Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In full power armour wearing a Groucho Marx disguise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Your Family posted:

Why is it that, in a lot of 40k artwork, the battlefields always seemed cramped and congested and there's just way too many loving dudes? Is there a reason for that? I know nothing of these games, but that's the one thing that always stood out to me: all the soldiers so crammed into every battle they're in.

It’s because the feel of warhammer 40k has more in common with this:

than modern realistic warfare or hard sci-fi.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 27, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the geno 5-2 chiliad had actualfacts shako-looking things. could be bearskins

having models necesitates having bling. the maximum amount of bling in war was unquestionably the early modern era, being non-shooty enough that peeps didn't do camouflage but rich enough that peeps could afford bling. therefore, warhammer fantasy battle depicts the renaissance. therefore, warhammer 40k cribs from the renaissance. therefore, space conquistadors and space inquisitors and space tercios and such.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 27, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Vostroyan Firstborn have the full on Cossack furry hat look, plus gas masks. They're not shy about their influences.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Somebody earlier in the thread suggested Aaron Dembski-Bowden as one of the better fiction writers.
This is a fan animation of his novel Helsreach, about the Black Templars during the last War for Armageddon.
It uses the audiobook for the voice work.

Dembski-Bowden has said (on Twitter I think, I don't remember where) he's not supposed to talk about it, but he thinks it's pretty good.

It's also two and a half hours long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WGE1L6WKs

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It irrationally annoys me that Kor Phaeron almost killed Gully at Calth. Finally had to get that off my chest.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"almost" is always the word with primarchs. the sheer narrative-bending causality of a $60 - $150 figurine thats gotta be sold

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

A Good Username posted:

Somebody earlier in the thread suggested Aaron Dembski-Bowden as one of the better fiction writers.
This is a fan animation of his novel Helsreach, about the Black Templars during the last War for Armageddon.
It uses the audiobook for the voice work.

Dembski-Bowden has said (on Twitter I think, I don't remember where) he's not supposed to talk about it, but he thinks it's pretty good.

It's also two and a half hours long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WGE1L6WKs

This is pretty rad got any more?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr Teatime posted:

It’s because the feel of warhammer 40k has more in common with this:

than modern realistic warfare or hard sci-fi.

how did those french guys know what was going to happen 40,000 years in the future?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"almost" is always the word with primarchs. the sheer narrative-bending causality of a $60 - $150 figurine thats gotta be sold

There are a still a handful of primarchs unaccounted for after Lion returning from his weird mirror dimension. He got one of the better miniatures, maybe if Demon Lorgar or whoever shows up they'll get something of a similar quality.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There are a still a handful of primarchs unaccounted for after Lion returning from his weird mirror dimension. He got one of the better miniatures, maybe if Demon Lorgar or whoever shows up they'll get something of a similar quality.

the lion is gonna gently caress some poo poo up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bureaucracy man and sleepy johnson are the only loyalists who are back. russ, khan, vulkan, dorn and corax could all kramer back in if they sell enough, so it's most of the loyalists still being on deck. iirc they are also gonna have a non-resin fulgrim and a 40k perturabo and lorgar one of these days, for traitors (there are 30k perturabo and lorgar models, resin). maybe alpharius and omegon.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 28, 2024

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
i wonder if the reason the emperor never bothered to bond with his large sons is because they all had stupid names once he found them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he bonded great with horus lupercal, which is not an incredibly great name

just, uh, counted on bonding with just horus mainly

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What's the story with the little guys?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
'watchers in the dark'. some sanctioned-because-nobody-knows-about-them partly-extradimensional xenos who are inimically against the warp at least. there for the purposes of being little gremlins that help particularly important dark angels. scared the poo poo out of the changeling once

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

'watchers in the dark'. some sanctioned-because-nobody-knows-about-them partly-extradimensional xenos who are inimically against the warp at least. there for the purposes of being little gremlins that help particularly important dark angels. scared the poo poo out of the changeling once

Cool. There's a good "hosed up little guy" quotient in Warhammer.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Disco Pope posted:

Cool. There's a good "hosed up little guy" quotient in Warhammer.

Suffer not the xenos except these guys who are best friends of that guy.

No, we and they don’t care about the utter hypocrisy.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Playing a blood axe yoof in a rogue trader game who spends time between missions crawling through the ship murdering the gangs that live in the hull voids and poo poo.

He wears an orange hat with a cargo-8 manufactory logo on it and uses a flamer except its acid for flavor.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Lion el Johnson's story is hilarious cause hes just a crazy guy who keeps flying off the handle and punching people in the face

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they should make him the designated gay loyalist imo. obviously there's designated lgbtq chaos dudes / ex-dudes / never-dudes

lion: son of the forest does some work on that front but they should do more, and lampshade it more. no subtlety allowed, this is the setting with orbital drop castles

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also the real lionel johnson was a gigantic enormous weeb for ireland for various reasons and claimed he was part irish ethnicity, which is why he became catholic and had to reconcile that with being gay in the first place, so weave some weeb-for-eire in i guess

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Renreeja posted:

Lion el Johnson's story is hilarious cause hes just a crazy guy who keeps flying off the handle and punching people in the face

And in 40k his whole deal is “poo poo, that didn’t work. Maybe I should try being nice?”

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Gripweed posted:

And in 40k his whole deal is “poo poo, that didn’t work. Maybe I should try being nice?”

Which honestly kinda sucks since we already have Guilliman to be the boring generic Big Good Boss for all that his coming back helped settle the worst of the flat character accusations.

Lionel over here simply removing half of the already pretty thin on the ground dark angels story hooks ain't a huge amount better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Torchlighter posted:

Which honestly kinda sucks since we already have Guilliman to be the boring generic Big Good Boss for all that his coming back helped settle the worst of the flat character accusations.

Lionel over here simply removing half of the already pretty thin on the ground dark angels story hooks ain't a huge amount better.

nah it owns that Guilliman is single handedly reordering the Imperium and running this massive galaxy wide Crusade, desperately trying to hold back the darkness for one more day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98ImCbhjnI

and then the Lion comes back and decides to do the 40k equivalent of rebuilding an old car with his estranged sons.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how did those french guys know what was going to happen 40,000 years in the future?

War

War never changes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

War

War never changes

:hmmyes:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

midnight77 posted:

i wonder if the reason the emperor never bothered to bond with his large sons is because they all had stupid names once he found them.

Sometimes when I talk about primarchs I add in names from the MST3K episode with "Space Mutiny" like "Butch Deadlift" & "Punch Rockgroin" and nobody has ever corrected me.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How do space marines crap
Do they have special suit recyclers that feed them pee and poopoo back to them like in Dune

Or do they press a little button and a butt hatch opens up?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Don't try and tell me they take their armor pants all the way off to crap that seems exhausting

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Smugworth posted:

Do they have special suit recyclers that feed them pee and poopoo back to them like in Dune

Or do they press a little button and a butt hatch opens up?

There's a model of little guys who take the marine poo poo and give it little burials in turd catacombs on imperial poo poo worlds

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Smugworth posted:

Yes, this is canon

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ok so what am I missing about the chapters:

Space Rome/Greece
Space Mongols
Space Medieval Knights
Space Gladiators
Space Vlad the Impaler Wallachians
Space Vampires
Space Vikings
Space Egypt

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
You're forgetting the Space Cyborgs and the Evil Space Cyborgs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's also imperial knights themselves as space knights and crons as space egypt. and the drukhari love themselves some gladiatorial combat. they love doubling up on that poo poo, like macharius, who's the designated 40k alexander of macedon expy, complete with fighting diadochi after too-young death - but then the emperor is revealed in the heresy books to have actually been alexander of macedon the first time around

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Froghammer posted:

You're forgetting the Space Cyborgs and the Evil Space Cyborgs

Just Mundanely Evil Space Cyborgs and Flashily-Evil Space Cyborgs

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Sometimes when I talk about primarchs I add in names from the MST3K episode with "Space Mutiny" like "Butch Deadlift" & "Punch Rockgroin" and nobody has ever corrected me.

Thanks! I'm going to watch that right now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Eldar are a mix, they have some actual fey vibes and occasional Gaelic influences as well as being slightly Japanese with shuriken guns and katanas, and the Dark Eldar are very unseelie mixed with Romanesque debauchery and vampiric vibes. Also being aristocratic, cursed, fond of fancy vehicles and getting easily shot down, they have also been likened to Kennedys.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Beef Lobsterman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also being aristocratic, cursed, fond of fancy vehicles and getting easily shot down, they have also been likened to Kennedys.

Lmao, mon-keigh.