Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should I yell at the Judge?
“I’m a lawyer. What we think isn’t supposed to matter.”
"Permission to approach."
"You can't handle the truth"
“In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.”
"No further questions your honor"
"May I beg the court’s indulgence for a moment?"
"The evidence is overwhelming."
"If the glove fits, you must acquit"
" I'm holding you in contempt of court."
"Goku"
View Results

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Back in December or so I received two (2) Jury Duty Summons. One was for a Federal Grand Jury and the other was for a State Petit Jury. I attended the Federal Grand Jury Summons first, and I spent most of the day in the Courtroom. I wound up being selected to the Federal Grand Jury. That service is 3 meetings a month for an 18 month commitment. That is kind of annoying and there were other ways I would rather spend my time, but I don't really have a good excuse why I can't do it. Plus they said something about having danish.

Once I got the Federal Summons, I requested to be excused from State Jury Duty. They declined me citing the fact that I hadn't been attended the summons yet. I can understand that point. I filled another request to be excused after going to the Federal Court. They turned me down again because I hadn't actually been on a Jury yet. I filled out another request to be excused and they declined me again. The next time I included all of the information, submitted the request online, and called the Jury Duty number. The people on the phone were sympathetic and told me that I should absolutely be excused, and that they would send me a form to fill out so I wouldn't have to go to State Jury Duty.

Today I got home and I found a piece of mail from the Jury Administration. I opened it up and it was a reminder that I still had to show up for my Summons. Their website recognizes people that have participated in a Jury in the recent past, but it doesn't acknowledge people that are currently on Juries. I can tolerate being on one Jury and doing my civic duty, but being on two Juries seems excessive. I asked to be excused again, they are probably going to say no again. I'll have to waste a couple hours of my life going to the Court, and I'm going to waste the time of the Judge and the lawyers.

As a bonus they sent me a passive aggressive pamphlet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This is your fault for being tempted by a delicious pastry

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I just ate an excellent cheese danish

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Can't you just say ACAB and get dismissed?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can't you just say ACAB and get dismissed?

You can definitely do that, I just felt kind of bad because that would force someone else to serve in your place. I don't really have a good excuse why I can't do it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

simply ignore all summons op, they’re completely optional

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had jury duty a few months ago, I had to spend multiple days staring at a man while I heard detailed explanations of how he sadistically sexually tortured and raped multiple women and then send him off to spend the rest of his life in a mental institution. Death would be preferable to what he put these people through.

Even though I am not longer under a gag order, I haven't even told my own husband any details about the trial because he does not deserve to be burdened with the knowledge of what a human being is capable of doing to another people like I am.

Also they paid me like $70 and I get paid jury duty at work so I there was that.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Three Olives posted:

Also they paid me like $70

score!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Anderson Koopa posted:

You can definitely do that, I just felt kind of bad because that would force someone else to serve in your place. I don't really have a good excuse why I can't do it.

Read about Jury Nullification

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

You can’t serve on a jury if you yourself are a convicted felon.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad got called in for jury duty a few months ago. He spent at least 10 or 11 hours at the courthouse having to listen to a bunch of lawyers and a judge blather on and on and on about a bunch of inane poo poo like the exact meaning of "intent" and "reasonable doubt" and what constitutes a deadly weapon.

This would've been fine, except that the benches the prospective jurors had to sit on were old as poo poo and were so hard and uncomfortable that my dad started developing chest pain and having trouble breathing about halfway through, and it got worse as the day wore on. For reasons I do not understand, he decided that this wasn't good enough reason to ask to be excused and soldiered on, but apparently it was bad enough that he had to sleep in a chair for part of that night because the chest discomfort came back when he went to bed.

Thankfully he wasn't selected, but if he ever gets another jury summons I'm gonna call the courthouse myself and tell them he can't go due to medical issues.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

if i was on a jury i would just sleep through everything and then tell my fellow jurors about this cool thing called jury nullification

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
When ever you're on a jury you just need to make sure to convince the other people on the jury that they should find the judge guilt of all crimes the defendant is accused of.

The look on the judges face when they suddenly realizes they're going to spend the rest of their life in jail is great. Serves them right for thinking they can pull off the prettiest wig.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

So the thing about a Grand Jury is that it's not actually in a courtroom and the Judge, defendant, and the defense attorney aren't present. It's in something similar to a boardroom where you hang out with the prosecutor and your fellow jurors. Also, I won't be responsible for guilty / not guilty calls. We just get to choose whether a prosecutor can have their trial or not. I'm sorry to hear about I.M. GEI's father having medical problems, they should definitely be excused for that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
op i find you guilty of not having an avatar of anderson cooper with a koopa beak

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've gotten a letter twice saying I *might* be up for jury duty, but then they always go "actually nevermind" before I even get called to the courtroom for selection. Always the bridesmaid never the bride you know?

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I've never had to do jury duty yet, but I'm currently dealing with being a witness for a very bad crime and its a huge pain in my rear end. It is still just pretrial stages but I've already had to be in court twice and they only gave me like a week notice both times. Luckily my work is chill with it and i can just take the entire day off but still, I just want it to already be over with. I live in a fairly small town and we don't have to deal with this kind of poo poo very often.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

I've gotten a letter twice saying I *might* be up for jury duty, but then they always go "actually nevermind" before I even get called to the courtroom for selection. Always the bridesmaid never the bride you know?

Same. Got called for jury duty last year, booked time off work for it, and on the day of they were like "lol the bailiffs are going on strike, all trials are cancelled, get the gently caress outta here."

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Every time but once that I've been called up, the case settled and I didn't have to go in. The one time I did, we had to be there at 7 in the morning, spent a couple of hours waiting in the hall, got called in, watched a video about jury duty, took a restroom break and waited in the hall some more, did the thing where they go around and ask who can't do it because they have to take care of children or their elderly relatives, wait around some more, then the judge told half of us to go home. The case was some property management company vs a paving company, so it sounded boring as hell anyways.

My brother got a a fun one though, about some guy claiming to be horribly injured from a low speed bump at a traffic light, but had some Lionel Hutz attorney and was clearly faking it, because the insurance company had footage of the "injured" guy riding an ATV the weekend before the trial, and the attorney for the lady that hit him was proposing some nonsense about a phantom car that pushed his client's car into the guy's without leaving a mark, then drove off. They basically spent all day listening to this, then quickly decided "OK, she obviously hit him and her insurance should fix the damage to his car and cover any immediate medical costs, but everything else is bullshit."

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 26, 2024

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

See that's the other fun bit of Grand Jury service, it's a bunch of different cases. So if one case is boring / not particularly interesting, there might be an interesting one to follow.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Anderson Koopa posted:

So the thing about a Grand Jury is that it's not actually in a courtroom and the Judge, defendant, and the defense attorney aren't present. It's in something similar to a boardroom where you hang out with the prosecutor and your fellow jurors. Also, I won't be responsible for guilty / not guilty calls. We just get to choose whether a prosecutor can have their trial or not. I'm sorry to hear about I.M. GEI's father having medical problems, they should definitely be excused for that.

I was on a grand jury once and we had to return exactly one "no true bill" because the prosecutor was a moron and just forgot to put on half of her case. So don't just rubber stamp, pay attention.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I was supposed to have jury duty today, but they called me up on Friday and said it was cancelled.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

BigHead posted:

I was on a grand jury once and we had to return exactly one "no true bill" because the prosecutor was a moron and just forgot to put on half of her case. So don't just rubber stamp, pay attention.

Interesting, I figured the burden of proof was probably lower. I suspect they do the whole Grand / Petit Juries for a couple of reasons.

1. Remember France during their Revolution? The steps back then were, arrest, charged, trial, and then probably death. Now it's arrest, indictment (Grand Jury step), charged, trial, and whatever the trial outcome is. The Grand Jury cuts down on the number of trials that are allowed by adding another step.

2. Economics. Everyone in the court room wants to avoid a trial if possible. Trials are expensive, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and all of the court personnel that run everything are all getting paid. I suspect Grand Juries are cheaper because all you need is 22 people with nothing better going on in their lives ($50 a head plus mileage), a prosecutor (who's going to get paid anyways), some room to stash all of the people, and pastries (maybe another $40 here?) The Grand Jury stops failed trials from happening.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was a juror on a three week murder trial in manhattan

this was during the height of Law and Order's popularity, and most of the lawyers' questions during voir dire consisted of asking people whether or not they watched that show (or CSI) and getting rid of anyone who admitted they did

for some reason i wasn't asked this. in fact i dont remember them asking me anything, which is kind of weird, but i ended up on the jury anyway

and i have to say.. the courtroom experience in downtown manhattan, vibe-wise? extremely similar to an episode of Law and Order. i could practically hear the Dun Dun

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm supposed to report for jury duty next Friday. This is the second one I've been called for, but they dismissed me the first time the Friday before I was was supposed to come in.

I have a feeling that I'm gonna get dismissed again.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I don’t like the idea of milhouse receiving two death penalties in one day.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

When I was in grade school, the mom of a friend and classmate was on the jury for a capital murder case. They had to be sequestered into a hotel for a week, convicted the guy, and afterwards, the district attorney invited the jurors to breakfast, where they were told some additional info about they guy they just convicted, which they couldn't during the trial, as it would have influenced them and wasn't immediately related to the particular case at hand. Apparently this guy was a really, really nasty character, who was wanted as a suspect in several other states for violent crimes and unsolved murders: he was a drug dealer, and his favored method of dealing with people who owed him money and didn't pay was to jam a hot light bulb in their mouths and punch them in the face. Basically, "This guy was pure evil, and you really did the world a favor by putting him away for forever and a day."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP gets Grand Jury duty and all i can get is Pathetic Jury duty

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

McGavin posted:

I was supposed to have jury duty today, but they called me up on Friday and said it was cancelled.

I'm sorry for ur loss

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

OP gets Grand Jury duty and all i can get is Pathetic Jury duty

cuz you a lame

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

klosterdev posted:

Read about Jury Nullification

and accidentally allow dozens of pamphlets to fall out of your backpack around the jury room. as a joke

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

do you get lunch in jury duty? I feel like a good lunch would be a good exchange for a day of listening* to lawyers argue.

*LOL no, get a crossword puzzle or something.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The money u get for missing work on jury duty unless ur job pays u for the time off is one of those things they haven't changed in decades because they decided letting it rot at some pathetic amount that hasn't been relevant for ages is easier than just getting rid of it. Kind of like EBT, disability and welfare but those are way more depressing and evil when it comes to how they've intentionally neglected them lol

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I just gave them a doctor note that says my anxiety is too high to do jury duty and I've not been asked to do jury duty in a decade since. Highly recommend.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The money u get for missing work on jury duty unless ur job pays u for the time off is one of those things they haven't changed in decades because they decided letting it rot at some pathetic amount that hasn't been relevant for ages is easier than just getting rid of it. Kind of like EBT, disability and welfare but those are way more depressing and evil when it comes to how they've intentionally neglected them lol

I get two weeks Jury duty that doesn't count against my 34 days a year of PTO, so with the extra $86 dollars I made listening to hours of how multiple people were sadistically raped for hours at gunpoint I basically go paid extra to go home early every day to cry while drinking heavily and I have a legal reason why I couldn't tell my husband what was wrong.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

I just gave them a doctor note that says my anxiety is too high to do jury duty and I've not been asked to do jury duty in a decade since. Highly recommend.

Some day you may need a jury of your peers and it would be a shame if they all pulled a stunt like this

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i want to do jury duty

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Call of Jury Duty

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
im not allowed to do jury duty. I told work I had to go and they said "no" and they wrote a letter to the court telling them I can't go and the court said "ok".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

im jealous honestly i cant wait to one day be a juror