Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CptWedgie posted:

Not only will you know when the bonus boss is nearby, but you'll also know when you've found it. It's... kinda unmistakable, for reasons which will become clear when Cullen posts the next update.

sounds like a step up from how annoying to trace it was in the original, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if i remember correctly Hong also get a scene that is vitally important to the game's meta-narrative

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i vaguely recall it's based on level, and since all three have different starting levels with Sammo starting the highest, following your gut instinct and training all three equally makes him your star pupil by default

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there's chapters where the objective marker is extremely welcome, but i can't help but feel it loses something in this one. in the SFC version the dialogue nudging you towards paying respects to your pupils followed by a general loss of direction works really well with the mood, compared to the remake still having the same dialogue but the objective marker explicitly leading you away from the graves

also, lei being the only pupil to get a special scene of being faint after training kinda shows the game being 30 years old with the gender ideas that come with that. you'd think the bandit would have more stamina than the level 1 pickpocket, or maybe that there'd also be extra scenes of hong and yun struggling with speed and strength training respectively, but nope

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CullenDaGaDee posted:

-I neglect to comment too much on it, but the thieves in the residential manor are the first time we've had a guaranteed appearance of the running gag Wantanabe clan. This appearance can easily be the first time you come across them, and it can actually be awhile before you notice this is a running gag since the name gets morphed to fit the setting of the chapter and some of their appearances are optional.

if i remember correctly, at least in the SFC version this one's also still missable if you kill the samurai in the room below first. if you do the attic chests are already empty and the watanabe duo is nowhere to be found

this chapter's just chockful of little things, it could pretty much pass as its own game

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if you do return to win the hayate fight, there's actually a secret bit of gear you missed. in the second attic floor of the main building, falling down a tile in the southeast gets you into a secret room with the item. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQkDXUzEJE&t=2110s
i don't think there's any other secrets left, but who can really know with this chapter

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Like Clockwork posted:

Adventure games can be and often are horror; the Phantasmagoria series comes to mind immediately as an example most people will know.

This is a case of game genre name often being disconnected from actual themes, where in this case it purely indicates gameplay style vs how in other media it would reflect the thematics of the writing.

the "survival" part of survival horror has pretty specific gameplay connotations, but it's also not the only type of horror in video games. rpgmaker horror games were a pretty big thing in japan for a while with games like ao oni, mad father or witch's house, so declaring this chapter horror as a game genre isn't that far-fetched

also man they kinda ruined the lightning title stage in captain square. used to be the tile-shaped enemies and the lightning floor tiles had the same graphic, so half the puzzle was keeping track of enemy positions, and once the arena was covered in damage tiles enemies moving around made for a neat visual effect that made you constantly second-guess yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

honestly i'm pretty torn on the waymarkers in this chapter. on the one hand event-flag-hunting in the second act when the dying starts was pretty annoying, and it took me so long to look back into the medbay i forgot Kirk was meant to be there and i had no idea why the spooky theme started playing, on the other hand i found the sense of helplessness when it's just down to two survivors pretty effective and that's completely lost with the game telling you "please entire the designated jump scare spot for progression". on the third freak hand the game pointing you to every progression point only to withhold that information at the lowest point is pretty neat

the final boss actually has a front-facing and back-facing sprite like any other character and enemy in the game, only to see its backside you have to use HP Lookup, which you're obviously less incentivised to do in a version with HP bars freely visible. kind of a shame since the backside is pretty interesting