Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Crazy Achmed posted:

How do the orks achieve ftl travel, then?

If it’s red, it’s gonna go faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Orks intrinsically know how to build incredible tech out of literal scrap, it’s built into them. There’s 50/50 on how much of it works because of collective ork belief that it just will vs actual engineering.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr Teatime posted:

Orks intrinsically know how to build incredible tech out of literal scrap, it’s built into them. There’s 50/50 on how much of it works because of collective ork belief that it just will vs actual engineering.

My favorite Ork is the one who went into the Warp, somehow killed himself for his favorite weapon, now he has two of it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my favorite ork's dick is huge

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

my favorite ork's dick is huge

It is very red and the longest part of a Airplane

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Hmm. Can orks be corrupted by Chaos? I've never heard of Chaos Orks.

Just one more reason orks is best.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Eclipse12 posted:

Don't believe so. I think it has something to do with their gods iirc, they apparently beat the poo poo out of the chaos gods.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Eclipse12 posted:

Orks only worship Gork or Mork

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Eclipse12 posted:

There was an Ork who fought a demon in the Warp and liked it so much that he jumped his ship into the Eye of Terror (Chaos homeland) to fight more demons. He led his Waaugh against demon planets, until they went to a big-bad demon planet and all died. Khorne liked them so much that they rose up the next day, and they immediately got back to krumpin. They fought and died and rose up again, over and over, until Khorne was so pleased that he transported them to his throne world where they fight demons eternally under his watch.

they arent aligned or allied with Chaos, they just love fighting

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Eclipse12 posted:

Orks are incorruptible. Chaos hates them actually because they can't be possessed. Plus Gork and Mork are real and strong and every Ork, Grot, and Snot believes in them completely.

Ghazghkull Thraka headbutted a demon so hard it went home and abandoned a space hulk. This was remarked upon by Makari as being exceptionally cool because he hit the demon with the thing he thinks with, exemplifying gork's brutality and mork's cunning (or is that the other way round? )

Slaanesh can't corrupt them because they're dickless and they like fighting more than anything.

Khorne has nothing to offer that they can't get themselves.

They're really tough to poison or disease, so Papa Nurgle mostly ignores them, though I think he just digs that they're a form of rot since they're fungus. Game recognize game and all that.

Tzeentch is a fuckin nerd. Orkz is already the toughest.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 30, 2024

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
An element of 40K lore I like a lot is that Genestealers canonically only really work on humans because we have just the right combination of being a biological species (unlike the Necrons), with rapid reproduction rates to spread quickly (unlike the Eldar), a society not so dysfunctional that the cults can really take off and have wide influence to entrench themselves and spread further without the members being randomly killed in petty conflicts (unlike the Orks), but also not so well organized that abnormalities and infections are quickly noticed and rooted out (unlike the Tau), and finally no great species wide psychic connection, or intrinsic ability to detect genetic abnormalities that causes hybrids to stand out like a sore thumb (unlike the Orks, Tau and Eldar, again, and the Kroot too).

Basically humanity is like some kind of unsuspecting new host to some spectacularly highly evolved tapeworm against which we've evolved no resistance to yet.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Crazy Achmed posted:

How do the orks achieve ftl travel, then?

Most everything that lets the species in the universe break the laws of physics, space and time is basically fueled by belief and willpower. The Tyranids are a singular hive mind with no deviance so they just brute force their way through, while humanity is fallible and full of flaws so like any machine, many things can go wrong and end in disaster. Orks are much more like tyranids, capable of a literal mob mentality that warps reality itself, something that was literally built into them by their creators.

Not WHOLLY ENTIRELY though. I do think it is POSSIBLE for Orks to experience doubt and fear, even in large groups. It takes something EXCEPTIONAL, but it can be done. Tyranids cannot, in any way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Orks can't of FTL travel just through the Waaaugh. They need a ship of some kind. Typically they use Space Hulks because that's easy and there's usually some unimaginable cosmic horror in there they can fight along the way.

Tyranids have a bioship called a Narwhal that creates some kind of compressed space effect thing, it flies at the front of the hivefleet and the other bioships follow in it's wake

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Orkz make the transition to the warp by all of them chanting " 'Ere we go, 'Ere we go" until they jump.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think it all makes sense through the lens of a bunch of nerdy teenagers in the UK during the 80s. Imperium are angry white people who voted for thatcher, eldar are snooty rich people gentrifying all the nice neighbourhoods, orks are students, punks, and common folk at a football game just out to face a good time

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 30, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Orks also like to bolt giant effigies of toothy maws onto the front of their hulks to scare the daemons away, and since that's exactly the logic both daemons and orks work on, it sometimes works. Or they just get in-flight entertainment.

Apparently GW occasionally concedes that Chaos corrupted Orks can happen, but it's pretty rare and also usually pretty hard to tell them apart from regular Orks anyway, especially in the case of Khorne. Gork and Mork just already fill their spiritual needs perfectly.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i like the imperium because its a "realistic" galactic empire if it got big and powerful enough that it kinda whiped out its rivals and is now just dying a slow death with no one at the wheel. its decadent slowly dying shithole that hosed itself 10k years ago because Big E bought into his own bullshit to hard. one of my favorite backtory details is that the horus heresy(the big imperium civil war in the yee old past) was planned to a degree, the primarchs who were gently caress up morons or super monsters were gonna eventually turn against Big E and then get wipped out by the better ones. the issue is his favorite betrayed him

Yeah, there's some heavy implications that the Space Marines were meant to be temporary and had a built-in expiration date, like the Thunder Warriors before them, and suggestions that the pre-Heresy Space Wolves were a legion built around wiping out other Space Marines for that purpose. The whole deal they have about being the Emperor's chosen warriors who will not know fear and all that poo poo basically makes them extra prone to falling to Chaos out of pride, entitlement and spite if they feel they aren't getting the respect they deserve. There's also some theories that the Golden Throne was meant to have Magnus the Red plugged into it permanently rather than the Emperor himself.

Of course everything went so badly wrong and no one even knows what the plan was, because Big E is just wonderful at communicating and delegating. They have a hard enough time stopping the Imperium's own leadership from running it even more into the ground than before, because every time someone gets enough power they immediately go completely mad with it and set half the Imperium against itself again. And then there's poo poo that's apparently had a huge impact in the setting but was so dire it's only vaguely talked about, like The Harrowing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Realistic is probably too strong a word but something I really like about the Imperium (and galaxy in general) is that, compared to the vast majority of sci-fi settings, it somewhat approaches the kind of scale that should exit but which you usually don't get in other major sci-fi franchises with things like the Empire in Star Wars or the Federation in Star Trek. You really do get the impression that the Imperium and the rest of the Galaxy is absolutely ginormous and so large and complex it can't really be understood by anyone, let alone the central bureaucracy, and accordingly has an absurdly byzantine political system with a vast array of different factions doing their own thing that differ vastly in things like culture, philosophy and motivation.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I love Gork because they are brutally cunning, but I also love Mork because they are Cunning Brutal

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Orks also like to bolt giant effigies of toothy maws onto the front of their hulks to scare the daemons away, and since that's exactly the logic both daemons and orks work on, it sometimes works. Or they just get in-flight entertainment.

Apparently GW occasionally concedes that Chaos corrupted Orks can happen, but it's pretty rare and also usually pretty hard to tell them apart from regular Orks anyway, especially in the case of Khorne. Gork and Mork just already fill their spiritual needs perfectly.

Yeah, there's some heavy implications that the Space Marines were meant to be temporary and had a built-in expiration date, like the Thunder Warriors before them, and suggestions that the pre-Heresy Space Wolves were a legion built around wiping out other Space Marines for that purpose. The whole deal they have about being the Emperor's chosen warriors who will not know fear and all that poo poo basically makes them extra prone to falling to Chaos out of pride, entitlement and spite if they feel they aren't getting the respect they deserve. There's also some theories that the Golden Throne was meant to have Magnus the Red plugged into it permanently rather than the Emperor himself.

Of course everything went so badly wrong and no one even knows what the plan was, because Big E is just wonderful at communicating and delegating. They have a hard enough time stopping the Imperium's own leadership from running it even more into the ground than before, because every time someone gets enough power they immediately go completely mad with it and set half the Imperium against itself again. And then there's poo poo that's apparently had a huge impact in the setting but was so dire it's only vaguely talked about, like The Harrowing.

Big E was a paranoid weirdo but there were a few people who knew the plan, like Malcador The Sigilite, but they all died before passing along any of their knowledge.

Primarchs flipping out and burning down anything remotely do with the Heresy in the aftermath of the siege of Terra didnt help things

naem
May 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

Orkz make the transition to the warp by all of them chanting " 'Ere we go, 'Ere we go" until they jump.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Orkz are the coolest concept in 40k by such a huge margin it isn't even funny

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

verbal enema posted:

Orkz are the coolest concept in 40k by such a huge margin it isn't even funny

Orks just love fightin!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Orks read "The Secret" and took it too drat serious

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

Orks read "The Secret" and took it too drat serious

Orks can't read.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

possessed orks were part of the original army lists alongside the teenage rebellion orks that wear uniforms and fight in orderly formation. But the uniforms were based on SS uniforms so they got a revamp.

Orks don't have enough of a connection to the warp to be controlled by the demon, so the ork gets ball this power but the demon is just along for the ride. Eventually b driving b them insane.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

But the uniforms were based on SS uniforms so they got a revamp.

lmao loving of course

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Should be pointed out that they were very much a punchline and all the other orks explicitly thought they were dumb as poo poo. It was a very 80s way of laughing at nazis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Orks don't have enough of a connection to the warp to be controlled by the demon, so the ork gets ball this power but the demon is just along for the ride. Eventually b driving b them insane.

How do you even tell

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

My favorite Ork is the one who went into the Warp, somehow killed himself for his favorite weapon, now he has two of it

"My Favorite Ork" sounds like a parody TV show

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

in one of the books the protagonists find a very old human spaceship from the golden age of technology and they are in awe/horrified at the interior design and echnologic level. the onboard AI also taunts them and hacks their power armour lol

I used to leave 40K lore videos on to play in the background while I was doing things, and that's the only story that stuck with me. The space marines were all uncomfortable and confused inside the old spaceship because it was minimalist and sleek and not covered in skulls. They, of course, interrogated and executed the crew, which pissed the AI off. It told them mankind was a shadow of it's former self and they could all gently caress off forever and then left on its own, never to be seen again. That ship probably could have been a turning point for the Imperium if they weren't all murderous edgyboys.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Vampire Panties posted:

There was an Ork who fought a demon in the Warp and liked it so much that he jumped his ship into the Eye of Terror (Chaos homeland) to fight more demons. He led his Waaugh against demon planets, until they went to a big-bad demon planet and all died. Khorne liked them so much that they rose up the next day, and they immediately got back to krumpin. They fought and died and rose up again, over and over, until Khorne was so pleased that he transported them to his throne world where they fight demons eternally under his watch.

they arent aligned or allied with Chaos, they just love fighting

Its one of my favorite stories. They found Ork Nirvana.

And since Orks are Orks this doesn't make any of them fall to Khorne. It just makes them want to go join that WAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I used to leave 40K lore videos on to play in the background while I was doing things, and that's the only story that stuck with me. The space marines were all uncomfortable and confused inside the old spaceship because it was minimalist and sleek and not covered in skulls. They, of course, interrogated and executed the crew, which pissed the AI off. It told them mankind was a shadow of it's former self and they could all gently caress off forever and then left on its own, never to be seen again. That ship probably could have been a turning point for the Imperium if they weren't all murderous edgyboys.

Those lore videos sound like good listening, do you have a channel name or something?

:lol: the Space Marine motto might as well be "Brawndo: It's what plants crave!"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Those lore videos sound like good listening, do you have a channel name or something?

:lol: the Space Marine motto might as well be "Brawndo: It's what plants crave!"

https://www.youtube.com/@IsyanderandKoda/videos

Isyander and Koda have got me back into it. They're chill and they're not loud or obnoxious like 99% of content creators.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

My Dad the Ork!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Iirc another reason ork society is really resistant to corruption from chaos/stealers is that anyone acting sufficiently un-orky is swiftly dealt with

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh yeah, Orks are looking for literally any excuse for a fight as a ground state, they'll start civil wars over the silliest poo poo if they're left to their own devices, and anyone easily designated as an Other is a very easy target for that belligerence. Orks may be the comic relief but they're still plenty of kinds of horrifying; for one, they have no concept of a civilian or noncombatant.

One more funny thing is that out of every faction's giant robots, Ork Gargants are, arguably, actually the most practical and sensible designs; they tend to have large feet or treads to spread out their weight and avoid sinking into the ground, often armored skirts to protect the moving parts, and large crews with dedicated teams for individual sections and systems. They also function as walking avatars of Gork and Mork, locuses of WAAAAAAAGH! energy that inspire and entertain all Orks on the battlefield.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Just read about penitent engines and... yikes.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
once the emperor wakes up from his stupor he's going to be so disappointed

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*from one of the planets that thinks gold is too soft to use for building*

oh hes got a gold chair huh... hmmm.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Mork was from Ork.