Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The planet is called Murder and the aliens are gigantic mantis things that are fast as gently caress and decapitate dudes. The half turned Emperors Children find it, notice the aliens are jerks but not bad to spar with, so they spend a while committing genocide via 1v1 honour duels with bugs. It's incredibly dumb and Fulgrim was my least favourite heresy book. There's a good bit at the end though when Fulgrim thinks he's totally hosed up and hit bottom, but then Hahaha he fucks up even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Genestealer cults prove that the nids are in fact enormous and utter dicks like the rest.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If I played tabletop, I'd play orks or imperial guard. Just throw as much cheap mass produced dakka and hiveworld flesh as you can until your enemy is dead.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The handful of nekrons that are either cool, or so crazy that they're cool, are great fun in the serious grimdark. The Silent King is an interesting figure. Otherwise they're mostly bland efficient murder robots but also some of them like wearing people's skins.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Eclipse12 posted:

Exactly how tall are the biggest Titans? I knew they vary in size but it seems like the average one is only around 100 feet tall, which seems kinda meh. They be hiding inside buildings and stuff. But then you look at any art of them and their absolutely enormous, bigger than a mountain with an entire university as a hat. And the books usually refer to a very small crew, just a handful, but it seems you'd have dozens working it. What gives, GW?
100 meters

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://m.youtube.com/@ABorderPrince

This guy does readings of the short stories and novellas, excerpts from books, and lectures on famous battles or events(in character, with all the info taken from multiple books), etc. He's definitely done some of the short stories mentioned just above. There's a particular one about a tyranid invasion from the pov of a regular guardsman and its probably one of the more genuinely terrifying 40k things I've read. Not just loving weird and/or niche fetish stuff the author has couched in.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed a Z plot in one of the heresy books about a chaos titan princeps(main pilot) that's losing control of his mech for various reasons. He gets convinced to partake in a joint ritual to Khorne to get his machine possessed by a daemon and his ability to interface with the titan will be fully restored. Long story short after he loves his new and mighty daemon engine, it locks him into the throne with bone spikes and IV stuff to make him a living corpse puppet stuck inside its skull. Lol, didn't expect that one, didja dummy?!

Oh yeah, the other pilots in possessed mechs are in and out of consciousness, covered in poo poo and piss because they've been inside them and actively fighting for weeks and months, some of them are dead but the princeps keeps hearing them obey instructions, etc.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ChickenHeart posted:

40k Titans rule because they're ancient, irreplaceable war machines that are revered as the pinnacle of advanced engineering by their respective factions, wielding armaments capable of annihilating cities and blasting star ships out of the sky

Then they step on some uneven terrain, get in a fight with a really big dinosaur, or an ork on a bike does a sick jump to crash through the cockpit and the whole thing falls over and bursts into flames - the perfect encapsulation of Warhammer's "style and majesty at the cost of everything else" mindset

That story about the mega dinosaur planet owns and I loved every moment of the tech priests getting absolutely clowned.

There's one about an ork warboss that won multiple 1v1s with imperial knights. The warboss was not in a mek.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Orks are da best enemies because it's never edgelordy chaos or boring eldar, it's just violence and funny dumb poo poo that just works. They don't usually get to win in stories, and those ones aren't so funny. Usually a guard regiment trudging through a swamp world to hunt orks and does not have a good time when it gets to melee range.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Ok so in the 41st Millennium mankind can navigate the Warp because of the Astronomicon, the light of the Emperor on Terra, serves as a fixed point in the otherwise inchoate madness of the Immaterium. But what I don’t get is, how did they navigate the Wsrp during the Great Crusade when the Emperor was moving around?

Maybe he kept the beacon going from all the way across the galaxy? He is the most powerful single entity in the universe when he goes full super saiyan.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Guy Haley has written some books about the Gullyman kickin' rear end and being Hella mad the imperium sucks poo poo now. There's lots of good audiobooks to be found online, many read by Tobey Longworth. I've listened to an 40k audiobook every week or two for the past 2 years. There's so much stuff! Dan Abnett has written some good 40k series'. Sandy Mitchell as well.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't play myself, but I did work for a guy who had a who had a room full of that poo poo. It was yellow and red

Iron Hands are grey with silver. Iron Warriors are grey, with black and yellow hazard stripes for trim. One is "good" and one is not very nice.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Pertie and his boys were not well treated. The Dorn/Iron Fists beef is one of those dark reflections type deals. They're so similar they must hate one another.

An entire iron fists successor chapter was written out of history because the majority of them joined with the Iron warriors during the war of the beast.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Who would have thought a secret doom fortress was actually just mile upon mile of killing corridors and death traps to murder them all? Though.. why didn't they just have the whole thing explode when Dorne got there? Ah that's no fun I guess.

e:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

You know you can go to a Warhammer store and get a free painting tutorial, right?

the Judge Dredd guys are back

Are those Arbites? I've never heard of an arbites army in 40k, that's interesting. Maybe they're for one of the other 40k rp tabletop things? They're the federal police, so they usually come up vs genestealer or chaos cults in citywide fighting, organizing the planetary defense forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Farsight is a good Tau. He wields a chaos blade and really loves killing orcs. The chaos blade makes him age slowly, but he doesn't really know that. He takes no poo poo and I think probably killed some ethereals who were jerks.