Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

another thing I didn't get is that it seems there's a worldwide fertility problem and not many kids being made and the population is plummeting and they're having labor issues, so why do they constantly find new reasons to execute people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

another thing I didn't get is that it seems there's a worldwide fertility problem and not many kids being made and the population is plummeting and they're having labor issues, so why do they constantly find new reasons to execute people

they're reactionary

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the real confounding thing about the handmaid system is that its explicitly presented as agitprop as in this is why our country is so great and superior which is to say that gilead brags about the fact that they have slavery and mandatory prison rape this is supposed to make sense because the liberal perception of reactionary propaganda is so skewed they think right wingers can say literally anything and their idiot followers will believe them

for them trump is the perfect demonstration of how this is infallible doctrine as they just refuse to engage with the fact that no other right wing political figure in our lifetimes has shown trumps knack for cultivating a loyal following and that he is if anything significantly more to the left on these sorts of gender issues than other conservatives and his main political project lately is dragging the republican party kicking and screaming to a fifteen week abortion ban position with generous exceptions away from the no abortions for anyone ever position favored by desantis and haley

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

They execute Sydney Sweeney for cheating even tho she's repentant and a true believer and raised in their society, but make offred a handmaiden and give her a gazillion chances even tho she's committed the same crime + worse

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

They execute Sydney Sweeney for cheating even tho she's repentant and a true believer and raised in their society, but make offred a handmaiden and give her a gazillion chances even tho she's committed the same crime + worse

she's the protagonist

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

she's the protagonist

and a chud

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

titty_baby_ posted:

Afaik they never mention a domestic market for handmaids, but it is implied other countries are having fertility issues and Gilead trades handmaids for stuff

such is life in Obama's america

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

she's the protagonist

She should be dead! A million times over! This is Hollywood's fault

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

She should be dead! A million times over! This is Hollywood's fault

sounds like you hate strong women op

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

titty_baby_ posted:

Afaik they never mention a domestic market for handmaids, but it is implied other countries are having fertility issues and Gilead trades handmaids for stuff

What happens to the handmaids who are traded? Do other countries have their own system of fertile women slavery, or are they set free?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

sounds like you hate strong women op

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gripweed posted:

What happens to the handmaids who are traded? Do other countries have their own system of fertile women slavery, or are they set free?

I never watched fat enough for an answer to the question. It seems like a fertile women could essentially be a highly paid surrogate in another country at this time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

titty_baby_ posted:

I never watched fat enough for an answer to the question. It seems like a fertile women could essentially be a highly paid surrogate in another country at this time

If other countries are basically normal then you’d think like every one of them would have some kind of program going to smuggle handmaids out of Gilead for both the practical reason of getting more fertile women and the PR win of saving them from this country that seems to only exist to hurt women.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gripweed posted:

If other countries are basically normal then you’d think like every one of them would have some kind of program going to smuggle handmaids out of Gilead for both the practical reason of getting more fertile women and the PR win of saving them from this country that seems to only exist to hurt women.

The US govt in exile was doing similar things but they fail and its.implied that other countries are afraid of Gileads military might

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
handjobs tale

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

handjobs tale

yes, very good. let's get started on this immediately

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

even more than the handmaid system the martha system really bugs me because there appear to be roughly a hundred times as many of them as there are handmaids based on a scene where a handmaid and a martha are sentenced for lesbianism and the handmaid has a four digit number while the martha has a six digit number the handmaid gets a clitorectomy (i think it was kind of vague) while the martha is sentenced to death

now while its true that domestic labor can be quite intensive and soak up a huge amount of the workforce its obviously not very efficient to use working adults that way is why we dont do it anymore so why gilead dedicates so much of its economy to housework is unclear charitably you could interpret this as a form of rationing as in noones using as much electricity anymore because the environmental catastrope makes resources more valuable and human labor less valuable

the problem with this is that the world is otherwise described as being in the midst of a reproductive crisis which should also increase the value of human labor but if anything its gone down even in objective terms because as noted above a martha is sentenced to death for lesbianism theres also this whole thing about hard labor in the colonies where all the bad marthas go but its not clear whether this is useful labor that has to be done by somebody or if theyre just being forced to dig ditches arbitrarily as punishment what exactly the colonies even are isnt terribly clear because what is there to colonize even isnt everywhere anyone can go just gilead

yeah but the marthas are only for the upper class minority. proportionately no one has them. both handmaids and marthas are luxury items for the ruling class. everyone else wears gray and lives in a cosy studio apartment. they take the train (which is good).

all this weird domestic poo poo seems to exist only for a small number of people. not enough to impact how the greater economy actually works, which we dont see except they do "organic farming".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

titty_baby_ posted:

ivf technology might not have been as well established when atwood first wrote the book but all the same its very weird that in an otherwise contemporary adaptation with like cell phones and stuff gilead doesnt even humor the idea of artificial pregnancy theyre really deadset on having intercourse in the most miserable possible way for all involved parties

the weird thing is that the guy who first comes up with the idea is kicked out of the leadership by the end of the episode for just having regular sex with his handmaids anyway so their whole society is built around a really dumb rule that no one even seems to like so they can dedicate the energies of their limited supply of obgyns to more important tasks like clitorectomies

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Executing the preggers black lady in Children Of Men for being an illegal immigrant.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Margaret gatwood and she’s just mowin’ mfers down

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

original haters know that Margaret sucks because she's a nimby grouch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got another question. The wiki entry on econowives said they aren’t allowed to learn how to read. But it also says they do the shopping. So they’re making economic decisions for the household. They’re literally called econowives! How does that work if they’re all illiterate? How are they supposed to pick a power company if they can’t read?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how are they mandating illiteracy in a world thats only like five years removed from our own where everyone already knows how to read

thats not even a book versus show thing both make it fairly clear that june is both old enough to remember pre gilead life as a married adult but young enough to still have enough fertility to qualify as a handmaid

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Going down that rabbit hole it's extra silly because the vast majority of adults were around before the creation of Gilead, so they know how to read and are just pretending not to read I guess

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Ok so if a woman does something wrong she becomes a slave, if she’s fertile she becomes a breeding slave (handmaid) and if she’s infertile she becomes a domestic slave (Martha(stupid name))? And this is all done by the national government, there’s no market for handmaids or Marthas?

iirc the econowife stuff is mostly in the tv series and in the book they sent prisoners off to work camps cleaning up environment disasters with very low survivability. It was heavily implied through that and the fertility problems - though I don't think ever outright stated - that there had been a nuclear war

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

am i the only person who actually read oryx and crake

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Everyone soured on Oryx after the numbers became too unbelievable. No one can lose that many tanks.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

wheres the Iain M Banks politics thread

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i read the handmaids tale hoping the MC would just kill herself to put me out of my misery

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

my bony fealty posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967822&perpage=40&noseen=1#post514749395

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

titty_baby_ posted:

Going down that rabbit hole it's extra silly because the vast majority of adults were around before the creation of Gilead, so they know how to read and are just pretending not to read I guess

lol incredible

People can still read Hieratic, and of course now Cuneiform and Hieroglyphic, but their native language in latin script can just be suppressed because...?

e: Overlooking that there was a reason the workforce of industrial societies were made literate at huge state expense in the first place. It wasn't so factory workers could appreciate Virgil, it's pretty important to producing commodities.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gilead doesnt produce commodities or anything else that we can see aside from menacing looking guys with guns and maybe horses

you could read june and the other half of the female labor force getting sacked from an advertising agency or wherever it was she worked as emblematic of how most of the work we do is just bullshit to the point our population cant even outcompete neofeudalists if were forced to deal with a peer belligerent power on our doorstep but i cant imagine this is even close to the intended reading

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

titty_baby_ posted:

This is what would happen under Trump's second term...people would forget how to read

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Acting on Graeber’s Bullshit Jobs is praxis.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

am i the only person who actually read oryx and crake

i read it and liked it. then i read handmaid's tale and thought it sucked. not sure what to make of atwood now

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the oryx and crake trilogy is good and handmaiden's tale sucks rear end and merely lucked out in serving as a cultural touchstone during the age of MAGA for dumbasses to fixate on

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

my bony fealty posted:

:pervert:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

thats close but I think you meant to link the Musk Megathread instead of the Marx one

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Marzzle posted:

the oryx and crake trilogy is good and handmaiden's tale sucks rear end and merely lucked out in serving as a cultural touchstone during the age of MAGA for dumbasses to fixate on

the handmaids tale got a series to cash in on the young adult dystopia fad because since the handmaids tale was actually an adult book about feminism therefore it had to be more rigorous and thus perfect for smart older viewers who were too cool for the hunger games

i dont think any of the people involved in making the show understood that the story was primarily supposed to be an allegory and that in order to make gilead a coherent dystopia they would need to make far more significant changes to the setting than any of them were actually willing to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

i read it and liked it. then i read handmaid's tale and thought it sucked. not sure what to make of atwood now

Some Guy TT posted:

the handmaids tale got a series to cash in on the young adult dystopia fad because since the handmaids tale was actually an adult book about feminism therefore it had to be more rigorous and thus perfect for smart older viewers who were too cool for the hunger games

i dont think any of the people involved in making the show understood that the story was primarily supposed to be an allegory and that in order to make gilead a coherent dystopia they would need to make far more significant changes to the setting than any of them were actually willing to make

yeah i feel like people want More Worldbuilding than you're going to get out of a feminist allegory, and atwood can clearly write the other kind of story it's just handmaids tale isnt that, and she tried to do it with the sequel because everyone wanted her to and it sucked but she got paid so, many sides.