Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should I yell at the Judge?
“I’m a lawyer. What we think isn’t supposed to matter.”
"Permission to approach."
"You can't handle the truth"
“In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.”
"No further questions your honor"
"May I beg the court’s indulgence for a moment?"
"The evidence is overwhelming."
"If the glove fits, you must acquit"
" I'm holding you in contempt of court."
"Goku"
View Results

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

I've gotten a letter twice saying I *might* be up for jury duty, but then they always go "actually nevermind" before I even get called to the courtroom for selection. Always the bridesmaid never the bride you know?

Every time but once that I've been called up, the case settled and I didn't have to go in. The one time I did, we had to be there at 7 in the morning, spent a couple of hours waiting in the hall, got called in, watched a video about jury duty, took a restroom break and waited in the hall some more, did the thing where they go around and ask who can't do it because they have to take care of children or their elderly relatives, wait around some more, then the judge told half of us to go home. The case was some property management company vs a paving company, so it sounded boring as hell anyways.

My brother got a a fun one though, about some guy claiming to be horribly injured from a low speed bump at a traffic light, but had some Lionel Hutz attorney and was clearly faking it, because the insurance company had footage of the "injured" guy riding an ATV the weekend before the trial, and the attorney for the lady that hit him was proposing some nonsense about a phantom car that pushed his client's car into the guy's without leaving a mark, then drove off. They basically spent all day listening to this, then quickly decided "OK, she obviously hit him and her insurance should fix the damage to his car and cover any immediate medical costs, but everything else is bullshit."

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

When I was in grade school, the mom of a friend and classmate was on the jury for a capital murder case. They had to be sequestered into a hotel for a week, convicted the guy, and afterwards, the district attorney invited the jurors to breakfast, where they were told some additional info about they guy they just convicted, which they couldn't during the trial, as it would have influenced them and wasn't immediately related to the particular case at hand. Apparently this guy was a really, really nasty character, who was wanted as a suspect in several other states for violent crimes and unsolved murders: he was a drug dealer, and his favored method of dealing with people who owed him money and didn't pay was to jam a hot light bulb in their mouths and punch them in the face. Basically, "This guy was pure evil, and you really did the world a favor by putting him away for forever and a day."