Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
new thread new danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

Lapsang Souchong

someone told me this tastes like a tea crossed with a peaty whisky is that right

kinda want to give it a go as I like a peaty whisky (not the overpeated tourist stuff though that sucks rear end)

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I'm w**king in York this week

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

What's everyone doing this easter weekend?

might get the barbecue out and make pulled pork

guaranteed to make it rain, soz in advance

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

went to see this new musical called "Hamilton" in Edinburgh, reckon it might be a hit folks!!

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

the barbecue has left the garage, I repeat, the barbecue has left the garage

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

currently 8 hours into a pulled pork cook, shoulda got up earlier

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Jose posted:

seems excessively long you've probably dried it out

its been going 11 hours now and I am extremely hungry

this was a trial run before a party and I've learned a big lesson (start earlier!!)

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Jose posted:

i just do it in a cast iron pot in the oven at 150c and it takes like 5 hours

this was 110c and also I just ran out of gas lol gently caress this its going in the oven

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This was on your BBQ you mentioned earlier?

yes, call it trial and error

thankfully I wasn't catering a party

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

probably lasts longer except I had no idea what I was doing and was probs really inefficient

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

it is done

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

WE ARE NUMBER 1 BABY

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

baby guinness should be Tia Maria not sambuca what the gently caress

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I was in Guatemala backpacking with my then girlfriend and my phone went loving ballistic during the night

ding dong

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

please respect Sans Beanstalk and view all their bangers on YouTube https://m.youtube.com/@sansbeanstalk8820

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

the lovely weather most of the time means that when we hit June/July/August and there's a few days of sunshine plus Euros and Olympics on it'll be heaven on earth

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I'm in Aberdeen, its grey

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Just leaving Aberdeen now i know bozza is there. Currently quite pleasant

I took a picture of the Union Square puddle, what a landmark

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah honestly if I lived in London I wouldn't bother with a car.

On a similar note, could it please not be 1/4 of the cost to drive me and my missus to London (including parking for multiple days, thanks North Ealing tube station!) than to get the train?

my unfortunate counter to this is be careful what you wish for

LNER have started doing a much bigger and aggressive demand led advance booking system which means if you know when you want to travel you can get some real steals if you can be flexible (like Easyjet) but if you leave it until the last minute, or woe betide on the day, you will be paying max price every time

fundamentally we have an issue where people want both and you functionally can't design a system that does both

cheap inter regional rail can only be made possible by not allowing turn up and go passengers on it, and similarly, making turn up and go cheap (ie aimed at metro, s-bahn type arrangements) means making long distance very expensive in nearly all cases

we currently have the worst of both

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

I'm aware that there's a snowballs chance in hell of it happening, but I'd really rather we just subsidised nationalised rail travel (because lord knows we already slip enough bungs to private rail firms)

my point is rather that it is simply *not possible* to have cheap intercity travel without severely restricting it to *only* intercity travel

which will break most of how the UK network is set up (for example Cross Country trains which are used by commuters between the various short hops)

you'd need to totally reform ticketing top to bottom and there would be substantial downsides for a lot of people vs today - classic would be a commuter ticket from somewhere like Reading to London on the fast trains would cease to exist, you would need to book an individual ticket for that leg, or use Crossrail which is designed as a commuter metro

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

I used to be a proponent of state-owned infrastructure serviced by competing providers (same as with ISPs, electricity, etc.) but I've come around to thinking that it may not work with rail and so far as I can divine, the difference is that the operators are competing over what amounts to a very lumpy and discrete schedule of capacity. 5 operators can't run the same train at the same time to compete, nor can they run just 5- or 10-seat trains in off-peak times to then use the rest during peak times. In the discrete to continuum spectrum, rail is way more lumpy in supply than data or electricity and so the whole concept of dynamic pricing provided by multiple competing operators is hamstrung.

e: clearly the solution is for the state to run the trains and the operators to compete on selling individual seats aboard those trains

they can (theoretically) if you look at open access operators like Lumo they work by squeezing their services in between the DfT mandated major train operating company services

the whole thing is bananas the way it's run currently and bringing the operating companies under government control doesn't really solve the root and branch issues, for example the train "rental" via the ROSCOS is the worlds biggest racket

I'd nationalise but devolve it into a bunch of city region based metro services and long distance passenger as discreet functions for planning and operations

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I was complaining about having to check a design schematic for a tram depot at work, light rail shite rail. not a pinch on a proper railway

my mate said I was being tramsphobic

ninja: this actually happened

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

goatface posted:

We really hosed up when we let Facebook consume the small business/community event internet. It was much more usable when everything was a web 1.0 page built by someone's kid.

agreed op

also the rest of the internet

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

tattie, cheese, beans, cheese

also liberal application of some hot sauce

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

weird post imo

more power to you with the solidarity fund

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

just seen an American wearing a beret in the west end of Glasgow

place has gone to the dogs

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Jippa posted:

There's your problem.

I was being paid to be there helpfully

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hi BritGoons

I'm heading out to Manchester for a couple of days in early May.

Plan to check out John Ryland's library and/oe Chetham's Library because I'm a massive nerd and probably the People's Museum because I'm a filthy godless communist and union man.

Anything else I absolutely need to check out?

I've seen 24 Hour Party People countless times and I hear the Hacienda is a row of luxury flats now which is tragicomic.

My only previous experience with the UK is a few days in Edinburgh, which was wonderful if a bit touristy, pre-Covid and a very dull stopover in Stansted a couple years back.

I went to a conference thing here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/jHMG3ZvmoHLdC9Uq5 at the Museum of Science and Industry which was v cool if you like that kind of thing

Rudy's Pizza came highly recommended by a colleague when I was there but never went so can't vouch for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Ratty will return, and usher in a golden age of posting

thats piss op