Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i guess gbs has a 40k thread now. ill check back in in about 500 pages

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

EorayMel posted:

I feel like there is a much better way to make the point "fascism is bad" that doesn't involve 25 phonebooks of lore

the point is actually that fascism is epically ftw

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Putty posted:

I don't know anything about 40k, ok bye guys

:thanks:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i have read all the books

that doesnt surprise me at all

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

being fascist in space is the ultimate evolution of humanity. mad?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Poohs Packin posted:

I was at the mall with my wife and she had to buy some clothes and suggested I go "hang out at the warhammer store or something".

Ive never played or shown any interest in WH40k.

lol devastating. shes got your rear end made

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

Racism aside, gotta love how 40,000 years in the future they're still using variations of names from our era, just spelled dumb.

Yndonesia
Merica
Sammuel
Ejipt
Randy

the warhammer lore is extrmeely lazy cause the original creators just made some random poo poo up for as to why their fun fantasy and space fantasy armies were fighting. see: the whfb map is literally just earth but a little wonky. the empire is basically just the holy roman empire. brettonia is 13th c france, etc. part of that was because they werent making hella bank on models yet, and you had to be able to find sculpts from mostly historicals

the fact that gw stuck with it and doubled and tripled down on it instead of retconning poo poo is because their idiot fans took it too seripously

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Benagain posted:

the primarch of the dark angels is named lion el'johnson

after the poet lionel johnson.

(writer of the poem "Dark Angel")

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

Also, titty_baby_ mentioned Warmachine and that's a game I wish had a bigger presence. Such a fun and flavorful game.

I wish there were more (any) true-to-life digital tabletop games so I could actually play them. I have a healthy game store a mile from my house, but time, money, and annoying dorks of in-person gaming make it very unappealing.

tabletop simulator is really good for this.

also there are like a million historical and fantasy rulesets that arent GW. use your own models from wherever, your own terrain, etc. and just buy teh rulebook

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

verbal enema posted:

A Ork book called 'Ere We Go is perfection

lol yeah

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

40k is for peeps with $40k to spare

could 3d print for like 25-50 cents a fig instead. but gw wont let you in their stores if you do that and may make attempts on your life

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

goons should not attempt to infringe on gw's intellectual property copywritten material

trap easily sprung. narcworth shows up when called for at the drop of a hat

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

serious 3d printing peeps for this kinda figurine (including gw themselves) print in resin, so you're still not getting out with less than a half grand for the middling machines, a full grand to two grand for the good ones. so serious capital cost there too

lol nah. im a serious 3d printing peep (3 printers for different applications) and this is not even close, even in CAD

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i will admit that sla printing in resin is a messy pain in the rear end which understandably puts a lot of people off. but it's so much cheaper than gw it's not even funny

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

brand new latest tech sure. completely unnecessary for the hobbyist cranking out 28 mm figs. i bought both my sla printers used for a couple hundred CAD each. the secondary market for these is nuts. they were practically new, 1 year post manufacture. i could go buy more right now for similar deep discounts if i wanted

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lotta peeps do buy them expecting to press a button and get a model. they're capital goods for doing work, which is basically what you have to do to get a good print

the effort is definitely understated, agreed. between calibration, supporting and slicing, and post processing, it can be more work than some bargain for. but my printers paid for themselves within a couple weeks and are amortized completely printing figs for pennies on the dollar now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just make friends with a 3D printer guy like you do with boat and horse people

yeah. im that guy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

J Edgar Smugworth

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

they look the same.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

girl space marines are unrealistic

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

like, the newspaper w titties

:dafuq:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

40k exists in an alternate universe where gay wasnt invented

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You are seriously kidding yourself with that marketing demographic phrenology poo poo. There's no real difference, never has been. If they just wanted Sigmarines to sell to the kiddies they could have just added them to Warhammer Fantasy, bringing it back as The Old World is sheepishly admitting that burning the setting to the ground and pissing on the ashes was a completely unforced error on their part that pissed off people who had stuck with it buying their poo poo for years.

lol let's go. warhammer thread turning out exactly as i expected

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

Hot take time. 3d printers are great but people who are into them vastly undersell how accessible they are for the average person because they don’t understand that tinkering around with slicer programs and optimising print supports while also troubleshooting printer issues and dealing with poison rear end resin isn’t as fun for other people as it is for them. It’s basically its own hobby.

Also while you can get great stuff out of printers it’s always the folks posting “3d printer goes brrr” that post up space marines that look like the Michelin man and go like “can’t even tell the difference from legit gw” :smug:.

getting easier every day tho

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

agreed, femaile custodes is unrealistic

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

Yeah you can tell because of the big titties plate

yup. need to have the breast and prefeably nipples represented on the armour. else how would i know theyre girlmarines

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

? You must be mistaken bud

yup. they were all girlmarines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They're playing a 10,000 point game on a 6 X 4 board

lol. accurate