Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

Wolfie's just fine though.

The T1000 kills Max in the extended cut :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Speaking of the extended cut, it's super weird that the bit where the T1000 unloads on that random janitor between John and itself is cut. It's such a brutal shot that shows this killing machine will shoot through a human that happens to be in the way.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Man with Hat posted:

What, is this extended cut only? I could have sworn I remembered that scene from my VCR viewings as a kid and that was not Extended Cut.

What bad things do you think the extended cut added? I do not like the bits in the end when the T-1000 is losing control, I liked it a lot better with it being completely fine through everything until it drops into the lava (that I know is not lava but I've called it lava since I was 8 and I don't plan to stop now)

Sorry, I mean the bit I was talking about is inexplicably missing from the extended cut.

I'm not a fan of the extended cut in general, but I do actually like seeing the T1000 start to fail. I think it helps explain why it goes loving nuts on Arnie, slowing down its pursuit of John, instead of just leaving him trapped. It's simply not functioning with the same level of ruthless calculation as before.

The scene switching on Arnie's learning mode is also kinda cool if only because it's really interesting how they filmed it.

The extra bits with Dyson, Sarah's dream in the hospital and the Max killing aren't very good - the first two because they gently caress with the pacing and the third because it's just pointless; it's obvious that the T1000 would realise that it has been tricked without needing to confirm the dog's name and kill him for no real reason.

Mr. Merdle posted:

I could have sworn that the scene with the janitor is in the EC.

At first I thought it was just missing from the EC that I saw on TV, but then it was missing from my old DVD too. I have three 4k blu ray of the original cut and no other version now so I can't check to confirm.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 26, 2024

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mr. Merdle posted:

We are talking about the same scene, right? Where the terminators come face to face and Arnold swings John in front of him to shield him from the bullets?

Yeah and the janitor guy gets shot a whole lot

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Turns out I do have the EC as part of the big box set that includes the 4k and 3d blu rays, soundtrack on silver vinyl and a lenticular lithograph thingy. Will have to check it out to solve the mystery of the dead janitor.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm watching terminator right now

Mr Futterman from Gremlins just got blown away.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Future War scenes in this look so good. I miss when films used really sweet miniatures.

What was the last big film that used amazing minis? Lord of the Rings?

Edit: poor Pugsley. Never mentioned again. Probably ate Ginger and her boyfriend to stay alive.

More edit: I want to visit an alternate dimension where Lance Henrikson was the Terminator. Dude is great in everything, even terrible films like Hellraiser 8.

even more edit: lol when Arnie lands on the car outside tech noir he's pulling this weird face and he looks like James from Twin Peaks

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 27, 2024

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but he almost was - James Cameron even did mock-up concept art of Henriksen in the role.
Cameron’s thinking was that the Terminator would be a more effective infiltrator if he could just look like some random dude, but Arnold was such an impressive screen presence (he originally auditioned for Kyle Reese) that he reimagined the Terminator as being this brutal unstoppable tank of an opponent.

Yeah I know, that's what I was referring to. Arnie as Reese would have been terrible, so I'm happy with what we got. Just wish we lived in a timeline where Lance was a huge star because he's awesome.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Update: Confirmed that The Terminator still owns immensely. Ridiculously good film.

I'm probably gonna watch the whole series over the next few days, which I'm sure I will regret.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I just checked both the 'special edition' and the 'extended special edition' that come on the extra regular blu ray with the 4K package and they both have the bit with the mall janitor being shot.

Maybe it was some weird UK edit I had on DVD years ago? We had loads of weird edits in our home releases up until 1999 when the weirdo running the BBFC finally hosed off, like nunchucks being banned from all films. Which made a lot of Bruce Lee films just not get a release, and the bit where Michaelangelo uses sausage links as nunchucks in Turtles 2 had to be cut out.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Robert Patrick is so goddamn good in this. I love how it looks completely effortless when he throws Arnie through the store window. His expression doesn't even slightly change, absolutely no signs of any challenging physical exertion. Same when he breaks into a sprint to chase John as he takes off on his bike.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

I said it before in this thread, but both Patrick and Schwarzenegger played their parts to near-perfection. “You are playing a machine, sent to do a job. No more, no less.” sounds like a fairly hard bar to clear, ironically. No emotion, no signs of exertion, don’t even hint that it’s an actual person playing the part.

It’s gotta be a weirdly high bar to clear for someone to pull off that kind of character at all, let alone so well.

Right? Like I'm sure there's a rig making Arnie('s stunt double?) go through that window but Patrick really looks like he put a tonne of force into throwing this enormous guy without the tiniest hint of this action being difficult. It's like they're over-acting and under-acting at the same time to be these crazy powerful machines that have zero signs of being living creatures beyond their appearance.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I think in some ways Furlong is the weakest member of the cast but that's such a high bar that it's not really an insult. Just watching the scene where he and Arnie bond and high five and he's totally believable as a kid that grew up without a dad that now has Best Dad Ever (as far as a 12 year old boy is concerned).

It's a bit jarring how his voice changes but drat, can't help puberty happening during a long shoot.

Time for the bomb scene!

Edit: well that's still horrifying. Why did my parents let me watch these films when I was 8?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Real MVP of T2 is the ginger kid from Diff'rent Strokes for instinctively lying to a cop and thus saving all of humanity.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s Budnick from Salute Your Shorts, and Ug taught him that trick :colbert:

We never got that show in the UK afaik. Most people here never saw Diff'rent Strokes because it was only on cable/satellite TV which very few people had. But that's where I know Danny Cooksey from. I remember watching the opening credits of T2 and asking my parents if that was the same kid from Diff'rent Strokes.

Edit: drat the T1000 finger wag. Why is it trying to taunt its victim? This is another major reason why I like the bits in the EC showing that it is glitching. It's angry now and, in contrast to the T800 that is learning to love to some degree, the T1000 has learned to hate.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Holy poo poo that was Dean Norris in the SWAT team? I don't think I've watched this since watching Breaking Bad.

LOL "play the hit game from LLM/Acclaim on Nintendo" is in the credits. Nooooope!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

McSpanky posted:

He also did a ton of training to only breathe through his nose while running because of course a robot wouldn't need to gasp for air, from which he eventually got really fit and ran so fast that he had to deliberately back off so he wouldn't catch up to Eddie Furlong's little dirtbike.

That's awesome, never noticed that before.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Watching T3 and I'm already annoyed. This infiltrator robot travelled back in time, arrived IN A CLOTHES SHOP but instead of getting clothes and maybe discretely stealing a nondescript car it walks naked into an intersection and murders a woman in full view of who knows how many cameras then steals her flashy convertible, and almost immediately gets pulled over by the police but it's okay because she can make her boobs big. Except the boob-embigganing also does nothing.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

There is a reason they didn't send her back first.

If I remember correctly she's also very vulnerable to magnets.

Skynet: aha! I've made the most advanced terminator yet, with boob-embiggening technology!

Also Skynet: loving MAGNETS! HOW DO THEY WORK?

Edit: oh hey it's MC Gainey as the bouncer for three seconds!

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 29, 2024

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This crane chase sequence is really, really good though. All-time excellent action set piece, holy poo poo.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Well, T3 wasn't very good.

You know when people say that something is "better than the sum of its parts"? I feel like this the opposite. It has loads of little bits that should be excellent but overall it just doesn't work. Nick Stahl and Clare Danes are good, though I've seen them do better in other things (Stahl in particular was really good in Carnivale, and it's a real shame that he had some major breakdown and vanished around 15 years ago). Kristanna Loken does a decent job, though nobody was ever going to live up to Robert Patrick (and again, I've seen her do better in other stuff, like Burn Notice). I like the idea of John Connor living off the grid and having to rob a vet clinic in the middle of the night after he injures himself because he can't risk going to a hospital and thus ending up in some records Skynet might be able to trace. That makes sense. Skynet going after Connor's lieutenants? Sure, why not. Sarah dying, but managing to cling to life until just after the original judgement day date? That's actually a reasonable way to do a third terminator film when Linda Hamilton doesn't want to be in it. Fine.

The crane chase is loving brilliant. I think it's probably the best extended action sequence in any of the Terminator films, even, that's how much I think it rules. Watching T2 the other day I forgot how short the LA river chase actually is, even though it's extremely exciting. Buuuuut I think this is where they spent most of the budget because holy gently caress so much of this film looks really cheap. Loads of the sets are barely decorated at all and this is really poorly disguised by having only a couple of camera angles focusing on more or less the same spot.

The TX is dumb, and not just because of the utterly stupid intro I mentioned before. It has this super plasma weapon thing built into its arm that it uses a couple of times to do insane amounts of damage but it just kinda throws things around and punches stuff. And the bit where it carries the really bad looking Arnie-dummy like a battering ram and runs through a bunch of walls looks terrible. In fact, a lot of the effects in this film look worse than T2, which came out 12 years earlier. This is especially noticeable in the brief glimpses of the future war stuff, where omg there are like 20 terminators on the screen at the same time except they're all repeating the same animations as each other and it's somehow incredibly boring.

More than anything, T3 just seems to lurch from setpiece to setpiece with tiny, uninteresting bits of exposition in between. Remember in T2 when John had his sudden "we're not going to make it, are we? People, I mean" moment that was surprisingly moving and introspective for a kid that had just had his entire world upended? Instead we deal with John whining about how he never wanted this, and the dumb plot twist of "actually it was your future wife, who is this woman right here that currently hates you because you just destroyed her entire life, that reprogrammed me so I obey her now. Also you die before this happens." And all the while John has to explain the plot of the first two films to Clare Danes, because it has been 12 years since the previous film.

I do love the ending of this film though. I wish the franchise had run with it, because when I first saw this in the cinema my mind was blown. It's like Empire Strikes Back "holy poo poo, the bad guys won?! I need to see what happens next!"
And while Star Wars had a slightly damp fart with Return of the Jedi, Terminator went on to completely poo poo not only its pants, but shat on everything as if Judgement Day featured nukes that spread nuclear poo.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm gonna watch and post about all the terminator films and you can't stop me! unless, you know, I get banned or probated or threadbanned or something in which case I guess you can. But I'm gonna watch Salvation, Genysis and Dark Fate anway! and I'm gonna have a really loving bad time because those films suck!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

see you in like 16 hours. Hope you had a good time

I'm busy for a few days so I won't have time to watch the remaining films straight away. And you know full loving well that i'm going to have a really bad time watching Salvation, Genysis and Dark Fate.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Terminator Salvation follows directly from T3. It even carries over upgraded versions of the T-1 robots (the treaded ones with the miniguns) from T3. Bryce Dallas Howard plays Kate Brewster.

I haven't seen Salvation since it came out in the cinema. I remember the only bit I liked was this tiny snippet of silhouetted humans watching over atrocities.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Terminator and T2 work in the same way that Alien and Aliens work. And none of the sequels do.

Start with a sci-fi horror premise.
Do enough world building that makes us want to know more.
Genuinely menacing sequences of the killer stalking the prey.
Characters we like get killed off.
Protagonist just barely.
Protagonist learns a lesson and is fundamentally changed as a person.
SEQUEL TIME!
Ramp everything up. Multiply the number of baddies*.
Protagonist now has a motherly instinct for child character and turns into a badass momma bear.
More action, more guns, more shooting, more quips.
Protagonist gotta learn to work with things that she hates because of the first film.
Protagonist and child character barely survive.
Protagonist learns a lesson and is fundamentally changed as a person.

*okay so T2 only had one major baddie but factor in the police, the hospital guards etc and I think it counts.

Alien 3 is the only sequel to either franchise that I at least kind of like. It's deeply flawed but it took our protagonist from 2 and put her back into what should have been a horror film. What could possibly be a scarier premise than 'Alien, but now you're trapped with an Alien as well as any number of rapists and murderers, try to get them to cooperate with you because they will all die if they don't but they might just be monsters that don't give a poo poo if they die'?
Except it's largely an action film, like all of the Terminator sequels.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Terminator is a good movie and so is Alien, but their sequels suck, and are are boring

T2 and Aliens are both very good films but both are inferior to the Terminator and Alien respectively.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Sarah Connor Chronicles was pretty good and then got really bad for a while (I think there was a writers strike?) .
Always good to see Garrett Dillahunt in something because that guy rules. And I love Shirley Manson (lead singer of Garbage) but did she have to turn into a urinal?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

mllaneza posted:

I'ma go with no, but it sounded good in the writer's room so they went for it.

The writer's strike is why we got a short first season. The bad stretch was a super experimental psychological study that really, really didn't pay off. It was only 3-4 episodes though so it was back to good by the, undeserved, ending.

I've never re-watched this show but was the 'three dots' storyline only a few episodes? It felt like it went on forever and was really, really dull. The cast was generally awesome though.

I think Fringe came out around the same time, and I still love that show.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I might just be terminally engineer-brained, but I tried to watch fringe and got wayy too many “science is magic” & “I love fkn science” vibes

Fringe has a lot of pseudoscience/tech-mumbo-jumbo bullshit similar to stuff like X-Files but it sorts of gets away with it because (end of season 1 spoilers) there is an alternate universe that is more advanced than ours and certain people have been stealing tech from it

The first season takes a while to find its footing and has a Lost/X-Files kind of mystery that pretty much gets completely abandoned but I thought it was a really entertaining show. John Noble is consistently awesome, Anna Torv plays multiple characters that are all convincingly different and there is also a musical episode that is a) not poo poo b) surprisingly heartwarming and c) involves a main character consuming large amounts of drugs.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I never watched that Terminator tv show. Was it any good?

A lady t-1000 turns into a urinal and a guy pisses into her.

Despite this, it is actually quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

redshirt posted:

RIP in peace to the guy selling guns to a Terminator

Dick Miller was great in everything, even when he's only in one scene (like Terminator and Chopping Mall)