Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I’m a cis woman, but I can do a neat half-windsor thanks to going to a ridiculous girls school that had a tie as part of the winter uniform.

Changing a tyre after you’ve had a dude rattle-gun it on? Get your cross-brace on the nut and give it several hard taps with whatever solid object you have on hand. The repeated impact force will do more than standing on it.

Changing my own oil, fluids, fuses, bulbs? No probs. Diagnosing enough of a car problem to take it to the mechanic and say “seems like the alternator” or “the fuel pump seems claggy” so they think I know what I’m on about and don’t get cheated? Absolutely can do, in loving heels and makeup if I like.

Cooking? Been doing it for myself since primary school (but I don’t that often because cooking for one loving sucks and I’m tired)

Forming meaningful and lasting relationships? Heh, uh. Nah. Giving any sort of a gently caress about myself and my health and habits? Also no. If you’re looking for me I’ll be drinking a beer in bed, rotting my brain on a dead gay forum, and the cat box almost certainly needs scooping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

kntfkr posted:

bring them to ur mom's house. she has woolite

visiting mom and she just showed me how to do it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
How to gently caress

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I've had this job for over a year, and I'm still not really sure what I do.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

How to buy shares. Or engage in any way with the stock market.

...frankly I'm not sure it's a bad thing that I don't.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Also how to dance. Like, I can't even do a casual bob, I have no idea what I'm doing and it feels weird as gently caress
Learn how to not be embarrassed taking a dance class.

This is a skill people need to learn, stop being embarrassed about being a beginner when learning things.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Shithouse Dave posted:

I’m a cis woman, but I can do a neat half-windsor thanks to going to a ridiculous girls school that had a tie as part of the winter uniform.

Changing a tyre after you’ve had a dude rattle-gun it on? Get your cross-brace on the nut and give it several hard taps with whatever solid object you have on hand. The repeated impact force will do more than standing on it.

Changing my own oil, fluids, fuses, bulbs? No probs. Diagnosing enough of a car problem to take it to the mechanic and say “seems like the alternator” or “the fuel pump seems claggy” so they think I know what I’m on about and don’t get cheated? Absolutely can do, in loving heels and makeup if I like.

Cooking? Been doing it for myself since primary school (but I don’t that often because cooking for one loving sucks and I’m tired)

Forming meaningful and lasting relationships? Heh, uh. Nah. Giving any sort of a gently caress about myself and my health and habits? Also no. If you’re looking for me I’ll be drinking a beer in bed, rotting my brain on a dead gay forum, and the cat box almost certainly needs scooping.

Don't take your car to places that won't use a torque wrench to tighten your wheel bolts.

I think I need to clean my cat box too...

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

cumpantry posted:

i also suck at knots

the only knot you will ever need is the reef knot imo. all others are pretenders

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
A lattice work of loose overhand knots that i use while rock climbing and mountaineering.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Croccers posted:

Learn how to not be embarrassed taking a dance class.

This is a skill people need to learn, stop being embarrassed about being a beginner when learning things.

You are correct about your point, but also consider how cruel people are about stuff like not being able to dance.

I'm not making an excuse, I'm pointing out a very real problem, and the reason a lot of people don't try new things.

Being inexperienced isn't seen as a fact, it's a flaw. A moral failing. The lie of "talent" has led to a really hosed up social structure surrounding skill based activities. You're supposed to just Do It Right The First Time. People tell me I'm "talented" for being able to draw. No, I'm not, I've spent more hours of my life than I care to think about training, I've made more "bad" art in 15 years than most people make in their entire lives.

It's worse for a skill "everyone knows".

I guess what I'm saying is: I feel empathy for people scared to try a new skill, but also Croccers is right, go learn the skill anyway.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Actually, the best advice I've ever gotten about dancing is that the only difference between a good and bad dancer is that the good one believes they're good.

It helped me a lot, though I'm hardly going to win a contest.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
How to tolerate work/advance in a career

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Shithouse Dave posted:

When I got a new clutch in my old Mazda years ago I had to take the wheel off for some reason I don't recall now. I put the tire iron on a 4 foot pipe and jumped my 230 ish pound rear end on it. I bent the tire iron and the lug nuts wouldn't budge. Had I been at the side of the road I would have been hosed as I wouldn't have had the pipe anyway. Torque wrench, torque wrench, torque wrench.

My adult skill I never learned? How not to post on a dead gay forum while eating nutella by the spoonful straight from the container.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

I'm not making an excuse, I'm pointing out a very real problem, and the reason a lot of people don't try new things.

Being inexperienced isn't seen as a fact, it's a flaw. A moral failing. The lie of "talent" has led to a really hosed up social structure surrounding skill based activities. You're supposed to just Do It Right The First Time.
Oh I 100% know what you're talking about, I know so many people like this. Just my partner alone is like this. He'll make a thing for the first time ever and it's not *perfect expert quality* then he'll get super bummed out about it and be a sad sack about it for days and weeks on end.

I believe Talent is a thing but you don't need 'talent' to learn something, most 'talent' is something you can learn or teach to someone. Interest is more important. True talent is only important when someone wishes to be exceed beyond mastery of a skill.

Unless it's sports, you have to be a genetic freak for a good amount of those.

DicktheCat posted:

I guess what I'm saying is: I feel empathy for people scared to try a new skill, but also Croccers is right, go learn the skill anyway.
People also need to learn that it's ok to be a Beginner/Average/Just Ok at HOBBYINTEREST and not progress past that. You are allowed to be with comfortable your skill level.

Learn some of the dances from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9XrWB-u1vc

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i love dancing but i dont think of it as a "skill" and certainly not an "adult skill" because ive been doing it since i waslike 5 years old and havent really changed much about how i do it, and it still works

but im just strictly talking about moving my body to music for fun, not the formal art form. but when someone says "hey lets go out dancing" they usually just mean the former and its all good. the main actual skill involved is temporarily letting go of caring how others perceive you

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I've owned several homes and I have no idea how or what I did during any stage of the buying and selling process. I literally don't remember.

I also don't think things need to look nice or professional, just organized. The idea something needs to look a certain way beyond personal tastes is absurd.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
edit: Dating. I've never had a "relationship" that lasted longer than four months.

Bad Purchase posted:

i grew out my hair but never really learned any ways to style it or tie it back other than a basic bun or ponytail

they don’t teach this stuff in school!!

I had dreadlocks from the time I was 10 to the time I was 19, then again when I was 22 to...I think 24-ish? So basically, the times in my life when I had an excuse to have a lovely hairstyle on account of "experimenting" are long over (I'm 36). It took me what felt like a billion years to learn how to cornrow my hair, so now, my entire hair repertoire is Afro, Afro puff, and cornrows. I think about re-dreadlocking my hair a lot. :smith:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 27, 2024

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Bad Purchase posted:

i grew out my hair but never really learned any ways to style it or tie it back other than a basic bun or ponytail

they don’t teach this stuff in school!!

Holy poo poo, doing my girls' hair when they were younger was very humbling.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Earwicker posted:

i love dancing but i dont think of it as a "skill" and certainly not an "adult skill" because ive been doing it since i waslike 5 years old and havent really changed much about how i do it, and it still works

but im just strictly talking about moving my body to music for fun, not the formal art form. but when someone says "hey lets go out dancing" they usually just mean the former and its all good. the main actual skill involved is temporarily letting go of caring how others perceive you

As someone who looks really bad when dancing, you'd be surprised how few people care (like, close to actual zero). Hell, if you're vibing people want to join in on the fun most of the time.

I know it's hard to let go of the "everyone is watching me and mocking me" feeling but honestly as long as you are not flailing around to invade other peoples space, you're not visible.

I solved my issues with dancing by going to very busy bars or clubs. In an environment like that I feel blended in more. Knowing the music that plays also helps, I use Nelly (the rapper) method of dancing as I simulate the lyrics with my hand. Check out the "Hot in Herre" music video

I didn't go straight to "lmao drink more" or other shortcuts, not everyone wants / needs that and ut kinda creates dependancy.

The new study revealed dancing is literally the top way of feeling happy so get in on that action :getin:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 27, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i danced my rear end off last saturday for hours in a club of like 8 people tops and im still feeling it lol. all you really need is good music

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

how to look a gift horse in the mouth. in fact, all equine dentistry.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I don't really know how electricity works.

Like, I've wired up light fixtures and I even prototype stuff with arduino as part of my job but electricity and its laws don't make sense to me.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Rad-daddio posted:

I don't really know how electricity works.

Like, I've wired up light fixtures and I even prototype stuff with arduino as part of my job but electricity and its laws don't make sense to me.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I lucked out on the dancing thing. I was definitely the type to sit at a table and say, "I don't dance".

At a family reunion when I was about 12 years old, with live music and a dance floor, a cousin grabbed me and said we were going to dance. "I don't know how..." "Well, I'll teach you". She taught me three basic moves; overhead spins, side to side, and roll-outs.

Those three moves served me so well through high school proms, wedding receptions, and even at night clubs. My friends thought I was a dancing king; and I was just doing the same three things over and over.

Edit: Heck in high school I even got nicknamed "JT"... John Travolta... I was really just a nerd.

I would love to take some tango dance lessons, but the closest studio that teaches adults is about 2 hours away. : (

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 27, 2024

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
im an accomplished graduate of the thom yorke school of rhythmic flailing and receive frequent compliments for my fearless energy. live music ftw

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I never learned how to use the three seashells.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

how to create glue from horses.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I just move my knees and my arms a bit, I'm not going home with anyone anyway so it doesn't really matter. Nodding my head is good too.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Total Party Kill posted:

how to create glue from horses.

farm children learn this early. how low you are

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

horsing a horse

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Earwicker posted:

I mean you gotta let go yes but it's also probably a factor that you've been doing it since you were 5. It's a skill you've learned through practice, like all skills.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: Dating. I've never had a "relationship" that lasted longer than four months.

Yeah. Only (sorta) 6 months.

Also having good relationships with my brothers.

Feeling like I'm really an adult or sticking to a healthy diet/routine.

My Japanese sucks. But hey, maybe I'll be eligible for PR in 4 years or so.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

you’ll get that japanese girlfriend someday, op

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Owning and maintaining cars. gently caress cars. I hate relying on them. I hate the maintenance. I hate buying them. It's just so stressful. It's a huge reason I don't think I could ever move back here. I love trains! As the Goon stereotype goes. They're very cool.

If I ever got a chance to ride the maglev in Japan that would be so goddamn cool (admittedly, I'm not fully aware of how feasible those trains really are).

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
yeah rail network was way better than road network

hate the highways

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Never got my ride pimped. :sigh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I never learned how to suck a dick. I think that's an "adult skill"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just practice on a carrot. Double up as you work on your cooking.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I too can't tie a tie. I grew up in the UK where a tie was part of our high school uniform so my dad just did me a Windsor knot on the first day of 1st year and I loosened/tightened that thing every day for the entire six years. When I graduated Uni my parents bought me a suit and again, my dad tied that tie in a Windsor knot on me, and I just loosened it once it was time to take it off. Whenever I need to wear the suit now I just put that tie back on and tighten it up.

Never learned to draw, despite wanting to. I find my attempts so disgusting and shameful to look at that it's hard to improve.

Never learned to play various musical instruments (uillean pipes, piano) but hopefully one day I will actually just set up a schedule to practice.

I can somewhat cook, but I just hate it, so I never get any better than the absolute minimum.

Keeping in contact with old friends. Even family and specifically my brother, who I get on well enough with if we're together in person, I just never speak to him. I wish I could do better but it feels weird to just open a conversation with "hey bro, I want to be pals like we were when we were wee".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Just practice on a carrot. Double up as you work on your cooking.

then put it in your butt