Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Gaunts Ghost books are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Eclipse12 posted:

My wife likes this series.

It's certainly a different vibe, being with the expendable and vulnerable Guard compared to the IMMORTAL BADASS ASTARTES.

It's very enjoyable. Abnett is a decent enough writer and there are some interesting characters in the books.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

olylifter posted:

it's also canon that there's an ongoing war within the various bureaucracies in the Imperium about this subject

also now there's an enormous rift in the middle of everything and like half the galaxy is inaccessible to the other half. poo poo is hitting the fan

Wait did they move the 40k story forward some?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Huh that's crazy. Maybe I'll read up on it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

man it was so weird to hear GW smashed the glass on the "bring smurf king back from the dead" button. and I saw some weird-rear end new models, and some really lovely looking new dreadnoughts. giving dreadnoughts actual proportional limbs and thighs and poo poo? the gently caress? 40k jumped the space shark

I went to their website to look at all the new models and like 60% of them are like "Not available".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh drat GW ended Forgeworld. What the gently caress. I remember the Horus Heresy books and models looking amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gripweed posted:

You know you can go to a Warhammer store and get a free painting tutorial, right?

the Judge Dredd guys are back

Is that from Necromunda

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Do Tau fall to Chaos. I forget.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I wish they'd reprint the old 40k 1st edition and 2nd edition books or at least make them PDFs. Maybe their PDFs on Drive Through RPG. Anyway they were loving amazing books.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reading old 2000AD is fun because you can see where Warhammer got it all from in the first place. Nemesis the Warlock is pretty much where they nicked everything from. Also a fun one where the humans are antagonists, and the hero is the titular warlock who clowns on their xenophobic theocracy and I'm pretty sure fucks human women. And he's a magic alien space dragon.

Games Workshop from what I can remember actually made Judge Dredd figures.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I played Warhammer fantasy with someone who had a huge temper. He played high elves, and one time, his dragon riding elf died, so he picked it up and threw it across the store. It shattered into dozens of pieces because this was when they were made of metal

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

A old game but good one was Warhammer: Shadow of the horned rat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I saw two teenagers get in a fight over 2nd edition 40k , like a physical fight and one of them kick flipped the other and then did a kip up. Also the owner of the store tried to give one of them a switchblade to use in the fight.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

wasn't there a bit in the really old books about how the emperor was like, constantly fuckin', like every planet he went to he was getting it on with the locals, which resulted in dozens if not hundreds of literal emperor's children in the galaxy and then there was some secret society tasked with hunting them all down

Yeah there was. This is the origin if I'm remembering right of blanks or people who have no psychic presence or some poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

olylifter posted:

did you used to hang out at the GW on Queen West when Logan ran it, or even better, Alternate Gravity when he moved over after workshop canned him? poo poo got weird at both places, that was all during 2nd edition, I could have seen that happening there.

Nah this was 31 years ago in small town USA

I have lots of stories like that my favorite is how one of the older guys invited everyone over to his house to play 40k and then put on a homemade video tape of him loving his wife

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They've really cut back on the boobs in the game. Especially on a lot of the older models like the Daemonettes. Who's to say if that is good or bad. Also a lot of the old artwork had boobs in it especially some of the Chaos stuff. Now its not so much. Slaanesh is now like a weird crab people or some poo poo.

Anyway the best 40k experience was having Tigurius teleport and then cast vortex or the Vindicator Assassin shoot his shield breaker at the enemy Farseer.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 6, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It can't be understated how horrible it was to play against Eldar in 2nd edition of 40k.

I still get irrationally angry when I think about pop up attacks

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Warhammer Fantasy just required so many models. Skaven were loving cool as hell though.

Like just a ridiculous number. I remember I played Chaos Dwarves and friend played Wood Elves.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I do t think they've actually even said what the 40k show would be buts it'd be dumb to not just make it the Gaunts ghosts series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It can't be understated how loving hilarious the GW lawsuit was. They lost so badly they had to rename everything. I'm sure someone else could explain it better than me but it is loving hilarious loving failure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

grobbo posted:

Let's be real, no 40k film will ever surpass the live-action made-in-a-basement achievements of the 1990s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7q47BDMBw

Oh wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Your Family posted:

Why is it that, in a lot of 40k artwork, the battlefields always seemed cramped and congested and there's just way too many loving dudes? Is there a reason for that? I know nothing of these games, but that's the one thing that always stood out to me: all the soldiers so crammed into every battle they're in.

They're playing a 10,000 point game on a 6 X 4 board