother?

Yes actually. Pre Judgement day records are spotty. It didn't have a full genealogy to work from.

It had had a name and a city and the infiltrator unit had to work from the phone book.

There was a clever bit in the novelization where the Terminator was doing a necropsy on every victim looking for a surgical pin in each Sarah's leg to confirm the kill because it did have partial medical records. Irony/paradox being it was from an injury sustained in the factory fight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the sequels gently caress it up but it's pretty clean in the canon of the original: skynet was dicking around with experimental time travel and was able to send one (1) terminator as a last ditch desperation play when it's defense grid was smashed by the stupid apes and they were on the final march to the robofuherbunker.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

My headcanon for time travel in Terminator is that there are extremely limited windows where it can send something through time.

Each new timeline WANTS to send soldiers back to the 80s, but that window is occupied by the T1 arrival. So then they pick the next closest (early 90s) for T2 future. When T3 future rolls around they figure out that both the 80s and 90s windows they calculated are somehow inaccessible, so they have to pick an early 00s one.

Eventually, the windows get so close to the Future War era and worthless for effecting a major change* that Skynet has to resort to going back to uncertain pre-80s slots that have a greater shot of also causing greater damage to the timeline.

The T1 T-800 that shows up in Genisys would have been a complete waste for Skynet. All the data it had on finding and killing Sarah Connor was worthless the moment it popped out of the time bubble since Pops and Sarah had been on the run and off the grid for years. Had Pops not shown up, it probably would have wandered America for years just killing every Sarah Connor it found.

I'd add to that what Tallshanks said in the other direction:

Skynet's primary objective isn't "kill John Connor" or "destroy humanity." It's "ensure the survival of Skynet" which it has calculated is best achieved by accomplishing those other objectives.

So sending someone back too far and you're flapping butterfly wings. Sure in theory you could send a terminator back to stomp the first proto-amphibian to crawl out of the ocean and get Conner and all of humanity in one fell swoop; but then you've grandfather paradox'ed yourself right in the CPU.

I guess you could build a terminator that had like a fabrication plant in its chasis that goes to the beach and starts processing silicon to boostrap up a Cambrian Skynet, but it's not really the story they wanted to tell, and again in the original Terminator it as an "oh poo poo" hail mary because the Resistance was bashing down the front door.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Doyist:
It gives the narrative room to breathe and sets up the conflict of the cops not believing the threat.

Watsonioan:
The Terminator was all hosed up from small arms fire and slamming full speed into a concrete wall and he'd have to wade through an unknown number of potentially heavily armed opponents. He withdraws to repair, as we see in the film.

He is single-minded but not stupid and presumably knows its an all-or-nothing mission for skynets existence. He knows they will be in police custody and that waiting a couple hours increases probability of mission success drastically.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm not sure If they ever say, but in the films I think everyone arrives in LA implying limited geographic range.

which is actually funny because given the constant movement of the planet time travel even a couple seconds into the past or future without some kind of serious location compensation would put you in space

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

There was no need for T3. And the premise of it (that Judgement day would happen no matter what) is kinda insulting to the plot of T2. Makes the sacrifices that the Connors/Uncle Bob made seem pretty meaningless.

oh god I'm posting about Terminator canon on a Friday night oo I've wasted my life

Dark Fate was a far better T2 sequel*. It also dumpsters the entirety T2, but it does it in an ambitious, stylish, fangorious and direct way before it even gets to the title card, and then basically makes its own terminator AU to dick around in instead of making GBS threads up the close to perfect closed loop of T1/2.

*this is a low bar

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My favorite part of Genesys was when two healthy 20-somethings, along with cyborg ally who is only cosmetically impacted by the infirmities of age are debating which point well within their lifetimes they should use their time machine to travel forward in time to the exact date of in order to prevent judgement day.

I knew the baby-easy solution to the problem and I was hollerin' it at the screen until an usher dragged me out of the theater so violently I nearly spilled my soda!

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe2Agl3bJAc

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 30, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Apparently we were very close to having an actual actor in the part, but alas

quote:

Prior to Terminator 2, not only had Edward Furlong never acted before, he had no ambitions to become an actor either. That was until he was discovered by casting director Marti Finn at a Boys' Club in Pasadena, California. Several child actors had auditioned for the role of John Connor, but none had felt "streetwise" enough for the part. That led Finn to try and find a non-professional, which she did in Furlong. When she approached him, Furlong gave her the kind of too cool for the room attitude she had been looking for.

To top things off, Furlong's personal story mirrored John Connor's in some notable ways, in that he had grown up without a father and had been separated from his mother. Furlong's casting hit a rocky patch, when his first reading alongside Linda Hamilton went poorly, apparently due to him being intimidated by the veteran actor. James Cameron came close to moving on, but Finn convinced the director to give Furlong another shot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It would be even better if they embraced the infiltration unit nature or Terminators and just cast relative unknown actors who could do the physicality and flat affect laconic stuff well since it's implied there's at as many as 100 other t-800 models.

But I get these are transitional fossils from the superstar era and get made because of the name on the poster.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Good point. It does seem really reactionary and just try to complete every task as quick as possible.

Oh gently caress, someone built Skynet to be a speedrunning tool.

Just when you think you've gotten away from the T-5000 it jams itself into a weird corner and starts alternating crouch and bunny hop until it clips through and kills you from the 5th dimension.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I bet conditions at a machine intelligence run work-camp would be brutal but weird.

Like, you know the deprivation and humiliation you'd expect, and an absolute NIGHTMARE of scientific management KPI goals enforced by summary execution. But randomly on Friday nights the put on a projector "Caddyshack" and fashion a crude pizza from the nutrient bar rations because Skynet's files say it's good for "morale" and this "morale" is a critical component of human productivity.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo
lmao

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it's so 9/11-brained that they basically reverse her character in t2 who absolutely can and does picture judgement day nonstop in her busted mind palace say in the voiceover no, viewer, actually a million times fewer people dying on 9/11 was the real judgement day

so many writers' rooms got hosed up by that poo poo. loving star trek of all things had to put a 9/11 in every movie and tv series for like a decade and half

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mllaneza posted:

The actual best scene would be massive spoilers. Potter's Field

with the 48 hour film festival coming up this weekend, I will meditate on this masterclass in turning budget limitations into p. dece stylistic choices

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mllaneza posted:

TSCC was really good about delivering impactful scenes on very low budgets. This one for example. It's an end of season 1 spoiler, so be advised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWZFkPiFlkE

The best part is it conveys exactly what happened exactly as well and much more memorably that it would a big slickly edited and choreographed set piece gunfight with squibs and pyro ten times the shooting schedule and budget, as evidenced by the fact that were talking about it 15 years later.

Sometimes constraints breed creativity, like "we don't have the budget to shoot and edit the action-packed HRT raid scene that's in the script." I'd be interested in an oral history/commentary on this scene from the production dudes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

redshirt posted:

There's the first Sarah, and the second (implied), there's Sarah's roommate and her awesome boyfriend.
There's the gun store owner.
There's 10-15 LA Cops
Who am I missing?

Sarah's mother (implied)

1-2 switchblade punks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Looking at a list on IMDB:
1? Punk (This must only count the guy who gets his torso punched in. Paxton is merely thrown back and roughed up, memes about him having the EGOT of 80s sci fi deaths notwithstanding)
1 Gun Store Owner
2 Phonebook Sarahs.
2 Matt and Ginger (Pugsley is spared)
3 Tech Noir Patrons
17 Cops (this count is given in T2, onscreen deaths may be a bit shy of this)
1 Sarah's Mother
1? Truck Driver (may have only been incapacitated)

Amusingly the list I'm working from explains that he should NOT be credited with Kyle Reese since the mortal injuries that kill him are from Reese's own bomb.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

yeah absolutely. it had a lot more going on under the hood but at its heart it was just a higher-concept, higher-budget video nasty and you gotta love it for that.

the harryhausen chrome skeleton stop motion has so much loving sinister 80's slasher charm

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It would be fun to take a visit to the parallel reality where The Terminator got a bunch of lower rent lower concept sequels sooner, and instead of a sci-fi blockbuster it's a slasher franchise and he's more like Freddy or Jason.

The personage of Arnie as a rising superstar probably helped shape the direction of things both in terms of script and scope. In that universe maybe they give Henrickson the role. Man I'd love to see his screen test/audition apparently it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sockser posted:

Doesn't the T-1000 in Genisys do this?

Or maybe I'm thinking of the <whatever> in Dark Fate?

Yeah he makes a javelin out of some of his mass.