Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Some Guy TT posted:

the handmaids tale got a series to cash in on the young adult dystopia fad because since the handmaids tale was actually an adult book about feminism therefore it had to be more rigorous and thus perfect for smart older viewers who were too cool for the hunger games

i dont think any of the people involved in making the show understood that the story was primarily supposed to be an allegory and that in order to make gilead a coherent dystopia they would need to make far more significant changes to the setting than any of them were actually willing to make

perhaps that was the reason the series was greenlit but ain't no way it would've gotten a 2nd season without the existential threat of trump making folks seek out media pandering to their worst fears. jokes on them though, the narcissism of the RBG/clinton wing of the libs set womens rights back farther than the wildest fever dreams of right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

now we gotta vote biden no matter what or they'll double secret overturn roe v wade and republic of gilliead much :911:

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Handmaids Tale is just The Turner Diaries but for liberal feminists instead of libertarian racists. Post-apocalyptic escapist pablum where the author gets to rail against their enemies in society both by making them cartoonishly evil to the point of incoherence and within the plot itself through the protagonist’s words and actions. If you agree with the author’s priors you’ll probably like it. If you don’t agree with the author you’ll either hate it or be baffled by it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Margaret Atwood's "Siege"

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

The Oldest Man posted:

am i the only person who actually read oryx and crake

that book was good, impressively unsympathetic and also full of overtly goofy poo poo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I got another question. The wiki entry on econowives said they aren’t allowed to learn how to read. But it also says they do the shopping. So they’re making economic decisions for the household. They’re literally called econowives! How does that work if they’re all illiterate? How are they supposed to pick a power company if they can’t read?

the labelling on the packages is really good: simple, intuitive. i think they're allowed to know numbers because the milk has 1 or 2 for the fat %.

i really like the grocery store and i wish a revolutionary army would force something like it onto whole foods

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Gritty Tarantino reboot: the footmaids tale

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Weka posted:

Gritty Tarantino reboot: the footmaids tale

So instead of the funny hats they just wear regular shoes?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Some Guy TT posted:

the real confounding thing about the handmaid system is that its explicitly presented as agitprop as in this is why our country is so great and superior which is to say that gilead brags about the fact that they have slavery and mandatory prison rape this is supposed to make sense because the liberal perception of reactionary propaganda is so skewed they think right wingers can say literally anything and their idiot followers will believe them

for them trump is the perfect demonstration of how this is infallible doctrine as they just refuse to engage with the fact that no other right wing political figure in our lifetimes has shown trumps knack for cultivating a loyal following and that he is if anything significantly more to the left on these sorts of gender issues than other conservatives and his main political project lately is dragging the republican party kicking and screaming to a fifteen week abortion ban position with generous exceptions away from the no abortions for anyone ever position favored by desantis and haley

Trump is going to federally enshrine in law the right to an abortion, or even funnier, be stopped from doing so by the Democrats

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Weka posted:

Trump is going to federally enshrine in law the right to an abortion, or even funnier, be stopped from doing so by the Democrats

That would mean Trump getting in in 2024, which literally cannot happen because only the Good Guys can get in and do things. Also, it would make me anxious about a heckin' fascism happening like outta some dystopian novel about a fallen America, though I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

But also, lol at the chuds just checkmating the legislative/judicial/executive king and everyone just has to obey now.

It would be indecorus not to.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I'll have to take your word for that. I can't remember how to read since Trump last got elected.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

titty_baby_ posted:

I never watched fat enough

yes you have

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pretty rude to presume it is metaphor for Trump, not Democrats like Bernie Sanders and Carville

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1772017050770137587

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
woman forced to do shopping. This is a dystopia

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Wait, according to the wikipedia summary I skimmed, Gilead lasts like a generation, tops, before it collapses due to a Canadian expose on the corruption of its leadership?

Atwood is a no talent hack. Who the gently caress cares about corruption *or* Canadian media? And even if they did, what kind of self respecting totalitarian regime can't conquer or at least block out the Canadians?

She should have set the book on another planet, or in an ambiguous time and place, if she wanted the allegory to stick

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Wait, according to the wikipedia summary I skimmed, Gilead lasts like a generation, tops, before it collapses due to a Canadian expose on the corruption of its leadership?

Atwood is a no talent hack. Who the gently caress cares about corruption *or* Canadian media? And even if they did, what kind of self respecting totalitarian regime can't conquer or at least block out the Canadians?

She should have set the book on another planet, or in an ambiguous time and place, if she wanted the allegory to stick

lmao

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I thought no one was allowed to read?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
sydney sweeny and her buxom figure were in this show?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

so handmaid's tale is happening in the aaron sorkin universe, where jeff daniels newsman can bring down governments (a brutal dictatorship, no less)

Weka
May 5, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

Ah yes, but the irony is they have to wear only one type of outfit

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Tankbuster posted:

Weka posted:

Ah yes, but the irony is they have to wear only one type of outfit

lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

In this hellish totalitarian dystopia... women be shopping

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Weka posted:

Pretty rude to presume it is metaphor for Trump, not Democrats like Bernie Sanders and Carville

James Carville is a whiny piece of poo poo who is exactly as right wing as his GOP operative wife

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah that bothered me too. Canada would have turned back all refugees from Gilead, killing them if necessary. They would not have dared to risk conflict. Mexico migth have its own civil war if all trade with the north suddenly ceased overnigth. Much of the world would have been complicit with Gilead. Europe would still need NATO and Saudi Arabia would still like to buy arms. India and most places outside of the western nations (however you define it) would do whatever suits their interests. If that entails selling overpriceds goods to Gilead then they would happily do just that.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

it's the ultimate lib fantasy because they still view Canada as what the USA could be if we lived up to our values. they literally idealize fuckin Canada lol

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's the ultimate lib fantasy because they still view Canada as what the USA could be if we lived up to our values. they literally idealize fuckin Canada lol

Meanwhile Canada today is mulling over Soylent Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bssvubnVvgg

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Meanwhile Canada today is mulling over Soylent Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bssvubnVvgg

This an ad by a clothing retailer btw

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Weka posted:

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

am i the only person who actually read oryx and crake

It was pretty good, but i didn't care for the rest of the series

I liked the pigoons. :mrapig:

Weka
May 5, 2019

Baudolino posted:

Europe would still need NATO

Lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
why wouldn't the giant medical company invade canada in that story's timeline?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Just set your allegories in an undefined time and place so they remain timeless and not bound by any sense of geopolitics people! Its not hard! Trying to pretend Gilead is the US adds nothing and only detracts from the focus of the story!

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's because Canada kicked the US's rear end in war and Americans worship strength.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Weka posted:

jesus, that guy looks eight decades older than the last time I saw a picture of his weird fuckin head. maybe its the shambling corpses that refuse to be interred, not the broads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Just set your allegories in an undefined time and place so they remain timeless and not bound by any sense of geopolitics people! Its not hard! Trying to pretend Gilead is the US adds nothing and only detracts from the focus of the story!

Frank Herbert should have made Howard Taft Leto II.

Edit: He ends up falling into the bath and it spews out unlimited oil.