Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

EorayMel posted:

I feel like there is a much better way to make the point "fascism is bad" that doesn't involve 25 phonebooks of lore and being as edgy as humanly possible

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I went to a warhams tournament at the race track. It was held in a big hall/vendor area, every side had giant roll-up doors. The entire building was wide open, with a decent breeze, and it still stunk bad in there.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is though the Emperor is literally a corpse on a throne venerated by an empire he has no actual control over which does literally everything wrong either from ignoring what he tried to teach them or following it to the letter, with the implication he is aware of it all and can barely influence anything at all with the most Herculean effort

its because he's too busy being a living flashlight so Humanity can navigate the stars

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknNsZgzG1g

This is probably the best video in explaining the lore and 40k in general

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hamelekim posted:

Falling asleep to Leutin09's Warhammer 40k lore videos is one of my favorite things to do.

A 40 minute video on relic terminator armour? Yes please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB2fjqy3GVw

One of my favorite parts of warhams is theyre will be things in the lore that are impossibly ancient, utterly indestructable, and completely irreplaceable

and then on the tabletop some Orkz will smash apart with choppaz

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

Little known fact, while former president Donald J. Trump is often depicted as the Emperor of Mankind, he exclusively fielded Slaaneshi Chaos space marines at local tabletop games.

He also claimed to paint all his figures himself but anonymous sources say they were offered "large sums" to paint his armies for him (and never received said payment).

I cannot imagine how badly he would cheat at dice

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I’ve always felt that Chaos was the lamest part of both Warhammer settings. In theory they’re supposed to be dark reflections of humanity’s basest emotions, blah blah, but in practice they’re just four flavors of murderous psychopath. Their existence undercuts what little remains of the setting’s satire, as space fascism doesn’t seem so bad when there really ARE soul-eating demons out there.

They’re stupidly edgy, they’re unassailable, and they’re BORING.

If it were up to me, the Chaos gods would be a background element that sometimes pops up and burns itself out rather than the primary antagonist of the setting. I’d make the main conflict the Imperium vs xenos and Imperium vs itself, emphasizing how dogmatism and inflexibility make the Imperium its own worst enemy.

But given how baked-in Chaos is, that’s probably a completely different setting at that point.

Tbf Chaos was on a backburner for 20ish years while Gee-Dub introduced new armies. Then they sued someone for IP infringement and lost so loving badly they had to rename all their space elves Aeldari. Since then they've been fleshing out the various armies and rebuilding Chaos as the main antagonist to the setting. They also had a shitload of paperback books come out that nerd-splained all of the gory details of the Horus Heresy, so a lot of people are back into Chaos

edit

as part of the IP fuckup of the century, they killed Fantasy battles and launched not-marines in AoS. Thats been a lovely clusterfuck so now they're re-relaunching Fantasy battles and it looks pretty sweet. Fantasy always had the best models from Gee-Dub

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 28, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mr Teatime posted:

Chaos owns actually and its not that fascism is necessary because of chaos it’s that literal skull collecting blood berserkers and guys made mainly out of tentacles are somehow less horrifying than the fascist dystopia that is the imperium. It’s also explicitly clear in the setting that the imperium is its own worst enemy and how poo poo it is drives people towards chaos.

Space fascism is worse than chaos and that’s the joke.

there is a cool animation where some Imperial planet is attacked by dark elves and things are going badly so they put out a distress call to a Space Marine faction that rescued the planet a long time ago

then it turns out the Space Marine faction is Iron Warriors (chaos bad dudes) and the planet realizes its hosed

Warhammer 40k: No Good Answers

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Charles Bukowski posted:

I enjoyed a Z plot in one of the heresy books about a chaos titan princeps(main pilot) that's losing control of his mech for various reasons. He gets convinced to partake in a joint ritual to Khorne to get his machine possessed by a daemon and his ability to interface with the titan will be fully restored. Long story short after he loves his new and mighty daemon engine, it locks him into the throne with bone spikes and IV stuff to make him a living corpse puppet stuck inside its skull. Lol, didn't expect that one, didja dummy?!

Oh yeah, the other pilots in possessed mechs are in and out of consciousness, covered in poo poo and piss because they've been inside them and actively fighting for weeks and months, some of them are dead but the princeps keeps hearing them obey instructions, etc.

heres an excerpt, and its metal as gently caress :black101: (also a little bit gross)

quote:

For months now, her physical world had been wholly in the confines of the Hindurah's cockpit. She escaped it only by blending her senses with her engine's, living through its eyes and its guns, feeling Hindurah's movement as her own. When had Ulienne last breath fresh air instead of the sweaty reek coming out of the filtration slits behind her head? When had she last drunk anything but the recycled piss of her closest comrades? When had she last moved from her control throne?

Ulienne breathed in, catching the smell of her own poo poo. Her output filters had failed... when? Days ago? Weeks ago? Her legs were caed with her own waste. Her uniform was patchy with vomit that stank of stale nutrient paste. Once noticed, the stench of the various filths crusting her to her throne was omnipresent. Practically overwhelming.

Blearily, she caught sight of her own arm. Her hand was a black claw, fused to the metal-

'My princeps?'

Jolted from her reverie, she turned her gummy eyes towards Otesh. 'Moderatus,' she acknowledged. Sands of Mars, but she was tired, so drat tired.

'Awaiting your orders, my princeps.'

Ulienne stared at her crewmate. Otesh was carrion, her skin sick and sunless, her eyes dry. Ulienne could smell her now too, the spoiled meat sweetness of her. She'd been dead at least a week, even before they attempted the climb. At some point before she'd died, the moderatus had bitten off through her own tongue. Flies were growing fat on her face, crawling in and out of her open mouth.

Ulienne opened her eyes. Or closed them. The dream stopped, or perhaps started again. She wasn't sure which, nor was she sure if it really mattered anymore.

'My princeps?' Otesh said again.

'You're dead,' Ulienne said. Or thought. She couldn't tell if she was speaking or thinking. Even banked, Hindurah's reactor was pressing at the back of Ulienne's mind; a constant pressure right in the grey meat of her skull. 'Are you dead, Otesh?'

'My princeps?' Ulienne heard the words or imagined hearing them. They were spoken by Otesh or by the thing wearing Otesh's skin or they weren't spoken at all.

Ulienne felt wet warmth on her face. She was weeping. Or she was bleeding from her eyes again.

'Walk,' she said, closing her hands around the arms of her control throne. She felt and heard her gloves creak. She was still wearing them. Her hands weren't black claws melded to metal. They weren't. They weren't. Though she couldn't bring herself to look to make sure.

'We walk. Advance with the horde.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Crazy Achmed posted:

How do the orks achieve ftl travel, then?

short answer - the WAAAGH

long answer - the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH, also Space Hulks

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Eclipse12 posted:

Hmm. Can orks be corrupted by Chaos? I've never heard of Chaos Orks.

Just one more reason orks is best.

There was an Ork who fought a demon in the Warp and liked it so much that he jumped his ship into the Eye of Terror (Chaos homeland) to fight more demons. He led his Waaugh against demon planets, until they went to a big-bad demon planet and all died. Khorne liked them so much that they rose up the next day, and they immediately got back to krumpin. They fought and died and rose up again, over and over, until Khorne was so pleased that he transported them to his throne world where they fight demons eternally under his watch.

they arent aligned or allied with Chaos, they just love fighting

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Orkz make the transition to the warp by all of them chanting " 'Ere we go, 'Ere we go" until they jump.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Orks also like to bolt giant effigies of toothy maws onto the front of their hulks to scare the daemons away, and since that's exactly the logic both daemons and orks work on, it sometimes works. Or they just get in-flight entertainment.

Apparently GW occasionally concedes that Chaos corrupted Orks can happen, but it's pretty rare and also usually pretty hard to tell them apart from regular Orks anyway, especially in the case of Khorne. Gork and Mork just already fill their spiritual needs perfectly.

Yeah, there's some heavy implications that the Space Marines were meant to be temporary and had a built-in expiration date, like the Thunder Warriors before them, and suggestions that the pre-Heresy Space Wolves were a legion built around wiping out other Space Marines for that purpose. The whole deal they have about being the Emperor's chosen warriors who will not know fear and all that poo poo basically makes them extra prone to falling to Chaos out of pride, entitlement and spite if they feel they aren't getting the respect they deserve. There's also some theories that the Golden Throne was meant to have Magnus the Red plugged into it permanently rather than the Emperor himself.

Of course everything went so badly wrong and no one even knows what the plan was, because Big E is just wonderful at communicating and delegating. They have a hard enough time stopping the Imperium's own leadership from running it even more into the ground than before, because every time someone gets enough power they immediately go completely mad with it and set half the Imperium against itself again. And then there's poo poo that's apparently had a huge impact in the setting but was so dire it's only vaguely talked about, like The Harrowing.

Big E was a paranoid weirdo but there were a few people who knew the plan, like Malcador The Sigilite, but they all died before passing along any of their knowledge.

Primarchs flipping out and burning down anything remotely do with the Heresy in the aftermath of the siege of Terra didnt help things

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

Or some of the Chaos marines. The 2 I'm thinking of are everyone's best friend Kharn the Betrayer, and a noise marine that spends all his time riding around on a motorcycle that's blasting music at deadly levels while doing super cocaine, emga heroin, and krokodil. Dude doesn't want to fight, just party as hard as inhumanly possible.

that would be doomrider. He does is cocaine

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Big E smooched two primarchs and now they're missing

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly enough it's not the Iron Hands that the Iron Warriors have particular beef with, they have a particularly deep hatred for the Imperial Fists, even moreso than their deep hatred for literally everything else.

its because they had a literal Iron Cage match, and the Iron Warriors were winning until Undertaker Ultramarines showed up and tag-teamed them with the Imperial Fists

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The Horus Heresy models are so much better than regular 40k but their pricing is insane even by Gee-Dub standards

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

That was true back in the old days when it was all resin and you were paying like 50 bucks for five guys. But now most of the main guys you'd want in any Marines army is in plastic, and the prices are in some cases better than 40k models.

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/Space-Marines-Primaris-Intercessors-2020?queryID=f939a3263a9c53585c2bd1cb689f3ecb

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/horus-heresy-legion-astartes-mk3-tactical-squad-2023?queryID=9b75b6598f87f8a7f9fe070b8716f946

although tbh I've bought plastic space barbies twice and got as far as assembling them before I gave up. I'm not falling for those tricks again

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

now THIS is what I'm talking about

This dude has the absolute best rule name in any game ever

:black101:NONE MAY STAY MY WRATH:black101:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
They also have a retro-50s scifi thing with Admech

(I can't post the Robits because imgur is being weird with its April Fools Day nonsense :rolleyes:)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

necrons and orks have basically all of the good xenos books. despite being the elves of the setting (and theoretically by default the second most important faction, by tolkien rules), 40k eldar books basically all suck

Space elves and dark elves are the most boring faction. They're fundamentally static - the Space Elves are like "oh no we blew up the universe will all our loving, now we're sad" and the space dark elves are hot topic drow. Rogue Traders do pirates better than Corsairs

Exodites are vaguely interesting but AFAIK there is zero fiction about them, and Gee-Dub is too cowardly to release elves riding dinosaurs in space

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

I wish I could grow some orks in my backyard

you need a really big backyard, or you'll only get snotlings or grots

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:eyepop: how do I 3d print one of these

tbf its a minimum of 1200 bones to own anything from Gee-Dub this size

Barudak posted:

Not even with the expansion packs? I know the necrons were unbalanced as gently caress but come on, the imperial guard were fun.

:commissar: If you wont serve in combat you will serve on the firing line

Dawn of War 1 and 2 were so much fun, although completely different

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

the blood angels from that box I also posted come without their helmets on.

angry vampire face

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

They're taller and narrower and some of them are girls now.

The new trailer's pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAFvQzSwIEM

That trailer is p. sweet, and seeing a girl hit things with a hammer must make certain James Workshop fans seethe

Primaris-ing the models is a good move too

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

Thank God they didn't use a d12

11 and 12 are vortex grenade results

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
IIRC Space Marines have been intimate with women

IIRC but also its canon that they smell terrible

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
its funny that 40k's original women are goth pinups, but all the MANLY MEN take their cumgeneseed from other dead MANLY MEN

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cornwind Evil posted:

The Emperor has a Text To Speech Device basically says this is true, but that the Emperor was such a godly being that it seemed like all the women he was with died. I suspect the maker, in trying to make the Emperor more 'personable', had to dance around the concept of 'Yeah he somehow hosed a bunch of women to death, somehow', no details on the exact reasons (Text Emperor says "It was all willing, I never forced myself", but even SO, if they all DIED to his knowledge...) It could be that the act was fine but being exposed to 'raw Emperor' was akin to radiation poisoning or something.

Something that just popped into my head: okay so the Primarchs are his 20 clone sons, Chaos scattered them all over the universe which led to them having the wide range of upbringings that set up the Heresy...did they ever explain HOW they did that? Were all 20 in some sort of nursery and the Chaos gods popped in and gleefully chucked all the infants into random Warp portals before spray painting CHAOS ROOLZ ANATHEMA DROOLZ on the wall and leaving?

is TTS canon? I thought it was just a fandom thing

also OG 40k had that exact scenario - Big E went down to the lab to defrost his sons and they were all missing. I think that some of the later books revised/improved on this

EDIT

also i wanna say that the original versions of the Emperor's Children / Starchild thing was women met Big E psychically/in their dreams and then had immaculate births

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 5, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

It can't be understated how horrible it was to play against Eldar in 2nd edition of 40k.

I still get irrationally angry when I think about pop up attacks

this but 4th edition Tau

also the person I played against was a scumbag cheater

never again

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Rambo planet is the most important planet in the Stallone system , other being Rocky planet, Cliffhanger planet, and Stop or my Mom Will Shoot planet.

there is also a Cobra moon

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

the henry caville show def needs an ork episode

hatching out of mushrooms, instinctively building weapons and armor and vehicles, fightin’, the works. All from the ork point of view- “hey wat are we doin’ this all for? *shrugs*”

It could be a comedy episode and end with main cast characters showing up to fight the orks

I hope Henry Carvill's 40k show is slife-of-life vignettes of various Imperial worlds and how they deal with the various alien entities

the genestealer/tyranid invasion can be a two-parter

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Fatty posted:

Why is Mortarion green, given that this would be pre-heresy?

Foreshadowing being sent to the poison planet

also re: Aos vs Warhammer Fantasy - wasn't original Warham Fantasy TT a complete slog to play? i.e. the game could go for hours and hours with buckets of dice, unkillable bullshit, movement trays, but also the game could be over in the 1st round if certain factions like Slaan or High Elves made their magic scroll rolls? and as an extension of that, its why AoS rules at launch were grognardy beerhammer bullshit?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Yes, the Forges of Mars trilogy. It also shows up a bit in other books all over the place. Basically, it depends entirely on your rank. High ranking officers get nice quarters with glassaic devotional windows and food and so on. and then it goes all the way down to, like, classic barracks style bunk bed situations with a regular allotment of vita-paste or slab or some other food-like substance from the galley.

Below that, you've got stuff like gun-slaves who are worked to death loading shells the size of a city bus into the guns, the communities of hangers-on who build shanty towns in various unused sections of the ship, mutants and castaways eking out survival in the darkest forgotten corners of the ship, and, of course, lots and lots of servitors.

Isn't there a story where some of the slave crew complain about the conditions and rebel, and the Imperial officer is like "yes of course you're right this is horrible!" and has them all turned into servitors?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
there is literally 0% the Amazon show is not about spess mahreens IIRC space marines outsell other factions 2-1, maybe more?
I'm assuming the show completely glosses over/redefines how geneseed or initiation works, keeps all the other factions off screen, and its like a TV show version of Aliens. Potentially weird flashbacks to spess mahreens fighting other factions, but it will be very strictly limited

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Molothecat posted:

they'll also look into the camera when they say things like "a horde of space-faring bugs that consume all organic material? Yeah RIGHT." so the audience can go "ooooooh" and then pause it and explain it to their very patient so's.

not knowing what any of the enemies are is pretty on-point for 40k tho

maybe it will be an inquisitor story with one spess mahreen to keep CGI costs low

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

Nah so off the top of my head:

Warhammer fantasy world explodes everyone dies

Chaos fucks around gets bored fucks off

Gods old and new take up life in worlds slowly coalescing around the winds of magic

Age of wonders

Chaos is back baby! Refugees crowd into realm of azyr

Age of sucking rear end

Age of sigmar begins with unveiling of storm cast, the greatest heroes of all reforged into unkillable beings with no downsides whatsoever! An alliance of basically every non chaos god forms that will absolutely last the test of time and won't disentegrate the second it encounters friction

Chaos kicked on its rear end, slannesh kicked to another dimension

Stormcast start to show problems. The rear end in a top hat gods of betrayal betray.

Chaos comes back but now everyone else is strong enough to not get overwhelmed immediately

Present

If I was looking for a way to make my gobbos fight dwarves, this is the most repelling backstory imaginable

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

Here's my fantasy game about orks and humans fighting. The backstory is The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter Wilson only any time someone non-white is mentioned just replace them with a skeleton or something.

are there dragons, and more importantly are the dragons themed to each army

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I think this is why I dislike AoS - I can't stand the way they named things. On this map, how many things are named maw, and how many things are synonyms of eating. Yeah this is the continent of beasts which eat things I guess, but its somehow more boring than making everything Not-England. Everything has puerile adjective-based names (yeah I know 40k does the same but in Latin) For example, instead of dwarf slayers they're now Doomseekers from the Fyreslayer lodge or whatever.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

It’s not random, Mawpaths are the routes travelled by nomadic Ogor tribes. So the Heartgulper Mawpath is the territory of the Heartgulper Ogor tribe.

so why not call it Heartgulper territory, or Heartgulper kingdom or duchy or Heartgulper tribe? Why use the adjective-verb-noun combination exclusively? As an outsider looking in, I'm trying to google all of this stuff to make sense, and I'm googling every loving word in a sentence because they had to rename everything

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its for never losing a copyright suit again

they got laughed out of court for trying to defend their spurious copyright on Space Marines, but Adeptus Astartes can readily be defended. (Imperial Guard vs. Astra Militarum, etc)

its banal and tiresome. No other franchise is jumping through these hoops to protect every last sentence of their IP. I tried looking up what the Stone Nautilor was, and its a giant stone shell of a Godbeast that is a fixed point :words::words::words:

I'll take a Number 4 large sized with an iced tea, please

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

From what I understand GW is very litigious about anyone using their IP for any reason. Usually you take legal action if someone is cutting into your profits somehow (Bill Watterson explained that they never took legal action about Calvin & Hobbes being on t-shirts or truck decals because they never did any merchandising so it wasn't fiscally prudent to) but GW takes steps to keep as much control over their product as possible, regardless of if it's a net gain or not.

I could be completely wrong though, this is mostly pieced together from rumors and stuff.

It all goes back to GWs pyrrhic lawsuit against Chapterhouse, a 3rd party mini company. Gee-Dub claiming copyright on generic science fiction things like "space marine" and all the Tolkien ripoff stuff was effectively dumpstered / pushed into the public domain. So, in return, they went nuts renaming everything to make sure nobody could advertise Adeptus Astartes minis , plus they completely cut WHFB* and launched AoS a year later, with the aforementioned Ogor and whatnot. Gee-Dub is fanatical that if you play their game, with their rules, you use their figurines. Even bits like female marine heads, different looking chainswords, etc. will (supposedly) get you thrown out of a Games Workshop store / Games Workshop tournaments. Ofc most people play beerhammer with their friends, so they 3d print or purchase different things because they like the aesthetic better.
I don't necessarily care that they did this, but I really liked WHFB universe from the Total War games and the AoS naming scheme gives me a headache. I will admit the new AoS models are bitchin

*as other posters noted itt, WHFB was basically a dead franchise anyway, with many of the models using the original sculpts from 20+ years ago and made in pewter.