Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah this chapter definitely feels the weirdest in the amount of different triggers and events that can happen. Going for a specific amount of kills is something you can only really do with a guide; 'pragmatist' feels the best where you kill as much as you want and probably spare all the women and recruit Ryoma really early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FeyerbrandX posted:

I feel that the speech in this is far less grating than FFXII/WotL forced Olde Englishe Bloat. Maybe like you said it's in poetic meter or whatever rather than Arbitraree mispelling and placking ks after every ck.

Other than magicks and technicks (themselves valid antiquated spellings) I can't think of anything that FF12 'misspells' rather than deifacted and manufacted, which seems like an intentional choice to highlight something man-made vs god-made.

In general I don't see an issue with any of the way the characters are speaking. Seems pretty normal to me.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think I fought a lot of knights before heading back into Archon's Roost, those new enemies really are rough.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's implied more than said but I think there is the clear indication that Streibough and Alethea were in a pre-existing relationship.

That pretty much colours the relationship - Oersted and Streibough were best friends and friendly rivals where Oersted almost always came out on top. Streibough begged Oersted to throw the Champion's competition so that he could marry his love; Oersted clearly rejected the idea.

Alethea's initial reluctance to be with Oersted is clear, before basically shrugging and making the best of the situation - he is the stronger and more traditionally heroic guy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't think there's any kind of possession going on. There's clearly something odd about Archon's Roost as a location and its ability to empower a 'Lord of Dark', but becoming the Lord of Dark is a choice you make. Streibough made it for love, and Oersted did it after everyone else losing their faith in him.

I don't see any reason to disbelieve any character about what they're saying or their motivation. Oersted is a hero, a designated 'winner' in everything he does, and that follows through even to the ending where he finally gets lines - he did everything right and he's the strongest, so why did he lose?
Streibough is the followup to that - how do you feel when you're always second-best to your best friend? Even when he steals your girl?

I think given how much the line is flashed back to (and yeah, Alethea doesn't exactly get a lot of lines) Althea's VA does a good job of communicating the hesitance in her "there's nobody I hold higher in my heart" line, as well as the "a fine match, good job champion" line immediately when Oersted first beats Streibough. The winner wasn't who she wanted it to be, but it was a fair fight.

(or was it, when we remember that Oersted's first opponent kept trying to use wolfsbane to poison him? Well, now we'll never know - that's all the clues we're going to end up getting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sundown can be worth maining in the chapter just so you don't have to go through the crap of recruiting him.

He's not great but he's not a drag on the party at least.