Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It has, you just need to Moria them first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Looks like one of these games I would really like to know how to play but I'm way too stupid.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If you set it to easy mode (and perhaps remove the time limit too) you can coast along on stealthy plague and madness and infiltration shadow spread and mostly play reactively and just giggle when your agents die, they are pawns you don't need to care for.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

This fantasy world needs dwarves

The D in DLC stands for Dwarves. (They are in the underworld layer.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AtomikKrab posted:

Orcs got a buff with the dlc, you can expand underground with them if you can get the money together, and once underground theres... really nothing in your way to just flop out an entire continent spanning orc civilization that you can unleash later.

I don't have the DLC, but I like using orcs as a hate sink. Get a warlord, get him an ogre or two, go wreak some havoc so everyone hates him, let the forces of good hunt and kill him. Not only distracts them, it lowers the heat on all your other agents when the orc dies because the good guys think they killed the bad guy.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

SIGSEGV posted:

It has, you just need to Moria them first.

I'm guessing there is an evil power to make them dig too deep and too greedly?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I don't have the DLC, but I like using orcs as a hate sink. Get a warlord, get him an ogre or two, go wreak some havoc so everyone hates him, let the forces of good hunt and kill him. Not only distracts them, it lowers the heat on all your other agents when the orc dies because the good guys think they killed the bad guy.

That fuckin rules as a game mechanic, this sounds great

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Fajita Queen posted:

That fuckin rules as a game mechanic, this sounds great

It's even better with Ophanim. Later on, we can declare that an Orc (or any agent who is infamous really) is a heretic to do everything above and also remove Awareness and Doubt.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cythereal posted:

Oh yes, I do this often, heck with the underground stuff if you get a warlord down there you can go ham, grab the free ogres that live in the underground while building your empire beneath, when the heros come for him, start slaughtering so you eventually get a conga line to him before he goes down and frees up your slot.

Meanwhile your other heros are giving everyone else a case of the deep ones.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The DLC has dwarves I think.

e:fb

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Kanthulhu posted:

I want to see a quick and dirty strat with a lot of problems instead of a slow and safe start. So:
Gfen, Duality.

I agree.

Gfen Duality

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kaiju15 posted:

The D in DLC stands for Dwarves. (They are in the underworld layer.)

Dwarfloadable Content

I dig it

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Put this on my wish list when it came out, but been unable to buy it because reasons. Are the orcs automatically your minions or somesuch?

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

Put this on my wish list when it came out, but been unable to buy it because reasons. Are the orcs automatically your minions or somesuch?

Orcs start out as enemies of Humanity, but not necessarily allies of the Elder God. If left to their own devices, they'll typically pick little fights with their neighbors until they appear too threatening and then get stomped.

They can be infiltrated and enshadowed like any other faction, but you get a lot more control over them.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Put me down for a Gfen/Inquisitor vote!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

To make any real use out of the Orcs, you need to recruit a Warlord agent and use him to take over orc hordes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I got inspired to play some more because of the lp, just finished with Iastur, I went fully political and used mortal means primarily to have humans do my dirtiest of work in spreading madness amongst themselves, I also forgot that his end game is stupidly good at just causing madness everywhere forever and a day.

I also used the new dlc agents to get rid of the elves for me.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

I also used the new dlc agents to get rid of the elves for me.

See? Just because all the haters say we're "an unnatural unspeakable terror from beyond all sapient thought bound and determined to cause the ending of everything" doesn't mean we can't do some good along the way!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cythereal posted:

yeah cranking command on your warlord is the way to go

even if you don't have a strong military position for the orcs (such as, for example, if the massive empire on the eastern continent slaughtered the lot), he can still screw around sacking villages and causing famines, and then probably kill the first hero or two that comes for him

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Goatse James Bond posted:

yeah cranking command on your warlord is the way to go

even if you don't have a strong military position for the orcs (such as, for example, if the massive empire on the eastern continent slaughtered the lot), he can still screw around sacking villages and causing famines, and then probably kill the first hero or two that comes for him

Yes, the human empires will squash orcs if you try to solo them, they need to be distracted and infighting first, THEN you can call the hordes.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Looks like we're going to conquer Gfen and have our Supplicant become an Inquisitor. Hoping to have an update through to the first broken seal up on Wednesday.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

The Slow Road to Seal 1 (Turns 1 - 34)

Gfen won the vote, so The Supplicant is going on a long journey.

We're gonna be hitting End Turn for a while, but don't worry. We have plenty of time to conquer the world and the game will pick up significantly after we get a few more agents.

During our journey, some other religions started beefing over turf.

And Beng learned that we exist.

Apparently he either didn't know he was the Chosen One or didn't know what he was chosen to do. Either way, he's just sitting in Feng training while our tomb slowly spreads Shadow into its surroundings.

Finally, on turn 11, we make landfall in The City of Xinjianm. Now that we're finally in Gfen, we can get to work infiltrating...

This game can be pretty slow, but 38 turns is just too much. We're gonna need a better plan of attack.

Let's start with Ayue Citadel instead.

Ayue has lower security, so we should be able to infiltrate in half the time... but we can do better.

Ophanim's power, Sleepless Labor, allows us to get 20 points of progress towards an agent's task at the expense of 2 hitpoints. That's more than a quarter of what we need to fully infiltrate Ayue, so let's do that.

Now we only have to wait 14 turns to fully infiltrate the location.

While we're waiting for that to finish, a random event fires.

In this case, we can trade some challenge progress for some location Shadow or some gold.
I'm gonna go for the gold. It's a slightly slower start, but we're gonna need that gold later.

We also ran into some gossipy old ladies who forced us to choose between raising our profile (by ignoring them), raising our menace (by murdering them), and giving up the challenge. I'll let them live for now since it doesn't matter who can see us at the moment.

Meanwhile, Beng goes off to fight some bandits and Danjiao declares war on those pathetic Orcs near our tomb.

Speaking of tomb... How's our Shadow doing?

Danjiao is at 10% and it's starting to spread to Elven lands. That's not a ton, but it didn't require any effort on our part.

Unfortunately a couple turns later, someone drove it back again. Oh well. While they were wasting their time over there, we got a brand new, fully-infiltrated fortress!

What does this get us? We have a few interesting new options

But more importantly it reduced the security of every neighboring location by 1, so all five of its neighbors just got easier to infiltrate.

The Supplicant also levelled up which healed all the damage done by Sleepless Labor, and let us give them another point in Intrigue so that they can infiltrate even faster.

Next stop is Liao Village which should only take 10 turns and make it easier to infiltrate both Xinjianm and Ping.

While we infiltrate Liao, an Elven baroness decides to sabotage an Elven mage, presumably because she stole her haircut.

Or maybe it's because she's a generous, cruel, self-hating Elf... Weird!

After a few more turns, we break the first seal!

This gives us more maximum power, another agent slot and two new powers. Peace and Order won't be of any use to us since we aren't spreading faith yet, and Swift of Foot is an ability that literally lets us get more mileage out of our agents.

The next big question is who do we want to recruit for our second agent? We'll want to focus on candidates that can work to weaken that massive Kingdom of Nghuai. I've got a few in mind, but I'm going to leave exactly which one up to you folks.

The Dissident has good Intrigue and Command stats and specializes in starting civil wars. It looks like there's already some unrest brewing in Nghuai, and the Dissident can make local heroes and rulers waste even more time getting that under control. If they don't, the masses will execute the rulers and start a civil war.

The Courtier also has strong Intrigue and Command stats, but his specialties are a bit more subtle. He can steal a personal item from a hero or ruler and then plant it in such a way that it causes another hero or ruler to gain a disliking for them. This means we have the potential get the rulers of cities in Nghuai to start disliking eachother and potentially even dislike Beng, himself.

The Warlock is a generic agent that specializes in Lore. The Warlock has easy access to spellcasting abilities, but more importantly for our purposes, the lore stat can be used to create and spread a plague. Not only would a conveniently placed plague kill a lot of people, but the rulers and heroes of Nghuai will be forced to waste a lot of time curing victims and establishing quarantines.

Let me know by Sunday night what agent we should go with.

Kaiju15 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 4, 2024

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Courtier seems more our style. Let the nobles of the realm start fighting each other.

A disloyal duke can do much more damage than some uppity peasants

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Dissident, fight the power!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Courtier looks like an old-timey politician, which is clearly the best reason to choose him.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Let's use the Courtier for now. He's great here in the early game when we want to be sneakily infiltrating places.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The Courtier, as setting the opponents against each other seems like a good idea. A divided enemy is easier to overcome.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm going with the Dissident. Nothing like a good old fashioned peasant's revolt to distract the nobility from our dastardly deeds.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
The courtier sounds like the most interesting option.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Courtier is the best choice this early in the game and with this god.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Courtier, definitely. Will we get the chance later to pick the agents we did not this time?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Courtier, let the chosen one struggle to have anyone take him seriously while we just continue being a perfectly normal and good religion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One question: I just got the game, how do I find out who the Chosen One is?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
This:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

One question: I just got the game, how do I find out who the Chosen One is?

If you deselect any agent, army or point of interest by clicking the map on a non PoI area, the right hand bar will list a number of threats and opportunities, the Chosen One is always displayed there.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The Courtier They also aren't completely terrible at causing plagues.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CourtierHe is the classic play, and he can get a plague going, Even faster than normal since sleepless labour helps a lot.

That gold should be good for getting into the city by bribing guards to lower security even further.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Dissident
Easier to imagine faith sweeps in after the world order is overturned unlike political infighting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Courtier

I always got a lot of mileage out of his abilities, they were some of my favourites, but then again I also deeply love causing chaos.

As a request, any chance you could downsize the big screenshots slightly? To maybe 900 or 1000 pixels wide? Not for any practical reason, they just strain my eyes slightly when they're too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Courtier