Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thin blue whine posted:

Is the book it's from part of a two book series or a trilogy, I can't remember? I really need to check it out because I've seen and heard so many people talk about how great it is, not including this thread.

It’s a duology, Twice Dead King: Ruin and Twice Dead King: Reign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

thin blue whine posted:

Is the book it's from part of a two book series or a trilogy, I can't remember? I really need to check it out because I've seen and heard so many people talk about how great it is, not including this thread.

two parts. first part, ruin. second part, reign. the body horror is strewn throughout the books, but the sentience thing is first book. the author regged an account here somewhere

every necron book published in the last 5 years slaps, and there were only like inclusions in a couple of books and a few short stories before 2019. even the cron bits in 'kasrkin' slaps

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 24, 2024

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Woah! This obese dumbass in a game tee shirt sure showed ‘em.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Da Big Dakka comes after it with that grot's continuing revolutionary adventures

read Brutal Kunnin first though (and the short stories Where Dere's Da Warp Dere's A Way before that and Road Rage after)

Thank you for these recommendations

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

thin blue whine posted:

All the Necron units are sentient right? Like they all used to be a living breathing person, even the scarabs? I also seem to remember the Necron access to their own sentience or consciousness is capped or bottlenecked depending on where you are on the hierarchy?

The scarabs and canoptek stuff are constructs I believe. But the rest are former necrontyr. Twice Dead King goes into some of the hierarchy and societal stuff and how the current state is a corrupt mirror of the previous state. Both were vicious and awful, but now they have factionwide brain melt

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

It’s heavily implied/stated in the infinite and the divine that even the high ranking necrons like trayzn and orikan probably don’t have 100% accurate memories of their lives pre biotransfer because the Ctan are dicks. No spoilers but they remember some pretty major events completely differently.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CapnAndy posted:

That dude is one of my favorite dudes. He reacts to ork attacks with "ah, I see the peasant rabble is at it again? I'm not sure why they thought daubing themselves green and howling like savages would help, but who can fathom the mind of the lesser classes, really". And then he loving wipes them out with brilliant false retreats and flanking attacks.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Anyone thinking of checking out Infinite and Divine should get the audiobook version so they can listen to the narrator doing old man voices for the whole thing.

Necrons sound really funny

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
half zany antics and funny dementia, half body horror and horrifying dementia

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Are there lady necrons

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

Are there lady necrons

yes, but no dedicated female models cuz robots

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yup, and a few quick references in the books to necrons that decided to switch after the upload and long sleep.

Necron opera also exists and with an audience that doesn't need to breathe or eat there are now plays longer than the events they depict.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 24, 2024

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in Infinite and the Divine other necrons can determine their "gender" on sight but it's not described or elaborated on

they also run across statues of the original necrontyr pre-biotransference but they aren't described in any way (yet)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ilmucche posted:

Necrons sound really funny

I think it was The Infinite and The Divine where a Necron judge got tired of Trazyn and Orikan squabbling with each other and imposed a 10,000 year long restraining order on both of them as a cooling off period. Same court trial that ran into problems because Orikan is a chronomancer and kept going back in time to change things and give himself a more favorable outcome.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
definitely the best 40k book for peeps who plan to read exactly 1 book and not hundreds, and a top 5 40k book overall unquestionably

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I think it was The Infinite and The Divine where a Necron judge got tired of Trazyn and Orikan squabbling with each other and imposed a 10,000 year long restraining order on both of them as a cooling off period. Same court trial that ran into problems because Orikan is a chronomancer and kept going back in time to change things and give himself a more favorable outcome.

My favorite part is when Trazyn casually tosses something to Orikan, after running dozens of simulations to determine the angle of throw that would best communicate bored disinterest.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

My favorite part is when Trazyn casually tosses the macguffin they've been fighting about, with literal private armies and time travel, to Orikan, after running dozens of simulations to determine the angle of throw that would best communicate bored disinterest.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

m. roach's book on non-weapons militaria, 'grunt' posted:

No military fashion foolery can compete with the saga of the orange-red underwear. Around the turn of the last century there was, in the phrasing of a paper in the June 1897 issue of Medical Bulletin, “a very prevalent idea that red underwear possesses some occult medical value.” Baseless as it was, the notion made its way to the office of the US surgeon general. A Lieutenant Colonel William Wood reported that British Army officers in India had found some relief from the intense tropical sun by lining their hats with red cloth. A study was commissioned, using troops stationed in the Philippines as subjects. Though a small number of caps were prepared, the Americans seized on the idea of red underwear—perhaps as a sort of secret asset, a hidden psychological edge, like fabulous lingerie or lifts in one’s shoes. Five thousand pairs of orange-red drawers and undershirts were shipped from a War Department depot in Philadelphia, along with a like number of white drawers, as controls. Mental and bodily vigor to be monitored for one year. One thousand men conscripted as subjects.

tldr of the next page is that it didnt go well

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 25, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay that's almost perfect for 40k, just make it two planets and they start a small religious war 100 years later over red vs white undergarments.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

Okay that's almost perfect for 40k, just make it two planets and they start a small religious war 100 years later over red vs white undergarments.

i was thinking ork speed

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mr Teatime posted:

It’s heavily implied/stated in the infinite and the divine that even the high ranking necrons like trayzn and orikan probably don’t have 100% accurate memories of their lives pre biotransfer because the Ctan are dicks. No spoilers but they remember some pretty major events completely differently.

As I do not have the time to go back in time to read it, can you please tell me via spoiler?

quote:

Necron opera also exists and with an audience that doesn't need to breathe or eat there are now plays longer than the events they depict.

We have this already - there are movie and series reviews that go longer than the original. MASH lasted twice as long as the original war did.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Comstar posted:

We have this already - there are movie and series reviews that go longer than the original. MASH lasted twice as long as the original war did.

Never knew this fun fact

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Comstar posted:

As I do not have the time to go back in time to read it, can you please tell me via spoiler?

Trayzn remembers that during the time where the necrontyr were being undergoing biotransferance that he was vehemently against it and tried to run away and hide before being captured and dragged to the soul furnaces in chains. Orikan remembers that it was himself who hid away and was dragged to the furnace by, amongst others, Trayzn. In his memory Trayzn embraced biotransfer willingly.

It’s up in the air how you interpret that, but given the deceitful nature of the Ctan it’s entirely likely they remember things incorrectly by design.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Got the new Catachan novel fresh out the mail; right on schedule for bedtime stories

aaaaaahhhhhhhhh

edit: oh man tyranid weapons do not kill you clean at all

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 25, 2024

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chucat posted:

The Eldar had an absolutely massive fuckoff empire that did things like use stars as lightbulbs for fun. They hosed up and made Slaneesh which blew up their whole empire and they're now just an old dying race. If this happened in the stone age or however long ago, it makes sense. But it gets moved to the point AFTER humanity also have an absolutely massive fuckoff empire that does things like use their robot butlers to rewind time so they can catch Frasier live, if I remember right, they don't ever interact.

It's just handwaved away at this point though.

I thought that was settled for ages, and ties them in since it was the massive warp storms called by the Fall that also ended up causing the advanced human interstellar civilization to collapse as worlds were cut off from one another. Though I suppose it's all relative.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in Infinite and the Divine other necrons can determine their "gender" on sight but it's not described or elaborated on

they also run across statues of the original necrontyr pre-biotransference but they aren't described in any way (yet)

I always found it funny how a lot of hints about the necrontyr make them sound suspiciously similar to Tau.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Benagain posted:

There was an episode of Space Dandy that had a plot like this. I think it was a war over whether it was ok to just wear a vest or just underwaer. It raged for decades and ended up genociding both planets until there was only 1 alien on each side left. They continued to fight each other for decades, until Space Dandy and his crew tried to get them to sign peace accords to end it. Part of that peace accord was getting them to put on the other article of clothing. That was too much and they instead blew up both their planets and killed each other.

God drat was that show fun and weird. I wish I could have found a clip.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr Teatime posted:

Trayzn remembers that during the time where the necrontyr were being undergoing biotransferance that he was vehemently against it and tried to run away and hide before being captured and dragged to the soul furnaces in chains. Orikan remembers that it was himself who hid away and was dragged to the furnace by, amongst others, Trayzn. In his memory Trayzn embraced biotransfer willingly.

It’s up in the air how you interpret that, but given the deceitful nature of the Ctan it’s entirely likely they remember things incorrectly by design.
It sounds like it's equally possible that there was memory leakage of some sort during the process and people got each other's memories or everyone got generic memories drawn from the same pool to cover any gaps.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
later in the book they fight multiple shards of the ctan known as the Deceiver, who has been deceiving them about stuff. personally. after they splat the shards into more, smaller shards, both continue to get deceived

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Personally I wouldnt believe anything someone named "The Deceiver" told me. Dumbass robots

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

Personally I wouldnt believe anything someone named "The Deceiver" told me. Dumbass robots

if you ask one of the shards if they're lying they have to tell the truth

silly old robots should've known this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Big twist: there never were necrontyr, the necrons were implanted with fake memories as a joke

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
What's great about the current Necrons is that the old 'crons are still there, just slightly-retconned to be tombworlds that got superfucked by the passage of time that left those dynasties as near-mechanical hollow shells driven by programming, or groups that got swindled back into the yoke of a C'tan shard

iirc there's even an army of old-crons who are stuck in a loop to the point where an Imperial world uses their perfectly-timed invasion to train troops on

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

No like, in real time. Like you sit in one place and watch an opera for thirty years as it depicts a five year war.

Edit: you wanna talk about predictable, let's talk about the alpha legion. They're the sneaky and duplicitous space marines, (don't think about it) that specialize in spy craft and perfectly orchestrated operations (seriously don't ask why the emperor engineered two edgelord sons and then thought "yeah you know what else I need, is twins that are pathological liars and sneaks")

They're unique among the traitor legions in that they never really went whole hog on the demon thing and went to ground in real space instead of fleeing into the eye of terror. They're infiltrated into imperial structures all over the place. Inquisitors facing them are specifically taught to bait them because they will at some point absolutely need to lord how clever they are over you. They need an evil puppet master speech or reveal and you can anticipate that.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 25, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they have yearlong conversational pauses

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Benagain posted:

No like, in real time. Like you sit in one place and watch an opera for thirty years as it depicts a five year war.

Edit: you wanna talk about predictable, let's talk about the alpha legion. They're the sneaky and duplicitous space marines, (don't think about it) that specialize in spy craft and perfectly orchestrated operations (seriously don't ask why the emperor engineered two edgelord sons and then thought "yeah you know what else I need, is twins that are pathological liars and sneaks")

They're unique among the traitor legions in that they never really went whole hog on the demon thing and went to ground in real space instead of fleeing into the eye of terror. They're infiltrated into imperial structures all over the place. Inquisitors facing them are specifically taught to bait them because they will at some point absolutely need to lord how clever they are over you. They need an evil puppet master speech or reveal and you can anticipate that.

There’s an Alpha Legion novel I love called Renegades: Harrowmaster, that’s about the leader of one AL warband gathering a bunch of other AL warband leaders together to say, “OK guys I know we are all extremely good at being secretive and mysterious. But at some point we need to actually fight and win a war”

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres like 12 edgelord primarchs. a majority, all in all. the sneaky ones, the incel one, the shiny vampire one, the chaos batman one, the loyalist batman one...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Sneaky Space Marines are one of my favorite dumb 40K ideas (right up there with the chainsword). This nine-foot tall man wearing a powered metal shell that weighs half a ton is a perfect choice for an infiltration or spy mission, let's make several whole chapters who do that.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Nah, the concept of sneaky Orks is better. They are colored purple, and have you ever seen a purple Ork? Didn't think so.

Edit: I figure its the same concept as the Orks that fight for the Imperium. Sure, to you and me they look like obvious giant green Orks, but they believe they are human so strongly humans see them as giant green people that just so happen to talk like Orks and pilot machines that shouldn't work.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Benagain posted:

There's a necron lord whose schtik is that he was one of the greatest generals they've ever known but is suffering from dementia and views all opponents as variations of battles he's already fought with no knowledge of his current state as a soulless robot. He'll do things like take captive generals back to the flagship to feast them in honor of their worthy combat and not in the way where they're all insane and eating each other, he just has a banquet for some poor imperial bastard who can't understand what's happening or why the robots have piles of food in front of them. He wins so much that no one has been able to coup him even though his underlings are sick of it. Well, plus he has an insanely competent and sane bodyguard.

He's been in a few short stories/books and it's heavily implied but not outright stated that the dementia is a ruse to downplay his competence enough so that he's not seen as a serious threat by any ruling dynasties.

For an entire book of Necrons being hilarious, may I recommend The Infinite And The Divine, which features everybody's favorite Trazyn the Infinite vs Orikan the Diviner as they attempt and fail to kill and/or embarrass each other over millions of years.

This owns, op