Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
40k, like many "cool space war" science fiction settings, smashes together a bunch of stuff from various works that came before it to make an interesting universe that you can tell a bunch of stories out of and make entertaining games with. And like the other "cool space war" science fiction settings, the cool parts of the universe are being crushed by the property owner's monetary interests and their communities are rife with fans who just can't shut up about how neat the space-fascist are.

Man I hope Discount Bees is doin' alright, wherever he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Warhammer 40k is also one of those properties where the art has gradually become less awesome over time as budgets and and artist skills went up:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Nuebot posted:

I like the part where half of the bad poo poo that went down in the empire could have been avoided if the Emperor just wasn't a piece of poo poo and actually talked to his large clone sons or maybe even hugged them.

I'm glad the recently-completed book series continued to crib from Dune in the area of "messianic figures are bullshit and benevolent dictatorships will always crumble, even if you put immortal psychic supermen on the seat of power (especially if you put immortal psychic supermen).

It's also nice that you don't have to read any of that poo poo and you can just enjoy space rambo adventures instead

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Mr Teatime posted:

Thread for posting how you are definitely too cool for warhammer. :lofty:

Impossible; Warhammer is the coolest thing out there

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Earwicker posted:

the wh fantasy dwarves seem pretty drat cool compared to d&d dwarves or tolkein dwarves, who seem kind of sad and overly solemn in comparison. warhammer dwarves have cool tattoos and punk haircuts and crazy inventions and seem to have a more chaotic vibe. but i dont know anything about their lore maybe they are assholes or something

Fantasy dwarfs are absurdly-traditionalist and adverse to change to the point where it constantly undermines their society and drives them into conflicts for pitiable reasons. They also keep a record of every offense committed against their kind by others, which also pushes them into costly wars over their desire to avenge the stupidest grudges imaginable.

But part of what makes warham fantasy fun is that all the factions have lovely aspects to their societies: The Empire is chock full of power-hungry despots and horrible religious zealots; Kislev is a "greatest hits" of Tsarist Russia destitution mixed with Stalinist secret police shenanigans; Bretonnia loves starving peasants; Elves...can't go fifteen minutes without affirming their race supremacy.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Valko posted:

I stopped watching it about four minutes in. Guess I'm not missing anything.

Sly Marbo:
'He is utterly silent and acknowledges orders with but a slight nod before vanishing once more to find the enemy'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMNWAJiz5Y

Marbo's my favorite 40k character as he's essentially First Blood's Rambo except in addition to ignoring his mental health the powers above him just keep sending him back into hellish warzones where he's the only survivor and then everyone acts real confused when he's traumatized to the point of being almost non-verbal so they chalk it up as "he obviously was born 'not quite right'"

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Horace Kinch posted:

Marbo

Rambo

seems kinda similar

Accusing Games Workshop of being grossly-derivative to the point of just swapping letters around to make legally-distinct copies of existing popular culture icons?

Why I never-

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
40k Titans rule because they're ancient, irreplaceable war machines that are revered as the pinnacle of advanced engineering by their respective factions, wielding armaments capable of annihilating cities and blasting star ships out of the sky

Then they step on some uneven terrain, get in a fight with a really big dinosaur, or an ork on a bike does a sick jump to crash through the cockpit and the whole thing falls over and bursts into flames - the perfect encapsulation of Warhammer's "style and majesty at the cost of everything else" mindset

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Smugworth posted:

Has anyone ever kissed the Emperor

The Big E is absolutely someone who would never allow himself the indignity of feeling affection for/from another person, lest they steal his vital essence

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the vibe he's just got a pretty well functioning fight-or-flight reflex and is also having to constantly calculate the risk of the threat in front of him vs behind him.

Cain's alright but the series has kinda dragged-on with beating the "Cain claims to act cowardly but ends up saving the day; also Jurgen shoots someone with a meltagun" dead horse over and over. The first omnibus is great, though.

Also all the Necron-perspective novels are dynamite.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Necromunda has the Palantine Enforcers, who are the equivalent of a local precinct's SWAT team compared to the Arbites' "over-budgeted secret police" status:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Anyone ever mess around with the Fantasy Flight roleplaying games? Only War had way too many subsystems and unnecessary dice rolls (in a percentile system!), but once we shaved down everything into a basic stat roll + modifiers it became a ton more fun (and you could actually finish a combat encounter in a single session).

The critical tables were so, so dumb, yet perfect for the 40k setting:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Eh, we lost a lot of the blatant fetish/cheesecake material, but on the plus side we now have a lot more actually-cool grimdark ladies loving up xenos and heretics on equal footing:

Sometimes they even get a model!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

calm down Sylvester

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Catachans are my favorite subfaction in 40k; they're not in the limelight like the Cadians/Krieg, but they get a little trickle of miniatures and books every now and then that keeps them around the setting. They exist in that sweet-spot where they're juust fleshed-out enough that you can portray them however you want; whether as comically-ridiculous space-Rambos, compassionless Vietnam allegories, or anything in-between.

I also first collected these guys because they were pretty much the only army that was depicted as being made up of multiple races in their art and models waay back in 2001:

(The old Catachan Codex freakin' ruled)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

LanceHunter posted:

Honestly, my dream is that the Henry Cavill WH40k project has one episode that's basically a complete Predator rip-off, with a bunch of outmatched Catachans in the jungle getting picked off one-by-one by some minor demon. Only a small few survive through sheer ingenuity and willpower. Then, as the finally appear to have run out of options and the demon is about to kill them, these enormous Space Marines show up and immediately wipe out the demon with almost no effort at all. The few survivors are overjoyed, until it turns out that the Space Marines are Grey Knights, and immediately after wiping out the demon they turn around and kill every remaining survivor for having witnessed that demons exist.

Okay, but Sly Marbo (Schwarzenegger) gets to show up at the end to backhand one of those dumb baby-carrier dreadknights

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
five entire seasons of just Gorka-Morka

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I liked "Straken" because it has an angry shirtless guy on the cover wielding a big knife and shooting at something off-screen:

The contents are about as deep as the cover, with chapter after chapter of "And then Straken shot another Ork in the face, bursting its skull like a wet paper bag filled with gore as yet another one of his men was exploded into glistening chunks of viscera by a cleaver as large as his torso", repeated for hundreds of pages

it was pretty cool

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Got the new Catachan novel fresh out the mail; right on schedule for bedtime stories

aaaaaahhhhhhhhh

edit: oh man tyranid weapons do not kill you clean at all

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 25, 2024

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
What's great about the current Necrons is that the old 'crons are still there, just slightly-retconned to be tombworlds that got superfucked by the passage of time that left those dynasties as near-mechanical hollow shells driven by programming, or groups that got swindled back into the yoke of a C'tan shard

iirc there's even an army of old-crons who are stuck in a loop to the point where an Imperial world uses their perfectly-timed invasion to train troops on

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
You pretty much can't go wrong with anything written by Robert Rath or Nate Crowley

Completely normal authors

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My brother recently bought some Tau guys and I don't know what their deal is supposed to be.

The fun part is that most of the setting is presented with such broad strokes that you can present your Tau as "hypocritical, two-faced expansionists who reduce other civilizations into impotent vassals through a brutal caste system and chemical persuasion," or go in the direction of "the only sane force in the universe who genuinely want to seek peaceful coexistence with everyone else," or anywhere in between.

Hell, your brother can just go "screw it, these guys are a breakaway group of mercenary pirates that the rest of the Tau desperately try to pretend don't exist in an effort to avoid the PR damage."

Making poo poo up about your army is honestly my favorite thing about this awful hobby.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Deathworlder was pretty good, as far as one-shot Imperial Guard novels are concerned. Lotta good character interactions between the squad, horribly-grody tyranid descriptions, and a thick smearing of hopelessness runs through the book.

As for the bad, plot armor syndrome runs pretty bad here(of the squad, only two of them (and the cultist, but she was never really part of the cast) die and one of them is the guy who never gets any character development/narrative so you see it coming a mile off), and one character in particular (the cultist Lamya) is such a one-dimensional cartoon that they absolutely grind the narrative/atmosphere to a screeching halt whenever they become the focus, which was often.

I'd give it a reccomend if you liked the short story Fall of Malvolion and want to read about space-rambos dealing with a similar "late-stage Tyranid invasion" situation. Also, if you want to read about Catachan poetry.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Is that the one that featured in WD around the time the Tyranids range redesign came out? PoV story from different stages of a Tyranid invasion starting with a squad hunting a suspected murderer that turns out to be a Lictor in a remote building, then during the first wave of vanguard spores the pov character watches a genestealer hop into a future Ford -F150 and instantly mulch the family inside, and finally ending in a nighttime convoy racing to the final bulk landers trying to escape in the rain, but our hero sees the "rain" building up on his windshield is actually wriggling Tyranid spores?. I remember that one being rad, at least to my teenage tastes.

Yep, that's the one. Deathworlder has a lot of similar "even the air is eating you alive" doomed perspectives; if you squint hard enough you could even consider it a sequel of sorts to the short story.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Disco Pope posted:

This loving thread I bought some ghosts and paints from Warhammer Games Workshop today and my lore is that they come out of the walls with hairy nuts and a dingleberry and do a cum shot.

wanna see dem ghosts (either of the incorporeal or Dan Abnett variety)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean when's the last time the Federation forced a species into membership at gunpoint?

The audience never gets to see the "Second Contact" Federation ships deploying their fleets of dune buggies to supress the local populace with massive clouds of dust kicked-up by all their sick jumps

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Slaanesh followers are much cooler when they get creative about the "Obsession/Perfection" aspect of their god, rather than just going full-tilt BDSM-Cenobites-on-space-drugs.

You got dudes who've practiced painting so long that they create horrific pocket dimensions inside their works, weirdos who body-sculpt their prisoners into living instruments and then just let crowds of them loose on a ship to "make music" as they wander and die, and some guy who just kept eating food until he turned into a planet

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Gilbert Gottfried but he's 12 feet tall and wearing armor covered in undulating human skin

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
tl;dr version: "The Warp" is Imagination Land but turns out everyone has a hosed-up mind/dreams/desires and also if you're really good at using your imagination (psychic) you can voluntarily/involuntarily manifest stuff from said realm of magical wonderment

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Disco Pope posted:

The underfoot grinders are so loving funny. Just Tom & Jerry level stuff.

In Darktide one of the maps takes the players through a little Enforcer (police) checkpoint, complete with detention cells and an interrogation room.

If you bother to look down in the cell corridor you realize that past the metal grating is a giant, running grinder, and all the cells have trapdoors

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Hihohe posted:

Corpse grinders are mean in game, almost oppressively. Melees really powerful and they are good at it

One of my favorite little lore bits from the corpse grinder book is that the scrawnier-looking gangers have to wear those metal muzzles to prevent them from chowing down on fallen combatants (including their own) while they're still in the middle of a skirmish.

The same book also had rules for a chaos-uprising-themed campaign, where it was possible for the hive you're in to get so hosed-up that starvation mechanics would kick in and your less-fed gangers (regardless of faction) would have to make "cool" rolls to stop them from eating downed opponents, in a mirror to that bit of corpse grinder fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

CapnAndy posted:

Bold of you to assume there's public schools

From what I remember of Catachan lore kids on the deathworld are raised in a big ol' village nursery, where they're taught basic skills like "how to decapitate flying snakes" and "when to snap your friend's neck when they're too infested with brain parasites."

The field trips out into the jungle have sizable casualty rates.