Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Vampire Panties posted:

One of my favorite parts of warhams is theyre will be things in the lore that are impossibly ancient, utterly indestructable, and completely irreplaceable

and then on the tabletop some Orkz will smash apart with choppaz

Ye old gameplay and story segregation. Same logic in how many RPGs literal gods who could destroy the universe are stopped by being reduced to zero hit points like the weakest enemies of the starting zone. In everyone's codex, they're unstoppable juggernauts who smash everything that dares oppose them, and every other side gets to get smashed to show off the qualities of the forces the codex is supporting. Then you switch to another one and now those juggernauts are getting smashed in turn.

Lots of "This weapon can cut through armor that should be able to stop moons from crushing its wearer like it's made of paper!" and "This guy picked up this demon who ate ten planets and piledrove him so hard he turned into an accordion!".

But you have to have some kind of balance in an actual GAME, so yeah, on the tabletop Orks smash 'em with choppas, which might literally be the most recent sharp and pointy thing they picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It kinda goes the other way with the Imperial Guard getting lots of jokes about how much they suck and their gear is cheap crap

One lasgun does diddly. Fifty lasguns though? That's a shitton of diddly.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
If I played tabletop, I'd play orks or imperial guard. Just throw as much cheap mass produced dakka and hiveworld flesh as you can until your enemy is dead.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

a shitton of diddly

naem
May 29, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Lots of "This weapon can cut through armor that should be able to stop moons from crushing its wearer like it's made of paper!" and "This guy picked up this demon who ate ten planets and piledrove him so hard he turned into an accordion!".

But you have to have some kind of balance in an actual GAME, so yeah, on the tabletop Orks smash 'em with choppas, which might literally be the most recent sharp and pointy thing they picked up.

the actual tabletop gameplay is really poorly thought out and not good or balanced at all and leads to “friends” who’ve a spent over a $1000 on toys they painted for hours arguing until they don’t want to hang out ever again

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

When I was first learning to play 40k I remember a group of my ork boyz getting into melee with a dreadnought or something.

Can I run away? No, not by choice.

Can I hurt it? No, my weapons literally could not.

Can I shoot it with my nearby unit with rokkits? No, you can't shoot into melee that has your own models (bullshit, orks would absolutely do that)

So I just had to sit there pointlessly while it clobbered me.

My first and forever tabletop love is Battletech, and that's partly because the rules allow for even a one-armed Stinger to kill an unhurt Dire Wolf if they get extremely lucky. It's never totally hopeless.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Also, titty_baby_ mentioned Warmachine and that's a game I wish had a bigger presence. Such a fun and flavorful game.

I wish there were more (any) true-to-life digital tabletop games so I could actually play them. I have a healthy game store a mile from my house, but time, money, and annoying dorks of in-person gaming make it very unappealing.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I played during the tail end of 3rd edition beginning of 4th. does tau still make the game utterly miserable for your opponent?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

Also, titty_baby_ mentioned Warmachine and that's a game I wish had a bigger presence. Such a fun and flavorful game.

I wish there were more (any) true-to-life digital tabletop games so I could actually play them. I have a healthy game store a mile from my house, but time, money, and annoying dorks of in-person gaming make it very unappealing.

tabletop simulator is really good for this.

also there are like a million historical and fantasy rulesets that arent GW. use your own models from wherever, your own terrain, etc. and just buy teh rulebook

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Eclipse12 posted:

Me and a bunch of my buddies used to play the heck out of warmachine and it owned for a while then the company started doing dumb AF poo poo and that killed the game for us (and a lot of people I think)

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Little known fact, while former president Donald J. Trump is often depicted as the Emperor of Mankind, he exclusively fielded Slaaneshi Chaos space marines at local tabletop games.

He also claimed to paint all his figures himself but anonymous sources say they were offered "large sums" to paint his armies for him (and never received said payment).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, Warmachine launched a new edition, squatted a bunch of factions, and then went full resin 3d printer for their production line. This led to sending uncured(like literally one of the first people to buy a box at Genxon reported that he had chemical burns all over his hands after putting them together that noght) and low quality resin minis to their most loyal fans and ended up killing the game faster than Fantasy Flight killed Xwing.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 28, 2024

naem
May 29, 2011

Eclipse12 posted:

https://youtu.be/1rDJSJ4uAb4?si=Np511AYCICKi_Jlo

fun play by play of other people playing video game mans

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, Warmachine launched a new edition, squatted a bunch of factions, and then went full resin 3d printer for their production line. This led to sending uncured(like literally one of the first people to buy a box at Genxon reported that he had chemical burns all over his hands after putting them together that noght) and low quality resin minis to their most loyal fans and ended up killing the game faster than Fantasy Flight killed Xwing.

That's a shame. They had a really cool product.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, Warmachine launched a new edition, squatted a bunch of factions, and then went full resin 3d printer for their production line. This led to sending uncured and low quality resin minis to their most loyal fans and ended up killing the game faster than Fantasy Flight killed Xwing.

I think the game was on the decline even before this. The chopping up of factions into the themes never sat well with me.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

zooted heh posted:

I played during the tail end of 3rd edition beginning of 4th. does tau still make the game utterly miserable for your opponent?

I think their hat is still generally 'mediocre at close range, much better at long range', but whether it's to a 'miserable' degree I don't know. I think the current game is based around being able to rapidly move troops around, whether they are melee or ranged?

naem posted:

the actual tabletop gameplay is really poorly thought out and not good or balanced at all and leads to “friends” who’ve a spent over a $1000 on toys they painted for hours arguing until they don’t want to hang out ever again

Then they aren't friends you need. Or friends at all, really. A person who treats doing badly in a highly luck based game as a personal attack on themselves is someone that deserves to be left with their expensive toys and no one to interact with unless they learn or try and work on themselves. Though this is the case for just about any fandom: Warhammer just also has people missing the point and thinking that because you can field superhumans with guns that shoot grenades that create black holes and swing swords that can cleave mountains, that space fascism is equally awesome.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 28, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think their hat is still generally 'mediocre at close range, much better at long range', but whether it's to a 'miserable' degree I don't know. I think the current game is based around being able to rapidly move troops around, whether they are melee or ranged?

If you want more details, youtube is here to deliver a report from the world's biggest nerd explaining the stats of the current meta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLlL2ouaqn8

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Smugworth posted:

Little known fact, while former president Donald J. Trump is often depicted as the Emperor of Mankind, he exclusively fielded Slaaneshi Chaos space marines at local tabletop games.

He also claimed to paint all his figures himself but anonymous sources say they were offered "large sums" to paint his armies for him (and never received said payment).

Checks out tbh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cornwind Evil posted:

Ye old gameplay and story segregation. Same logic in how many RPGs literal gods who could destroy the universe are stopped by being reduced to zero hit points like the weakest enemies of the starting zone. In everyone's codex, they're unstoppable juggernauts who smash everything that dares oppose them, and every other side gets to get smashed to show off the qualities of the forces the codex is supporting. Then you switch to another one and now those juggernauts are getting smashed in turn.

It's also part of The Joke

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

LanceHunter posted:

If you want more details, youtube is here to deliver a report from the world's biggest nerd explaining the stats of the current meta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLlL2ouaqn8

half hour video for a top ten list? :commissar:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

orks is da best

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I’ve always felt that Chaos was the lamest part of both Warhammer settings. In theory they’re supposed to be dark reflections of humanity’s basest emotions, blah blah, but in practice they’re just four flavors of murderous psychopath. Their existence undercuts what little remains of the setting’s satire, as space fascism doesn’t seem so bad when there really ARE soul-eating demons out there.

They’re stupidly edgy, they’re unassailable, and they’re BORING.

If it were up to me, the Chaos gods would be a background element that sometimes pops up and burns itself out rather than the primary antagonist of the setting. I’d make the main conflict the Imperium vs xenos and Imperium vs itself, emphasizing how dogmatism and inflexibility make the Imperium its own worst enemy.

But given how baked-in Chaos is, that’s probably a completely different setting at that point.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

apathy is a new chaos god and you are feeding it right now

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

It would just help if Chaos wasn't all about murder. Tzeentch is maybe the least murdery, but they also don't seem to show up a lot. Even Slaanesh, who is supposedly all about indulgence, always ends up having that indulgence culminate in death.

I want beautiful art... that makes people kill!
I want beautiful music... that makes people kill!
I want delicious food, etc etc

Not EVERYTHING is a blood orgy guys. Yeesh.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
in one of the books the protagonists find a very old human spaceship from the golden age of technology and they are in awe/horrified at the interior design and echnologic level. the onboard AI also taunts them and hacks their power armour lol

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

I cannot imagine how badly he would cheat at dice

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I’ve always felt that Chaos was the lamest part of both Warhammer settings. In theory they’re supposed to be dark reflections of humanity’s basest emotions, blah blah, but in practice they’re just four flavors of murderous psychopath. Their existence undercuts what little remains of the setting’s satire, as space fascism doesn’t seem so bad when there really ARE soul-eating demons out there.

If it were up to me, the Chaos gods would be a background element that sometimes pops up and burns itself out rather than the primary antagonist of the setting. I’d make the main conflict the Imperium vs xenos and Imperium vs itself, emphasizing how dogmatism and inflexibility make the Imperium its own worst enemy.

But given how baked-in Chaos is, that’s probably a completely different setting at that point.

Tbf Chaos was on a backburner for 20ish years while Gee-Dub introduced new armies. Then they sued someone for IP infringement and lost so loving badly they had to rename all their space elves Aeldari. Since then they've been fleshing out the various armies and rebuilding Chaos as the main antagonist to the setting. They also had a shitload of paperback books come out that nerd-splained all of the gory details of the Horus Heresy, so a lot of people are back into Chaos

edit

as part of the IP fuckup of the century, they killed Fantasy battles and launched not-marines in AoS. Thats been a lovely clusterfuck so now they're re-relaunching Fantasy battles and it looks pretty sweet. Fantasy always had the best models from Gee-Dub

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 28, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
age of sigmar does 30% of sales, warhammer fantasy, when it was a thing, did sub-10%. the old world is being released because they got grognards on staff, too. aos 1st ed was a mess rules-wise (mustache rule and all) but a complete revivification of the line sales-wise. can't really be credibly called a fuckup

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 28, 2024

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Just found out GW was started by 3 dudes in London

Makes sense why they're so effed up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what i mean by the mustache rule is this

quote:

Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg's skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent.

or longbeard rules

quote:

Old Grumblers: In your hero phase, you can complain about something in a suitably Dwarfish manner. For example, the hardships you endured when you were younger, how the youth of today don't respect their elders, how expensive beer is etc. If you do, this unit of Longbeards will join in and you can pick one of the grumblings listed below. The effects last until your next hero phase.

they shipped this in 2015

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

How can we make your opponent more insufferable to play against???

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
sounds like fun rules you don't need to take seriously

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Chaos owns actually and its not that fascism is necessary because of chaos it’s that literal skull collecting blood berserkers and guys made mainly out of tentacles are somehow less horrifying than the fascist dystopia that is the imperium. It’s also explicitly clear in the setting that the imperium is its own worst enemy and how poo poo it is drives people towards chaos.

Space fascism is worse than chaos and that’s the joke.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mr Teatime posted:

Chaos owns actually and its not that fascism is necessary because of chaos it’s that literal skull collecting blood berserkers and guys made mainly out of tentacles are somehow less horrifying than the fascist dystopia that is the imperium. It’s also explicitly clear in the setting that the imperium is its own worst enemy and how poo poo it is drives people towards chaos.

Being corrupted by Nurgle might turn you into a tentacle monster but it also stops you from feeling any pain so it's actually a pretty sweet deal.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Being corrupted by Nurgle might turn you into a tentacle monster but it also stops you from feeling any pain so it's actually a pretty sweet deal.

You also get free pets

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mr Teatime posted:

there is a cool animation where some Imperial planet is attacked by dark elves and things are going badly so they put out a distress call to a Space Marine faction that rescued the planet a long time ago

then it turns out the Space Marine faction is Iron Warriors (chaos bad dudes) and the planet realizes its hosed

Warhammer 40k: No Good Answers

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

GolfHole posted:

orks is da best

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Y'all doin some heresy in here?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

sounds like fun rules you don't need to take seriously

Thing is when you're expecting to use these with several thousand dollars worth of carefully assembled and painted plastic, goofy beer and pretzels doesn't really fit the vibe

Age of Sigmar started actually selling when they changed management and released a second edition that got rid of all that poo poo and basically reorganised everything desperately trying to be an actual game.

Mr Teatime posted:

Took me a while to get that the most dangerous Chaos forces are the Space Marines who defected because they weren't being treated as special and great enough by the Imperium

Also the holy books of the Imperium and Chaos are literally written by the same guy

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Vampire Panties posted:

there is a cool animation where some Imperial planet is attacked by dark elves and things are going badly so they put out a distress call to a Space Marine faction that rescued the planet a long time ago

then it turns out the Space Marine faction is Iron Warriors (chaos bad dudes) and the planet realizes its hosed

Warhammer 40k: No Good Answers
There's a planet that was actually saved by the Silver Skulls space marine chapter. They had statues and stained glass depicting their saviors, the slim, tall, silver space marines wearing skull helmets. The Inquisition realized they depicted the army of the Necron Trazyn the Infinite, and removed the statue depicting him. Trazyn stole the statue back cause it was his statue.

My favorite part is there does exist a Silver Skulls space marine chapter which someone on the planet would have heard of, and they just see these big silver things with skulls for heads show up to utterly dunk the invading Orks, and they just put two and two together.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Smugworth posted:

Just found out GW was started by 3 dudes in London

Makes sense why they're so effed up

It’s a miracle that there isn’t even more weird fetish content in the game. Truly amazing levels of restraint.