Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Evil below I've never done that one... mostly because I didn't know there was a dlc coming out.

The game is very fun, interesting and sets up for all sorts of different game play based on what god you picked and what the world gens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

Gonna be the odd one out and vote Mammon because that sounds like fun.

This whole game seems really fun, can't wait to see what it plays like.

Mammon is my personal favorite, but also easy compared to the others.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

habituallyred posted:

Any tips? The only time I won with Mammon it was thunderdome style. Recruiting the courtier purely to tag in to combat while the Baron takes their nap.

Not getting too much aggro is the key, giving the heros something else to distract them (a nice plague can help) and accepting that you might get looted some, getting looted helps reduce your heat level as well, so basically keep topped off as you can and use your powers more than anything else to attract more souls in.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Go big or go home Nghuai, Inquisitor is nice, if the chosen one was far I prefer duality, but Inquistor will help.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 28, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

By default trying to gain magic for yourself will cause an arms race, the wizards of the world can tell when you try that poo poo and they WILL fight back hard if the world is not on utter fire preventing them. Part of that is that high level magic quite frankly can do more damage than the strongest god powers. I've literally won games I was behind on by setting up a bunch of magical loot for a certain later game agent, getting them set up and stealthed and calling down the nasty with my remaining agents disrupting attempts to stop them. The Heros can't win if literally everyone around them is dead.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SettingSun posted:

I could never get orcs to work well for me so I'm excited to see them in the future. Any force I make would be quickly slapped down by local towns.

Orcs got a buff with the dlc, you can expand underground with them if you can get the money together, and once underground theres... really nothing in your way to just flop out an entire continent spanning orc civilization that you can unleash later.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I don't have the DLC, but I like using orcs as a hate sink. Get a warlord, get him an ogre or two, go wreak some havoc so everyone hates him, let the forces of good hunt and kill him. Not only distracts them, it lowers the heat on all your other agents when the orc dies because the good guys think they killed the bad guy.

Oh yes, I do this often, heck with the underground stuff if you get a warlord down there you can go ham, grab the free ogres that live in the underground while building your empire beneath, when the heros come for him, start slaughtering so you eventually get a conga line to him before he goes down and frees up your slot.

Meanwhile your other heros are giving everyone else a case of the deep ones.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I got inspired to play some more because of the lp, just finished with Iastur, I went fully political and used mortal means primarily to have humans do my dirtiest of work in spreading madness amongst themselves, I also forgot that his end game is stupidly good at just causing madness everywhere forever and a day.

I also used the new dlc agents to get rid of the elves for me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Goatse James Bond posted:

yeah cranking command on your warlord is the way to go

even if you don't have a strong military position for the orcs (such as, for example, if the massive empire on the eastern continent slaughtered the lot), he can still screw around sacking villages and causing famines, and then probably kill the first hero or two that comes for him

Yes, the human empires will squash orcs if you try to solo them, they need to be distracted and infighting first, THEN you can call the hordes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CourtierHe is the classic play, and he can get a plague going, Even faster than normal since sleepless labour helps a lot.

That gold should be good for getting into the city by bribing guards to lower security even further.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I vote for Courtier. They all seem pretty good, but this feels like it fits better with the current setup.

It sounds like some of the heroes can be swayed over to our side, but I imagine that the Chosen One never can. Is that correct?

Chosen one is very much immune to the VAST majority of our bullshit, there are some convulted indirect means to screw with them, or you can if you have a strong enough agent with back up, straight up kill them, but in those cases by default another one will spring back up to keep screwing with our goals. Many powers will say directly "not the chosen one."

Normal heros if they become fully enshadowed, can be recruited as an agent, and they can be powerful if they have trained their abilities because that is seperate from our enhancement of agents and does stack up, you can get some high level stuff off of a hero. They can be VERY useful.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mindopali posted:

I have never so much as heard about this game until now, but you got me curious, I'm definitely following this thread.

I'm also going to vote courtier

Dissident would serve us well too, but I'd say it makes more sense to be subtle at first, building our religion, before the inevitable holy war hits the fan later.

The game is pretty incredible in what you can do and how each god can play very differently

Also spreading fish cult for the win is quite fun.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Warlocks I've found can be surprisingly good generic henchmen when specced into Death Magic, raising ghasts to spread shadow, and from what I've seen heroes generally don't seem to mess with said ghasts. And of course, they're generic, so as long as your recruitment points hold up you can easily replace them. Mind you, I'm playing a map that starts in a state of war (50 x 50, seed is 616) , so YMMV.

Extra agents running around causing trouble is helpful, whatever your method of getting them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

pedro0930 posted:

In my most recent game I tried to do underground stuff with orcs but basically went nowhere for 200 turns. Then I summoned the new agent, the Seeker. Her gimmick is that she needs to go around collecting 5 not particularly difficult to get things and can then transform into a powerful controllable monster. So I use that to go around eating all the farming villages, causing famine on the main continent. Then I get some newly minted warlocks going around summoning ghasts from all the destroyed village. Oh and let's check out this other new agent, the outcast, who can do human sacrifice to recharge power or destroy every ward in the world, humanity's one defense against mass enshadowment...by the time my god finally woke up I was at 90% victory progress with most of humanity too depressed to do anything.

my best use of the seeker was to eat the drat elves while they were distracted with my orcs.

I had a relatively good game recently going for the double vampire achievement. I got a warlock up with blood magic, another with death, went to town with that, at the end as humanity started to burn everything against me, I set up the death lock to do the uncontrollable army of the dead that multiplies, there was so much death lying around that I had 10 armies of them before the world ended.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I finally managed to freaking get the dark empire percentage achievement. I think its bugged and counting world pop IN the dark empire as being both Dark empire and regular enshadowed for score so it's doubling it up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Servetus posted:

So, how does actually spreading the religion work?

Religions will have acolytes who have special actions to spread the faith they worship

Notably some of our agents who are members of human society can be faithful, and they can spread faith for us if so desired. Courtier for example can be faithful if you spawn him in a city with a faith attached.

This can be useful to bring a faith you are corrupting to places you have already infilitrated, or to causes holy wars between different faiths!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Shogeton posted:

Some cultist: "After all this time, proving my dedication, my skill, my ruthlessness have paid off. Now, I will be in the Inner Circle, and be one of the hidden puppetmasters of the world, moving things discreetly into place for our Dread Master!"

The Supplicant: "Oh hey, the replacement. Good! here is your top hat and your moustache for twirling. Here's a list of people that you should kill. Make it nice and showy. Maybe kick some kittens or burn down an orphanage, time permitting. Hope you kept up on your fitness, you'll be doing a lot of running. When the heroes are all hunting you down, if you could lead them to that continent. And when you make your last stand, make sure to lament all your plans falling through, so they think they got all of us. Wow, you're even weeping bitter, frustrated tears of ambition denied. Exactly that energy I want you to bring to bear. You're such a team player!"

Generally it is an orc warlord. So its more "here is your big loving axe, 120 gold to hire some lads with, go crush the skulls of these people for me."

One of the later uniques, who needs some requirements for locations to be corrupted, she is exceptional as a durable villianess for later game distraction. I had her up to... 500 menace in one game before she got popped

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

Do new heroes respawn when you put one under?

Because jeez what's 500 menace, 20 kills? 25? That looks like a significant fraction of the good guys' heroforce.

About 8 kills, significant amount of that was from surviving the conga line of heros coming to kill her while she was in areas that buffed her while she just ran as soon as possible, she went down to chip damage from high attack heros at the end.

I had set her up with a stack of defensive items and she started with a full roster of minons as well.

Cythereal posted:

Yup. You can't permanently put the forces of good down.

It's one of the reasons why I like this game thematically. Yeah you're an eldritch abomination of unspeakable evil, but you are the underdog of this story.

But as here, heroes not only respond, once an agents menace is high enough they will be attacked constantly, and this will be upgraded to "hero gets a goddamn army with them to hunt you down with," if they survive those initial hunts. You cannot constantly win those battles. Nor should you try to keep every agent alive forever, that will just waste your time and recruitment points.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Volmarias posted:

... Does defeating them not cause any negative consequences to whoever sent them? Thematically it makes sense, but if you can lure their army to chase your agent then have a puppet kingdom invade, it seems like a fantastic mustache twirling moment.

So based off personal relationships it can cause all sorts of things.

One big thing is that close family will mourn the lost hero, this can cause various things to happen via random events that potentially the elder god can change as well. So it can do things

New heros will often spawn at a lower level with less stat boosts, no attached minions or gear, they will have to stock up to get things going which costs time. New heros also won't always spawn in the same country meaning that country could end up being out of heros to do hero stuff.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Randalor posted:

Shadows of Forbidden Gods is one of my favorite games that I'm just absolutely terrible at. I've managed to beat the game once with She who Thirsts.

My current favorite thing to do is:

Create the Cursed asap and kill her target
Have the Cursed help infiltrate some places while beefing up her Might (ideally focusing on a religious group's seat of power)
When I get another Agent point, have the Cursed go on a murdering spree, and when she dies, bring in The Harvester
Let the Harvester eat a few souls then sit on the religious group's seat of power while preaching about the good word of You 5G nanomachines in vaccines the world is a sphere the elves are using space lasers to start forest fires
Keep influencing the religion because HOLY HELL PEOPLE KEEP LISTENING TO HIM!

Eventually when he dies, promote one of the dozen or so acolytes of the religion to keep singing my praises, because no one tries to stop him for so long and they. Keep. Coming. Back.

Is it effective? Probably not. Is it funny? Hell yeah! Now if only I knew how to actually use the religious mechanics to my advantage...

Have the harvester lay low to keep him alive longer, make sure you infiltrate the holy order and surroundings, and get music of the spheres on, it turns the temples of the holy order into power generating machines that also provide madness.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Randalor posted:

I do have him lay low after awhile, but it takes a surprisingly long time for people to actually notice the crazy old man even when he's performing "miracles" and the church is :hmmyes: along with what he's saying. Also, what's Music of the Spheres? I don't think I've seen that yet.

If this is considered inappropriate for the LP because OP hasn't covered religious stuff in-depth yet, just let me know and I'll erase my posts.

Lay low early with him, preferably taking a moment to pop over to an infiltrated place with good reduction.

The spheres one is a moral tenant you can adjust once you get the overall balance in favor of elder powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

We don't, but someone who is good at making threads should do that... not me, I'm not good at that.