Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
My headcanon for time travel in Terminator is that there are extremely limited windows where it can send something through time.

Each new timeline WANTS to send soldiers back to the 80s, but that window is occupied by the T1 arrival. So then they pick the next closest (early 90s) for T2 future. When T3 future rolls around they figure out that both the 80s and 90s windows they calculated are somehow inaccessible, so they have to pick an early 00s one.

Eventually, the windows get so close to the Future War era and worthless for effecting a major change* that Skynet has to resort to going back to uncertain pre-80s slots that have a greater shot of also causing greater damage to the timeline.

The T1 T-800 that shows up in Genisys would have been a complete waste for Skynet. All the data it had on finding and killing Sarah Connor was worthless the moment it popped out of the time bubble since Pops and Sarah had been on the run and off the grid for years. Had Pops not shown up, it probably would have wandered America for years just killing every Sarah Connor it found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Because T1 events are featured in Genisys and it's been a while since I've seen it, I have some thoughts:

Sending Terminators back to the 70s: Sarah and Pops are off the grid. Sarah's not a college student or a waitress at the start of T1.

Pops and Sarah eliminate the T1 T-800 from the timeline before it can affect anything and allow Cyberdyne to get its hands on any tech. They also remove the 70s T-1000 from the picture, too.

Now, Sarah and Kyle have a plan to jump into the future about 20 years, right? And there's no John being born.

So, despite Sarah no longer being on the grid, the T1 events of the Terminator and Kyle still showing up still occur with the assumption nothing changed from the future they're from.

Do the T2 events occur, too?

Does this mean the T-1000 and T-800 arrive in the 90s and cannot find their targets. There's no Sarah Connor in a mental hospital. There's no John Connor in foster care. No record of either in any way, in fact?

Then jumping to T3: The T3 Arnold and the T-X arrive. Again, to them, Sarah is supposed to already be dead, so she's not an issue. John's only ONE of the targets. Neither T3 Arnold or T-X will find either. In addition, this timeline now being changed because Sarah and Kyle kept the T1 T-800 from being found AND weren't around in T2 to blow up Future Tech research Cyberdyne in the 90s or cause Miles Dyson to die early. Nor was anyone around to melt down T-1000 or T2 Arnold.

Are the T-1000, T-X, T2 Arnold, and T3 Arnold all running around the Genisys 2017 timeline era? Have they been harvested and captured by John's T-3000? Did Pops eliminate them when they arrived?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 25, 2024

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Might have been mentioned, but I seem to recall there was another Terminator Salvation storyline that was deemed so unpopular when it leaked to fan sites in the mid 00s that it forced the studio's hand in doing a major rewrite. I don't think I'm imagining this, either, but it might have been a fake rumor...

Terminator Salvation was going to have a more literal meaning. At some point we were going to have a plot twist at the end of the movie where Connor and other Resistance fighters would discover human survivors living in a Skynet-controlled paradise and being protected by their benevolent AI overlord. I seem to think there was ANOTHER twist to that story, too, that wasn't the Marcus/John switch.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I could have sworn they had initially planned for the "John in High School" storyline to go on a lot longer. Showrunners decided to move away from it when production stopped due to the strikes and came back with a change in direction.

At least that was what I heard at the time. I've not seen the show in years but I recall the HS stuff feels like they were really trying to build it into potentially bigger part of the series.