Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Cornwind Evil posted:

And the guy who ran the nutcase Batman/Punisher murder-terror vigilantes was named Konrad Curze, which doesn't really have any hammer to the face secondary meaning, it's just incredibly edgelordy
E:fb
I'd bet this is a reference to colonel Kurtz from apocalypse now/heart of darkness, which was written by Joseph Conrad.

I have never played warhammer but it feels like it started out as equal parts satire and low-budget nerdery channeling a heavy metal aesthetic, just smashing out some goofy skull stuff for their space orcs/elves or whatever.
Followed up by a shift to including a lot of content from people who didn't get the joke and took the grimdark edgelording seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

How do the orks achieve ftl travel, then?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think it all makes sense through the lens of a bunch of nerdy teenagers in the UK during the 80s. Imperium are angry white people who voted for thatcher, eldar are snooty rich people gentrifying all the nice neighbourhoods, orks are students, punks, and common folk at a football game just out to face a good time

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 30, 2024

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember when they made those rulesets for custom vehicles in white dwarf, and so being the nerd I am I immediately made a nearly-2000-point Gundam Heavyarms Custom using the gunpla I had recently purchased. so it had like 12 twin-linked gatling heavy bolters and a bunch of gatling missile pods and multi-targeting so it could attack multiple enemy units at a time and it had like 12 structure points or whatever. I took it to my LGS and played against a guy who had a full imperial guard army and wanted to try it out against those new vehicle rules. so it was his entire 2k IG force against the one Gundam and two squads of space marine scouts iirc

he wound up getting really mad because every turn I would smear at least two entire units off the board with like 120 twin-linked heavy bolter shots and his tanks would routinely take about 30 missile hits each volley. even with a couple super lucky multi-penetrating catastrophic hits against the Gundam it still had like a third the structure points left by the time his last unit got wasted. me, being a middle school kid, was having a great time imagining it just doing this to the entire Imperial Guard frontline

https://i.imgur.com/qqOOmFu.mp4

Oh hell yeah, this sounds like the coolest thing. Reminds me of the modders who realised that Fromsoft's games have a lot of technical similarities and imported an armored core model into Elden Ring. It doesn't do anything other than provide a sense of scale, but surely one day we'll have our ridiculous crossover.