Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The T2 Bio-flesh regenerator playset commercial.

Have hours of fun making robots into naked Arnold Schwarzeneggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

OSHA was started by Skynet to eliminate as many hazards as possible

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

The cyberdyne presentation about making the terminators lol

"Vee kun fixx et"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

That's EXACTLY how I feel about every movie after T3: They keep trying to make a T2 sequel.

The Terminator

T2: Judgement Day

T2 2: Judgementer Day

T2 3: John Conner Begins

T2 4: Timecop

T2 5: The Next Generation

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Did they ever explain why Skynet just didn't go back to the 1885 Wild West and assassinate the Sarah Conner's great (x4) grand mother?

Because it might also kill the ancestors of its creators.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Skynet would probably hang around and work on eliminating any other threats to it's existence. Probably either cockroaches eating it's circuts, asteroid strike, or ape uprising.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Speaking of X-Files it took me a while to see Robert Patrick as anyone but the T-1000.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

I just watched that scene on YouTube. He did it to get the dog's collar, then saw that his name was Max. I guess that makes sense; no reason for the T-1000 to bother killing a dog otherwise.

Dogs are to terminators what tribbles are to Klingons.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Good premise for a sitcom. It's T2gether, new episodes weekly on Paramount+

So, did Skynet have to program how to have sex from scratch, or did it find some Cyberdyne employee's secret special project?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

You're all missing the point. They never taught murder bots to gently caress. They taught sex bots how to kill.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Part two takes place years later, when the Predator returns to earth for another hunt.
In 2028, in fact. As in, post Judgment Day.
The Predator is a little confused as to why Earth is a nuclear hellscape, but doesn’t get much time to think about it as Skynet detects his ship and shoots it down, leaving the Predator stranded in the ruins of LA. Now being beset on all sides by murderous robots and hostile Resistance fighters, the Predator has to use every trick up his sleeve to stay one step ahead of his pursuers and find a way off the planet. Worth noting is that Skynet might be interested in easy interstellar travel once it figures out that the Predator is from outer space.

In a post-credit scene, two predators are flying their ship when they get an alert. Subtitles translate the message: evidence of time travel has been detected on a known inhabited world. They are obligated to investigate.

They land on what was once an industrial area of some ruined Earth city. They both exit the ship, armed and quickly entering stealth mode. One seems to detect something and trains his weapon in its direction only to go down from a burst of automatic gunfire shredding it's knee.

The second predator aims it's shoulder cannon only for it to also be taken out by gunfire. We hear the loud thudding of heavy steps, the PoV shifts to the assailant's thermal vision, showing how the predators were such way targets. They get a target lock on the remaining, unarmed predator, and we hear some iconic words:

"Your move, creep."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

So in the T3 script it goes into detail about the time machine: it's called the continuum transporter and works by making a wormhole so presumably that also travels through space to the point you want.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The T2 stuntacular at Universal kicked serious rear end

Really glad I got to see that before it shut down.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If a Terminator film came out this year you could have a Terminator being sent back to present day to kill a 20 year old Kyle Reese

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If Kyle's not the father I want the paternity issue settled on an episode of Jerry Springer.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Having to hide out from a Terminator during the Holocaust has some story potential.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Alright, I got one. Why did the Terminators invent guns that can kill Terminators? When the T-800 is in a 1984 gun shop and asking for a plasma rifle, and in the future war sequences you see all sorts of high tech pew pew.

We know that stuff wasn't invented before Judgement Day. Presumably humans, nearly wiped out in a nuclear war and surviving like rats trying to fight robots and the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust weren't in a position for any weapons R&D programmes. So it had to be the machines deciding to create better weapons, which in turn gave humans weapons they could steal and use to kill machines. If things had stayed at bullets level, the Terminators would have been able to kill humans while being almost indestructible.

We don't get a date for Judgement Day in Terminator, we just know Kyle is from 2029, was born in 2004, and judgement day was sometime before that. Plenty of time for R&D.

But yeah, Skynet should have had a secondary objective of wiping out all weapons that can hurt Terminators and blown up the warehouses the resistance was raiding.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

They really should have made Skynet play all ~quarter million games of Tic-Tac-toe right away.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Good point. It does seem really reactionary and just try to complete every task as quick as possible.

Oh gently caress, someone built Skynet to be a speedrunning tool.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I guess Sarah didn't want to cause a time paradox?

Like... isn't her naming the child John already indicating that she believes in predestination and the future needs to happen?

She could have called her son "Skynet" and really tried to gently caress with things.

Of course, if she didn't want to create paradoxes, T2 doesn't really happen.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I forgot about that writer's strike. Good point. It was definitely a fun action movie, most anything with Terminators or Aliens in it is at least enough for me to turn off my brain for a couple of hours, but it falls apart at even a little scrutiny. And it's got Christian Bale screaming'method acting' galore.

It will never not be surreal that that happened, and on the set of this film, and not some serious drama or period piece.

If it was a bit in a comedy it'd be hilarious.

"You do it one more loving time and I ain't walking on this set if you're still hired. I'm loving serious. You're a nice guy. You're a nice guy, but that don't loving cut it when you're loving around like this on set."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's funny Cersei and Daenerys both plates Sarah Conner

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Well.... why don't you put her in charge??!

Hey, just what you see, pal.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

It's easy to forget now, but back in the day, The Terminator was very much a movie cut from the same cloth as Friday the 13th and Halloween.

Relentless murder monster mows through everyone until "The Last Girl", like all horror movies.

It was T2, and its huge smash summer time box office, that changed the discussion on the series.

Imagine if they had gone a similar route and instead of action movies it was just one Terminator every time and normal humans trying to stop it; trying to bury it in a cave-in, flatten it with a steamroller, rip it apart with magnets, etc.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Cave Men Versus The Terminator

Reminds me of Demolition Man when they call John Spartan a caveman.

New direction for the Terminator franchise: in the utopian future a forgotten Terminator wakes up and they bring Sarah forward in time because nobody has any idea how to fight it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Big Bizness posted:

Presumably the T-1000 obeys the laws of thermodynamics and cannot create additional mass, only reconfigure itself. Maybe it's using some of the liquid metal that's usually reserved for its legs for the additional pair of arms for the helicopter scene.

Conversely, maybe it could have temporarily sacrificed its arms for another set of legs while it chased John Connor instead of sticking to the bipedal humanoid form. I have no idea how you would visualize this without it looking ridiculous.

I always assumed it created either hollow spaces or sacrificed density for volume by becoming sponge-like.