Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Vampire Panties posted:

There was an Ork who fought a demon in the Warp and liked it so much that he jumped his ship into the Eye of Terror (Chaos homeland) to fight more demons. He led his Waaugh against demon planets, until they went to a big-bad demon planet and all died. Khorne liked them so much that they rose up the next day, and they immediately got back to krumpin. They fought and died and rose up again, over and over, until Khorne was so pleased that he transported them to his throne world where they fight demons eternally under his watch.

they arent aligned or allied with Chaos, they just love fighting

Its one of my favorite stories. They found Ork Nirvana.

And since Orks are Orks this doesn't make any of them fall to Khorne. It just makes them want to go join that WAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I got into WH40k through the Dawn of War games so the Blood Ravens are my favorite chapter. Gabriel Angelos is such a great character, and listening to him say Ork names in a serious and proper voice is always hilarious.

Its also been hinted that they are a loyal chapter of The Thousand Sons legion because they have so many psykers and guard information zealously. Their motto is after all "Knowledge is power. Guard it well."

The Dawn of War games are great, except for Soulstorm and Dawn of War 3. Soulstorm does have the Sister of Battle as a playable race so it isn't all bad. Otherwise the writing is good, delivery is outstanding, gameplay is fun, and the graphics are not terrible in the early games.

The thing I love most about them is their other nickname, "The Bloody Thieving Magpies!!" They steal so much from other Space Marine chapters it would impress an Ork. Motherfuckers somehow stole a suit of Custodes Power Armor. Their weapon descriptions in game will mention how the weapon is from another chapter, but the chapter denies every loaning it to them and has been looking for it. These crazy assholes stole Bjorn The Fel-Handed (lovely but the only version of the story that still existed)! And I'm pretty sure if you had these guys as an actual tabletop army you were expected to use models from other armies, paint them like they should be painted or buy them already painted from someone else, then paint a lovely Blood Raven coat on top of it before fielding them.

God I love the Blood Ravens.

Edit: I want to mention that because the universe is so big and varied its easy for good fan stories to pop up. Like the Ork that won so many battles he grew to the size of a planet and floats through space looking for another fight. How can he breathe in space? Well, he's an Ork, and he believes he can breathe in space.

Or some of the Chaos marines. The 2 I'm thinking of are everyone's best friend Kharn the Betrayer, and a noise marine that spends all his time riding around on a motorcycle that's blasting music at deadly levels while doing super cocaine, emga heroin, and krokodil. Dude doesn't want to fight, just party as hard as inhumanly possible.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 30, 2024

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The Ciaphas Cain books are really good. Dude's a legitimate hero of the Imperium and is a coward that constantly tries to stay out of combat. He does deserve most of the accolades he gets though because he is legit good at fighting. Would just rather be sitting in a nice room, far from battle, with whiskey, good food, and maybe a woman for company.

He also constantly gets sent into the worst poo poo because of his reputation, and can't say no to suicide missions because it would destroy his reputation. Its a fun character in a series full of edgy grimdark. He'll even work with xenos if he has to without many qualms.

His aide Jurgen is such a fun character. Every description of him talks about what a slovenly, smelly, dim witted, disgusting excuse for a man he is, but he has saved Cain's life countless times and is his closest friend. He smells worse than a demon of Nurgle and there is no one you would rather have by your side.

Its too bad its drat near impossible to find physical copies of the 3rd omnibus. The 1st one is easy enough too find but the 2nd is quite expensive.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ciaphas Cain is famously pretty much Flashman 40k, but hey, steal from the best.

Absolutely, although I would say Ciaphis is better than Flashman since it doesn't have all the problematic poo poo that's in Flashman. Plus Ciaphis is actually likable and easy to root for. He's not an irredeemable piece of human garbage like Flashman.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

so there's 2 primarchs that are back and ready to gently caress, is Vulkan still alive? last I heard he was captured and being tortured or something? so there's 3 maybe. who else could come back? Russ? that would be sick as hell, flying out of the warp with some screeching guitars playing

I'm pretty sure the Dark Eldar have a Primarch they captured in order to torture him for all eternity.

Maybe that's Vulkan but I want to say it's someone else.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

If the Cavill show isn't just the Caiphas Cain books then what's the point?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Make the show about Eisonhorn and bring in Urban to play him using his Judge Dredd scowl. Even better if they find a way to make Eisonhorn wear a helmet.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, I assume with Chaos the tired "I identify as an attack helicopter!" joke isn't really a joke.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Benagain posted:

Okay that's almost perfect for 40k, just make it two planets and they start a small religious war 100 years later over red vs white undergarments.

There was an episode of Space Dandy that had a plot like this. I think it was a war over whether it was ok to just wear a vest or just underwaer. It raged for decades and ended up genociding both planets until there was only 1 alien on each side left. They continued to fight each other for decades, until Space Dandy and his crew tried to get them to sign peace accords to end it. Part of that peace accord was getting them to put on the other article of clothing. That was too much and they instead blew up both their planets and killed each other.

God drat was that show fun and weird. I wish I could have found a clip.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nah, the concept of sneaky Orks is better. They are colored purple, and have you ever seen a purple Ork? Didn't think so.

Edit: I figure its the same concept as the Orks that fight for the Imperium. Sure, to you and me they look like obvious giant green Orks, but they believe they are human so strongly humans see them as giant green people that just so happen to talk like Orks and pilot machines that shouldn't work.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 25, 2024

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, the best part of 40k is everything is so large that anything you can think of is happening. It's a setting where you can have Commissars be the beacons of Imperial might that run head first into the worst fights and being uncorruptable, while also having a giant coward like Cain around.

There's also so many Space Marine chapters you can find whatever your heart desires. Mad Vikings that get drunk and fight each other? Go nuts. Super serious and grimdark guys who seem to have the shittiest luck and get hosed over every opportunity? Why not? Boring but insanely competent guys who are the white bread of Space Marines? Of course. A loyalist chapter that steals everything that isn't nailed to the ground, including the machine that nails things to the ground, to such an extreme an Ork would be impressed? Why are you even asking, of course!

it's a world of pure imagination

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Benagain posted:

Yeah the lore is set up so that any faction can fight any other faction including themselves so you never have to worry about lore conflicts. Guardsmen vs space Marines? Don't even need to have one side be outright chaos just have a dispute about local taxes escalate. Space Marines vs space marines? Somebody insulted someone else and now Honor is at stake. Or ancient tech or a chapter secret etc etc

Yup. In the game Dark Crusade Imperial Guard fight Space Marines, and the reason why is because of a dispute over who is at the top of the chain or command. The Marines told the Guard to leave the planet, the Guard said gently caress you this planet is their's by Imperial Decree, so fighting was the natural outcome.

Probably the same thing in Soulstorm to explain why the Sisters of Battle fight Marines and the Guard, but we don't talk about Soulstorm.

Of course when you are dealing with the Space Wolves they fight other Marine chapters because it's fun and they're bored. The difference between a Space Wolf and an Ork is basically just skin color.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you need the xenos straight man, you need the loyalist straight man, but where's the chaos straight man?

I figured Abaddon would be the Chaos straight man since he worships Chaos Undivided and is the guy everyone rallies around.

Sure, his Black Crusade win/loss ratio is total garbage, but it felt like GW didn't want to advance anything lore wise for a long time but still needed poo poo to happen. If you need a faction of humanish beings to lose, Chaos is usually your man.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Since I can't find this past year's Nightmare Fear Factory thread I'm sorry I can't give credit to whoever made this.

Just know its awesome and my desktop background.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

A Tad Ghostal posted:

Just wish the ebooks didn't cost more than the paperbacks.

Its the opposite for the Caiphas Cain books. The first omnibus is easy enough to find, but the second was a struggle to find it under $200, and the 3rd omnibus doesn't exist as a non-ebook.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Xun posted:

Wtf Im pretty sure I own the second omnibus

I would ask when you bought it because it's been out of print long enough that there were not that many copies for sale as of a year or two ago. At least it was for sale, even EBay didn't have a copy of the 3rd omnibus for sale. The only copy I could find was an ebook and I stare at a screen enough that when I read I like having a physical book.

Plus, having a physical book makes a good icebreaker for people to ask me what I'm reading when I go out to eat at places.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I should mention I do have a physical copy of the 2nd omnibus and I did really enjoy it. I just looked up how much it cost me and it was $70 off Amazon, and Amazon only has 1 copy for sale for $100 for a used paperback right now. It does make sense its a rare book since it hasn't been printed in like a decade, and I'm sure they didn't make a poo poo ton during the initial runs. I liked it so much I would say it was worth the price.

Meanwhile you can get the 1st omnibus for $15 and there are a bunch of them for sale.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they are from a different dimension, so yeah, how come they look like us?

Because what happens in the different dimension is directly influenced by beings in our dimension and their emotions. They are basically manifestations of emotion and will probably look somewhat like the beings that feel those emotions.

Or they are magic and our brains make us see them like us because it literally doesn't know how to perceive them.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

It wouldn't surprise me to learn a Salamander has fallen in love before. If anyone would, it's those guys.

That's more familial love though. Sexually, I believe Space Marines are literally incapable of feeling that. Like that part of their brain is destroyed by surgery or chemicals incapable.

In terms of lust you're looking at Slanesh marines, maybe Khorne if you squit your eyes since those guys are obsessed with killing to such a degree they might feel an echo of sexual pleasure in it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Does Cadia call it Coke, Soda, or Pop?

I'm pretty sure current Cadia calls it "Pop" for a very serious reason.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Custodes are not made from normal humans like Space Marines are. They are more like the Primarchs where they are test tube babies that had their DNA hand crafted to make a very specific kind of humanoid being that has abilities that normal humans cannot possess or be made to possess.

They are more like a manufactured weapon or tool that has sentience and is built for a specific purpose.

Of course in the WH40k universe an actual hammer can have sentience if it is advanced enough or Chaos decides to corrupt the hammer to do it's bidding.

Edit: Also if a hammer is sentient you need to regularly massage it with oil, pray to it, and constantly tell it how awesome it is. It also won't hammer a nail if it isn't in the mood.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 14, 2024

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Picturing a Catachan and Cadian couple producing a real freak

Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Bynml5lhY&t=159s

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Without the butcher's nails Angron would have been the embodiment of loyalty and honor. I base that off of his desire to fight and die with his fellow gladiators instead of taking the free trip off world to save himself. Instead the Emperor wounded his pride and embarrassed him in such a way and to such an incredible degree, it was guaranteed he would be hosed up and rebel.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The Slaanesh guys in Age of Sigmar use arrows dipped in poison that makes you cum so hard you die.

God drat do I love the little bits of dumb lore.

I also love they have the kind of creative freedom where someone can look at the jizzing scene in Scary Movie and think "We need to make a weapon that does that!"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

advancing metaplots is a general admission that peeps don't really want to make their own stuff up nowadays, tbh. or at least that's how advancing metaplots goes in ttrpgs

Doesn't GW also advance the story based on the outcome of various tournaments they have? I know I heard somewhere that the whole Cadia destroyed and the Eye of Terror expanding happened because they held a Chaos vs. Imperial Guard tournament and the Chaos players won.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Probably a reliquary for the head of a saint or some such. In the real world it wasn’t uncommon to have some random knuckle bones of Saint whoever in a fancy box to carry around and venerate.

There's a really good book that goes into this but is hard to search for.

Heavenly Bodies

I'm on mobile so I can't really link any pictures, but just know none of the pictures would look out of place in Warhammer. Hell, the rituals surrounding the bejeweled skeletons still happen today.

Edit:
Managed to get it to work. Just look at this poo poo. If you told someone this was the Emperor they would probably believe you.

Edit 2: Nvm. Preview said it would work but it's not.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 23, 2024

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

William Bear posted:

Space Marine 2 has:

Campaign (with 3 player co-op)
PvE "Operations" mode
3v3 PvP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS22JKUVrzU

God drat it looks great. The year's delay did wonders.

My only complaint is that I miss Mark Strong as Titus. He gave a pretty silly story enormous gravitas.

Edit: Reddit has a pretty good rundown of what happened between games. Pretty interesting stuff, but I wonder how much will be referred to in-game.

That does look really good but I am a bit disappointed PvP is only 3v3.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

TK8325 posted:

that sounds cool as hell

They really are. Like, imagine the 1812 overture on a pipe organ and everytime it comes to a cannon blast you shoot off a half dozen rockets instead.

And yes, the pipe organ that launches rockets is an actual, functioning pipe organ that you play while in battle. It's like that guitarist from Fury Road but even more :black101:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

the torture ends completely, forever, by driving your weird torture machine into a lake

Well sure. But when you are being horrifically tortured you probably are not thinking clearly or rationally.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically one of the only differences between the Ecclesiarchy and the Dark Eldar is that the Dark Eldar don't mind admitting they're enjoying themselves.

I'm picturing the Dark Eldar seeing a Penitent Engine in action and just being lol, wtf is this, this fuckin rules, I want one

ed: leads to the victim of the Penitent Engine being kidnapped by Dark Eldar, they don't notice any difference

I would say the Ecclesiarchy is better since the person would die eventually. The Dark Eldar instead would reenact "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" when they would turn that person into a sentient floor lamp that cannot die when they got bored torturing them.

Dark Eldar garage sales have to be wild.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

titans don't punch things, their sole purpose is to stand with their legs and 'arms' spread while firing every single gun indiscriminately completely unconcerned by friendly fire, just an absolute smoke show fit for the next edition's box set cover

They do get into some melee combat. Dawn of War 3 may have been a terrible game but it had a cool trailer that shows an Imperial Titan and the Eldar equivalent fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN8geCTlZOo

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

They just assumed it was the usual giant robot that carries cathedrals on its back walking around.

The giant guns? Well, they clearly are giant wine and cracker dispensers to help with mass communion.

Do you have a better idea on how to do communion for millions of people in an hour?

Anybody that dies in the wine and cracker deluge was a heretic obviously.

Edit: I'm getting a good laugh out of imagining a titan sized wine flamer and hurricane cracker guns. They shoot 500,000 crackers a second!

Edit 2: If Slaanesh doesn't have a titan wine flamer what the gently caress are they even doing?!

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 26, 2024

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I really liked it.

Pros:
Things sound and look good.
Everything sounds like it has weight to it and they do a good job of nailing the aesthetic.
Most of the knights are fun to play and there were a bunch of different play styles even before the assassin DLC.
I like the characters too even if they are pratty basic. They are what you would expect and don't need to be anything more.
A fair amount of mission variety.

Cons:
Even with the animations sped up the game can still take forever to play.
There is a fair amount of randomness when it comes to what weapons and armor you find which can make some playstyles or marines unplayable. It can also lead to crazy overpowered builds. Getting upgraded healing servo skulls early can alleviate an incredible amount of early pressure, and not getting them for a long time can really hurt you for example.
There is something of a timer even though you can't explicitly see one. Eventually the blight will spread too much and you'll lose. This does take a while so it isn't strict, at least not on medium.
Speaking of, it does that xcom thing in my opinion where medium is too easy but hard is too hard.

I would recommend it and if you want some basic tips here's a good link. It also explains some of the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Horses are definitely still used in 40k by some Guard units so I'm sure the White Scars could have had some if they wanted.

Don't try and tell me the Imperium couldn't make some kind of mechanical or genetically altered super war horse if they wanted to for them.