Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

thin blue whine posted:

Are there any other instances of Games WOKEshop doing more lore reveals or retcons on things like what's happened with the Custodes?

Off the top of my head:

- New models getting introduced does this near constantly (the Rogal Dorn has just been around for millennia even though it was only released two years ago).
- The entire Necron lore getting torn down and rewritten.
- Timing for the Fall of the Eldar just got shunted from "forever ago" to "after the Dark Age of Technology" which is just the mother of all headaches.
- There are now two Wars in Heaven.
- Something about T'au Ethereals and mind control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Chucat posted:

Off the top of my head:
- Timing for the Fall of the Eldar just got shunted from "forever ago" to "after the Dark Age of Technology" which is just the mother of all headaches.

wut

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah it was the warp storm created by the opening of the Eye of Terror that caused Old Night and reduced to humanity to disparate groups surviving on their individual worlds, who would eventually be reunited by the Emperor during the Great Crusade.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

orkz keep winning

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

The Eldar had an absolutely massive fuckoff empire that did things like use stars as lightbulbs for fun. They hosed up and made Slaneesh which blew up their whole empire and they're now just an old dying race. If this happened in the stone age or however long ago, it makes sense. But it gets moved to the point AFTER humanity also have an absolutely massive fuckoff empire that does things like use their robot butlers to rewind time so they can catch Frasier live, if I remember right, they don't ever interact.

It's just handwaved away at this point though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

They literally cant lose

"Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Chucat posted:

The Eldar had an absolutely massive fuckoff empire that did things like use stars as lightbulbs for fun. They hosed up and made Slaneesh which blew up their whole empire and they're now just an old dying race. If this happened in the stone age or however long ago, it makes sense. But it gets moved to the point AFTER humanity also have an absolutely massive fuckoff empire that does things like use their robot butlers to rewind time so they can catch Frasier live, if I remember right, they don't ever interact.

It's just handwaved away at this point though.

I don't think we know humanity was an empire before Old Night. Humans were all over the place, but beyond banning together to fight the robots and ban AI, it's never stated that humanity was one single polity.

By that pint Eldar had already descended into depravity, and we know that the bulk of their species was just hanging around near their home system, fuckin'.

It's not unreasonable that humanity was able to expand through the galaxy because by that point the Eldar just straight up didn't care. We were like rats taking over a disused vacation house while the owners were busy at home, fuckin'.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Most of that makes a fair bit of sense actually.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gw retcons often slap because they get 3, 4, 5 tries at it

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Gripweed posted:

yeah it was the warp storm created by the opening of the Eye of Terror that caused Old Night and reduced to humanity to disparate groups surviving on their individual worlds, who would eventually be reunited by the Emperor during the Great Crusade.

Wait I thought it was the fall that CLEARED the warp storms that locked Terra down, and humanity had fallen beforehand due to the AI war, rampant psycher explosions and the rise of the Enslavers. If the fall of the Elder caused the warp storms to break up the human federation, what caused the storms to go away?

'Corse I presume both of these are correct in the lore and no one actually knows the truth in universe now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Comstar posted:

Wait I thought it was the fall that CLEARED the warp storms that locked Terra down, and humanity had fallen beforehand due to the AI war, rampant psycher explosions and the rise of the Enslavers. If the fall of the Elder caused the warp storms to break up the human federation, what caused the storms to go away?

'Corse I presume both of these are correct in the lore and no one actually knows the truth in universe now.

see, that's the second retcon, we're de facto in the fourth

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Chucat posted:

Off the top of my head:

- New models getting introduced does this near constantly (the Rogal Dorn has just been around for millennia even though it was only released two years ago).
- The entire Necron lore getting torn down and rewritten.
- There are now two Wars in Heaven.
- Something about T'au Ethereals and mind control.

Did the Necrons used to be more genetic T-800 types? I don't remember any Egyptian theming to them when they seemed to appear about the time I was drifting away as a kid.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

Did the Necrons used to be more genetic T-800 types? I don't remember any Egyptian theming to them when they seemed to appear about the time I was drifting away as a kid.

they were first introduced as a picture of "chaos androids", then they were non-chaos t-800 types, then they ate a retcon to be robot tomb kings (when they got character models), and then they got some novels which depicted them as tomb kings with even more dementia

ironically, far more popular now than tomb kings ever were

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

From the Get go Necrons used various pyramids so they were always kinda egypt coded although lightly. Latley though theyve been hammering it in.

They were hinted at first i think in GorkaMorka (the Mad Max Ork game) where there was a massive pyramid that orks would just disappear at if they got too close.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 24, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Comstar posted:

The warp storms naturally abated. I think that’s the reason the Emperor launched the Great Crusade when he did, he had to wait for the Warp to calm down.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Disco Pope posted:

Scarabs were a unit to begin with, there was some at the start.

God, the original Destroyer model was ridiculous.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
scroll down a bit on this one to see it

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/08/necrons-through-the-ages/

what i mean by the pre-tomb-kings-in-space is the "ctan actually control them all" era

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 24, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Disco Pope posted:

To the point where they had a rule literally named We'll Be Back, yes.

The current retcon is that those were the mindless low-caste slaves and servitors being woken up first to prepare the ground for their glorious feudal lords who have still managed to retain their personalities and memories, just with robo-Alzheimers. They're funner now.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Do the Necrons ever crack jokes to each other or are they just eternally super serious and miserable

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the noblemen are like half zany shenanigans and half brutal body horror despair

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Do the Necrons ever crack jokes to each other or are they just eternally super serious and miserable

There is a book called the Infinite and the Divine, two necron lords in a buddy cop adventure basically, i heard its pretty great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Smugworth posted:

Hihohe posted:

There is a book called the Infinite and the Divine, two necron lords in a buddy cop adventure basically, i heard its pretty great.

Yeah it owns. At one point Trazyn unleashes a brood of Genestealers at Orikan as a prank.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

There's a necron lord whose schtik is that he was one of the greatest generals they've ever known but is suffering from dementia and views all opponents as variations of battles he's already fought with no knowledge of his current state as a soulless robot. He'll do things like take captive generals back to the flagship to feast them in honor of their worthy combat and not in the way where they're all insane and eating each other, he just has a banquet for some poor imperial bastard who can't understand what's happening or why the robots have piles of food in front of them. He wins so much that no one has been able to coup him even though his underlings are sick of it. Well, plus he has an insanely competent and sane bodyguard.

He's been in a few short stories/books and it's heavily implied but not outright stated that the dementia is a ruse to downplay his competence enough so that he's not seen as a serious threat by any ruling dynasties.

For an entire book of Necrons being hilarious, may I recommend The Infinite And The Divine, which features everybody's favorite Trazyn the Infinite vs Orikan the Diviner as they attempt and fail to kill and/or embarrass each other over millions of years.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it owns. At one point Trazyn unleashes a genestealer that ends up dooming the planet they're on at Orikan as a prank.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If Orikan hadn’t let one get away it would have been fine!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
oh for those not up on Trayzn: so as the dormant necrons were waking up one powerful dynasty in particular suffered a series of catastrophes that basically meant rule and ownership devolved to a museum curator. Said museum curator finds himself at the head of an enormous army headquartered in a dyson sphere and goes gently caress it, gonna build the absolute best museum I can.

quote:

Dear Lady, let me express my fulsome appreciation for your most generous gift. It is so very rare to discover another of my own kind that appreciates my work, therefore to find understanding amongst a member of another race is nothing short of a revelation. I realise that you briefly trod my galleries, but the fact that you spotted in so short a time that my Acabrius War collection was lacking three regiments of Catachan warriors reveals that you truly have a collector's eye for detail. And to send five regiments! Such generosity will allow me to weed out and replace a few of the more substandard pieces in my collection. If I might level a minor criticism, the instructions issued to your gift were manifestly not as clear as you thought, as most of them had to be forcibly restrained -- sadly it seems that the lower orders will always behave like an army of invasion, whether that be their purpose or not. However, this is a minor complaint and seems almost churlish under the circumstances, so please allow me to repay your gift with one of my own. Accompanying this message is the Hyperstone Maze, one of a series of Tesseract Labyrinths constructed at the height of the Charnovokh Dynasty. It is a trinket really, only of interest to scholars such as you and I, but I trust you will find it amusing -- assuming you have the wit to escape its clutches, of course."

— Hyperscroll message from Trazyn the Infinite, addressed to Inquisitor Helynna Valeria, ca. 805.M41

he is one of the best characters to come out of 40k period

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Infinite and the divine rules, I think there's a scene where Orokin and Trazyn are having what is described as an epic scifi slap fight but if you actually work out the terms they're using they're moving at the speed of like two old dudes with walkers

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but still putting dents on the floor because their robot bodies are megastrong

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

My only complaint about this is giving Horus (Horusia?) hair. Totally destroys what made him/her the best, that big, beautiful, bald dome.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Benagain posted:

There's a necron lord whose schtik is that he was one of the greatest generals they've ever known but is suffering from dementia and views all opponents as variations of battles he's already fought with no knowledge of his current state as a soulless robot. He'll do things like take captive generals back to the flagship to feast them in honor of their worthy combat and not in the way where they're all insane and eating each other, he just has a banquet for some poor imperial bastard who can't understand what's happening or why the robots have piles of food in front of them. He wins so much that no one has been able to coup him even though his underlings are sick of it. Well, plus he has an insanely competent and sane bodyguard.

He's been in a few short stories/books and it's heavily implied but not outright stated that the dementia is a ruse to downplay his competence enough so that he's not seen as a serious threat by any ruling dynasties.
That dude is one of my favorite dudes. He reacts to ork attacks with "ah, I see the peasant rabble is at it again? I'm not sure why they thought daubing themselves green and howling like savages would help, but who can fathom the mind of the lesser classes, really". And then he loving wipes them out with brilliant false retreats and flanking attacks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
east asian normative beauty standards are not cool w bald women. trust me

barely even cool w bald men. witness the increasingly ridiculous combovers salarymen get

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"does horus lupercal work with a salaryman combover" => no

"does roboute guilliman work with a salaryman combover" => they shoulda had the model w a combover in the first place. maybe a very tiny pocket protector and slide rule

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Anyone thinking of checking out Infinite and Divine should get the audiobook version so they can listen to the narrator doing old man voices for the whole thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Perturabo shaves his head because he went bald in that very embarrassing way where you still have a big tuft right in the front.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
All the Necron units are sentient right? Like they all used to be a living breathing person, even the scarabs? I also seem to remember the Necron access to their own sentience or consciousness is capped or bottlenecked depending on where you are on the hierarchy?

naem
May 29, 2011

Gripweed posted:

By that pint Eldar had already descended into depravity, and we know that the bulk of their species was just hanging around near their home system, fuckin'.

in the grimdark future, there are only bikini ladies

:nws: trigger warning: bikini ladies

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

thin blue whine posted:

All the Necron units are sentient right? Like they all used to be a living breathing person, even the scarabs? I also seem to remember the Necron access to their own sentience or consciousness is capped or bottlenecked depending on where you are on the hierarchy?

yes. this is detailed in excruciating body-horror detail in the twice-dead king

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I thought that the grunts got all their sapience burned out of them by a combination of their betters not really bothering to transfer it in the first place (because who needs servants that think for themselves) and whatever they had left being lost to time and comparitively poorer maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yes. this is detailed in excruciating body-horror detail in the twice-dead king

Is the book it's from part of a two book series or a trilogy, I can't remember? I really need to check it out because I've seen and heard so many people talk about how great it is, not including this thread.