Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
When I last played, I found Iastur and Vinerva to be some of the more fun ones, Vinerva in particular had some very obvious loops to exploit people and turn them into plants, but felt a bit too easy once you got going.

Ophanim was also fun but definitely tricky, I had a hell of a time getting my evil empire off the ground.

SoFG is one of those games I keep telling myself I should go back and do another playthrough of, but at the same time it feels daunting because it's one of those kind of Paradox-esque games where your first task is to apply a certain amount of mental bandwidth to parsing the non-default UI and mechanics and keeping track of a ton of things happening at once.

Big props to the dev for basically taking a bungled/scam kickstarter("That Which Sleeps") and turning it into a real game partially out of what I can assume is spite and "for gently caress's sake, let me show you how it's done."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

There isn't an awful lot more to it, That Which Sleeps was a Kickstarter which promised everything SoFG delivers on: being an evil lurking horror doing all sorts of fantasy villain bullshit, initially from behind the scenes, then escalating to full aggression, with a lot of neat-looking screenshots and promises and then... nothing. Bobby Two Hands started off creating a couple of rougher cuts called "Shadow Behind the Throne" 1 and 2, which were still fun and interesting, then silence for a bit, and then suddenly this excellent game dropped on us.

TWS never even officially imploded, sometime in 2017 the dev just ghosted everyone.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hell yeah, looking foward to it!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I'm excited about this LP. I never backed That which Sleeps but the concept enamored me and I followed it closely. I was sorely disappointed when it came out thar the "game" was basically a scam but got really excited when I read about this game. Tried the demo but had a really hard time getting into it and feeling like I was accomplishing something. So I'm really looking forward to seeing a more experienced and reasonably confident player have a go at it and see what I can learn and try in the demo. Maybe see about actually buying it.

It can feel like you're not doing a lot at first, because a lot of the bigger things you can do are about slowly building up influence and not being too flashy because then John Adventurerman stats holding a grudge. Once you figure out what you CAN build up to, though, and a good way of doing that is just trying out a slash-and-burn campaign where you steal, assassinate, etc. like crazy, it can be satisfying watching your agents set things up for a big surprise for the forces of good and watching the agents of good blunder into your prepared traps and surprises.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Let's enshadow Gfen, I like the idea of the heroes rushing halfway across the world to challenge a rising evil empire, when the tomb of the elder god was in their own backyard all along, and I remember picking Inquisitor myself since Doubt is annoying at times.

I also love our Chosen One. It's somewhat interesting that he's married to a queen and has noble children, while himself not being a noble. It gives a mental image of some sort of hero who married the queen after impressing her with cool quests and stuff, but refused to be tied down to the throne, wanders the world, saves people, then returns every so often to his own civilization, his children, his wife, etc. Being a fan of humans also gives some weight to that interpretation, him going among the shorter lived races, the "mortals" and helping them out with their troubles, either because he's fascinated by them in a scholarly sense or because he genuinely cares about them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Courtier

I always got a lot of mileage out of his abilities, they were some of my favourites, but then again I also deeply love causing chaos.

As a request, any chance you could downsize the big screenshots slightly? To maybe 900 or 1000 pixels wide? Not for any practical reason, they just strain my eyes slightly when they're too big.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kaiju15 posted:

Will do!

Much appreciated, thank you!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Chosen one is very much immune to the VAST majority of our bullshit, there are some convulted indirect means to screw with them, or you can if you have a strong enough agent with back up, straight up kill them, but in those cases by default another one will spring back up to keep screwing with our goals. Many powers will say directly "not the chosen one."

Normal heros if they become fully enshadowed, can be recruited as an agent, and they can be powerful if they have trained their abilities because that is seperate from our enhancement of agents and does stack up, you can get some high level stuff off of a hero. They can be VERY useful.

You can also do other fun stuff, as has been hinted at, like for instance stealing a hero's item and planting it on someone else, or framing them for a crime, or with certain gods' powers loving with their likes/dislikes to make them more likely to do self-destructive stuff that starts feuds with other NPC's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One thing I like to do is having some generic agents around just to do the "loud" stuff like murdering troublesome kings and politicians, letting them run around with maxed menace and profile to lead the heroes on a merry chase while everyone else who isn't an idiot gets on with doing subtle stuff. Eventually they'll burn out, but since they're generics, they can be replaced.