Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Thread for posting how you are definitely too cool for warhammer. :lofty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

What kind of person coukd envisage such a bleak, hopeless and absurd dystopian future?

Oh the British.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The leader of the imperium is a demigod called Row Boat.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Are you saying that colonel Konrad Kurze being killed by Martin Sheen M’shen is a reference to something? :allears:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Okay, this has been driving me nuts. There's another table top game with little dudes but it's small unit (I think 7) and each unit is actually one thing not a group. Does anyone have any idea wtf I'm talking about?

Necromunda?

Necromunda owns.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I’ve always felt that Chaos was the lamest part of both Warhammer settings. In theory they’re supposed to be dark reflections of humanity’s basest emotions, blah blah, but in practice they’re just four flavors of murderous psychopath. Their existence undercuts what little remains of the setting’s satire, as space fascism doesn’t seem so bad when there really ARE soul-eating demons out there.

They’re stupidly edgy, they’re unassailable, and they’re BORING.

If it were up to me, the Chaos gods would be a background element that sometimes pops up and burns itself out rather than the primary antagonist of the setting. I’d make the main conflict the Imperium vs xenos and Imperium vs itself, emphasizing how dogmatism and inflexibility make the Imperium its own worst enemy.

But given how baked-in Chaos is, that’s probably a completely different setting at that point.

Chaos owns actually and its not that fascism is necessary because of chaos it’s that literal skull collecting blood berserkers and guys made mainly out of tentacles are somehow less horrifying than the fascist dystopia that is the imperium. It’s also explicitly clear in the setting that the imperium is its own worst enemy and how poo poo it is drives people towards chaos.

Space fascism is worse than chaos and that’s the joke.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Trayzn canonically has gorkamorka in his hoarder museum.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Thinking about the ork who went back in time and killed himself so he could have two of his favourite gun. :nsallears:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Orks intrinsically know how to build incredible tech out of literal scrap, it’s built into them. There’s 50/50 on how much of it works because of collective ork belief that it just will vs actual engineering.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Should be pointed out that they were very much a punchline and all the other orks explicitly thought they were dumb as poo poo. It was a very 80s way of laughing at nazis.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Elukka posted:

In the early 90s, Games Workshop had a record label. There was a band called D-Rok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YH8jROzZQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRtRkET9xMA

Brian May played on some of these because he ran into them when he went to look at the spacemans with his son.

I’d like to point out that the guy in the front there is scar face.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

From Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society by Uthan the Perverse, a controversial Eldar philosopher

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I question how anyone thought Tau were supposed to be good unless you really weren’t paying attention. It’s always been ‘congratulations you have been selected to join the empire!’ and if you refuse out come the rail guns and battle suits. If you do join the co prosperity sphere you get to find that some (the tau) are more equal than others. They are a classic expansionist empire and you can physically feel the pith helmets coming through the page when they describe other species they’ve subsumed.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Deff skwadron.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 3, 2024

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

completely unnecessary for the hobbyist cranking to 28 mm figs.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

How many space marines do you think you could fit in your mouth?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Smugworth posted:

where the gently caress did the combat heels go.

More like games wokeshop

House Escher in Necromunda is where combat heeled boot technology lives.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

pissed off people who had stuck with it buying their poo poo for years.

There are dozens of us.gif

Remember when gw came round to peoples houses and took away all their old fantasy models and sourcebooks making the game literally impossible to play ever again?

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 7, 2024

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

To be fair... posted:

Did we already ask what the humans in Gorka-Morka are called?

Somewhere in Nottingham, the year 1996 “I’ve just had an extremely good idea for our new gang based skirmish game”.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

If the ham show even remotely focuses on space marines it’s completely doomed and I don’t have the faith to believe that gw can resist the siren call of their poster children.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

They got Brian Blessed to do the voice of Gotrek in the age of Sigmar slayer books and it is S tier casting.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's not the money, or that it's below him it's just that I associate him with much more lighthearted stuff and he's kind of like a living cartoon.

Edit: this is not a bad thing. I'm tracking this down just because of this fact.

I believe the first one is realm slayer. It’s not a terrible entry point for age of sigmar because it’s essentially Gotrek getting spat back out of the realms of chaos aeons after the old world blew up and going “WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS NONSENSE”, Brian Blessed booming away and chewing the scenery.

https://youtu.be/nO5aGzE6oRo?si=uQDt1KqNxuDZrSX9

How can you not love him as Gotrek.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 10, 2024

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Hot take time. 3d printers are great but people who are into them vastly undersell how accessible they are for the average person because they don’t understand that tinkering around with slicer programs and optimising print supports while also troubleshooting printer issues and dealing with poison rear end resin isn’t as fun for other people as it is for them. It’s basically its own hobby.

Also while you can get great stuff out of printers it’s always the folks posting “3d printer goes brrr” that post up space marines that look like the Michelin man and go like “can’t even tell the difference from legit gw” :smug:.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

XeeD posted:

What if they paint the spores red?

Actually, is there a non terrible youtube that plays out a tabletop game without being insufferable nerds about it?

I don’t mind SN battle reports who mainly do Horus heresy stuff. It’s a fine line between long winded and boring nerds and wAcKY 🤪 insufferable nerds. Tabletop tactics in particular seems to have decided to whirlwind slam the latter since I last regularly watched their stuff, they were always on that side of things but holy moly they’ve gotten so much worse.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The female custodian tried to teleport a cyclonic torpedo from orbit into the emperors throne room for her blood games trial which is honestly the funniest gw lore I’ve read in a while.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Armoured codpiece or no that is clearly a power weapon and would render such protection meaningless at best.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

why do eldar have tit plates

It is canon that male Eldar who join the howling banshee aspect shrine also wear the titty plate.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Because they dipshit space elves.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Short version is that instead of C’tan running the necrons, the necrons rose up to break and chain them because they were terribly upset about the whole being deceived into feeding their souls to a bunch of fuckhead space parasites.

C’tan on the tabletop are bound and enslaved shards of the gods.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

It’s heavily implied/stated in the infinite and the divine that even the high ranking necrons like trayzn and orikan probably don’t have 100% accurate memories of their lives pre biotransfer because the Ctan are dicks. No spoilers but they remember some pretty major events completely differently.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Comstar posted:

As I do not have the time to go back in time to read it, can you please tell me via spoiler?

Trayzn remembers that during the time where the necrontyr were being undergoing biotransferance that he was vehemently against it and tried to run away and hide before being captured and dragged to the soul furnaces in chains. Orikan remembers that it was himself who hid away and was dragged to the furnace by, amongst others, Trayzn. In his memory Trayzn embraced biotransfer willingly.

It’s up in the air how you interpret that, but given the deceitful nature of the Ctan it’s entirely likely they remember things incorrectly by design.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The problem with the good heresy books is that’s it’s quite hard to say to someone that something like saturnine is incredible because it’s a book sitting almost at the end of a 70+ book series.

Saturnine is legitimately fantastic though and the audiobook is great.

If you wanted something early that’s good definitely first heretic, know no fear and betrayer are tight and related to each other.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Your Family posted:

Why is it that, in a lot of 40k artwork, the battlefields always seemed cramped and congested and there's just way too many loving dudes? Is there a reason for that? I know nothing of these games, but that's the one thing that always stood out to me: all the soldiers so crammed into every battle they're in.

It’s because the feel of warhammer 40k has more in common with this:

than modern realistic warfare or hard sci-fi.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 27, 2024

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

Ultras have like 8 billion successor chapters which they pretend are legally distinct.

There’s a bit in the night lords trilogy where a character recalls the ultramarines legion storming their fortress world and delivering a savage rear end beating. He’s very clear that despite it really being a whole bunch of ultramarine successor chapters and the ultras themselves they all just neatly slot right back together into a cohesive legion sized force when they need to and the parent chapter calls.

Also btw gws greatest lore retcon success is that abbaddon actually owns now, both in the literal triumph sense and as a good as hell character. His appearances in the latter Horus heresy novels turn him into a genuinely compelling character (see stuff like saturnine) and the black legion novels are fukn great.

Also his mini slaps.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 30, 2024

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Yadoppsi posted:

Did any of the lore in "Xenology" get retconned out? I remember the big reveals from that folio were Orks and Eldar were created to fight the Necrons long ago and that devotees of the Laughing God may have created the Ethereal caste of Tau by transplanting organs from an alien hive-queen they kidnapped.

No the orks and eldar being creations of the old ones is solidly in the lore. Specifically though they made the Krork which are what the orks sort of devolved from. You know how orks get physically bigger, technologically able and psychically powerful the more fighting they do and how big a waaagh they gather into? Well Trayzn has a Krork in his museum collection and the thing is 12 metres tall and wearing armour that is compatible to astartes gear in sophistication.

The war of the beast books aren’t great but they do give an idea of what happens when orks start regaining some of that old power. The best bit is when they are shown to have an actual ambassador who clowns on the imperial senate on terra.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/s/YqIaf7Qab5

It’s also I guess sort of insinuated that Ghazghkull’s ascension and growth is the same process that created the antagonists in the war of the beast and it’s happening again.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Lobster Henry posted:

Meanwhile, there's Kharn the Betrayer, but I don't know anything about him, so he can become, uh, Khurn, I guess.

Kharn is great and despite the odds, given that him and his legion are blood mad berserkers in 40k, Kharn and the world eaters are one of the better written legions in the 30k novels. If you can take angron and make him compelling you’ve done well.

Just read betrayer.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I know it’s like 30 mins long and nobody has time for that, but I wasn’t aware this short story existed and it gives closure to one of the early heresy characters. Quite good readings of some other good lore bits from this guy too.

https://youtu.be/Kh-k8pI_AJY?si=dxNesex7AcKjhj9Y

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Do khorne demons ever need to just stop and take a poo poo

Neverborn 2 poo poo.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the emperor is a normal-human supremacist and didn't want space marines replacing normal humans. he even intended normal humans to replace him in ruling eventually, although malcador kinda scoffed at that

Ehhh, not entirely true. The emps whole thing was guiding the ascension of humanity and the primarch project was really about forcing the issue. The emperor was seriously uninterested in waiting for humanity to grow naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Servitors vary a lot from heavily augmented or altered humans with a degree of awareness to meat puppets with silica biowafers jammed in their brain bits to program them to do stuff.

Could be worse, you could be a thallax.