Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

~SquareSoft!~

The Game

Released for the Super Famicom in 1994, LIVE A LIVE is one of many in the deluge of classic RPGs for the SFC/SNES that never made it out of Japan but was blessed with an excellent fan translation by a dedicated group of fans when emulation was beginning to take off. If you were an avid watcher of Youtube LP videos in the late 00's early 10's, you might have come across this game and were intrigued enough by it to check it out for yourself. LIVE A LIVE is a chapter based RPG with each chapter focusing on a different protagonist in a different time period. In addition to giving the game a wide variety of set pieces and uniquely toned story beats, each chapter takes the opportunity to shake up the core game formula, resulting in a constantly morphing experience that I've yet to really see in any other RPG quite the same way. While LIVE A LIVE is not the most mechanically engaging RPG in terms of its combat, the quirky plot threads, variable mix of game styles and the way these things all come together in the end has resulted in one of the premier cult classics for the SFC/SNES. It's perhaps due to its unique nature and fond recollection by the classic RPG crowd that SquareEnix opted to give it the HD2D treatment popularized by Octopath Traveler in 2022.

The Let's Play

This LP will be primarily focused on the 2022 Remaster of the game, with occasional cuts to the SFC to comment on or demonstrate differences between the two versions that I feel are notable enough. The HD version is a very faithful remake in most regards (which is why I usually call it a Remaster instead), so much we flip between the two versions will depend on which chapter we are doing. For the SFC version, I will be playing using the 2.0 version of the Aeon Genesis Translation Project patch, an extremely high quality fan effort that I actually feel does a better job of translating the game in several areas compared to the official English release. I'll be playing that version on ZSNES for that crunchy mid 2000's emulation feel. For the games as a whole, I'll be going over every notable sidequest and secret as best I can, so you can consider this LP as a completionist effort as well. With all that established,

The Videos

Prehistory Chapter

Part 1, Before Comedy
Part 2, Boy Meets Girl
Part 3, Lost and Found
Part 4, Kings and Monsters

Imperial China Chapter

Part 5, Old Master
Part 6, New Master

Twilight of Edo Japan Chapter

Part 7, Ninja Gaiden
Part 8, Castle Crashers
Part 9, Rising Sun

Wild West Chapter

Part 10, The Town With A Name

Present Day Chapter

Part 11, World Warrior

Near Future Chapter

Part 12, Head Games
Part 13, Praise Steel Titan
Part 14, Corporate Crusaders
Part 15, Go, Steel Titan!

Distant Future Chapter

Part 16, In Space
Bonus Part, Captain Square

Full LP Playlist

If you're a fan of quirky RPGS with non-standard gameplay elements, you may like my LP's of Omori or the decidedly less wholesome Fear & Hunger.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX7keL0y6_w

Part 1, where we start our journey across the ages from the very beginning! The Prehistory chapter is the closest in structure to a standard RPG, but even then we get some of the more unique aspects of LIVE A LIVE on full display. In particular, there are no formal stores and equipment is earned purely through crafting, the battle system is a mix of turn based and action elements with an emphasis on positioning while having all attacks be abilities with no MP system, and rather than random encounters this chapter has invisible enemy sprites wandering the field areas that trigger a fight when you collide with them. This chapter starts pretty slow, but it will pick up in due time.

Extra Notes

-We have two characters to start, Pogo the protagonist and his erstwhile but semi-hostile ape companion Gori. Pogo is very strong, with high HP and physical stats and a good spread of attacks once he gets some levels. Additionally we can kit him out with some really good gear right away and utterly demolish anything we come across. Gori has much more limited options and falls behind pretty quickly due to his almost complete inability to equip anything, but he does pick up a lot more AOE and status based attacks as he levels, several of which will be very important for some secret fights later.

-It's not necessary to play the mini games for resources, but it's a good idea to because it's actually pretty slow and difficult to get the materials for crafting the best items just from battles, and we have a limited time to engage with these mini games. For the SFC mini game, one thing you can do that I didn't demonstrate in the video is remain in the doorway after all the cavemen filter out of the room. The initial caveman will not be able to walk through you to return to the room, so you can talk to him 18 times, move so the cavemen filter in, block the doorway again and talk to whoever gets close, and then catch the final caveman as he enters.

-I went a little overboard on getting materials, for all the worthwhile stuff you only need to play the SFC mini game 13 times as opposed to the 20 I went with. 15 should be more than adequate for the HD version.

-Anything I didn't bother to craft is either just weaker than what I did make or is just not all that useful. If you're interested in seeing some of the items that can be used in battle that I passed on, just let me know.

-One of the more minor things to note is that attack properties are slightly different between the two versions of the game. In particular, Bang Bash is much stronger in SFC while Pow Kick is much weaker. In general, attacks have become weaker in the transition to HD, though some of the crappier moves have been buffed. This doesn't affect Pogo too much, but certain characters are considerably better or considerably worse between the two games, and I'll be sure to note those overt discrepancies.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EeDruEELMk

Part 2 is out! With all our crafting for the chapter done in the previous part, we're all set to advance the plot of this particular story. The establishing scene comes back into play, and we get our very first boss fight!

Extra Notes

-We get our next party member, Beru! Beru is actually crazy strong if you crafted her best gear, the Wildheart Sack in particular is crazy strong and lets her pack a real wallop. The downside is that she is ridiculously fragile compared to Pogo, even with her best armor. All that said, don't get too used to her. Even more tragically, she's unable to participate in the fights where it would be really nice to have her.

-The Fertility Charm is a fantastic item when used in battle, and I'd highly recommend crafting two of them. Its healing is just as good as Beru's, and the stats buffs it gives are amazingly helpful. The only downside is the lengthy charge time, but that is pretty easy to work around. As an added bonus, it's infinite use! Contrary to what you might read online, this item functions the same way in the SFC version, though the buffs it provides are slightly different. As an actual piece of equipment, it's nothing to write home about.

-You can spend a lot of time hunting before advancing the plot, and Pogo will quickly rocket past any mandatory encounter the game throws at you. He's by far one of the strongest protagonists in the game, and he has a decently varied move stats that takes advantage of most of his stats.

-The special interaction for giving Beru the Wildheart Dress in the SFC version is... not quite as coy. We'll see it in the next video.

-If you want to see Beru really mess some stuff up, get her to level 6 in the HD version and level 7 in the SFC version. At those levels, she learns her ultimate attack, which can completely trivialize a certain encounter later on. Sadly, it cannot be used in the difficult optional boss fight of the chapter.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Oh, hey, this game! Seeing this thread in the New LP thread kinda makes me want to do another playthrough.

Going through the game in chronological order feels kinda natural to me; I mean, I try to do something like it whenever I play (only issue is that it's hard to say objectively which of Japan and China happens first).

...Any particular plans for the China chapter, for the record?

As for the demonstration of usable stuff: Yes please.

Oh, and re: enemy variety: This game runs on a scaled encounter table system. ...I feel like just saying that isn't very clear, so to rephrase (more coherently), each encounter has a specific level range required for you to fight it. Fighting nothing but Does and Dogs would be because Pogo was approximately level 1 (or... whatever level he started at); the Bison, on the other hand, are around level 7-8, I think.

Sleep Trick, for the record, is incredibly good. Like, its AOE is 5x5, right? The battle arena is only 7x7, and 1x1 enemies are vanishingly rare. Yes, it is, for most practical purposes, a full-screen attack... that doubles as a disable. I can't even begin to emphasize how valuable that is enough.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I plan on holding a vote for the star pupil of the Imperial China chapter, with the second place winner being the star pupil for the SFC version. Whoever goes unchosen, I'll just do a super cut of anything unique regarding them in the chapter itself. I knew the encounters scaled for the overworld in the Near Future chapter, but I didn't actually know that was the case for Prehistory! I'll be sure to mention that within the LP itself.

I should have the spare materials to craft the items with the usable effects, so I'll be sure to grab some of those in the next part. Sleep Trick is decently consistent, but I never found it to be too necessary to focus on disables for the vast majority of the fights in the game. Raw damage is usually enough, though if it works on the Secret boss of the Prehistory chapter, that might be something to try.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
one thing neat about the game is that Square partnered with manga publisher Shogakukan to have various manga artists employed by the publisher to provide the main character designs for each of the 7 chapters (if you notice, the copyright indicia shows that Shogakukan and the manga artists own part of the game's copyright).

For prehistory the artist that served as the main designer was Yoshinori Kobayashi, who at the time was best known for the manga Obocchama-kun, serialized in CoroCoro Comic (the same magazine known for serializing series such as Doraemon); a gag series about the antics of a snobby rich kid

...a few years after Live A Live came out, Obocchama-kun ended and Kobayashi would switch gears to create the series Neo Gōmanism, a manga infamous for telling a revisionist history of World War II full of denial of Japan's war crimes.

thankfully AFAIK all of the other manga artists involved in the game have much cleaner records than Kobayashi's

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I knew the encounters scaled for the overworld in the Near Future chapter, but I didn't actually know that was the case for Prehistory! I'll be sure to mention that within the LP itself.
To be more precise, the scaling random encounters are a universal mechanic wherever random encounters are actually A Thing; it's just most noticeable in Near Future because each encounter only happens for exactly one level.

For the Japan chapter, you planning to go pacifist or genocide? ...well, actually, I'm guessing you'll probably show both off just so we can see what's different, and keep whichever is more beneficial.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I plan to do pacifist for the HD version and 100 kills for SFC. I've also kept a back up save handy for the very small variation that happens at the end of 100 kills in the HD version, though it's not all that interesting so it was probably unnecessary to do so. To be completely honest, I don't really find one route to be more beneficial than the other since there's not really any reward for 100 kills beyond saying you were able to do it. The absolute best rewards for the chapter can be gotten without too much murder, so I won't be missing out on too much in HD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
LIVE A LIVE is soooo good.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I remember way back in the day I was first made aware of the game by Frankomatic and ChazDragoon doing videos on it. I didn't check it out at the time, but I was aware enough to hear when AGTP released the 2.0 version of their translation. I fired that sucker up and had an absolute blast. I don't know if I'd call it one of the best RPG's of its era, but it's definitely one of the most unique and I'm glad it gets more recognition these days.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD6hn819dls

Part 3 is out! Unfortunately for Pogo and the gang, they quickly run into trouble after being exiled. Sadly Beru's shiny new skill just can't help us in this situation, and we'll have to directly take the fight to the Kuu tribe.

Extra Notes

-Beru's Sing Hurt ability is completely unnecessary to learn and I mostly just got it for demonstrative purposes. While it is pretty much one of the strongest skills in the game, it is only available to use for one serious fight. It does turn said fight into a joke at least.

-Tragically, you cannot fight the Bonus Boss of the chapter with Beru in the party. It is not available to fight until well after she is indisposed.

-You can endlessly fight Kuu warriors in their encampment if you so desire, though the EXP they give quickly dives off a cliff. The fight can be won in a single turn once Pogo knows Big Shout at least.

-The two cavemen in the cavern leading to the Kuu encampment are actually father and son. They are the first in a continuous gag family seen throughout the game, though it is awhile before the clan is named properly.

-I'll be sure to show this off, but the Rock of Rocks can be used as an item in battle, dealing light damage (both in terms of element and numbers, ho ho ho) and inflicting heavy debuffs on whatever it hits.

-An important note for the SFC version, any really valuable accessory you get should be equipped onto the main character of whatever chapter you are playing. I'll elaborate more on this later, but not equipping them to the MC of each chapter will ultimately defeat the point of collecting them. This is not a concern in the HD version, which handles the inventories of each character in every chapter differently.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I pronounce it "live a live" fwiw.

This game has one of my top soundtracks, but I've never actually played it!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Not only will you know when the bonus boss is nearby, but you'll also know when you've found it. It's... kinda unmistakable, for reasons which will become clear when Cullen posts the next update.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

ManSedan posted:

I pronounce it "live a live" fwiw.

This game has one of my top soundtracks, but I've never actually played it!

My only long term goal for this LP is that I pronounce the title in a different way every single time I say it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...Come to think of it, can't you use the Rock of Rocks for something?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CptWedgie posted:

Not only will you know when the bonus boss is nearby, but you'll also know when you've found it. It's... kinda unmistakable, for reasons which will become clear when Cullen posts the next update.

sounds like a step up from how annoying to trace it was in the original, at least

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

CptWedgie posted:

...Come to think of it, can't you use the Rock of Rocks for something?

I'll demonstrate in the next video, but it replicates an Akira skill when used in battle. It's nothing too special, but it is a little interesting.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEWvm6J5OeQ

Only 4 videos, and Pogo's journey has come to an end! The individual chapters of LIVE A LIVE are fairly short, this being one of the longer ones in the game. Don't be surprised if some of these stories only last 1-2 videos. That aside, we gather up all the special accessories in the chapter an forge onward into the Kuu encampment. We also get to hear the major boss theme 3 times, also something to celebrate! Unfortunately, there will be a pause in videos for a week. I put in some extra time today to get this video ready, since I'm going on a vacation starting tomorrow. We'll resume with the Imperial China chapter on April 8th. Fortunately that chapter is about as simple as it gets in LIVE A LIVE, so it's not like I'll be jumping back in at the deep end.

Extra Notes

-There are a couple other things you can use on the Mammoth King in the HD version to try to make the fight more consistent, but they're really not much more viable than spamming Sleep Trick and the Fertility Charm. Scare Face and the Thump Drum can lower his evasion, but not only are these just as likely to miss as Sleep Trick, the debuff can still fail to stick even if they do hit. Even worse, the debuff doesn't even guarantee attacks will go through even if it does stick, and it can wear off after a single attack.

-The Rock of Rocks can reasonably often Leg Bind the Mammoth King to keep him out of direct eruption range, but like every other attack it just misses way too often to be worth going for. Equipping it on Pogo to bolster the chip damage Sleep Trick does is the better option in my opinion.

-Debuffs are way more consistent in SFC, Sleep Trick and Poke Bind work 100% of the time on the Mammoth King. While Sleep Trick doesn't do any damage in this version, I'll gladly take the consistency any day. This does result in the fight being kind of a joke if you just Sleep Trick>Poke Bind>Poke Bind>Sleep Trick, but given how much of a hassle it is to even get into the fight in this version, I think that's fair.

-The Mammoth King is much more threatening in terms of raw damage from his skills in SFC. In exchange for the Fire Field tiles not restoring a quarter of his health, all of his attacks hit about twice as hard. Definitely make sure you have a few large haunches at the ready if the ailment loop is broken.

-The Cola bottle is often mistakenly identified as a one-use item in the SFC version, but thankfully this is not the case. You can use it as much as you like, and it is quite overwhelming in standard encounters. I actually have yet to test it in the final chapter of the HD version to see if it's still overpowered there, so something to check out later in the LP!

-I mention this in the video proper, but make sure all your best accessories are on Pogo before engaging in the final boss fight of the chapter in the SFC version. You will be very sad otherwise. This is not a concern in the HD version, so feel free to Cola Bottle the final boss to death.

-Again, it's kind of funny how a chapter with no dialogue manages to slide in a couple of questionable translation choices.

-Bringing it back to the Rock of Rocks, as we saw in the SFC version it is a way to actually see enemy HP values. There are a few abilities that do this in the SFC version, all of them retooled in HD due to HP being on display at all times for enemies.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The choice to render the Love as Aieeee makes me wonder if the translation team only had a spreadsheet and didn't have access to the visual context of the line, because it's a mistake I can only see happening if it's written as アイ or あい rather than using the kanji. Which, while what you would still use for a caveman saying "love", would be very easy to read as just noises if you don't know when it's used—if you have the actors and programming for multiple vocal tracks in already, having one of them yell "love" into a microphone like a horny caveman is not a huge cost, so I doubt the voice acting would be a factor. Similar with the choice to write O-D-O as Odo, if you just have a list of enemy names and a deadline you might miss that that's one of the Odio.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 29, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I really think Aieeee line was just serendipity. They opted to use the Japanese language track for the Prehistory chapter since it otherwise didn't matter, and this was an unfortunate casualty of that decision. I can just appreciate the comedy of the fact that an otherwise good localization has a couple blunders in an almost wordless chapter. The only other thing I've seen people critique is the prose for the Medieval chapter. Definitely a decision where your mileage may vary on whether it was a good idea or not.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The Prehistory chapter was more of a miss than hit for me when I played for sure, I wasn't lucky enough to get the Coke Bottle either.

I did enjoy the next chapter though, looking forward to it!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The Cola Bottle is profoundly overpowered in all versions, because it is a nigh-guaranteed 999 damage to anything unfortunate enough to be in the line of fire with no drawbacks and no charge time.

In other words, as long as you have it in your inventory you can one-shot almost anything instantly, and the few things you can't will probably go down as soon as you get another turn.

(On the topic of being overpowered: I gave in to temptation and started another run. Somehow managed to get Beru up to level 11.)

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 29, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Actually that's a good point, do any more attacks or anything else unlock if you level up your party to levels you'd never normally reach?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Actually that's a good point, do any more attacks or anything else unlock if you level up your party to levels you'd never normally reach?
In Beru's case, Sing Hurt is the unlock you get for leveling up to levels she'd normally never reach. Finishing the chapter with her at level 2 isn't out of the question since she spends so little time in your party.

More to the point, though, partners tend to learn all their attacks naturally, and a decent (though not universal, as proven by Beru having 3-4 levels, version dependent, between Sing Heal and Sing Hurt) rule of thumb is "if they go a level without learning anything they won't be learning anything new ever and all further levels are only good for stat boosts." Protagonists, meanwhile, tend to learn new skills every level until around level 16, I think, at which point all future levels are, again, purely stat boosts. (That said, Pogo's the only protagonist with any real chance of getting that high in his chapter...)

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

As far as I know, there is no benefit to power leveling the non-protagonist party members in individual chapters. Honestly in the context of Pogo’s chapter, there isn’t much reason to level Beru for Sing Hurt since it can only be used on Odo anyway. And it’s been nerfed into the ground in the HD version.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

CptWedgie posted:

Protagonists, meanwhile, tend to learn new skills every level until around level 16, I think, at which point all future levels are, again, purely stat boosts. (That said, Pogo's the only protagonist with any real chance of getting that high in his chapter...)

Oboromaru has the potential to reach level 16 if you spend time fighting ghosts in the storehouse. If I remember correctly, Akira can get up to level 14 but literally ceases to gain experience at that point, at least in the SFC version. Everyone else either doesn’t gain exp within their chapters, or they have a set maximum potential (Imperial China). That said, levels past 16 don’t contribute all that much, as the game has very low caps. No stat can exceed 99 via leveling, and the max they can reach with equipment is 150.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Oboromaru has the potential to reach level 16 if you spend time fighting ghosts in the storehouse. If I remember correctly, Akira can get up to level 14 but literally ceases to gain experience at that point, at least in the SFC version.
Technically true, but it takes forever. Those ghosts are only like level 6, so you'd probably be spending like 6 levels just grinding out 1 experience at a time (and who has the patience to fight 100 battles for a single level?). Pogo, at least, has the level 12-ish mammoths to grind on, which makes it much more realistic to accomplish before the heat death of the universe.

Also, I think you could hypothetically grind Akira up to 16 using the bathrooms (with the same "1 experience at a time" caveat as Oboromaru's ghosts). ...Can't think of a way to finagle level 16 in China, though.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I did only say there was the potential after all. For what it’s worth, if you’re on a 100 kills run and defeat the bonus bosses, you do end off around level 14. It’d probably take 40 minutes of ghost busting per level, but I’ve come across worse grinds. Definitely not worth going for on a pacifist run, it’d take around 6 hours I imagine.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...Everything okay for you, Cullen? It's been like a week of thread silence.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I mentioned it a couple times, on vacation currently. I’ll be back at my home on Sunday and will likely resume updates same day, the King Fu chapter is one of the less demanding sections of the game.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I mentioned it a couple times, on vacation currently. I’ll be back at my home on Sunday and will likely resume updates same day, the King Fu chapter is one of the less demanding sections of the game.
Right, sorry, now I remember. Wish I could do that more often, really (the remembering, not the vacation).

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

No worries friend, it's a good motivator to know someone cares! I'm eager to resume the LP, the upcoming chapter will have one of the few bits of community participation I can muster for a game like this.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Just giving everyone a heads up regular updates will resume tomorrow! I had planned on making a video today, but I ended up getting sick yesterday and had an hour long flight delay to deal with today, so my energy just isn't there. Ideally I won't be coughing up my lungs when I hit record tomorrow.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smrrLOXPSK8

After a brief delay, part 5 is out! We begin the Imperial China chapter, which is much more story driven. This is a good example of how each chapter mixes up the gameplay a little, as this chapter lacks any kind of store or crafting system, and its main protagonist is incapable of gaining experience. Our plucky pupils are more than capable of growing, but that matters less than you'd think for reasons that will be made apparent next time. We get quite the party in this chapter, with The Earthen Heart Shifu being evasive with tremendous special attack but no further room to grow, Lei/Li Kugo with her incredible speed and decent physical prowess, Yun Jou with his well rounded stats and high special attack, and finally Hong/Sammo Hakka who is an absolute unit of HP and physical prowess but slow charging unique attacks.

Extra Notes

-Most of the equipment you collect will ultimately not matter as it's fairly weak. Be sure to scavenge for as many healing items as possible though, they will be much more important later.

-Something I'd like to praise the fan translation for is its unique idea for distinguishing the different chapters. Each chapter has a unique font in the AGTP translation, keep a close eye on how it looks between each chapter!

-Once you have your pupils, you can go murder tigers for a bit if you'd like to level them up, but this not at all helpful. It's arguably detrimental, as their stats are directly translated onto their enemy versions in the training battles we will be engaging in.

-While it might seem like a good idea to spread the training around, you really want to pick a star pupil and funnel all your training into them, as whoever gets trained the most influences the direction of the plot.

That's not all! I'm holding a poll for who our star pupil will be! The #1 pick will be the star in the HD version, while #2 will get to star in the SFC version. #3 in the poll will have their differences within the Imperial China chapter covered, though we will not see what impact them being the star would have on the rest of the game. (As it is beyond minimal.) Vote at the link below!

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkxx6brwYen58Y5Cq7yxqf3tQmGD4_A6tqq

EDIT: Poll is finished, link is dead. Thanks to all who voted!

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 11, 2024

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I always pick Lei, so I decided to vote for someone else. I couldn't decide which so I just flipped a coin for it and got Yun. Note that this is not a condemnation of Lei or of anyone voting for her; as I said, I always pick her myself, which implies that she's my favorite of the three. I just wanna see what changes for the others.

As to the video, well... you missed a bunch of stuff. If you talk to the bystanders after recruiting Hong, they give you items.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I’ll have to wind back a little bit and check that out, I always get Hong last and speed back to the dojo so I never really thought to explore the market much. Admittedly, I didn’t want to video to run too long so that was also a reason I bolted out of there.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I’ll have to wind back a little bit and check that out, I always get Hong last and speed back to the dojo so I never really thought to explore the market much. Admittedly, I didn’t want to video to run too long so that was also a reason I bolted out of there.
...Come to think of it, it's possible I'm mixing it up with a different event; my memory's never been very good (and quite worryingly, it's been actively getting worse lately- literally "open a tab in my browser and forget why by the time it loads" levels nowadays). Point is, always talk to everyone.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It won’t be too much of a hassle to check, I can just load my back up save and skip cutscenes until I recruit Hong. There’s a couple things I want to double back for in SFC anyway so it’ll bulk up the opening montage.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Poll update! Perhaps unsurprisingly, Lei is absolutely dominating with 70% of the votes. Second place is in favor of Yun currently, at 20% of the votes. Sadly for the big man Hong, he only has 10% of the votes, though with the low number of votes so far he can easily swing back! I'll only be running the poll until about 6 PM CST tomorrow, so if you've been following the thread but haven't voted, let your voice be heard before it's too late.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkxx6brwYen58Y5Cq7yxqf3tQmGD4_A6tqq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
So... what do you plan to do if Yun and Hong tie? Flip a coin like I did?