Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Lol if the wiki summaries are accurate re: the sequel

The people are saved by the power of truth telling investigative journalism and the intervention of the military, who restore the USA, ensuring this would never happen again

I chortled when I read that bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The worst thing about the Gilead elite was the hypocrisy.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I watched Margaret Atwood on The View and got the impression that she may be a Biosphere Collapse thread superstar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9OZpj1NKQ&t=187s

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
book was good when I read it, have no idea why the abortion version kept getting hemorrhaged on Hulu
Not good anymore

Alias Grace is a favorite, I liked the Netflix miniseries as well
I think the book was one of her best

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Paging Some Guy TT

The Handmaid’s Tale has occupied an increasingly baffling niche in American pop culture. On the one end, it’s the biggest streaming series on Hulu, going a long way to firmly establishing its status as a major service back in 2017. On the other end, people tend to keep forgetting that it’s still going on, even the liberals who are the show’s core audience. It’s easy enough to guess why: the first season mostly adapted the original book, the story of June living in the fundamentalist state of Gilead, which forces fertile women to act as handmaids to men to try and get pregnant.

Subsequent seasons have shown the evolution of June into a terrorist figure who works to bring enslaved women out of Gilead. The fourth season ended with June and a group of other former handmaids successfully assassinating Fred Waterford, June’s first master, but more recently a defector from the Gilead regime. The first three episodes of the fifth season have mostly been handwringing about whether killing Fred Waterford was a wise thing to do either morally or politically. On the flip side of the plot, Serena Waterford negotiates her new life as a pregnant widow, attempting to find a means back into the leadership of Gilead, and not having much success as of the end of the third episode.

The Handmaid’s Tale is a property that would seem to be of greater urgency now compared with the 2017 debut. Hulu made screeners available for the fifth season before the Dobbs decision eliminated the constitutional right to abortion in the United States–months ahead of the actual premiere, but weeks after someone leaked that decision to the press. Protests during that time featured women dressed up as handmaids with some frequency. Indeed, the handmaid costume has been a popular one for liberals engaging in political protest in recent years, making the obvious statement that we’re only a few steps removed as a society from becoming Gilead, where women are little more than property.

The messaging of The Handmaid’s Tale is quite explicitly that politics founded on religious beliefs are bad. Yet conservatives have never shown themselves to be much threatened or insulted by this imagery. Honestly it’s not clear whether they’ve ever even noticed it, despite the directness of the critique. Why is that?

Well, despite the dour, dark presentation, the main reason is just that it’s very hard to take The Handmaid’s Tale seriously as speculative fiction unless a person’s already bought into the premise. I mean that literally more than aesthetically. The original book was quite vague about what exactly Gilead was and what political events prompted it. The TV series hasn’t been much better, despite the sheer increased quantity of content. It leaves fans trying to scrape together the physical location of Gilead from background props. The show focuses entirely on the character drama created by the setting rather than the setting itself. June and to a lesser extent Serena are the clear protagonists with the political machinations of larger groups generally taking place off-screen.

The biggest problem with this is that the premise of The Handmaid’s Tale was always a bit absurd, and borderline fetishistic. Allegedly Gilead came into being because of a fertility crisis, one that presumably is also affecting the United States and Canada. Yet all the depressing negativity is chiefly because of all the women being tortured. Anyone expecting Children of Men-style despair in secular and religious countries alike about an impending demographic apocalypse won’t find any. No one in Gilead acts like there’s a crisis, with polite dinner table conversation seeming to be the main social priority.

But this is probably unavoidable. In response to such a crisis, they’d have to consider male fertility in addition to female fertility, yet Gilead’s weirdly polygynous structure seems to be based on status, not fertility. And inevitably, every 10 minutes I spend trying to watch The Handmaid’s Tale I just end up asking myself, why do the men of Gilead put up with this? I’m not implying that men are inherently good people here, I mean the entire handmaid system must completely wreck Gilead’s gender ratios, to the point that most men couldn’t even have girlfriends, let alone wives. Who’s fighting in Gilead’s army that scares everyone so much?

The Handmaid’s Tale could address these critiques by adding in materialist elements. The fact that the show has made no attempt to do so well into the fifth season is an indictment of its ultimately shallow social commentary. The Handmaid’s Tale is so divorced from any actual right-wing political philosophy there’s not anything for an actual right-wing philosopher to really find offensive. Even if we try to read Gilead as a crude civilization, something very at odds with all the awkward dinner table scenes, there’s no getting past the materialist problems of such actual conservative societies. The FLDS, for example, quite literally has to abandon male children to maintain their unbalanced sex ratios, since rebellion would be inevitable. The Taliban started out with an imbalanced ratio because of the greater likeliness of dead men, and have actually cracked down on polygyny considerably in recent years as this ratio has disappeared.

Ultimately we don’t really talk very much about The Handmaid’s Tale anymore because there just isn’t anything to say. It’s a show for people who find themselves invested in June and Serena’s personal stories. Even liberal critics have struggled with trying to argue that the show is relevant, despite ongoing events, as the Rotten Tomatoes ratings has dipped into the 70% range for the last season as well as this one. This one will be another negative for that pile.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

for whatever reason the fifth season of handmaids tale is up to 80% now no idea why people watching it weeks after the fact thought the season was better than those who watched it when it was new

the sex ratio thing continues to bug the hell out of me because it seems to imply that men hate women so much theyd rather oppress them then have sex with them and that this is the secret sauce to gileads unstoppable volcel army

edit audience score is only 20% lol for reference the first season has a 90% audience score with over twice as many ratings so the impression is definitely more that people who used to like the show got sick of it rather than it just getting review bombed out of nowhere

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Mar 26, 2024

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://x.com/MargaretAtwood/status/472483587095150592?s=20

https://x.com/MargaretAtwood/status/125079946564599808?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

normally browsing twitter isnt very fun since i dont have an account and the default sort method is most likes but this was quite the one two punch

https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1542572384493912064

https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1498019643839193092

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lmao

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Some Guy TT posted:

normally browsing twitter isnt very fun since i dont have an account and the default sort method is most likes but this was quite the one two punch

stupid woman

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

hahahaha

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghislaine in the membrane

Ghislaine in the brain!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Xaris posted:

yep. bernie bros love sepia tradwife cottagecore pinterestagram influencing and would influence america into atwoodification

................./

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

You could simply vote against the violent overthrow of the social, political and cultural order.

Also lmao if people’s material conditions, gas prices, were so bad that this was preferable to status quo, it’s not a condemnation of the voters but the status quo.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

oh maybe this is how poms mary janes work too: real shoes with short spats over to give a mary jane look

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Megamissen posted:

shes a friend of G

as i was saying

Ohtori Akio posted:

oh maybe this is how poms mary janes work too: real shoes with short spats over to give a mary jane look

on the stream you missed pom took them off and they were real shoes

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I've only read cat's eye, so I'm fairly certain she hates her mom, is insanely jealous of her daughter if she has one and probably just loathes women in general.

gotta admire someone that dedicated to the concept of misogyny.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tristeham posted:

stupid woman

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Megamissen posted:

as i was saying

on the stream you missed pom took them off and they were real shoes

oh oops. i had depression

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Atwood has a perfectly smooth brain, the platonic liberal

quote:

The Kyiv Independent: In one of your interviews, you talked about the stories nations tell. More specifically, you were comparing Canada and the U.S. How do you view the stories coming from Russia and Ukraine right now?

Margaret Atwood: The Russian narrative doesn't really stand up very well, the “denazification” type of thing. If you're going to invade every place that has Nazis, you're going to have a long list. You can invade Germany, you can invade the United States, there are Nazis in both of them. You can invade Canada, we’ve got some Nazis too. So good try but not buying it.

And the other one, Russia protecting itself — from what? Nobody in their right mind would ever invade Russia, it is too big. Everybody, who has ever invaded, has had a horrible experience.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

there's a nitter thing that still works. https://nitter.poast.org

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

let's play a game it's called six degrees of liberal nazis

quote:

Margaret Atwood and Timothy Snyder to headline Ukraine benefit conference

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/margaret-atwood-and-timothy-snyder-headline-ukraine-benefit-conference

quote:

On March 17-19, the University of Toronto’s Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy will host a digital benefit conference with keynote talks by world-renowned author and U of T alumna Margaret Atwood, acclaimed historian Timothy Snyder and two of Ukraine’s leading public intellectuals: Mychailo Wynnyckyj and Volodymyr Yermolenko.

Euromaiden Press: Mychailo Wynnyckyj
https://euromaidanpress.com/author/mwynnyckyj/

Euromaiden Press: Volodymyr Yermolenko
https://euromaidanpress.com/author/yermolenko/

Euromaiden Press

quote:

Russian drones destroy Ukraine freedom fighter’s museum, hit Bandera landmark

Russian kamikaze drone attack destroyed the museum dedicated to Roman Shukhevych, leader of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA). Also, it targeted the university where Stepan Bandera studied a century ago.

https://euromaidanpress.com/2024/01/01/russian-drones-destroy-ukraine-freedom-fighters-museum-hit-bandera-landmark/

Roman Shukhevych

quote:

Shukhevych was one of the perpetrators of the Galicia-Volhynia massacres of tens of thousands of Polish civilians.

Margaret Atwood is separated by one degree to a journal that regularly publishes defenses of and apologetics for people who literally perpetrated the Holocaust.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Margaret fatwood

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
All sci-fi writers

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

post hole digger posted:

walking around my cold, empty house muttering ' margaret atwood politics' to myself. the sun is setting and none of the lights are on. my dog leaves any room i enter.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

my bony fealty posted:

let's play a game it's called six degrees of liberal nazis

Margaret Atwood is separated by one degree to a journal that regularly publishes defenses of and apologetics for people who literally perpetrated the Holocaust.

This is every Canadian liberal.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Clark Nova posted:

The book doesn't really delve too deeply into any of that, it's more about a vibe than about tolkienesque worldbuilding

(atwood herself has almost certainly said that this is one of the things that makes her a real author instead of a disgusting sci fi/fantasy goblin)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

But also, lol at the chuds just checkmating the legislative/judicial/executive king and everyone just has to obey now.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

But also, lol at the chuds just checkmating the legislative/judicial/executive king and everyone just has to obey now.

its probably going too far to say that handmaids tale discourse created january sixth discourse but its hard not to notice how theyre basically telling the same story

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is every Canadian liberal.

yeah and how many of em are writing science fiction about a scary authoritarian government taking over

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i gathered that pretty much everyone in society is a working stiff with an "econowife" who can read because its only been fifteen years

but as i recall the premise of the book is this society collapses shortly after anyway

I read the handmaids tale wiki entry on econowives and what the gently caress? They’re just normal women who have kids normally? If that’s an option what’s the point of the whole handmaid system?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

post hole digger posted:

walking around my cold, empty house muttering ' margaret atwood politics' to myself. the sun is setting and none of the lights are on. my dog leaves any room i enter.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I read the handmaids tale wiki entry on econowives and what the gently caress? They’re just normal women who have kids normally? If that’s an option what’s the point of the whole handmaid system?

no black people

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

bedpan posted:

I'd read a sequel if it was about the Sons of Yakub

there is one, here's a wiki that summarizes it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gripweed posted:

Handmaid system is to reward higher ups with fertile sex slaves/punish women. Econowives may or may not be fertile. Theres a plot point where a fertile econowife gets punished for aiding treason by being forced to be a handmaiden

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Please watch all episodes of THT before trying to discuss the lore in depth, tia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

even more than the handmaid system the martha system really bugs me because there appear to be roughly a hundred times as many of them as there are handmaids based on a scene where a handmaid and a martha are sentenced for lesbianism and the handmaid has a four digit number while the martha has a six digit number the handmaid gets a clitorectomy (i think it was kind of vague) while the martha is sentenced to death

now while its true that domestic labor can be quite intensive and soak up a huge amount of the workforce its obviously not very efficient to use working adults that way is why we dont do it anymore so why gilead dedicates so much of its economy to housework is unclear charitably you could interpret this as a form of rationing as in noones using as much electricity anymore because the environmental catastrope makes resources more valuable and human labor less valuable

the problem with this is that the world is otherwise described as being in the midst of a reproductive crisis which should also increase the value of human labor but if anything its gone down even in objective terms because as noted above a martha is sentenced to death for lesbianism theres also this whole thing about hard labor in the colonies where all the bad marthas go but its not clear whether this is useful labor that has to be done by somebody or if theyre just being forced to dig ditches arbitrarily as punishment what exactly the colonies even are isnt terribly clear because what is there to colonize even isnt everywhere anyone can go just gilead

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Margaret Fatwood and she's got a girthy cock

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ok so if a woman does something wrong she becomes a slave, if she’s fertile she becomes a breeding slave (handmaid) and if she’s infertile she becomes a domestic slave (Martha(stupid name))? And this is all done by the national government, there’s no market for handmaids or Marthas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Afaik they never mention a domestic market for handmaids, but it is implied other countries are having fertility issues and Gilead trades handmaids for stuff