Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So it might look like I'm a big Alien movie nerd (I am), but deep down inside I'm also a Terminator nerd, and I like to talk about it. This thread chains off of the GBS "Aliens" thread, I figured it made more sense to talk about it in GBS because there's a lot more to Terminator than just the movies, and I think it's fun to explore.

WHAT IS TERMINATOR:
At its core, it's a series of movies about a hyperintelligent artificial intelligence that chooses to wipe out mankind with nuclear force. However, humanity is just a little too hard to defeat, so it resorts to time travel fuckery to seal the deal and eliminate its opponent in the past before it has a chance to materialize in the present (or future. It's complicated). Said artificial intelligence (Skynet) tries to use robot assassins (Terminators) to change the past to assure its survival in the future.

I can only pray you've seen at least the first two Terminator movies by the time you're reading this. If you haven't, drop what you're doing and watch them and then report back.

THE MOVIES:
There are six Terminator movies, of varying degrees of quality. Full disclosure, I like them all and will step up to bat for all of them, for various reasons. I think they all have a lot to offer and can stand on their own merits, even if the first two movies are essentially unimpeachable.

THE TV SHOW:
Oh yes, there's a TV show. It even got two seasons. It made some interesting concessions because of the TV show budget (as well as some interesting licensing fuckery that derailed how things were depicted) but what could have been a total shitshow ended up being quite solid entertainment with interesting usage of time travel, Skynet, and Terminators.

THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE:
There's a lot going on here and has been for decades, including:

THE NOVELS:
There are a lot of Terminator novels. There are novelizations of the movies. There are two novelizations of the first movie alone, in fact - this came about because the publishing company got one dude to write a novelization of 'The Terminator' while James Cameron was sleeping on the couch of his friend Randall Frakes, who he promised would get to write the novelization of 'The Terminator'. So we got two concurrent novelizations of 'The Terminator' as James Cameron tried to quietly stop the publication of one of them in favor of his friend, but it didn't really work so there were two books out there at the same time. It was all very confusing, and both books mostly tell the same story, but I think it's pretty neat that there are two books out at the same time due to James Cameron losing control of his own creation.
Beyond that, there's a trilogy of novels meant to act as a sequel to Terminator 2 (T2) that leads into the future war, there's a trilogy of novels meant to act as a sequel to T2 that just sort of throws more Terminators at John Connor without addressing the future war. there's a pair of novels that chain off of Terminator 3 that talk about the future war but incorporate elements from that movie, and there's a quartet of novels centered around 'Terminator: Salvation' that focuses on the state of the Future War in 2018 and thereabouts.

THE COMICS:
Oh man, are there a lot of comics.
NOW Comics had the license originally, and started out with future war stuff based on the first movie. The second movie hadn't come out yet, so their comics were filled with very off-the-wall (but interesting) ideas like Terminators abducting children and then establishing camps that sort of recreated pre-Judgment Day life but were meant to indoctrinate the children into thinking the Terminators were good guys. Stuff like schools with Terminator teachers and neighborhoods including Terminator police officers, meant to teach the kids that Skynet was good and Terminators weren't a threat. I'm not saying this was a good idea or executed particularly well, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an interesting angle to approach the subject matter, and oh boy did the NOW Comics take a swing at it.
NOW Comics ended up doing a (quite good) comic book covering Kyle Reese going back in time as described in the first movie, and then they did a (VERY good) comic story called "The Burning Earth" that covered the Future War lingering on and the final days of Skynet. It was drawn by (then) comics newcomer Alex Ross and it's very good.

Dark Horse Comics had the license for a good while, and ran a storyline following the events of the first movie where the human Resistance tries to send soldiers back in time to assassinate key humans who would create Skynet, and Skynet sends Terminators to stop them. It actually chains off of a deleted scene from the first movie and it's pretty clever.

Malibu Comics did a pair of comic book storylines chaining off of Terminator 2, one was set in "the present" and followed the events of Terminator 2, and the other was set in the future and showed how John Connor leads the human resistance to defeat Skynet and send Kyle Reese and the Terminator from T2 back in time.

There were also some Terminator 3 comics that similarly covered the Future War from that movie and how the T-X got sent back in time.
But the real crown jewel is the Terminator Salvation comics, which chronicle the Future War following from that movie and onward. The comics are great, and manage to chain off of 'Terminator Salvation' in a satisfying way while tying into the future events established in the first three movies, and leading to a satisfying ending to the war even if it cribs a little bit from The Matrix Revolutions. If you were underwhelmed with 'Terminator Salvation' or are interested in seeing how the war could play out, I very heartily encourage you to check them out.

I'm going to throw in a token mention of the "Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator" comic series only to say avoid it like the plague. I'm an Aliens/Predator expanded universe completionist and apologist and I an telling you that it's dogshit. I own the first two issues and every once in a while the completionist bug in me pokes its head up to say "hey maybe you should buy the other issues" and so I re-read what I've got and I'm reminded that no, I shouldn't buy the rest of it. It's THAT bad.

THE VIDEO GAMES:
There have been Terminator videogames for decades, of varying degrees of quality. Terminator 3 got three, one was real lovely, one was a multiplayer-centric game focused on the Future War that was dead on arrival, and a third literally called "The Redemption" that served as an apology for the first two and had you playing as a Terminator fighting your way through the Future War and some elements of the third movie. It literally had a dedicated button for spouting off Arnold Schwarzenegger quotes.
There were several first person shooters made by Bethesda (yes, that Bethesda) back in the 90s that were quite solid, called "Terminator: 2029", "Terminator: Future Shock", and "Terminator: Skynet". They had you fighting in the Future War against Skynet machines, and they're pretty solid.
More recently, there's "Terminator: Resistance", which feels like a spiritual successor to Future Shock and has you exploring the nuclear wasteland and fighting off Skynet robots. It's quite good, and very much nails the "future war" aesthetic established by the first two Terminator movies.

THE RPG:
There's a Terminator RPG written by the same guy who did the (awesome) Alien movie RPG. It lets you play as a Resistance soldier in the Future War, or travel back in time to fight Terminators in the 80s or in the time period of your choosing. There's a new Terminator 2 expansion that just came out that covers the second movie, as well.
Sidebar, I'm friends with the author of the RPG and got him to sign my copy of the core book, he wrote "gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat" on the inside cover. Mission accomplished.

MERCHANDISE:
Oh man is there a lot of merchandise. Action figures, statues, art prints, prop replicas, all kinds of stuff. I have a lot of it, I've got a small army of endoskeletons by various manufacturers at varying scales.

BONUS STREET CRED:
I was the moderator of the official Terminator3.com forums, back in the day. No seriously. that was me. They were looking for a moderator and I volunteered myself, and they chose me to run the place. I got some neat movie swag for my trouble, and I got the inside peek on some stuff as the movie was being released, otherwise I kept the peace as turbonerds argued about whether the new movie would ruin the franchise or not.

So let's talk about the Terminator franchise! Let's get into stupid debates about timelines and time travel, let's talk about the good and bad movies (they're all good IMHO), let's talk about the stuff outside of the movies. Terminator is cool and has a lot to offer, and I've got lots of ideas about Terminator projects, from crossovers to Future War stuff to anthology time travel series. I can't be the only person here who thinks Terminator is cool, so let's talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's also canon that the Terminator smelled like poo poo.
There was an explanation for that in the first movie, the Terminator’s cloned skin was dying after the damage it took, and the landlord was smelling the rotting flesh. One of the novelizations (the one not written by Cameron’s friend, if I remember right) established that the cloned skin infiltrator design was never meant to be a long-term solution, it was supposed to get the Terminator close to the target and that was it.

Of course the later movies abandoned this, establishing that not only does the cloned skin regenerate, but it even ages in real time. The obvious reason for that was so they could have an aging Arnold come back as an older Terminator in future movies.

ElectricSheep posted:

Fantastic OP! Petition to add in the Terminator ride/show from Universal Studios where Arnie grabs Edward Furlong and they go forward in time to fight the T-1 Million and destroy Skynet or whatever, it's been a while since I saw it

Genuinely forgot it existed, I’ve actually never seen it. I’ve only been to Universal Studios once, and it was so long ago that the T2 3D ride was still under construction at the time.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I like pretty much all the Terminator movies and the show, but Salvation is way more boring than a Terminator movie with Michael Ironside in it should be.

I like Salvation, the “twist” is cool (and completely spoiled by the trailers, naturally). The Harvester attack and subsequent moto-terminator chase is great.

https://youtu.be/1xOPmhQnC3w?si=1NsCWcmOhwNTiiUr

https://youtu.be/HRuLB1phE1Q?si=G0uxmtrn2AqZvJNZ

The fight with the T-800 at the end of the movie is cool too.

https://youtu.be/iFvZwA_G2io?si=mb-HRn8vbTT2XKZP

BiggerBoat posted:

I still think that the only real way to freshen up the Terminator franchise is the simple approach to just making it a period piece and setting poo poo in the old west, WW2, the civil war or some poo poo and play off the "not with these weapons" aspect of T1. It worked out really well for Prey. Dicking around with conflicting timelines and tangled continuity is not only not very interesting, but really hard to pull off without creating more questions than it answers. BttF pulled it off but it's tough.

One of my Terminator dream projects would be a weekly anthology series of period pieces with T-800s sent back in time to different times and places as Skynet takes the shotgun approach to testing their time travel equipment. I’ve just got a bunch of vignettes in my head of “wouldn’t it be cool if…?” visuals that I’d love to see.

- T-800 in the old west getting hit by a steam locomotive with a stick of dynamite in the cow catcher, which explodes

- T-800 marching across No Man’s Land in WWI, getting shredded by machine gun fire

- T-800 in ancient Egypt, the characters defeat it by sealing it in a tomb. Fast-forward 4500 years to 1902 and archaeologists unseal the tomb to find the Terminator, its battery long dead, its cloned skin desiccated and mummified

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The T2 Bio-flesh regenerator playset commercial.

Have hours of fun making robots into naked Arnold Schwarzeneggers.

I never had that toy, but I did manage to grab the Terminator Salvation remake of it, which actually features one of the few clear depictions of what Marcus’ endoskeleton looked like.

https://youtu.be/A1qsQgbJ48A?si=HcwZphWjVCLXS6A6

redshirt posted:

The end of T3 redeems it. And yeah just as an action spectacle that crane chase scene is crazy.

The sheer amount of non-CGI property damage in that scene is bananas.

For those that need a refresher:

https://youtu.be/mBS0wio_JnE?si=heywJOdBFUx1vak5

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

yeah i really liked the ending of T3 and they should have continued the franchise from there. instead it feels like they just kept trying to make a terminator 2 sequel

Well, I mean, they did try - Terminator Salvation is a direct sequel to T3.
If you want more Future War stuff, though, I very heartily recommend reading the “Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle” comics by J Michael Strazynski. It successfully chains off of the ending of Terminator Salvation, loops in the future war plot points from T1-T3 (including John Connor getting killed by the T-850 in 2032), features parallel storylines in the past and future that are written in such a way that they both affect each other without spoiling how either one is going to play out as they unfold, and provides a satisfying ending to the war at the end of it all. It’s very cool.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TrashMammal posted:

what was robocop’s beef with the terminator? been wondering what that was about for a few decades now

In the comics, Skynet gains sentience thanks to Robocop’s brain, so a human goes back in time to assassinate him while Skynet sends some Terminators back in time to protect him.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Would the battery die or would an 800 be smart enough to go into sleep mode like the one in SCC that accidentally went back to the 1930s and just waited? Though 4500 years is a long-rear end time for a battery to last...

I believe T2 establishes that the battery has a hard limit of 120 years.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bonzo posted:

Terminator OST is the best thing about the movie.

And that T2 playset looks rad. I miss when toy companies use to just make poo poo up but still seems like it could be a plot to a Terminator movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FErhk4kSMkI

Credit where it’s due, I’m pretty sure the playset is based on the (:krad:) teaser trailer for T2, which is still one of the best teaser trailers of all time:

https://youtu.be/WqHDPHfZVug?si=QaMU4KUVk2E3HQAK

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Archer666 posted:

Where do Kromium and Cyber-Grip figure in the Terminator lore?

I have both of those figures, and they are cool and good.

I would have convinced the author of the Terminator RPG to include them in some kind of supplement but he is no longer working on that project, so oh well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The first thing I noticed was that the endoskeleton marquee on top of the cabinet is from Terminator 3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McSpanky posted:

I hope Xeno comes back and talks about the Superman vs. Terminator comic, definitely one of the weirder crossovers (I guess Batman would've been pushing it, they already had Batman vs Predator and Batman vs Aliens).
I need to re-read it. I've got it i a "DC vs [everyone]" crossover trade paperback that collects everything like "vs Predator/Aliens/etc".

Lately I've been re-reading the old Dark Horse stuff from the top. It's funny, the first arc sets itself in 1990, but then the second arc retcons it to be 1984 sometime after the first movie because it realized that the first story wrote itself into a corner by setting it after John Connor's birth, and also T2 came out. I'm not saying T2 invalidates it even if it were set in 1990, but keeping pregnant Sarah Connor in the picture makes for a more interesting story (especially when the 4th arc happens).

I'm also replaying Terminator: Resistance (I'm reasonably close to the end), I still like it a lot. It absolutely nails the Future War aesthetic from the first two movies, Terminators are fun to shoot at, it's got a satisfying degree of power creep where you start out nearly helpless against everything but by the end Terminators are a manageable threat, all around it's a real good time. The "twist" is pretty predictable, and I think it plays it a little fast and loose with the time travel, and some of the "choices" you make don't have as good of a payoff as they probably should, but the writing and voice acting is competent and everything looks good.

I actually haven't played the "Annihilation Line" DLC, so I'm looking forward to getting to that next. I already spoiled myself on the certain something that shows up in the DLC that I'm excited about the HK Centurion that I'll talk about in a later post, and the DLC recreates the flashback scene from 'The Terminator' where Kyle Reese blows up the HK Tank and gets in a car with a turret and gets in a shootout with an HK Aerial and his car gets wrecked.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 26, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Well said. His next move is to go back to the hotel room and do that eyeball operation I think and clean up.

He also does surgery on his wrist, which is apparently jacked up.

I (re)completed Terminator: Resistance last night, the final battle does a fantastic job of the humans doing an all-out attack on Skynet and giving you this fantastic power fantasy where you’re just blasting robots all over the place while your buddies are popping off RPGs to down Aerial HKs and you’re being supported by a reprogrammed HK Tank that’s laying down covering fire behind you, all the while the Terminator theme music is building and building in the background as the battle escalates. It rules.

Onward to the DLC.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

More edit: I want to visit an alternate dimension where Lance Henrikson was the Terminator. Dude is great in everything, even terrible films like Hellraiser 8.

I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but he almost was - James Cameron even did mock-up concept art of Henriksen in the role.
Cameron’s thinking was that the Terminator would be a more effective infiltrator if he could just look like some random dude, but Arnold was such an impressive screen presence (he originally auditioned for Kyle Reese) that he reimagined the Terminator as being this brutal unstoppable tank of an opponent.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah I know, that's what I was referring to. Arnie as Reese would have been terrible, so I'm happy with what we got. Just wish we lived in a timeline where Lance was a huge star because he's awesome.

He really is, I got to meet him in person for a showing of ‘Aliens’ and he’s super cool. I got him to sign my Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Does Terminator still have to put that they stole from that sex pest bitch Harlan Ellison in the end credits?

I believe so, and I didn’t know Harlan Ellison was a sex pest, that’s pretty messed up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mllaneza posted:

The idea of time traveling murder robots. Specifically from the short story "Demon with a glass hand".

That and a malevolent AI exterminating all of humanity, from “I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream”.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I posted this in the Aliens thread but I’ll cross-post it here:

Predator vs Terminator story pitch

It follows from the first two Terminator movies as a sort of alternate timeline thing, in two halves. The first half is set in 1984 - the Terminator is tracking Sarah Connor, but a Predator has come to Los Angeles to hunt. His shoulder cannon is damaged early in his hunt, taking it off the table for the rest of the story. He spots the commotion at Tech Noir and his interest is piqued, so he fires a spear at the Terminator… to no effect. This puzzles the Predator, as does its weird thermal signature, so he starts actively hunting it. Confused as to how it keeps shrugging off what should be lethal damage for a human and can seemingly see right through its traps and camouflage, the Predator continues its pursuit. The Terminator, being increasingly sidetracked by the Predator’s attacks, re-prioritizes the Predator as a threat to its mission, and actively engages him - it turns into a knock-down drag-out brawl, but the Predator comes out on top. Satisfied, he claims the Terminator’s endoskull, and leaves.

Part two takes place years later, when the Predator returns to earth for another hunt.
In 2028, in fact. As in, post Judgment Day.
The Predator is a little confused as to why Earth is a nuclear hellscape, but doesn’t get much time to think about it as Skynet detects his ship and shoots it down, leaving the Predator stranded in the ruins of LA. Now being beset on all sides by murderous robots and hostile Resistance fighters, the Predator has to use every trick up his sleeve to stay one step ahead of his pursuers and find a way off the planet. Worth noting is that Skynet might be interested in easy interstellar travel once it figures out that the Predator is from outer space.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Last summer I went to my cottage with some friends and we got rained out so we watched a bunch of movies each night. We realized that every single movie we watched had Dean Norris in it (Starship Troopers, Total Recall, Fist Fight).

Hold on, Dean Norris is in Starship Troopers? :aaa:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

I do love the ending of this film though. I wish the franchise had run with it, because when I first saw this in the cinema my mind was blown. It's like Empire Strikes Back "holy poo poo, the bad guys won?! I need to see what happens next!"
And while Star Wars had a slightly damp fart with Return of the Jedi, Terminator went on to completely poo poo not only its pants, but shat on everything as if Judgement Day featured nukes that spread nuclear poo.

Terminator Salvation follows directly from T3. It even carries over upgraded versions of the T-1 robots (the treaded ones with the miniguns) from T3. Bryce Dallas Howard plays Kate Brewster.

I like all of the Terminator movies, in their own way. T1 and 2 are unimpeachable, but I think all of them bring something interesting to the table and have their own cool action moments.

Zugzwang posted:

The Harvester attack in Salvation was pretty cool.
The harvester attack all the way through the Moto-Terminator chase is one of my favorite action setpieces in the franchise. The otherworldly sound design for the Harvester is fantastic.

The Harvester toy from the Salvation toyline is huge and awesome. It’s scaled properly with the smaller 3.75” characters. I had to pay through the nose to get mine on the secondary market because it barely saw retail release, but I love it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 30, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Technocrat posted:

I really didn't like Dark Fate's conceit of "we defeated skynet and its terminators, but then a *new* supercomputer with the exact same modus operandi appeared, right down to the humanoid robots called terminators."
I think that was sort of a necessary conceit of bringing in a “new” John Connor equivalent who has no knowledge of her apparently apocalyptic destiny, which is a novel way to spin what’s otherwise an aging franchise constant.

The thing I couldn’t quite wrap my head around was Carl’s dedication to Sarah Connor after he killed John as a child, more specifically the nuts and bolts (no pun intended) of his actions. Like okay I guess I can understand an assassin robot developing a conscience after completing its mission and acting to retroactively subvert its creator, that’s a pretty novel idea for the franchise. Likewise, having time travel “orphans” divorced from their originating timeline is a neat idea that hadn’t been explored before. The thing is, how did it know where and when those other Terminators were going to arrive in the “past”? And more specifically, how could it know about the Rev-9, which wasn’t sent by Skynet and didn’t exist when Carl was presumably sent back?

The one thing Genisys foreshadowed right from jump was that you weren’t viewing the “original” timeline from ‘The Terminator’ and that timeline fuckery was afoot: the T-800 endoskeleton designs are subtly but intentionally different from the “classic” model from the prior 4 films. The ones in the future war prologue are different, Pops is different, and the “1984” Arnold is different.
What would have caused this branch/change isn’t explored, and given that John Connor gets mugged in the future war bit right as Kyle goes back in time implies that no other time travelers are sent after him (such as Pops) which either begs the question of where Pops came from, or if it means time travel doesn’t just create branching timelines, but that there’s a system in place for picking your destination timeline - either Pops was sent to the one that we see play out in the movie, which contained whatever Terminator killed Sarah’s parents, the T-1000 in 1984, revised 1984 Arnold, and Skynet John Connor, or Kyle was sent to a timeline with Pops, the other Terminator, 1984 Arnold, and the T-1000 and then Skynet John followed Kyle to that specific timeline (as opposed to, say, the original one seen in ‘The Terminator’).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I get what you're saying, but, who loving cares? Maybe it's time to take the concept and do something new with it instead of rousing the former Governor of California awake with signs of money. Or maybe just make a new idea, hold on, with the same concepts, but new characters

Well that’s what I’m saying, Genisys and Dark Fate did do new things with it, they just kind of end up being half-baked sometimes.
I agree that they’ve pretty well mined Arnold as far as they can go, and the man himself seems to agree and has said he won’t do anymore, but all things considered I didn’t have a problem with his implementation in Genisys or Dark Fate because it did genuinely novel things with him (“what if Cool Dad Terminator from T2 stuck around?” and “what if a Terminator grew a conscience, and what does it do as a time travel orphan after completing its mission?”)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

T2 and Aliens are both very good films but both are inferior to the Terminator and Alien respectively.

I wouldn’t call them inferior, just different in interesting ways. They’re worthy sequels and among some of the best sequels ever made.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Skynet, being a military computer made by Americans, just loving loves guns.

That and when you really get into it, Skynet just isn’t that smart. It had a massive first-strike advantage and then spent the rest of the war developing increasingly impractical ways to hunt down individual humans instead of making, like, nerve gas and just gassing the entire planet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Personifying Skynet was a dumb move. Obviously the first AI humans invent won't be a masterpiece with human like thoughts or desires. It's a poorly optimized human killing machine made by a poorly optimized military to kill humans. That's what's great about that line in the first one - You can't reason with these things. They're just machines programmed to kill humans.

The comics and novels give it a bit more nuance than that which I find interesting - Skynet is a lot more human than it’s willing to admit, full of flaws and problems and self-sabotage. It’s smart in certain ways, but it’s obstinate and limited in its creativity (which is why like all of its front-line troops are iterations on bipedal humanoids, possibly the least efficient way to genocide the human race).
Skynet’s forces can’t be reasoned with, but Skynet itself late in the war in the comics absolutely can be, although by that point a lot of humanity isn’t willing to reason with it for obvious reasons.

What’s interesting is the way the characterization of Skynet’s initial birth has evolved over the years - with T1 and T2 and its ancillary media, Skynet is treated as a scared (but extremely powerful) infant given the keys to the kingdom and the scientific and military personnel that activate Skynet quickly say “oh poo poo, this thing is conceptually scarier than we anticipated, we didn’t think this through” and they try to shut Skynet down and it retaliates in self defense, and once it’s committed to wiping out the humans in its immediate vicinity it decides that humanity as a whole is a threat and goes full Judgment Day.
There’s a really slick fan fiction that was on a Terminator fan site that predated T3 that broke down the initial minutes and hours of Skynet’s activation and the initial failure to rein Skynet in before it launched the nukes, I’ll have to see if I can find it again.

Compare that to T3, where Skynet secretly orchestrated a computer virus that cripples the planet with the hidden objective being that it will be let off the chain to combat the “virus”, only to immediately take control of the nukes and blow up the world when given the chance. T3 Skynet is much more calculating and malicious, and less reactionary than T2 Skynet.

Speaking of hostile AI, I suggest checking out ‘Colossus: The Forbin Project’ (book or movie), they predate Terminator by decades but feature a similar rogue AI taking control of the US nuclear arsenal. The difference is, instead of nuking the world, it attempts to hold the world hostage with the threat of nuclear annihilation, to make humanity worship it as a god.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Young Freud posted:

Say what you can about the Machines in The Matrix, but they at least had the intelligence to use biowarfare to break human resistance after they got them on the ropes. If they can make a biological agent, they can probably cure it, too, so if you want to get cured, just accept the implants and hop into the tube, coppertop.

What’s funny is the old Terminator comic series ‘The Burning Earth’ (which predated T2 by a good while) was set in like 2042 and has Skynet finally getting smart and resorting to dirty nukes and chemical warfare to seal the deal against humanity, and an aging and demoralized John Connor straight up contemplates suicide because he feels that he’s failed humanity as its leader.

It’s a really great comic with fantastic painted art by first-time comic artist Alex Ross. What was interesting was that T2 hadn’t come out yet so no one knew what John Connor looked like, so Ross painted him as a blend of Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton (which makes sense).

I highly recommend reading it if you like Terminator and good art - Dynamite Comics is about to reprint it with a bunch of other Terminator comics, I think their new Kickstarter goes live in a couple days.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

I assume the Model 101 using a foreign accent by default is a deliberate SkyNet decision. “Oh he’s foreign, that’s why he acts weird and is a total jerk.” In the first one the T-800 does imitate Sarah’s mother on the phone well enough to get her to give a location though. It feels like a T-800 could be charming if it chose to be, but it seems too primitive to understand that it would probably allow it to accomplish its goal faster and only uses it as a last resort.

Terminator 2029 AD

Edit: reading the news updates on the site and he sadly seems like a bit of a chud - “Herminator: Woke Fate” :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yep that’s the site.

Shame about him being a chud.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Robert Facepalmer posted:

With Skynet being Cold War nuke control, you figure that it would reason that Russia could have a Skynet equivalent and comrade Blyat-800 would be similar to a T-800. Something that could kill Terminators wouldn't be that unreasonable.

In the comics there totally is a Russian Skynet equivalent called MIR.

Spoiler: Skynet strongarms it into prosecuting the human genocide campaign in Asia. I’d have to re-read the comics or refresh myself on where it gets talked about in the RPG, I know it references MIR.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Rewatching Salvation for the first time probably since it came out. I remember enjoying it but good lord is it ever dumb. Cool action and design, but the script and most of the acting are painful.

It does have some cool sound design though, and that sort of speaks to a theory I've been kicking around about trends in media and music: Techniques are often heavily informed by the toolsets that they're created with, and designers will often find a similar sound palette as what's trendy in music at the time. I should figure out a better way to word that, but basically this movie came out in 2009, right when some particularly growly and aggressive genres of electronic music were being cooked up. The robot sounds in this movie absolutely reek of the same VSTs and production techniques used to produce those kinds of musical sounds (NI Massive, wavetables and granular sampling/synthesis). Another good example of this is the new Reaper sounds in the third Mass Effect games: [i]they sound like dubstep.[/]

In that vein, the Harvester’s sounds in Salvation felt fairly reminiscent of the sounds assigned to the robots in the Transformers movies, especially the second one (which came out the same year as Salvation).

Another similarity between the two, and this speaks to how you said the script is dumb, is that they both were in production at the height of a writer’s strike and their scripts absolutely suffered for it. Salvation’s production was all over the place, with constant reshoots and rewrites (especially the ending, which got rewritten and reshot after the synopsis got leaked online).

I still like the movie though. The Harvester attack through to the moto-Terminator chase is a fantastic setpiece, actually leading into the Future War was refreshing, the practical effects were great, having a hybrid Terminator that doesn’t know he’s a Terminator is a clever twist (even if the trailers spoiled the loving poo poo out of it).
I have 1:6 scale light-up T-700 and T-600 endoskeletons from that movie, they rule.

The trailer (despite spoiling the twist) also had some exceptionally choice use of Nine Inch Nails:

https://youtu.be/dayIedrLq_U?si=BU4_Moj_iqcYYjdF

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

I forgot about that writer's strike. Good point. It was definitely a fun action movie, most anything with Terminators or Aliens in it is at least enough for me to turn off my brain for a couple of hours, but it falls apart at even a little scrutiny. And it's got Christian Bale screaming'method acting' galore.

True about the Transformers sound design connection. That's all granular synthesis, fun stuff.

For those unfamiliar with the originally planned ending of Salvation, John Connor was going to die from getting stabbed by the T-800 endoskeleton, and then Marcus Wright was going to, like, wear his skin and assume his identity as John Connor moving forward. Or at least that was one of the story ideas.

Funnily enough the Terminator Salvation sequel comics toy with the idea a bit. John Connor gets “killed” by the T-850 in 2032 as described in Terminator3, and his brain is put into a Terminator hybrid endoskeleton of the same model as Marcus’s and that’s how he’s able to “survive”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Parkingtigers posted:

This thread got me to watch it again, hadn't seen it for years. It's a little scruffy, but the good kind of old sci-fi that everyone should seek out.

One of the more interesting things is how it got physical computers wrong - the movie assumed that computers (which already took up a ton of space back then) would get bigger as they became more advanced, so the Colossus computer is like the size of a Home Depot because it’s so advanced and powerful. Instead in real life, computers became smaller over time, where now the phone you’re holding in your hands is orders of magnitude more powerful than the big NASA computers used to launch the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Lena Headey was a bad rear end Sarah Connor. I wonder if watching the show for the first time after her role in GoT will change opinions.

She’s also great as the villain in the Karl Urban Judge Dredd movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I never watched that Terminator tv show. Was it any good?

Yes, aside from a very boring subplot halfway through season 2, but it’s worth powering through it to get to the end.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zugzwang posted:

What happens to the guy

Let’s just say he doesn’t need to pee anymore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy poo poo I totally forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They send a Terminator all the way back to try and reason with God to get him to not make man in the first place. It's 90 minutes of a t-800 sitting in the lotus position asking "why" over and again in response to God's answers.

https://youtu.be/XminlVhLma4?si=QKrsE1SObSQGbuC0