Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
wh40k races are good in direct proportion to how funny they are.

This is why the best races are orks, necrons, and humanity in a distant third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and the worst race is eldar. sounds about right

too bad eldar are the best in the tt mechanics

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i was thinking ork speed

The orks can't believe they got overtaken by the white scars, their one isn't even red.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeh but White is the color of death, and whats faster than death.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

terry pratchett posted:

The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary
Are there any books that discuss the Emperor as human and how he ascended? I'd love to read something about how Steve from Minnesota took the throne.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Choco Zulu posted:

Are there any books that discuss the Emperor as human and how he ascended? I'd love to read something about how Steve from Minnesota took the throne.

He’s Turkish.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just like santa claus

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Choco Zulu posted:

there was a pre-historic psyker orgy amongst some sheep herders in Anatolia

Big E spent 30k years hiding in the shadows until he was ready to shine. It was the Chaos God's faults that he didn't take over humanity earlier, he swears

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

limp_cheese posted:

There was an episode of Space Dandy that had a plot like this. I think it was a war over whether it was ok to just wear a vest or just underwaer. It raged for decades and ended up genociding both planets until there was only 1 alien on each side left. They continued to fight each other for decades, until Space Dandy and his crew tried to get them to sign peace accords to end it. Part of that peace accord was getting them to put on the other article of clothing. That was too much and they instead blew up both their planets and killed each other.

God drat was that show fun and weird. I wish I could have found a clip.

I love the episode where they dance until the universe implodes and then dance some more

Vampire Panties posted:

Big E spent 30k years hiding in the shadows until he was ready to shine. It was the Chaos God's faults that he didn't take over humanity earlier, he swears

It's been hinted occasionally that he tried a few times under various guises, that he may have been Jesus and/or Merlin.

Funny thing is one relatively recent retcon/theory/implication that I actually kinda like is some folks from the Heresy era worriedly theorising the Emperor's been bullshitting about even his vague mythic origins and there's no real evidence of his existence until well into the Dark Age of Technology, and what that could imply for what he really is.

Benagain posted:

No like, in real time. Like you sit in one place and watch an opera for thirty years as it depicts a five year war.

Edit: you wanna talk about predictable, let's talk about the alpha legion. They're the sneaky and duplicitous space marines, (don't think about it) that specialize in spy craft and perfectly orchestrated operations (seriously don't ask why the emperor engineered two edgelord sons and then thought "yeah you know what else I need, is twins that are pathological liars and sneaks")

They're unique among the traitor legions in that they never really went whole hog on the demon thing and went to ground in real space instead of fleeing into the eye of terror. They're infiltrated into imperial structures all over the place. Inquisitors facing them are specifically taught to bait them because they will at some point absolutely need to lord how clever they are over you. They need an evil puppet master speech or reveal and you can anticipate that.

Now I'm picturing Alpharius and Omegon having meant to have been Hank and Dean

Actually so much about the Emperor makes sense when you picture him as Dr Venture. Any of them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

that was many retcons ago, but not actually retconned

there has been a continual and strong effort to not actually give any serious details about the emperor. even as chaos beats on the last door of the siege of terra and malcador achieves quasi-omniscience as he burns on the throne and narrates the last of the siege of terra books, malcador still doesn't really know poo poo about the emperor. but the best books for that remain the last of the siege of terra books (the end and the death) and demski-bowden's book, the master of mankind.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Are any of the Horus Heresy books worth reading? I read a few of the first ones and didn't think they were very good, the first book kinda tried to set up sensible points of conflict between Horus and the Emperor and then other writers just went 'Horus got stabbed by a chaos knife so he's chaos now." Nothing about the betrayal felt believable or dramatic and the whole thing just fell flat to me. But since then the Horus Heresy has turned from a focused series into a whole sprawling franchise, and given its sprawliness maybe there are some parts that are good?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sturgeon's law applies hard to them.

you want authors. abnett is good, demski-bowden is good, wraight is good. mcneil is pretty 50/50

wraight is the architect of prolly the best retcon in all of gw: the white scars, from being a worthless mongol expy to being a worthwhile mongol expy

if you want specific books, horus rising but not the other two introductory books is good, know no fear, first heretic, scars, path of heaven, master of mankind, unremembered empire, betrayer, saturnine, warhawk, echoes of eternity. the end and the death is basically where abnett's editor gives up and says write how much you want and he writes 1750 pages over 3 volumes, but about 70% of it slaps so whatever

also not too bad is legion, thousand sons, prospero burns, mechanicum, angel exterminatus

they're prolly gonna try to fix the whole estimated-series-length-7-books-oops-wrote-70-books thing, which is why the fall is so sudden, in horus's primarch series book, which mcneil is doing so who knows

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 26, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I would say that if you enjoy reading about Space Marines, most of the Horus Heresy series is at least alright.
The only ones I'd call definite AVOIDS are anything written by Nick Kyme, Battle for the Abyss, Nemesis, and Damnation of Pythos. You can also easily skip the later short story collections

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they're prolly gonna try to fix the whole estimated-series-length-7-books-oops-wrote-70-books thing, which is why the fall is so sudden, in horus's primarch series book, which mcneil is doing so who knows

Once the series is properly over with the last primarch novel, I'd say it's about even odds that they continue onwards and do a series about The Scouring, or go back and do Horus Heresy Kai

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, nick kyme is the overall factotum editor of black library and he does a good job of editing. unfortunately he is also the personal reason why substantively much all vulkan and salamanders lore kinda sucks

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 26, 2024

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Gripweed posted:

There’s an Alpha Legion novel I love called Renegades: Harrowmaster, that’s about the leader of one AL warband gathering a bunch of other AL warband leaders together to say, “OK guys I know we are all extremely good at being secretive and mysterious. But at some point we need to actually fight and win a war”

There's an excerpt from it here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/1c1j9g2/renegades_harrowmaster_different_types_of_alpha/

Every different flavor of Alpha Legion, including:

• Renegades who don't worship Chaos
  • Khorne-worshipping bloodthirsty maniacs
  • Biological warfare experts
  • Advisors to Chaos-worshipping Guardsmen
  • Straight-up loyalists who see themselves as doing the Imperium's necessary dirty work
  • Traitors who feel guilty about being traitors

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really liked that part for meta reasons. It feels like as the old Legions got fleshed out the community has developed ideas about the “right” way to play/depict them in 40k. That part felt like a specific response to that, no, it’s been ten thousand years, everything’s gone weird. If you want to play tank corps Night Lords or melee Alpha Legion or Possessed Iron Warriors, you are valid.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The problem with the good heresy books is that’s it’s quite hard to say to someone that something like saturnine is incredible because it’s a book sitting almost at the end of a 70+ book series.

Saturnine is legitimately fantastic though and the audiobook is great.

If you wanted something early that’s good definitely first heretic, know no fear and betrayer are tight and related to each other.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, if you're not willing to dig through some dreck you wanna be reading the infinite and the divine, not heresy stuff

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
You pretty much can't go wrong with anything written by Robert Rath or Nate Crowley

Completely normal authors

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really liked Fulgrim, it did a great job showing the entire legion falling to Slaanesh by degrees so you actually see the logical progression they go down where at the end of it it makes total sense to be using bodily fluids as painting material, and it climaxes in a scene that's like what would happen if someone actually managed to stage The King in Yellow.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ChickenHeart posted:

You pretty much can't go wrong with anything written by Robert Rath or Nate Crowley

Are those different guys?

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Why is it that, in a lot of 40k artwork, the battlefields always seemed cramped and congested and there's just way too many loving dudes? Is there a reason for that? I know nothing of these games, but that's the one thing that always stood out to me: all the soldiers so crammed into every battle they're in.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Your Family posted:

Why is it that, in a lot of 40k artwork, the battlefields always seemed cramped and congested and there's just way too many loving dudes? Is there a reason for that? I know nothing of these games, but that's the one thing that always stood out to me: all the soldiers so crammed into every battle they're in.

They're playing a 10,000 point game on a 6 X 4 board

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They're playing a 10,000 point game on a 6 X 4 board

lol. accurate

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

still cute.

ChickenHeart posted:

i have the admech and original chaos christmas sweater. plus a bunch of the offcial art prints

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Your Family posted:

i always assume its forced perspective poo poo mixed with dumb metal as gently caress art.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
as it was the style at the time

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Your Family posted:

because it's cool

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Your Family posted:

It looks cool and it's the house style, but I think it started because they're trying to give you the idea that this is war fought on unimaginable scales. It's not at all uncommon for a single battle to have millions of people on each side.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Don't let Hollywood fool you, that's what war really looks like

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

It looks cool and it's the house style, but I think it started because they're trying to give you the idea that this is war fought on unimaginable scales. It's not at all uncommon for a single battle to have millions of people on each side.

they undersize the battles rather a lot

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I always figured the art looks like that because you only have so much space, physically, to show the art. Books, essentially.
Cram it all in since it's gotta fit on the cover!!!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

still cute.

i have the admech and original chaos christmas sweater. plus a bunch of the offcial art prints

THERES AN ADMECH CHRISTMAS SWEATER? WHERE

Edit: I have bought the admech Christmas sweater and an eldar one for my wife

Xun fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 26, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I miss when Necrons just hated literal existence enough they wanted it all dead.

Space Egyptians is fun i guess, but implaccable technonihilism was cool too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ZeusCannon posted:

I miss when Necrons just hated literal existence enough they wanted it all dead.

That’s still a thing, it’s called the Destroyer Cult. In Infinite and Divine there’s a group of like three Destroyer Cult guys who get stranded on a planet and decide to make the best of it and come up with a plan for how just the three of them will be able to annihilate all life on that planet in 8,000 years.

naem
May 29, 2011

Your Family posted:

it’s because all warhamm games irl take place either in your rich friend’s parents basement (on the pool table next to the washing machine) or in a small storage space sized storefront full of fat guys in a half empty strip mall on a series of folding tables and there is never enough space to lay out all the army man’s fully

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Third World Reagan posted:

yeah, this. it's just a style. it's very british 2000 ad, comic book art. i think it's pretty rad, personal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

I really liked that part for meta reasons. It feels like as the old Legions got fleshed out the community has developed ideas about the “right” way to play/depict them in 40k. That part felt like a specific response to that, no, it’s been ten thousand years, everything’s gone weird. If you want to play tank corps Night Lords or melee Alpha Legion or Possessed Iron Warriors, you are valid.

And all of those seem pretty fitting in the right light. Alpha Legion's whole thing is that they'll do literally anything if it's part of their Cunning Plan, and especially tank corps Night Lords because lol Batmobiles.

Third World Reagan posted:

I think it's also styled on certain kinds of classical paintings depicting battles where there's shitloads going on, and even similarly has lots of yellow smoke and dust clouds for negative space where there's not dudes with weapons.

Also remember these examples are mostly cover art and such, and they're showing off the entire factions involved specifically, not just individual characters. This is demonstrating, this is who these groups are, this is what they do, this is the kind of diversity they have in their forces. (Which may be a lot or a little)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

WH40K started out as a bunch of gags, then went grim grimdark and now they keep pulling back the grimdark to write not very good young adult fiction.

I get writing novels when everyone is dying, eating poo poo, or eating poo poo while dying is a bit of challenge, but it is what made the setting cool.