Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Dysgenesis posted:

I've never had anything reeses either. I just think they are not very popular because brits think American chocolate is poo poo.

The chocolate is arse, yes. Reeses stuff is available in the Sainsbury's across the road, but I live in London so I might just be some southern bullshit. Only like, peanut butter cups, and something called a Nutrageous, which is basically a Topic bar that sat in the glove compartment of a Transit van for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

crispix posted:

what we think of new quiz show Winning Combination with funnyman Omid Djalili :)

Apparently Gwyneth Paltrow hates him, which I consider a ringing endorsement of his character.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Williamson tea is sold in Waitrose and is superior to the own brand.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I got two teacakes from M&S for 0.78p the other day, yellow sticker supremacy

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can't you just use a normal oven with a pizza stone or whatever?

You can make perfectly adequate pizza in a home oven, but a real pizza oven operates about 30% hotter than a domestic oven. That extra heat materially affects the finished product.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Butterfly Valley posted:

One of my closest friends died today of monkeypox. I spent every summer of the last 14 years of my life with him in Turkey, chasing good times and connecting with so many people. I had to call his ex-girlfriends and friends to tell them. The fact that so many people are grieving him is testament to a short life incredibly well lived and loved. poo poo sucks.

Jesus, sorry. Did he have any other health issues, or was he unbelievably unlucky?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Starbucks posted:

It gone back to pre sugar tax taste?

I'm betting not. Why they just don't release Ribena Platinum For Non-Poors and double the price I have no idea.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ringo barely tolerates being photographed

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

When we moved in I got my dog this chaise for my study so he can look out the window.

It's got bits of akita and husky in it, by the looks

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Funny, after a horrific gambling addiction and twenty years of smoking I didn't have the energy to form a dependence on alcohol.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bobby Deluxe posted:

im with plusnet they are alright

Same, no issues in 4 years, after regularly praying for the death of British Telecom when I was with them. Helps to live in London I assume,

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Party Boat posted:

finally looked up the flag that the guy over the road has outside his house and it turns out it's the royal standard of Henry IV, used throughout the Tudor era

*Swords Of A Thousand Men plays loudly on Sunday morning*

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
In a fit of madness some thirteen years ago, I married an American, and whilst they are definitely capable of culinary abominations, occasionally they produce a banger: grilled cheese sandwiches are superior to toasties in every way. I will, however, concede that a toastie machine is vital if you want beans in.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oh no computer posted:

Grilled cheese sandwiches may be nicer than toasties, but they're not as nice as cheese on toast/rarebit.

I will concede this point, although for some reason I want rarebit less often.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bobby Deluxe posted:

if you want beans in what

If you've never had a baked bean toastie, brother, you're missing out.

(clarifications: a toastie is made in a sandwich press that seals the edges of the bread together to contain the nuclear hot filling. a grilled cheese sandwich is a cheese sandwich fried in butter. American cheese is good for the things it's good for, but is not what any civilised country recognises as cheese.)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
People still own soup spoons?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
so you fiddle from home

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

big scary monsters posted:

Going to make jacket potatoes tonight, what are everyone's favourite toppings? The classic cheese and beans, the dangerously exotic chili con carne, the seaman's choice with tuna mayo?

My mum always did grated cheddar with chopped ripe tomatoes and a ton of black pepper, very tasty. Crumbling really crispy bacon or those crunchy onions on top is good too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solefald posted:

Went to east London today and it was nice. Did some axe throwing and then played boardgames and ate a burger but because it was Sunday they didn't have wedges or fries to go with the burger and instead just served you roast potatoes with a jug of gravy, phwoar.

We can do some things right here. I hope you wrapped up, it was loving freezing on Vicky Park this morning.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Dell_Zincht posted:

I own a Bain-Marie because I am a bougie twat actually Heston Blumenthal famously uses them and I wanted to make weird food like him

As a London-liver, it's not the bain marie that makes you bougie, it's having the room for a bain marie.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

What's all this talk of Dishoom breakfast? Is it something special? Do they do it in London does anyone know?

You need that bacon naan, buddy, they do it in London.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Failed Imagineer posted:

The food in Zedel is pretty nice tho, and some of the cocktails

The room and ambiance write a check that the food can't cash, every time I've been it's been aggressively fine.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah zedel is not premium-ly priced, so you can't expect amazing things from it. nice enough place for a drink though

All true, it is extremely reasonable considering it's basically on Picadilly Circus.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

fridge corn posted:

Hate drilling through lintel

This is the reason the blind in my kitchen has been in a cupboard for the last four years.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
What tube lines are you all taking where you can even hear a conversation at normal volume? I don't like shouting to be heard by people I actually like, let alone some random stranger. A random stranger, incidentally, who's exponentially more likely to be 'Stuart, who forgot his medication for the last three days' than an apple-cheeked granny who wants to know you're eating properly.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Was he going to split the proceeds, or did he just want a bit of spending money?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I must have missed a lot of advances in Monster Munch technology since I last had a packet, which is probably around the year 'The Last Starfighter' was in the cinema. I only remember sweating meaty crotch flavour and mouth-raping acid flavour. Did they add other exciting flavours banned outside the UK under the Hague Convention?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tai posted:

A huge problem with the NHS is the GP system. Any GP outside of working in a hospital is priviately run in a business sense but funded by public money. They get a set salary and then the practice is given money and set targets they must hit for next years money. Once they hit those targets then they don't give a gently caress and palm off the work and ''refer'' you hospitals. Hospital staff will openly slag off GP's with even the slightest of a nudges from someone. It's funny as gently caress watching their reaction.

I obviate this system by paying a pound a day, since every loving thing on the planet is a subscription these days anyway. If my circumstances were reduced, I'd certainly quit my netflix and amazon subscriptions before my gp service.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Guys, if anyone's curious, Midazolam and Fentanyl are an awesome combination.

My colonoscopy featured this cocktail, I entertained the technicians by briefly singing along to Natalie Imbruglia before mentally checking out

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The only downside was that when they get you to theatre prep and go through the checks like asking what you're having done, they did this AFTER giving me the midazolam. It was challenging to pronounce some stuff

"did he say splenectomy or penectomy? gently caress it, do both to be on the safe side"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ugh. can't get proper okonomiyaki in this small concrete shed floating in a sea of heroin and stabbing. this is the worst

'Cabbage pancakes' sounds like it could be an easy ask in Scotland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Met Office app is the best option (as someone who spends his entire working life outdoors). Meteo Blue is also pretty good.