Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

covidstomper58 posted:

Are the Eldar in 40k actually Elves?

I know they're ha ha space elves, but from Warhammer to 40k did the Elves just turn into Eldar or were Elves devolved Eldar since they were around for so long and just landed on a Warham planet that had dorfs, orks, hugh mons, and dinosaur people.

For that matter are the dinosaur race just biggarlier lizardmen, or somth?

they used to imply that warhammer fantasy was just one world cut off by warp storms in the 40k universe but they don't talk about that any more and haven't for a while. connection is *shrug* at this point.

interestingly in AoS the lizards went back to space and are now space dinosaurs made of starlight, except for some who touched grass too long and are now extra-strength original dinosaur men.

Redwall 40k also got glossed over and that's bullshit, I wanna see mice vs orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The primarch of the world eaters, the angriest chaos space Marines, is named Angron because the bouncer at a pub the founders went to was called Angry Ron

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eclipse12 posted:

I really hope this is true.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The primarch of the Iron Hands is named Ferrus Manus

The primarch of the Raven Guard is named Corvus Corax

10/10 names in 40k overall.

the primarch of the dark angels is named lion el'johnson

after the poet lionel johnson.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Btw the canonical reason that orks don't get sick is because gork and mork threw nurgle into a squig pit and then took turns elbow dropping him until he agreed to leave orks alone like the little bitch he is

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The entire work experience rests on the back of the Grot. Theirs is the labor and drive that sends the green tide to the stars and yet they share in none of the rewards.

But it's okay, they're Grots

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's a comic about orks in planes shooting each other.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo that's the comic with the dude who purges while wearing a fire hat right? That did rule

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Amazon cutting off their boob thing was a myth but here we have the rare opposite, assisting a draw with the power of chest bumps

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

wokehammer

your av is amazing

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
my favorite thing about the realm of beasts is that the continents look like they have fangs and mouths. Because they do, and are trying to eat each other.

https://i.redd.it/j16akphqmxx61.png

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Soulbound RPG has done a lot to make AoS feel more lived in. It's still high fantasy vs low fantasy but you can do some really cool poo poo when your basic conceit is "people from heaven attempting to set up functioning cities in post-post-apocalyptic landscapes where the locals may have opinions ranging from "gently caress you" to "it's our city now"

Death has been conquered by the worst rear end in a top hat ever. The chaos gods are still corrupting everything they can. The heroes that led the initial push are starting to break down and what does that mean?

Also in the metal realm there's a band of plant folk and dwarves that get along totally fine and kick rear end together. Because the plant people in the metal realm are like half living metal anyway.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah also search engine optimization.

and I'm not saying that the End Times didn't suck or the AoS launch was done well at all but saying that one particular decision made by GW was motivated by greed is kind of missing the forest for the trees there. I don't think the company has made a single decision ever that wasn't motivated by greed.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
seriously after having one kid if I had uh.....whatever the word for twenty-tuplets is I'd fling them across space and time too.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The imperium of man is a sprawling galaxy-wide empire consisting of millions of worlds, trillions of people and about as many tits. It would be a waste of resources to protect their chests when those resources could go towards a slightly bigger pauldron on a space marine or even more exotic drugs for a noble's breakfast

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

The imperium civilians knows that chaos exists though don't they? Do the grey knights purge everyone who has ever fought chaos?

Do cadians straight up not exist in the game anymore?

They even walked back the "see a demon get executed" stuff after the great rift opened since they're common enough now that it's not as much of an option. I think they basically retconned it so that kind of thing was common in the lulls between black crusades but when poo poo's really going down you don't have the luxury.

Cadia got blowed up but all the survivors immediately founded new settlements and there are now dozens of "cadia reborn" "cadia 2" "cadia: even harder" planets.

In the darktide video game there's a voice archetype for cadian survivors. One of the funniest exchanges is when the "snarky rear end in a top hat" archetype goes "oh my God shut the gently caress up about cadia"

Edit:https://youtu.be/x2yx7gdPyB0?si=c0Pbb4Obu4Y2zEf6

Benagain fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 6, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Lords of Silence is about a band of plague marines assaulting a sector of space and is awesome. Has some great sequences of imperial defenders losing their mind over the horror they're facing and then it switched to the plague marine viewpoint and they're just these relaxed chill guys who love hanging out in their living ship and infecting people.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wait what do you mean aos is at the end of the setting

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

Is it not set at the end of the world?

Nah so off the top of my head:

Warhammer fantasy world explodes everyone dies

Chaos fucks around gets bored fucks off

Gods old and new take up life in worlds slowly coalescing around the winds of magic

Age of wonders

Chaos is back baby! Refugees crowd into realm of azyr

Age of sucking rear end

Age of sigmar begins with unveiling of storm cast, the greatest heroes of all reforged into unkillable beings with no downsides whatsoever! An alliance of basically every non chaos god forms that will absolutely last the test of time and won't disentegrate the second it encounters friction

Chaos kicked on its rear end, slannesh kicked to another dimension

Stormcast start to show problems. The rear end in a top hat gods of betrayal betray.

Chaos comes back but now everyone else is strong enough to not get overwhelmed immediately

Present

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vampire Panties posted:

If I was looking for a way to make my gobbos fight dwarves, this is the most repelling backstory imaginable

Okay, imagine that humans are all Germans with English accents or Norse pirates and Mexicans are lizards.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Here's my fantasy game about orks and humans fighting. The backstory is The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter Wilson only any time someone non-white is mentioned just replace them with a skeleton or something.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you're skeptical of AoS Gotrek is a fantastic entry point because 50% of his dialogue is talking about how much this new world sucks and the dwarves aren't really dwarves and the elves got even worse somehow

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
What do you mean locked down? No room for your own stories or?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Not really but just assume that every piece of sci Fi from the 70s 80s and early 90s is in there somewhere.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My personal dumbest thing in 40k lore is that they brought bone swords back. The bone swords that look like swords and are, like every weapon of the tyranids, technically a separate animal. I forget the justification for why the tyranids would have swords and claws at the same time

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Abilifier posted:

Really? Planescape and the Great Wheel cosmology were actually pretty cool. The more people in this thread talk about AoS the more I want to learn about it. Is there like a lore channel on youtube or a podcast that talks about this? I'm not sure I want to jump into buying a book just yet.

So each plane is relatively normal at the center, eg the realm of fire will be hotter than average but survivable , and then as you get towards the outer edges the laws of that wind start dominating so the realm of light becomes impossibly bright and your brain starts thinking so fast your head explodes. Except for the realm of death, which Nagash took over almost entirely and then tried to do a ritual to funnel all death into him except that blew up and inverted it, so in the realm of Death the fringes start fine and as you get towards the center it gets more and more death-y.

There's a whole bunch of waygates lying around that connect random points between different planes and this is usually what cities and trade routes get built around.

The Soulbound RPG does a lot for fleshing all this out and there's a writeup that sums up the lore in the trad games forum, specifically the Fatal And Friends review thread. Full of random cool bits. For example, the realms are so different that it's hard to nail down a currency, but one of the most widely accepted things is healing water from the realm of life. The realm of death has entropy out the wazoo so things break down fast, but that means that goods exported from the realm of death tend to be extremely durable since that's their baseline.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I am so ready for the flame wars this is going to start

also can't help but notice this happens the same day Iran launches a drone attack on Israel. COINCIDENCE?!?!?!?!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

stand firm soldiers! a solid bayonet line can disrupt a charge!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
There was a great little ork shooter game where the entire plot was "your boss thought your hair squig would look better on them, so you need to take over the waaggh and destroy a hive city in order to get back to orbit and take it back"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

The only problem with female Custodes is that they are the Emperor’s most favoritest, specialest children, each one with their genes hand-crafted by him to be actually good and useful instead of mass-produced crap that kills nine tenths of everyone you inject it with, and he actually knew them and liked them. And dude hated women, I cannot imagine big bad Daddy E willingly spending time around gross cootie-havers.

It’s too cool of an idea for a dude who sucks to have had, is my point

It'd be fun if he just never tried it on a woman and then the custodes just tried it on their own at some point and it worked.

Within the bounds of their devotion to the emperor personally they have been consistently shown to be much better educated and uh, free thinkers isn't really the right term here, but they were originally made to be and still are more than just unthinking warriors. If there was nothing written or recorded forbidding it I could see them taking a crack at women during a recruit shortage and finding it worked just fine.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Archer666 posted:

If we have female Custodes, I demand twink Sisters of Battle

While the custodes gene-craft could easily alter women, not even at humanity's peak did the technology exist that could make that haircut look good on a twink

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's extra stupid because space marines have always canonically had a skin implant that adjusts their melanin levels to optimal for whatever level of UV they're exposed to and yet no author has ever brought that up as far as I know, anybody remember them referencing that in a book? Even an imperial guard liason or something going 'oh hey that guy's pale as a ghost inside but bronze god outside"

the reason the salamanders are charcoal black is because theirs doesn't turn off.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Which is another reason why a) orks never really go away you'll have minor flare ups for years and years even after a waaggh is driven off and b) why ork/tyranids warfare is so insane because it's essentially two weaponized ecosystems going at it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Aren't they something silly like orruks now?

Only in AoS the legally distinct spelling of Orks was fine for maintaining SEO

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

Do the Necrons ever crack jokes to each other or are they just eternally super serious and miserable

There's a necron lord whose schtik is that he was one of the greatest generals they've ever known but is suffering from dementia and views all opponents as variations of battles he's already fought with no knowledge of his current state as a soulless robot. He'll do things like take captive generals back to the flagship to feast them in honor of their worthy combat and not in the way where they're all insane and eating each other, he just has a banquet for some poor imperial bastard who can't understand what's happening or why the robots have piles of food in front of them. He wins so much that no one has been able to coup him even though his underlings are sick of it. Well, plus he has an insanely competent and sane bodyguard.

He's been in a few short stories/books and it's heavily implied but not outright stated that the dementia is a ruse to downplay his competence enough so that he's not seen as a serious threat by any ruling dynasties.

For an entire book of Necrons being hilarious, may I recommend The Infinite And The Divine, which features everybody's favorite Trazyn the Infinite vs Orikan the Diviner as they attempt and fail to kill and/or embarrass each other over millions of years.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh for those not up on Trayzn: so as the dormant necrons were waking up one powerful dynasty in particular suffered a series of catastrophes that basically meant rule and ownership devolved to a museum curator. Said museum curator finds himself at the head of an enormous army headquartered in a dyson sphere and goes gently caress it, gonna build the absolute best museum I can.

quote:

Dear Lady, let me express my fulsome appreciation for your most generous gift. It is so very rare to discover another of my own kind that appreciates my work, therefore to find understanding amongst a member of another race is nothing short of a revelation. I realise that you briefly trod my galleries, but the fact that you spotted in so short a time that my Acabrius War collection was lacking three regiments of Catachan warriors reveals that you truly have a collector's eye for detail. And to send five regiments! Such generosity will allow me to weed out and replace a few of the more substandard pieces in my collection. If I might level a minor criticism, the instructions issued to your gift were manifestly not as clear as you thought, as most of them had to be forcibly restrained -- sadly it seems that the lower orders will always behave like an army of invasion, whether that be their purpose or not. However, this is a minor complaint and seems almost churlish under the circumstances, so please allow me to repay your gift with one of my own. Accompanying this message is the Hyperstone Maze, one of a series of Tesseract Labyrinths constructed at the height of the Charnovokh Dynasty. It is a trinket really, only of interest to scholars such as you and I, but I trust you will find it amusing -- assuming you have the wit to escape its clutches, of course."

— Hyperscroll message from Trazyn the Infinite, addressed to Inquisitor Helynna Valeria, ca. 805.M41

he is one of the best characters to come out of 40k period

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yup, and a few quick references in the books to necrons that decided to switch after the upload and long sleep.

Necron opera also exists and with an audience that doesn't need to breathe or eat there are now plays longer than the events they depict.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 24, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay that's almost perfect for 40k, just make it two planets and they start a small religious war 100 years later over red vs white undergarments.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

We have this already - there are movie and series reviews that go longer than the original. MASH lasted twice as long as the original war did.

No like, in real time. Like you sit in one place and watch an opera for thirty years as it depicts a five year war.

Edit: you wanna talk about predictable, let's talk about the alpha legion. They're the sneaky and duplicitous space marines, (don't think about it) that specialize in spy craft and perfectly orchestrated operations (seriously don't ask why the emperor engineered two edgelord sons and then thought "yeah you know what else I need, is twins that are pathological liars and sneaks")

They're unique among the traitor legions in that they never really went whole hog on the demon thing and went to ground in real space instead of fleeing into the eye of terror. They're infiltrated into imperial structures all over the place. Inquisitors facing them are specifically taught to bait them because they will at some point absolutely need to lord how clever they are over you. They need an evil puppet master speech or reveal and you can anticipate that.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 25, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah the lore is set up so that any faction can fight any other faction including themselves so you never have to worry about lore conflicts. Guardsmen vs space Marines? Don't even need to have one side be outright chaos just have a dispute about local taxes escalate. Space Marines vs space marines? Somebody insulted someone else and now Honor is at stake. Or ancient tech or a chapter secret etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
poo poo everyone talks about slannesh being the god of edging but tzeentch canonically will backstab themselves before actually achieving things sometimes since that's what they are