Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

As a request, any chance you could downsize the big screenshots slightly? To maybe 900 or 1000 pixels wide? Not for any practical reason, they just strain my eyes slightly when they're too big.

Will do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
The Dissident

Nothing like a Revolution to go with a new Faith.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kaiju15 posted:

Will do!

Much appreciated, thank you!

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Dissident

Best way to deal with a country is to turn it into several smaller countries.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

ZCKaiser posted:

Dissident

Best way to deal with a country is to turn it into several smaller countries.

Country too big, make smaller. The Dissident.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I vote for Courtier. They all seem pretty good, but this feels like it fits better with the current setup.

It sounds like some of the heroes can be swayed over to our side, but I imagine that the Chosen One never can. Is that correct?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
As delightful as the Dissident is, we are more of a "yes gods, yes masters" kind of deal, so Courtier it is.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Voting for the Courtier because he has more stat points.
He has 10 points, the Dissident has 9 and the Warlock has only 8 points, so the Courtier wins.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CzarChasm posted:

I vote for Courtier. They all seem pretty good, but this feels like it fits better with the current setup.

It sounds like some of the heroes can be swayed over to our side, but I imagine that the Chosen One never can. Is that correct?

Chosen one is very much immune to the VAST majority of our bullshit, there are some convulted indirect means to screw with them, or you can if you have a strong enough agent with back up, straight up kill them, but in those cases by default another one will spring back up to keep screwing with our goals. Many powers will say directly "not the chosen one."

Normal heros if they become fully enshadowed, can be recruited as an agent, and they can be powerful if they have trained their abilities because that is seperate from our enhancement of agents and does stack up, you can get some high level stuff off of a hero. They can be VERY useful.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
To enshadow a location we just pump shadow into it from our tomb, but how do we enshadow people? Is it just a result from enshadowing places or its an agent action?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kanthulhu posted:

To enshadow a location we just pump shadow into it from our tomb, but how do we enshadow people? Is it just a result from enshadowing places or its an agent action?

Location ruler's enshadowment will slowly creep towards the location's enshadowment over time. iirc heroes gain a chunk of enshadowment when they rest in enshadowed location.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can Security hit zero and grant instant infiltration?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mzbundifund posted:

Nope. I think the difficulty is 50+Security*25 or something like that. There is a minimum for sure.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Mzbundifund posted:

0 security just means there’s no added time to infiltrate, it still takes 50 progress as a base.

Anyway, got the game as a result of the LP, it’s good but I am real bad at using the sneakier agents.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

AtomikKrab posted:

Chosen one is very much immune to the VAST majority of our bullshit, there are some convulted indirect means to screw with them, or you can if you have a strong enough agent with back up, straight up kill them, but in those cases by default another one will spring back up to keep screwing with our goals. Many powers will say directly "not the chosen one."

Normal heros if they become fully enshadowed, can be recruited as an agent, and they can be powerful if they have trained their abilities because that is seperate from our enhancement of agents and does stack up, you can get some high level stuff off of a hero. They can be VERY useful.

You can also do other fun stuff, as has been hinted at, like for instance stealing a hero's item and planting it on someone else, or framing them for a crime, or with certain gods' powers loving with their likes/dislikes to make them more likely to do self-destructive stuff that starts feuds with other NPC's.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Got the game based on this LP. I lack the focus to really excel at it, I think, but I managed to eke out a win with Big Snek. A+ would eat the world again

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, the Trickster is surprisingly good when working in tandem with another agent; she has an ability that lets her take a hero's item and plant it as 'evidence' somewhere else, so whatever heat the next agent pulls gets stuck to the hero, not the agent. I don't think it works if the agent just outright murders another hero though, it has to be an agent action, so Brutally Assassinating a ruler shifts the heat, killing that annoying little poo poo who keeps on disrupting your ritual does not seem to. Still, it's great for causing chaos, especially once your Courtier has started a war or two. Seriously, so many people went insane after I started a massive war between the humans and elves, and those numbers only rose once I started personal vendettas between heroes as well :allears:

Honestly, the biggest thing holding me back is trying to play Ophanim the way it's supposed to be played :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

When you get the murder festival really going, it's great. It's almost a shame to have to start killing off everyone with plague and madness because of the timetable.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Courtier

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The Dissident I want to see the new elf interaction

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

So this is what we're doing in the Shadows of the Forbidden Gods! :dumbrim:

Buy yes, voting Courtier.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

CommissarMega posted:

Man, the Trickster is surprisingly good when working in tandem with another agent; she has an ability that lets her take a hero's item and plant it as 'evidence' somewhere else, so whatever heat the next agent pulls gets stuck to the hero, not the agent. I don't think it works if the agent just outright murders another hero though, it has to be an agent action, so Brutally Assassinating a ruler shifts the heat, killing that annoying little poo poo who keeps on disrupting your ritual does not seem to. Still, it's great for causing chaos, especially once your Courtier has started a war or two. Seriously, so many people went insane after I started a massive war between the humans and elves, and those numbers only rose once I started personal vendettas between heroes as well :allears:

Honestly, the biggest thing holding me back is trying to play Ophanim the way it's supposed to be played :v:

In my experience if you want to start casual hellwars there's no better god for it than Iastur...mainly because you can "infect" rulers with a genocidal hatred of elves/humans/dwarves and watch them casually burn the world down for you. Assuming they haven't picked up sociopathy or the like after driving them insane...that can cause a civil war...

There are so many ways to gently caress with the forces of GoodTM in this game, it's great. It's to the point that I genuinely wish there was a mode that let you play as the Chosen One and company because the mechanics are robust enough that it looks like it'd be equally as fun to run around and try to fulfill a Grand Prophecy or whatever while trying to stop the world from burning down.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

In my experience if you want to start casual hellwars there's no better god for it than Iastur...mainly because you can "infect" rulers with a genocidal hatred of elves/humans/dwarves and watch them casually burn the world down for you. Assuming they haven't picked up sociopathy or the like after driving them insane...that can cause a civil war...

There are so many ways to gently caress with the forces of GoodTM in this game, it's great. It's to the point that I genuinely wish there was a mode that let you play as the Chosen One and company because the mechanics are robust enough that it looks like it'd be equally as fun to run around and try to fulfill a Grand Prophecy or whatever while trying to stop the world from burning down.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make that a DLC.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Well, this thread has cost me :tenbux: :tenbux: and hours of my life.

Hell of a game even if I'm still dreadful at it.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Dissident is fun, but I would never abandon my precious son the Courtier.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
If we want to bring Fantasy China to its knees, the best way is probably an evil Courtier.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I have never so much as heard about this game until now, but you got me curious, I'm definitely following this thread.

I'm also going to vote courtier

Dissident would serve us well too, but I'd say it makes more sense to be subtle at first, building our religion, before the inevitable holy war hits the fan later.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 8, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mindopali posted:

I have never so much as heard about this game until now, but you got me curious, I'm definitely following this thread.

I'm also going to vote courtier

Dissident would serve us well too, but I'd say it makes more sense to be subtle at first, building our religion, before the inevitable holy war hits the fan later.

The game is pretty incredible in what you can do and how each god can play very differently

Also spreading fish cult for the win is quite fun.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Warlocks I've found can be surprisingly good generic henchmen when specced into Death Magic, raising ghasts to spread shadow, and from what I've seen heroes generally don't seem to mess with said ghasts. And of course, they're generic, so as long as your recruitment points hold up you can easily replace them. Mind you, I'm playing a map that starts in a state of war (50 x 50, seed is 616) , so YMMV.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Looks like The Courtier is our winner.

Work has been obnoxious, so I'll probably have the next update sometime over the weekend.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Warlocks I've found can be surprisingly good generic henchmen when specced into Death Magic, raising ghasts to spread shadow, and from what I've seen heroes generally don't seem to mess with said ghasts. And of course, they're generic, so as long as your recruitment points hold up you can easily replace them. Mind you, I'm playing a map that starts in a state of war (50 x 50, seed is 616) , so YMMV.

Extra agents running around causing trouble is helpful, whatever your method of getting them.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Had some freetime, got myself the game.

The UI isn't nearly as hostile as I thought, but drat are there many intricacies to virtually everything that takes time to understand. Took me a while to get a first victory on lowest difficulty.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AtomikKrab posted:

Extra agents running around causing trouble is helpful, whatever your method of getting them.

Oh, undoubtedly. Seriously, Warlocks are so good- right now, my current favourite tactic is to get my dudes enough Arcane Secrets to raise their Death Magic to 2, then go trawling around battlefields to raise armies of the dead that automatically follow the Warlock. The best thing is, they don't seem to get Profile/Menace beyond that of the initial raising, so my process is:

1: Raise Dead
2: Go to enemy city I want gone so my orcs can colonize
3: Rest and Resupply/Make Cache actions while zombie army eats everyone.
4: Once zombie army has eaten everybody and razed city, move on.

I like to think that my Warlock just goes and finds a sunny place to read some trashy paperback novel while everyone's screaming around him :allears:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am looking for some hot tips on how to play this game, because apparently I suck at it. I tried it when it was in early access, but never could finish the game in time -> I would usually be a on path to slowly win, but not fast enough.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
In my most recent game I tried to do underground stuff with orcs but basically went nowhere for 200 turns. Then I summoned the new agent, the Seeker. Her gimmick is that she needs to go around collecting 5 not particularly difficult to get things and can then transform into a powerful controllable monster. So I use that to go around eating all the farming villages, causing famine on the main continent. Then I get some newly minted warlocks going around summoning ghasts from all the destroyed village. Oh and let's check out this other new agent, the outcast, who can do human sacrifice to recharge power or destroy every ward in the world, humanity's one defense against mass enshadowment...by the time my god finally woke up I was at 90% victory progress with most of humanity too depressed to do anything.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Please get suspicion thrown on Beng - I want to see how nasty that gets.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

pedro0930 posted:

In my most recent game I tried to do underground stuff with orcs but basically went nowhere for 200 turns. Then I summoned the new agent, the Seeker. Her gimmick is that she needs to go around collecting 5 not particularly difficult to get things and can then transform into a powerful controllable monster. So I use that to go around eating all the farming villages, causing famine on the main continent. Then I get some newly minted warlocks going around summoning ghasts from all the destroyed village. Oh and let's check out this other new agent, the outcast, who can do human sacrifice to recharge power or destroy every ward in the world, humanity's one defense against mass enshadowment...by the time my god finally woke up I was at 90% victory progress with most of humanity too depressed to do anything.

my best use of the seeker was to eat the drat elves while they were distracted with my orcs.

I had a relatively good game recently going for the double vampire achievement. I got a warlock up with blood magic, another with death, went to town with that, at the end as humanity started to burn everything against me, I set up the death lock to do the uncontrollable army of the dead that multiplies, there was so much death lying around that I had 10 armies of them before the world ended.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Xarn posted:

I am looking for some hot tips on how to play this game, because apparently I suck at it. I tried it when it was in early access, but never could finish the game in time -> I would usually be a on path to slowly win, but not fast enough.
The simplest hint is that you can turn off the time limit if you want, and a lot of players find it more fun when you do. As for tips on more efficient play, here are a few:

-Typically, it's easiest to infiltrate a city by infiltrating enough of its neighbours to get it down to 3 security, parking a Noble Connections Courtier on the city to decrease it to 2, then bribing the guards to decrease it to 0. If you're playing as She Who Will Feast or Iastur, you can comfortably have your first city infiltrated, enshadowed and Well of Shadows'd by turn 50 once you get used to coordinating your agents. Note that cities have different security levels depending on their ruler's Intrigue, so you'll usually want to pick one with relatively few PoIs and no more than 5 security. Unrest-based infiltration is generally a mug's game.

-The Lay Low challenge is very important to manage your agents' profile and menace (menace is usually a bigger deal), and its effectiveness varies wildly depending on where you do it. By default it's 1 profile and menace per turn, with 1 more from a location that's over half-infiltrated and 1 more on top of that from a location that's over 50% shadow, giving you a maximum of 3 profile and menace per turn. However, for non-city locations, you instead get 2 profile/menace by default and another 2 if it's fully infiltrated, totaling 4. This makes witch covens and minor settlements with Ancient Ruins on top of them excellent and easy-to-infiltrate hidey holes.

-If you enter combat with a hero, it'll interrupt whatever task they were previously doing, regardless of the fight's outcome. Chosen One doing their obnoxious Redeem Sovereign challenge, or heroes keep consecrating a holy site you're trying to get into desecration range? Throw an agent at them and force them to start over again - it's even more effective on Chosen Ones doing Redeem Sovereign, since it has a long cooldown that resets as soon as they start. The rats you recruit in Vast Sewers are an easy way to keep your agent alive for the first turn of combat, after which they can just run away.

-Witches are very good. They're very easy to infiltrate, and once you do infiltrate them you can start spreading shadow (if holy orders are disabled) or getting huge amounts of free influence with the witch circle (if holy orders are enabled). If you don't have specific plans for the witches, a common opener is Elder Alignment -3, then Dark Worship -2, then Preachers 1 and Temple Builders 1 - that will cause them to aggressively spread shadow all around them until a neighbour gets fed up and burns their coven down, then they'll build a new temple and do it all over again. If you don't know what any of those words mean, you're probably playing with holy orders disabled, and can just enshadow it instead.

-Plagues are very good. They kill population (which gives you victory and doesn't cause World Panic unless the settlement gets fully destroyed), they waste heroes' time, and they take pretty minimal upkeep (mostly just the occasional Novel Strain to make sure Immunity doesn't get too high).

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 12, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CommissarMega posted:

yeah they and warlords are my go to expendable morons depending on map state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I finally managed to freaking get the dark empire percentage achievement. I think its bugged and counting world pop IN the dark empire as being both Dark empire and regular enshadowed for score so it's doubling it up.