Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Honestly it'll depend on how I feel in about 12 hours. A coin flip would be the fair thing to do, but I do kind of feel like just giving it to Hong in the event of a tie since he is easily the least popular choice of the 3 pupils for most players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if i remember correctly Hong also get a scene that is vitally important to the game's meta-narrative

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
I went with Lei because boobies I'm a sucker for redeemed bandits. And nothing else. Yes.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I went with Lei because boobies I'm a sucker for redeemed bandits. And nothing else. Yes.
Technically all three candidates are redeemed criminals, though; we've got a mugger, a serial dine-and-dasher (during a famine, just to make his crime worse), and a pickpocket.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Poll has been closed! Perhaps unsurprisingly, Lei absolutely dominated the poll and will be our voice acted starlet for the HD version. Hong and Yun were neck and neck, but Hong managed to pull ahead with one vote just this morning. He will be our pixel crunchy and chonky star in the SFC version. For those who voted for Yun, fear not! We will be seeing his side of the story still, just not what impact he'd have once said story concludes. For those who voted against him, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

I'll be working on getting all the footage for the next part recorded once I do my workout for the evening. I should be able to get the rest of the chapter recorded for tonight, but we'll see if I can manage to render out and upload the video before the night is out.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Can't say I'm surprised Lei won; pretty sure she's the most popular disciple by a wide margin, so basically the only way for the other two to win a vote is for her to not be an option.

Sucks for Yun, though. He really got the short stick this time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think it's the only way to get a female protag so it does make sense.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah, every other protagonist option is either a dude or the robot.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
basically it's a question of which type of kung fu movie you want this to be

Yun is from your more dramatic kung fu movie, all betrayals and hidden motives and 'become who you were born to be.'

Sammo/Hong is from a kung fu comedy, of the kind Jackie Chan made his name bringing to english audiences. he wants no trouble. why do you people keep coming after him, and become subject to more and more devastating pratfall-based martial arts in the process.

Lei is from one of your action movie/Water Margin style movies, where everyone the protagonist beats in a fight immediately joins the party and/or declares themselves the protagonist's brother, because hey, this guy fights good, and if i continue fighting him one day I will fight so good

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I do think it's slightly ironic that as unique as this game is among SNES RPG's, it is one of the bigger sausage fests out of them. Aside from Lei, the only other major female character who actually becomes a party member is Beru, and she is Beru-ly in her chapter. I guess it's a casualty of trying to make each story fit into a distinct archetype.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the video ready tonight cause as it turns out recording the second half of this chapter 3 times in a row takes awhile, even with frame skip for the SFC version. I've got two thirds of the segments I need recorded done, and I'll try my best to get the remaining segment done tomorrow. The video may very well not materialize until Friday since my weekly schedule is pretty crowded.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
What does the game do if two (or all three) disciples tie for first? Does it go to "whoever the Shifu talked to first?"

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I don't think it's possible to get a tie between them due to how it's determined.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Snorb posted:

What does the game do if two (or all three) disciples tie for first? Does it go to "whoever the Shifu talked to first?"
There is a priority system. IIRC it was Hong > Lei > Yun. Hong wins all ties, Lei beats Yun, and you can only get Yun if he wins... well, might've gotten Lei and Yun switched, but I'm pretty confident about Hong.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i vaguely recall it's based on level, and since all three have different starting levels with Sammo starting the highest, following your gut instinct and training all three equally makes him your star pupil by default

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I did briefly consider testing splitting the trainings evenly to see what happens but it'd have been an extra 20 minutes of fight grinding just to find out something that ultimately doesn't matter for a practical playthrough anyway. Whoever ends up being the highest level seems to be to most reasonable explanation, Yun has the lowest level by default so if he isn't given extra attention he will absolutely be behind everyone.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Finally got all the footage and commentary recorded for the rest of the chapter. Having some editing struggles tonight, so I'll have the video done and uploaded tomorrow evening. Sorry for the delay!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
This chapter's main character designer is the manga artist Yoshihide Fujiwara, who's most notable work (and most recent at the time of Live a Live's development) would be as the artist of the manga Kenji (written by Ryuchi Matsuda), a shonen manga serialized in Weekly Shonen Sunday from '88 to '92.

The manga follows Kenji Goh, a teenager who trains himself in martial arts.

Fujiwara is also one of the regular artists to work with manga writer Nanatsuki Kyoichi, on titles such as Jesus, the official Virtua Fighter manga, Yami no Aegis, and BUGS: Summer of Predators

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I can see why the put him on this chapter, he's got the kung fu poses downpat.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr-Y2eJX4pI

Part 6 is finally out, and it is practically a feature length Kung Fu movie! Truthfully I could have probably split this into two videos, but I felt one would have been better for the pacing regardless of how long it ended up being. Videos going forward should hopefully be much shorter. Super satisfied with how this turned out though, and this chapter really hits some emotional highs for the story so I hope you all enjoy it too. Now onto the chapter that will be the biggest pain to edit! yayyyyyyy

Extra Notes

-For training, you only really need to train your preferred pupil at least twice per session. The only exception is Hong, who is the highest level and can still be your star pupil with less than that. That being said, there really is no good reason to train anyone but your preferred pupil. Nothing is gained or unlocked by spreading the training around.

-By and large Lion's Dismissal and Wise Fox's Grace are the only moves you should bother teaching to your pupils. The others are just too weak or unreliable with their secondary effects and all the pupils have their own signature moves they learn that outclass them heavily. I did my best to get as many as possible onto Lei and Hong for flavor, though to my knowledge there is no way for them to learn Unseen Bow's Arrow. In the HD version at least, Yun gets that move at level 9.

-The accessories you pick up from the market are extremely helpful. Each pupil essentially has a set maximum potential, and these accessories are the only way to get any more real power onto them before the final boss. This playthrough is totally not the first time I thought to slow down and actually talk to people there to see if they gave me anything.

-Hopefully you didn't equip anything good onto your non-star pupils! Those items can be lost, though fortunately nothing important is gained before the story diverging point.

-The Indominable Fist fortress is only really tricky if Hong is your star pupil as he joins in very late. It's not super difficult, but be cautious with bigger encounters as the Shifu can be dogpiled if you aren't careful.

-Speaking of Hong, he definitely has the roughest time here as none of the Earthen Heart skills are really all that great in his hands and he doesn't really get any great unique skills within this chapter either. Definitely keep your hands on your healing items for emergencies with him. Appropriate given his gluttony I suppose.

-For the equipment that you can get from the mini boss rush, be sure to equip it on your pupil in the SFC version! It is lost forever otherwise, which is really unfortunate for the armor you get from the sisters.

-It's up to you if you want to use Heavenly Peaks Descent as a finisher or opener, either way is a valid use. Finisher is probably smarter though since you can close out the fight when Ou Di is around 250 HP with all the pupils and spare yourself anymore risk at that point.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there's chapters where the objective marker is extremely welcome, but i can't help but feel it loses something in this one. in the SFC version the dialogue nudging you towards paying respects to your pupils followed by a general loss of direction works really well with the mood, compared to the remake still having the same dialogue but the objective marker explicitly leading you away from the graves

also, lei being the only pupil to get a special scene of being faint after training kinda shows the game being 30 years old with the gender ideas that come with that. you'd think the bandit would have more stamina than the level 1 pickpocket, or maybe that there'd also be extra scenes of hong and yun struggling with speed and strength training respectively, but nope

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

At the very least, Lei is the only one who unambiguously survives the Indomitable Fist attack due to resilience. Yun and Hong completely to mostly survive due to cowardice.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

CullenDaGaDee posted:

-For training, you only really need to train your preferred pupil at least twice per session. The only exception is Hong, who is the highest level and can still be your star pupil with less than that. That being said, there really is no good reason to train anyone but your preferred pupil. Nothing is gained or unlocked by spreading the training around.

-By and large Lion's Dismissal and Wise Fox's Grace are the only moves you should bother teaching to your pupils. The others are just too weak or unreliable with their secondary effects and all the pupils have their own signature moves they learn that outclass them heavily. I did my best to get as many as possible onto Lei and Hong for flavor, though to my knowledge there is no way for them to learn Unseen Bow's Arrow. In the HD version at least, Yun gets that move at level 9.
Technically your Star Pupil is determined by majority. You could technically go with as few as 5 sessions, so long as the other two are 4 and 3; however, as you say, there is no reason to train the other two at all, since the bonuses are wasted.

Teaching as many different moves to your pupil as possible is generally a good idea, if only to cover weaknesses. Don't worry if you can't teach something to one of them, though; they all eventually learn everything by leveling up (and I'm pretty sure this holds true in SFC too).

...and really, Indomitable Fist? Pretty obviously just fancy words for "bloodthirsty maniac" even before they pick a fight with you.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

a cartoon duck posted:

there's chapters where the objective marker is extremely welcome, but i can't help but feel it loses something in this one. in the SFC version the dialogue nudging you towards paying respects to your pupils followed by a general loss of direction works really well with the mood, compared to the remake still having the same dialogue but the objective marker explicitly leading you away from the graves

also, lei being the only pupil to get a special scene of being faint after training kinda shows the game being 30 years old with the gender ideas that come with that. you'd think the bandit would have more stamina than the level 1 pickpocket, or maybe that there'd also be extra scenes of hong and yun struggling with speed and strength training respectively, but nope

I'm going to play devil's advocate here in regards to Lei's stamina. Sure, she was a quick bandit, but I'd say she trained more for quick, short bursts of speed rather than sustained run.

Then again, who's to say you aren't right? :shrug: Only the writers for this scenario know for sure.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

CptWedgie posted:

Teaching as many different moves to your pupil as possible is generally a good idea, if only to cover weaknesses. Don't worry if you can't teach something to one of them, though; they all eventually learn everything by leveling up (and I'm pretty sure this holds true in SFC too).

I would think this but honestly so many of them are just too weak for me to really care about, and the secondary effects go off so rarely (Also for Hong most of them key off of his worst stats). I was kind of surprised comparing and contrasting the HD and SFC version, because while they are very similar on the whole, I've noticed disable moves are much more consistent and useful in the SFC version. Just compare the Mammoth King fights I had. I'm more used to remakes buffing moves with secondary effects to encourage using them, but the HD version has actually made many moves a lot weaker.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjEXjxbJbUA

Part 7 is out! We begin the Twilight of Edo Japan chapter, and in contrast to the extremely straightforward Imperial China Chapter this one has an extreme number of variations on how it can play out. For this LP, we'll be taking a look at the two paths through it that are polar opposites: 0 kills and 100 kills. Most of the video will follow the pacifistic playthrough in the HD version, but there will be cut aways or cut ins to the SFC version where I will be going for a full 100 kill playthrough. I'll fully admit I wasn't quite sure how I'd meld the two playthroughs together, so the commentary on the videos sometimes doesn't fully jive with the implementation I ultimately went with. This should be less of a problem in future videos where the playthroughs start to diverge a lot more heavily and I'll be doing for more proper cuts into the 100 kills playthrough. Apologies if it's a little hard to follow what is going on in the SFC version.

Extra Notes

-For a 0 kills playthrough, it isn't too big a deal if you get into an encounter since you can just choose to flee the battle. That being said, there are some battles that cannot be run from that do result in a kill count, so be sure to save frequently and reload if you get caught in such a battle.

-For a full 100 kills playthrough, there are a number of enemies that you either outright need to spare for a time to get another encounter to happen, or should avoid for a bit until you are strong enough to take them on. This is easily one of the most counter-intuitive aspects of going for 100 kills, the most notable being you can't kill any female NPCs in the castle until a certain point. Literally right at the end of the castle, there is a scene with an NPC that only triggers if you haven't killed any women and it is necessary to kill the person in this scene for all 100 kills.

-The password system can be a bit of a pain in the SFC version since Oboromaru doesn't personally keep track of it, and the way to remember it is a bit out of the way. I'd recommend saving before any password checks just in case you've lost track of what the password actually is. Obviously not an issue in a kills playthrough since you only need to know the password once.

-For the most part there's not really any reason to go for 0 kills or 100 kills aside from the accomplishment. There is a reward for 0 kills but an identical reward can be gotten easily in a kills playthrough and only with some issue in a pacifist playthrough. And there straight up isn't a reward for 100 kills, in either version of the game. The most practical approach to this chapter is just kill anything that gets in your way for EXP and ease. This will get you enough EXP to take on the chapter's bonus bosses organically, and the only real fringe rewards from a pacifist run are what you get for not killing women, which obviously can be gotten no problem in a less-than-100 kills run.

-I neglect to comment too much on it, but the thieves in the residential manor are the first time we've had a guaranteed appearance of the running gag Wantanabe clan. This appearance can easily be the first time you come across them, and it can actually be awhile before you notice this is a running gag since the name gets morphed to fit the setting of the chapter and some of their appearances are optional.

-For the handful of Kobans we will collect throughout the chapter, we will need 4 all together and they all must be used at a specific spot. You will never be able to guess what we are to do with these.

-For the storehouse spirits, they will get you up to level 7 pretty quickly before the EXP they give slows down immensely. You can continue to grind them until level 9 relatively quickly, but I settled for 8 since that's more than enough for the mandatory fights of the chapter. It's pretty much necessary to grind on these guys for a bit in a 0 kills run, since you have extremely limited avenues to power up for the handful of boss fights you must deal with otherwise.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CullenDaGaDee posted:

-I neglect to comment too much on it, but the thieves in the residential manor are the first time we've had a guaranteed appearance of the running gag Wantanabe clan. This appearance can easily be the first time you come across them, and it can actually be awhile before you notice this is a running gag since the name gets morphed to fit the setting of the chapter and some of their appearances are optional.

if i remember correctly, at least in the SFC version this one's also still missable if you kill the samurai in the room below first. if you do the attic chests are already empty and the watanabe duo is nowhere to be found

this chapter's just chockful of little things, it could pretty much pass as its own game

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Of the manga artists to have contributed character designs to the game, Gosho Aoyama is the one most likely familiar to those in the west.

Early in the game's development, he was wrapping up his Weekly Shonen Sunday series Yaiba, about a young samurai boy.

When Yaiba finished, Aoyama would go straight ahead to start making a new series for the magazine, the one people here might recognize (or at least more likely than any other series that'll get brought up in the thread): Detective Conan (or Case Closed as it's called in America)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Was kinda dead to the world yesterday, so I'm only getting to the video now. Anyway...

We start with a preview of the chapter antagonist, unlike the last two where the last boss doesn't make an appearance until you're fighting him. At least they have no qualms about revealing that he's a megalomaniacal warlord.

And no, you can't have a Feudal Japan-themed story without a blatantly-corrupt official getting bribed by a sleazy merchant who "flatters" said official by, essentially, calling him even worse than himself (which, just to show how evil the official is, actually works); it's a bit of a staple of Japanese fiction.

And yes, befitting said fiction, the ninja is, of course, primarily a mage. A majority of his attacks are actually fairly stereotypical "ninja magic" of one sort or another. More sensibly, though, he is also very fast- not as much so as Lei (she's just ridiculous), but still capable of capping Speed in his own chapter.

...I hear there's a minor difference in the "abandon the mission" game over if you save the Watanabe duo first; if you decide to show what happens if you manage to kill those hunters, maybe you could throw that in as a side-bonus.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 16, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

CptWedgie posted:

...I hear there's a minor difference in the "abandon the mission" game over if you save the Watanabe duo first; if you decide to show what happens if you manage to kill those hunters, maybe you could throw that in as a side-bonus.

I'll keep that in mind! Shouldn't be too hard to make a throw away run for that.

I knew Oboromaru's SFC portrait looked familiar to me for some reason, wild to find out it was made by the guy behind Detective Conan.

I apologize for not getting a video out yesterday, it was a scorcher compared to recent weather and my exercise left me completely drained. I've gotten the video and commentary for part 8 recorded, but it's a pretty hefty 2 hours of raw footage to cut down so it's doubtful I'll have the video out tonight. I knew this chapter was going to be a headache to cover, but thankfully the LP should become much simpler going forward. The editing will also be a lot less weird for this one since the playthroughs diverge enough at this point that I can just treat them as completely separate entities now.

EDIT: After some slight editing snafus, I've got the video cut down to a more reasonable size with all the fat cut and it is rendering now. Should be able to upload it in the morning.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 16, 2024

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Ou Di got hit so hard, he got his rear end wrecked in three separate parallel timelines. :v:

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXqQUgMQCCg

Part 8 is out! It's at this point in the Ninja chapter that a 0 Kills and Full Kills playthrough will diverge pretty heavily as we'll want to take different routes into the castle for both purposes. As well, quite a bit of the castle can be ignored on a 0 Kills playthrough. While this adds a huge layer of complexity and variability in how the chapter can play out, it's much simpler from a recording perspective as I can now more easily meld the two playthroughs at the point where they split. We accomplish most of our goals, and are pretty much set to close out the 0 kills playthrough. For the kills playthrough, I'll need to do some work to build up our entourage, as we have some difficult bonus bosses to deal with before finishing our killing spree.

Extra Notes

-You can enter the castle through the moat on a No Kills playthrough, but it's very annoying to avoid the moat ninjas so I wouldn't really recommend it. Also the bonus boss located there can easily ruin your day if you're not careful.

-Infiltration can be made much simpler if you secure all the hook and rope sets. There's not much use for those after the castle traps are disabled though, so don't go back for them if you missed them earlier.

-It's at this point that I feel it's worthwhile to note the SFC version of this chapter is actually quite a bit more difficult. Oboromaru is both more frail and doesn't hit as hard with most of his moves, making the kills playthrough a bit more perilous. Amakusa Shiro Tokisada is of little difficulty in the HD version, but is a much more threatening opponent in SFC. He's also less tedious to deal with as there are far few lost souls to dispatch.

-Ryoma is another good example of why playing pragmatically in this chapter is for the best. He's a huge help, but getting him now prevents a 0 Kills run. It's one of the numerous counter-intuitive aspects of the two major routes you can take through this chapter.

-The Relentless Maid can be pretty good for leveling even in a 0 Kills playthrough. She has a pretty high EXP yield and can survive a significant number of fights before croaking. (It's 16 fights in SFC, but I think it might be slightly less in HD) We'll see her eventually when we need to kill her in SFC, I don't need her in HD because of the Lost Soul grinding I did.

-The man with the Oni mask is another moment where you can permanently lose out on kills and fail the 100 Kill playthrough. Be quick when he appears!

-You can defeat Puppetmaster Gennai without taking out his puppets in the battle, but this will deny you the Mainspring. I've also read the Mainspring has an RNG component to dropping, so be sure to save before the fight. Gennai is easily the least threatening boss in the chapter of either version, so don't worry too much about him.

-Goemon is extremely helpful and is another reason why playing pragmatically is the smart choice. If you let him go and get all the treasure in the castle refilled, you can have a hefty amount of healing for the bonus bosses and have duplicates of the best equipment to make sure everyone in your party is defensively solid.

-Mimic Mammet/O-Robo has two other things to be mindful of besides from falling in pits. One is that he is not waterproof, so taking him into the moat can destroy him in short order. He sinks almost immediately in the HD version, but if you're quick you can get him to help out with the moat bonus boss in SFC. The other thing he needs to be mindful of is Mice. They cause him to freak out and trigger a battle with you, though fortunately he is not destroyed from this. This is mostly a concern in a kills playthrough, none of this will be a factor in 0 kills.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I did only say there was the potential after all. For what it’s worth, if you’re on a 100 kills run and defeat the bonus bosses, you do end off around level 14. It’d probably take 40 minutes of ghost busting per level, but I’ve come across worse grinds. Definitely not worth going for on a pacifist run, it’d take around 6 hours I imagine.

So following up on this, I was doing some grinding to get ready for the bonus bosses in the SFC version, and as it turns out it's a bit more tolerable to do this there. Lost souls give much less experience at lower levels, but the scaling stops them at giving 4 exp per kill, so you ultimately only need to kill 25 of them per level up. Still pretty slow without using frame skip, but getting to 16 is much more doable and probably necessary if you want defeat the bonus bosses without O-Robo. If you have O-Robo though, just get him to the level where he learns Fuma Shuriken and have him spam the hell out of that.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
That pot that wants Koban? Feed it enough (at once?) and it'll teach you attacks. One of those attacks being Oboromaru's (and Mimic Mammet's, if present) ultimate, so it's probably worth doing.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

CptWedgie posted:

That pot that wants Koban? Feed it enough (at once?) and it'll teach you attacks. One of those attacks being Oboromaru's (and Mimic Mammet's, if present) ultimate, so it's probably worth doing.

I did get a comment explaining that, which I do mention in the next video. I'm not sure how practical it is though, even with Goemon's refill there is only about 10 Koban exactly in the castle (IF you're doing kills, and in the SFC version the Koban from the merchants you kill is based on RNG to drop). You can't use it at all in a 0 kills run since you won't have enough Koban to feed it period, and using any on it will lock you out of the Mimic Mammet, while on a pragmatic playthrough you need to be very particular about your routing to make sure you spring Goemon at the right time to get all the chest Koban back. It's not usable in a 100 kill run either since of course you have to kill Goemon and can't get the chest Koban back.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSsVJWxQ8E

Part 9 is out! I'm glad to finally be done with this chapter, it was a headache to cover a lot of the weird bits about it and there's still some stuff I want to double back for. We'll press on for now and I can take care of that when I have some more free time. Regardless, Oboromaru finishes this chapter with two flavors of completionist and some considerable power at his disposal in either case.

Extra Notes

-It is possible to win against Hayate, but it results in a game over anyway. I was kind of rushing to get this video made so I wasn't able to get a winning fight against him in time for this recording. I'll keep the file tucked away for later when I can commit to preparing Oboromaru for the fight.

-Once you recruit Ryoma, you can no longer abandon the mission as he'll always stop you when you attempt to leave.

-Something that slipped my mind to mention in the video, if you kill the 3 guards that MM/O-Robo blows up on before activating him, then MM/O-Robo just disappears from the game entirely and can’t be used at all.

-If you want to fight Majin Ryunosuke in a 0 kills run, you'll absolutely want to do it before you blow up the Mimic Mammet. This means you'll have to fight him without Ryoma, which makes the battle a bit more precarious with less options for drawing his fire. The basic approach to it is still the same though.

-For Lord Iwama, you can come back for him after Ryoma joins you on 0 kills since the Mimic Mammet is less crucial for this fight and in the HD version he sinks in the moat way before you even have a chance of reaching Iwama.

-It's much easier to prepare for these fights in the SFC version as Lost Souls will never give you less than 4 exp per kill while in the HD version their yield drops to 1 around level 11 or so. You can still grind on them, but it is much slower and more annoying, so I can't imagine most wanting to go past level 12 just off the experience they yield. You can battle the Relentless Maid for a better payout, but you can only battle her so many times before you notch a kill.

-As far as I know, killing Yodogimi earlier doesn't really affect anything with her boss fight aside from changing the dialogue slightly when she reveals herself.

-The Medicine Box is the biggest thing you miss out on going for 100 kills, as it is a very powerful accessory. It's one of the big reasons a pragmatic playthrough is better than either extreme, since you can still kill plenty and still get it at the end of the run.

-In the HD version, the background in the credits changes depending on your kill count. The sun immediately gets blotted out by a severe rainstorm if you have 100 kills.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 18, 2024

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah this chapter definitely feels the weirdest in the amount of different triggers and events that can happen. Going for a specific amount of kills is something you can only really do with a guide; 'pragmatist' feels the best where you kill as much as you want and probably spare all the women and recruit Ryoma really early on.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if you do return to win the hayate fight, there's actually a secret bit of gear you missed. in the second attic floor of the main building, falling down a tile in the southeast gets you into a secret room with the item. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQkDXUzEJE&t=2110s
i don't think there's any other secrets left, but who can really know with this chapter

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I’ll be sure to keep it in mind! Once I have some free time I probably will round up the full Genji set and grind a couple more levels. Defeating Hayate mostly is just a matter of hitting him with enough Phantom Butterflies, but his damage is so high without good armor that a single mistake will end the fight.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-axIgqzM9Ig

Part 10 is out! Truthfully, I probably could have split this into two videos but in my head one video seemed just right for such a short chapter. It would have been mostly cutscenes for the first video if I had split it, so maybe this is for the best. Anyway, it's the Wild West chapter, one that is light on combat and revolves around a gimmick of making the final battle as hard as you want it to be. Or if you were like me as a dumb teenager, you could fail to realize you could even set traps and do the most difficult final boss as a matter of course. Thankfully, the HD version makes this much less likely to happen with its signposting, though it does fail to indicate that setting repeat traps is a waste of time.

Extra Notes

Actually there's not really much to say about this chapter that wasn't covered in the video. It's about as straightforward as it gets. There's a number of variations for the final battle depending on how many traps you set, though this has little bearing on anything but the battle itself. About the only notable thing is that the HD version is both harder and easier if you eschew traps. Harder because most of your moves are nerfed while Dio has a more generous range for his Gatling Gun attack, and easier because the healing items don't debuff you anymore with drunkeness and Texas Jitterbug is a hell of a lot stronger for Mad Dog. (Interesting, because most multi-hit moves like all of Sundown's got heavily nerfed in the HD version) There's a lot more to say about the next chapter even though it's even shorter, funnily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hm, unless there's more evidence in the game that we haven't seen yet, it's hard to say whether this chapter takes place before the Edo chapter or after, chronologically. These periods of history had overlap.