Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Hoooooooooooooo boy have I spent too many hours playing and modding this game.

I'll throw one in for Evil Beneath. Destruction as a strategy is sort of hard to come by for a game about destroying the world, and noodle boy does it very well.

Blenderkitty posted:

OOC, anyone aware of any games with the exact opposite premise? I'm one of those weirdos who just can't play evil, but the gameplay idea here sounds awesome! Maybe there's a mod scene...?
If you want a similar gameplay loop except without being the bad guys, I might recommend Spirit Island or Terra Invicta. Spirit Island has a similar non-infiltration loop of "pick an otherworldly being, watch their powers grow as they slowly awaken, ruin humanity's day with volcanos/plagues/etc", except you're a nature spirit and they're colonizers, so it's cool. Terra Invicta's like if X-COM was a game about global secret societies instead of about strike teams and the people supporting them.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Dissident is fun, but I would never abandon my precious son the Courtier.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Xarn posted:

I am looking for some hot tips on how to play this game, because apparently I suck at it. I tried it when it was in early access, but never could finish the game in time -> I would usually be a on path to slowly win, but not fast enough.
The simplest hint is that you can turn off the time limit if you want, and a lot of players find it more fun when you do. As for tips on more efficient play, here are a few:

-Typically, it's easiest to infiltrate a city by infiltrating enough of its neighbours to get it down to 3 security, parking a Noble Connections Courtier on the city to decrease it to 2, then bribing the guards to decrease it to 0. If you're playing as She Who Will Feast or Iastur, you can comfortably have your first city infiltrated, enshadowed and Well of Shadows'd by turn 50 once you get used to coordinating your agents. Note that cities have different security levels depending on their ruler's Intrigue, so you'll usually want to pick one with relatively few PoIs and no more than 5 security. Unrest-based infiltration is generally a mug's game.

-The Lay Low challenge is very important to manage your agents' profile and menace (menace is usually a bigger deal), and its effectiveness varies wildly depending on where you do it. By default it's 1 profile and menace per turn, with 1 more from a location that's over half-infiltrated and 1 more on top of that from a location that's over 50% shadow, giving you a maximum of 3 profile and menace per turn. However, for non-city locations, you instead get 2 profile/menace by default and another 2 if it's fully infiltrated, totaling 4. This makes witch covens and minor settlements with Ancient Ruins on top of them excellent and easy-to-infiltrate hidey holes.

-If you enter combat with a hero, it'll interrupt whatever task they were previously doing, regardless of the fight's outcome. Chosen One doing their obnoxious Redeem Sovereign challenge, or heroes keep consecrating a holy site you're trying to get into desecration range? Throw an agent at them and force them to start over again - it's even more effective on Chosen Ones doing Redeem Sovereign, since it has a long cooldown that resets as soon as they start. The rats you recruit in Vast Sewers are an easy way to keep your agent alive for the first turn of combat, after which they can just run away.

-Witches are very good. They're very easy to infiltrate, and once you do infiltrate them you can start spreading shadow (if holy orders are disabled) or getting huge amounts of free influence with the witch circle (if holy orders are enabled). If you don't have specific plans for the witches, a common opener is Elder Alignment -3, then Dark Worship -2, then Preachers 1 and Temple Builders 1 - that will cause them to aggressively spread shadow all around them until a neighbour gets fed up and burns their coven down, then they'll build a new temple and do it all over again. If you don't know what any of those words mean, you're probably playing with holy orders disabled, and can just enshadow it instead.

-Plagues are very good. They kill population (which gives you victory and doesn't cause World Panic unless the settlement gets fully destroyed), they waste heroes' time, and they take pretty minimal upkeep (mostly just the occasional Novel Strain to make sure Immunity doesn't get too high).

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 12, 2024

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure the only things that would make other nations particularly motivated to attack the Dark Empire are either being in the Alliance or having high-menace locations inside the Dark Empire. If you're making the Dark Empire with Vinerva, you might want to make sure you're placing your Hearts of the Forest outside your target's territory.